Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Lord Stimperor posted:

My personal favorite fantasy isn't that B'tak is some super shy guy. In my fantasy he's an absolutely burly bouncer bro who isn't afraid to be confrontational and get in your face. Burly bouncer bro B'tak who just wants to chill and experience some peace and serenity after a long, hard day of chewing off other people's faces when they don't do what he needs them to do.
I would also be ok with B'tak being a pvp savant, who uses some dinky transport ship to lay waste to hordes of people he's suckered into coming after him.

The fantasy part is Star Citizen ever having hordes of people doing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

He looks like he’s Elon Musk’s disabled brother

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

The thought of backers cornering :females: in a bar with their tablet PCs saying "check out the space pecs on my commando" while tipping their fedoras and unsheathing their katanas has me giddy for this game to loving release already.

This makes me excited except only if they have a $27k package too because then I know they are serious about commitment and bad with money so I can easily have them give it all to me if I financially dominate them as taught by the master Chris Roberts.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

AtmaTheWanderer posted:

Anyone else surprised that absolutely none of them are catching on to Roberts basically admitting this is a cash grab? Welcome to the Series B round of capital financing.

It's fine, he absolved himself of it.

:)

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
"Most other studios start with an engine capable of doing what they want," says a sucker, in defense of CIG. :rolleyes:

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

post truth gaming

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pixelate posted:

There is a new hope in town!

bargaining phase

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

He's building metal tubes to save the space kids.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Anyone have the timestamp for Croberts saying OCS isn't coming anytime soon in the "absolved" video?

If I have to watch the whole 1h 13m of that thing I'll end up braindead....

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

"Will we get to pet the rabbits JPEGs Elon?"

"Sure just, just look over there Chris..."

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT
One thing that's always been killing me is Squadron 42's "Answer The Call" 2015, 2016, 2017, oops not in 2018, maybe 2019 if lucky ?, because as I see it, there are only two possibilities:

1. Either CIG was blatently performing false advertisement on their website to incentive impulsive sales from naive uninformed gamers.

2. Or (that's white knights defense) CIG was totally honnest in their estimations and for some reason did not recognize that a game that is supposed to release within months would actually need at least 4 more years of development ( despite simple facts like the FPS AI wasn't even started at the time ? )

Now, stop me if I'm saying something stupid cause I obviously know nothing of game development, but isn't 1) the definition of a scam and 2) the definition of incompetence ?

So, backers, pick your poison.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
Chris "Robert" Space

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nyast posted:

One thing that's always been killing me is Squadron 42's "Answer The Call" 2015, 2016, 2017, oops not in 2018, maybe 2019 if lucky ?, because as I see it, there are only two possibilities:

1. Either CIG was blatently performing false advertisement on their website to incentive impulsive sales from naive uninformed gamers.

2. Or (that's white knights defense) CIG was totally honnest in their estimations and for some reason did not recognize that a game that is supposed to release within months would actually need at least 4 more years of development ( despite simple facts like the FPS AI wasn't even started at the time ? )

Now, stop me if I'm saying something stupid cause I obviously know nothing of game development, but isn't 1) the definition of a scam and 2) the definition of incompetence ?

So, backers, pick your poison.

They actually have an answer for this problem.

3) Chris was a bit over-optimistic and his estimations were actually pretty close but we forced CIG to increase the scope of the game, making the estimations become almost useless.

At least we finally figured out that the game is not pay2win because CR says so. Iron-clad argument.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hav posted:

The Elite: 1” long, but 8” across.

The Vertisce: a floppy latex bag.

I’m glad? That bad dragon exists, but It makes my eyes water every time I swing by there.

I want a monocle so it can comically pop out when i browse.

For all my low effort jokes I've never been to that site before. I only know of them what I've seen posted in memes and crap that need to feature something insanely corny yet strangely sexual.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lladre posted:

I just received notice in the mail that I am part of a class action lawsuit. People will sue for the dumbest of things and I look forward to the one levied against Chris and Co.

No one is spazzing about how they showed vandull in the ATV?

I got one about some random battery like 2 months ago. I could have got up to like $1.06 or something stupid. It probably cost more to print the paper and mail me the opportunity to opt into this huge lawsuit rather than just mail me a check for a dollar.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You can buy gold in WOW. Does it make you a better than a fresh newbie? You can buy better gear yes, are you going to be able to beat everyone you come across? Hell no. There will always be players with more skill or better gear. Paying for advantage does not mean paying to win.

quote:

And in SC, which has a much higher skill ceiling than WoW already,

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

200 mil for an indie game and they're talking about the revenue stream.

This is gonna be interesting. This might fall apart this year.

Hopefully the rights and assets can all be sold off to a competent developer afterwards and a playable, not poo poo space sim can get made.

*licks her lips*

Are you... are you calling it? This looks like a "calling it" post and it's been a long time since one of these have come around it seems.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You're totally missing the point. There is no pay to win. You have the option to pay to do. Your ship(s) drastically affect what you can do in the game. If someone wants to blow tons of money to sit in a huge slow capital ship by himself, so be it. He won't be able to do other things such as mining, salvage, rescue ops, etc. Do you "win" by purchasing the ship you want? Or all the ships available?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

The way the top two pictures are holding the guns look terrible. I'm glad he's zeroed in on something even the artists are phoning in to dedicate his life to. I hope he never gets an opportunity to move beyond it. :)

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017

Quavers posted:

Internal Roadmap is different to Public Roadmap, accidentally confirmed :laffo:

I vaguely remember something about somebody calling this. Dunno, could be wrong. Perhaps it was on Twitter. Or a blog?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

Something something... emergent gameplay

The amusing thing was that CIGs normal art is so cluttered looking I had to look twice to see what the heck was actually going on and if there was some kind of weird problem.

I hope the role playing crowd is pleased with this. I know they got fussy when somebody was running around instead of walking.

This is the ultimate real future of Star Citizen (and any game really if it allows it): people loving around and having fun in a game instead of pretending it's their digital life.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

trucutru posted:

You can buy gold in WOW. Does it make you a better than a fresh newbie? You can buy better gear yes, are you going to be able to beat everyone you come across? Hell no. There will always be players with more skill or better gear. Paying for advantage does not mean paying to win.

I don't know if removing the cap is a big deal or not. After all there isn't a limit to how much Isk you can buy in Eve. Although if you tried to sell a ton of plex all at once you'd drive the price down I guess. RSI is straight up selling the credits however, not some sort of plex.

However the entire "is Star Citizen a P2W game" argument is kind of silly. Star Citizen is not a game, and it will never be a game.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The Titanic posted:

*licks her lips*

Are you... are you calling it? This looks like a "calling it" post and it's been a long time since one of these have come around it seems.

I'm going to live dangerously and say that within the year there will be something along the lines of layoffs of 20 or more employees at CIG or they'll close a studio between now and next summer.

I mean I just started following the drama so we'll see, but I think they're pushing their base further than they realize at this point. The attention it's getting in the wider media now isn't helping the case.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

The Titanic posted:

The way the top two pictures are holding the guns look terrible. I'm glad he's zeroed in on something even the artists are phoning in to dedicate his life to. I hope he never gets an opportunity to move beyond it. :)

If you notice the kilrathi hand holding the barrel is reversed. Cheap Korean animation would recycle cel elements to the point of absurdity, usually backgrounds like you would see in the cheap Hanna Barbera cartoons but also elements, various rendered arms, guns, torsos, etc. It's why you see a lot of weird body poses, after a while they didn't give a gently caress and whatever fit was used so long as they made budget.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I'm going to live dangerously and say that within the year there will be something along the lines of layoffs of 20 or more employees at CIG or they'll close a studio between now and next summer.

I mean I just started following the drama so we'll see, but I think they're pushing their base further than they realize at this point. The attention it's getting in the wider media now isn't helping the case.

Does the 2 weeks timeframe raise something in you ?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

trucutru posted:

You're totally missing the point. There is no pay to win. You have the option to pay to do. Your ship(s) drastically affect what you can do in the game. If someone wants to blow tons of money to sit in a huge slow capital ship by himself, so be it. He won't be able to do other things such as mining, salvage, rescue ops, etc. Do you "win" by purchasing the ship you want? Or all the ships available?

source your quotes

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Zzr posted:

Does the 2 weeks timeframe raise something in you ?

I'm not getting that reference

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

At least, that's the way I see it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

source your quotes

Assume player A is brand new, with only an Aurora. Say player B has an enormous battle fleet and tremendous resources.

A is not at a disadvantage because A is not in competition with B. Sure, if A decides to charge his Aurora at B's battle fleet, he'll get obliterated. But if A goes literally anywhere else in the universe and plays the game how he wants to play, B having a fleet makes no difference to him.

And if player B decides to be a dick and try to follow player A and grief him, then supposedly a bunch of UEE security will appear to smack down B, so long as A stays in high security space. Which all new players should be doing anyways.

And by the way, this power disparity between player A and B is inevitable. Either B starts with more power because he bought it, or because B has been playing the game for a year and A just picked it up. What matters isn't that a power disparity is possible, that's a given. What matters is how power disparities are handled.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Morphix posted:

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong as I was just getting into PC gaming as this stuff was coming out.

But isn't X-Wing and Tie Fighter before it remembered as the space-genre defining games from that era? I never played Tie Fighter when it came out, but in 98~ when I got my first computer I still remember it was THE Game that like PCgamer and NextGen talked about.

I guess what I'm wondering is who are these weirdos that love Wing Commander. Is it like the hardcore space simmers who loved Tie Fighter but when the industry moved to FPS games, they were stuck with Wing Commander being the only game in town?

The X-Wing games were far superior technically and interestingly. The missions were fun and creative, with multiple ways to do things, and also different ways to achieve victories or failures.

Wing Commander was far less advanced, with boring visuals and also was sprite based for 1 and 2, but did predate it by about a year I believe.

The big difference between them was that the X-Wing series didn't really have much of a story. You were just some random person but didn't really have attachment to the story. There was branching and such, but the story was text blurbs with an intermittent cutscene every so many missions. The game was in the missions.

Wing Commander went more for the story driven approach, with wingmen you could talk to and hang out with between missions. The game here was more in the cutscenes of people talking between the missions.

Different people liked different things. Where X-Wing went with a very standard approach for the era with story blurbs between missions and mission briefings, Wing Commander tried to make the game part of the game secondary to the usual blurbs of text. And replaced the blurbs with talking heads.

These later became FMV, as well as 3D, but the missions remained equally dull, and the story components got more expensive to make and of course slightly better and more interesting. Having Mark Hamill, John Rhys-Davis, and Malcolm McDowell really helped to send it "above the rest" as far as story and presentation goes, but ultimately didn't help the fact the underlying game was boring.

About the time of WC Prophecy/Freespace, people were sick of FMV games and the magic had turned into bullshit, and also space games were kind of poo poo compared to the newer, more exciting FPS stuff really starting to pick up speed and quality and multiplayer capabilities.

Freespace was very good, I-War 2 was very good... but nothing could save them from the death of space games at the time. And while they had fantastic gameplay, the story was still not as good as the WC movie games.

So people remember these fondly, since the era came on hard with space but died suddenly and felt "abandoned" by a gaming community in general for FPS games. You ended up with two communities, the people who wanted stories and liked Wing Commander, and people who wanted a fun-rear end game and liked the last Freespace/X-Wing style game prior to the death of the type in general.

WC had a fun story and I enjoyed seeing it, but the gameplay was very much secondary and often poo poo. 3 waypoints, milk the guys, blah blah blah. It was so horribly formulaic you didn't want to play the game, you just wanted to watch the game. So it's not surprising that CR still doesn't know how to make a game...

But today game stories have gotten significantly better. This isn't an era where there's just a text blurb between missions. This is an era where you play the game and the characters transition from movie to game seamlessly, and the artwork is nearly if not photorealistic if that's what they want. You could be fighting an FPS battle next to some actor who's interacting with you constantly.

CR is massively, hugely, enormously outclassed. Sq42 is probably looking like complete poo poo, because he thought the amount of work involved with getting motion capture to video game was trivial. He bit off far more than he can chew, and thus it's years late and millions of dollars over budget with not even a glimpse of an end in sight.

So here's the problem Star Citizen is in with its quests to be the best. Here's a game from 2015 (81M, 3 1/2 years to create):

Here's a 200M game in development for over 7 years still not out yet:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Somebody needs to remind them that they live in a game universe where humanity (and other races apparently) have developed "gravity goo" they pump through pipes in their ships to create artificial gravity.

After that sinks in, return to discussing struts and poo poo and how a race that has mastered literal gravity to the point it's not even a big deal even need to have these things anymore.

Then talk about why nobody has weaponized this gravity to make like black hole guns and such and instead live like it's WW2 except inexplicably in space.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Fidelitious posted:

Crobbers just sent out another email update which has some bold claims in it and further extreme puzzlement about why people would be upset about UEC cap removed.

Confirmed guys, he knows what the game will be and what the design is. He absolves himself of these concerns.

7 years in, nobody but him still knows how the game will be. But he assures you it's totally worth it. :grin:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

AtmaTheWanderer posted:

Also Second Life in Space confirmed.

licks lips, sweats profusely Which ship is the space dragon dildo? I might need to buy in now. Is that the Idris?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Titanic posted:

CR is massively, hugely, enormously outclassed.

Understatement of the year right here. Chris Roberts is outclassed by a septic tank. But your point stands.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

trucutru posted:

Assume player A is brand new, with only an Aurora. Say player B has an enormous battle fleet and tremendous resources.

A is not at a disadvantage because A is not in competition with B. Sure, if A decides to charge his Aurora at B's battle fleet, he'll get obliterated. But if A goes literally anywhere else in the universe and plays the game how he wants to play, B having a fleet makes no difference to him.

And if player B decides to be a dick and try to follow player A and grief him, then supposedly a bunch of UEE security will appear to smack down B, so long as A stays in high security space. Which all new players should be doing anyways.

And by the way, this power disparity between player A and B is inevitable. Either B starts with more power because he bought it, or because B has been playing the game for a year and A just picked it up. What matters isn't that a power disparity is possible, that's a given. What matters is how power disparities are handled.

Okay, now assume both Player A and Player B want the same plot of land on the tallest mountain on Hurston. Or to be the first to discover the jump point between the Bear Nebula and Parpstar. Or any of the billion other things that will bring players into direct or indirect confrontation.

You're literally using the tried and true Chris Roberts "what is winning even, anyway" excuse.

Bonus points for "Well people are going to play to win and that's not fair, so why not also turn this into a pay to win shithole?" lmao

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

I'm still trying to figure out if life is pvp or pve

I'm about to telefrag you in you car. Hang on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

Okay, now assume both Player A and Player B want the same plot of land on the tallest mountain on Hurston. Or to be the first to discover the jump point between the Bear Nebula and Parpstar. Or any of the billion other things that will bring players into direct or indirect confrontation.

You're literally using the tried and true Chris Roberts "what is winning even, anyway" excuse.

Bonus points for "Well people are going to play to win and that's not fair, so why not also turn this into a pay to win shithole?" lmao

All it boils down to, especially with how low the daily cap is, is people will be able to "keep up" with slightly above average gamer gametime. Let's say you miss a couple days because your kid was really sick or you had a death in the family. You pay a days worth of UEC in cash and it equates to the days you weren't able to play and gives CIG a little folding money to keep servers going.