Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Uh, no it doesn't? It just does flat damage.
Might be thinking of pre-rework or a PBE change that didn't make it through but her playstyle is still the same. She has a long auto attack range and you execute people trying to run away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

I have read this several times through and found it super helpful. Thanks SO much for spending the time to do that for me. It prompted a few questions.

What is the term "carry" referring to? I hear it in Rainbow Six Siege when you have a person getting all of your kills, they are referred to as carrying your team but this seems different based on the different contexts I read it in.

In your descriptions you mention "This person goes on the top lane" etc. What determines that? Should it be obvious, as indicated by a specific trait or two?

Thanks everybody for the tips.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

he1ixx posted:

I have read this several times through and found it super helpful. Thanks SO much for spending the time to do that for me. It prompted a few questions.

What is the term "carry" referring to? I hear it in Rainbow Six Siege when you have a person getting all of your kills, they are referred to as carrying your team but this seems different based on the different contexts I read it in.

In your descriptions you mention "This person goes on the top lane" etc. What determines that? Should it be obvious, as indicated by a specific trait or two?

"Carry" in this context generally means a champ that, if allowed to scale into the late game, will become such a force that they poop out insane amounts of damage and will carry the end game. You can carry a game with anyone if you dominate, but a carry champion is one that's sort of designed for it. While this has traditionally been attack damage carries, the recent meta wonkiness happening in the bot lane means that crit based marksmen (who used to make up a lot of the ADC base) have been hurting real bad.

In terms of who goes where...I used to have something for this, let me see if it was in this thread or another.

EDIT: Found it. Here's a post and what I replied:

How Rude posted:

General Meta:

Top - Tank, Fighter, Assassin (someone with good use of Teleport or can 1v1 very well)
Jungle - Tank, Fighter, a select few Mages or Marksmen work here too
Mid - Assassin, Mage, some marksmen. Generally more immobile champions go here as well as champions with strong wave clearing and ganking.

Bot Lane:
Marksman (ADC) - Ranged auto attacker that is weak early but scales into a powerful DPS machine later in the game as it buys more items
Support - Works with the marksman in bottom lane to defeat the enemy bottom lane (or keep their lane safe). Generally works well with minimum gold intake

"Me posted:

There are, generally speaking, reasons for this set up, too. Midlane has immobile mages because the line of scrimmage is closer to towers and assassins because they can easily wander around the map to exert influence. The dragon means that the lower half of the map is a little more important for early influence, which is why the duo lane is bot and not top. Because Top is removed from that early objective, they tend to do their own thing for a bit longer than other lanes, which makes some sustain important. The isolation also is the reason they most frequently take teleport, which in turn, makes good ability to make ganks (or splitpush) valuable a top laner. Top is probably the single most flexible role though. Tanks get thrown up there a lot, but it isn't horribly uncommon to see casters (morgana), ADCs (Quinn), or champions that make the other player want to rage quit (Teemo, Heimerdinger) take the top lane.

Bot lane being marksmen is true, but because your basic right click champions are in such a weird place at the moment, you're seeing a lot more diversity down there than usual. That being said, when you're just starting or you're in dumpster tier like I am, don't worry too much about what is meta. It's fairly likely that Riot will tweak balances until people can play auto attackers in the bot lane again, eventually.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Aug 3, 2018

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

he1ixx posted:

For a long time, a lot of characters were deadlocked into a certain area of the map. It's a lot more flexible now.

Generally tanky characters and skirmishers/Fighters/Juggernauts would be in the top lane because they wanted to be on an island of their own until the team started to group together. Usually top laners just wanted to sit there as long as they could and pressure enemies and draw attention to themselves. From there it splits between aggressive top laners and supportive top laners.

The Jungle would vary season to season, but it was usually champions that had good engagement tools but were weak on their own. They were great at tilting a fight in their teams favor but 1v1 against a carry were generally a lot weaker against any type of carry.

In the middle lane, you would have mostly assassins or mages. Their job would is to win their lane and snowball the rest of the map. Different mid lane champions have different roles too, there are some that are strong at pushing an opponent into tower and roaming to another lane to influence that, and there were some that were just monsters in a 1vs1 scenario who didn't want to just push an opponent to the tower but murder them over and over. Some mid laners played a more supportive role and would boost the rest of the team, it just depends.

Bottom lane has ranged physical damage dealers (ADC) and support characters. The ranged damage dealers scaled up later in the game and would take towers pretty quickly if they were doing well, and the Support characters were basically babysitting and working with the Jungler control the map and either be on the aggressive front line, or stay back and protect your carries.

"Carries" are the same in League as your Rainbow Six games. There are still one or two players per team you want to funnel all the kills and resources into, if you're not the carry you want to be supporting the ones who are. Most commonly, your carry would have been your mid lane mage, or your bottom lane ranged AD carry. It isn't uncommon to see carries be in top lane or jungle, though. Different champions have different playstyles. For example, this week Master Yi and Jax are free, you could see them in the Jungle and they would have been primary carries because they have the potential for very high damage output. Karma is also free, she's a burst mage and can be played very aggressively or used in a supportive role.

Building a team comp is something you're not going to have to worry a lot about for a long, long time in game. Right now just focus on figuring out which champions you really like to play as and once you figure that out the thread can guide you on what you need to be doing after that. Again, ARAM is probably the best way to figure out what champions you like. Once you figure out a champion you really really like, there's a handful of others that have the same playstyle and we can help you learn what role you're going to like.

The most straightforward role is still probably ADC/Bottom Lane who just wants to become as strong as they can and try and push towers down and win team fights, even in this wonky undefined meta going on right now the bottom lane champions are going to want to be aggressive and want to win the game hardest. It could be a ranged attack dealer, or a mobile mage now, but bottom lane always has one goal in mind and it's just pushing forward and winning. Every other role has offense/defense/supportive roles that just depends on your playstyle.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Aug 3, 2018

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

he1ixx posted:

car·ry
verb
support and move (someone or something) from one place to another.
"I carried my deadweight team on my back to the finish line"

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Aug 3, 2018

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
anecdotally, do people (that have been playing for 5-6 years) here think that toxicity in league has gone down or up over that time

i cant find any numbers or data from riot, unfortunately

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

It's better than it was. Passive aggressive behavior is worse, but the flaming and hate speech is way better

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i think that general toxicity has decreased but that a dumb false dichotomy has lead many players to believing that anyone who has a bad game is "soft inting" (which is a dumb loving made up meaningless thing) or trolling. i can also tell you i have some friends that i play with that pretty much guarantee someone is gonna afk or flame but thats bc of their dumb rear end attitudes, so for some people i think the answer to that question is gonna be that there are afkers, inters, and feeders in 9/10 games.

i think around the time that the riot lyte poo poo started to happen and the made up binary of "but you can feed in 250 straight games and get no punishment!" started to severely harm the brains of a segment of the playerbase. edit: the false binary being that coming up with the algorithms/automation and stuff to focus on reducing slurs in game was resources being taken away from a process that has to be manually reviewed.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 4, 2018

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’ve been playing for a long time and it’s about the same as always.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Dunning-Kruger is difficult to fight against mentally even if you are aware of how it works, and League is both extremely good at being honest about you being a bad player (missing CS, losing games), but also due to needing a large sample size for consistency, will randomly provide extreme frustration as good performance can still be punished by losing a game because other people did well. It can be difficult to just enjoy aggregate enjoyment and success over time as opposed to the very clear and upsetting ups and downs that are present from game to game. This means that overall people enjoy the game, but they respond really poorly to trigger events that their brain associates with a game on a losing trend, which of course can nullify the lane they were winning.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

most things are pretty much the same but i've noticed an upwards trend of positive reinforcement at least, more "gj"s and such

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

People have never known what feeding means. That's why Riot had to add "Intentionally" to report category for it

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Honor system has been a net positive at least. People are more likely to acknowledge good players.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

he1ixx posted:

so , here is the thing. lanes are very soft, and there is not actually a specific type that goes in a role as much as people that fit the bill. the best example is mid lane. mid lane, as the shortest lane, has the highest xp(simple trig tells you that the minions travel shorter so you level faster). the people who go in mid lane are therefore people that can sponge off that xp and grow. they want to be able to stay in lane for longer to get the xp from the minions. but also, because they are in the middle lane, they are in a position where they can bounce top or bottom to create play there.

this means mid laners want to

A) scale off levels and items
B) be capable of roaming, but be good solo

and then, of course, there is the secret third option

C) be good at killing mid laners. this is where your assassins come into play.

based off this criteria, we can take a look at a character not played mid: soraka. soraka is most usually played as a support. she does not scale well off levels and items, so she fails criteria A. she also is not very good at B, as her abilities require an ally to get the maximum value. since she can not solo lane well, nor does she scale well mid, and does not have high kill power, she is not a good mid laner.

however, a good middle laner right now is ahri. ahris spells do a lot of damage, so leveling up is good for her, and she scales well off items as well. ahri is a good roamer because her E is a hard CC, which contributes a lot to ganks, but her sustain and waveclear make her strong solo. and her all in power is very strong, making her capable of killing mid laners. for these reasons, many mages make home in mid lane, but since mages take up place in mid lane, people very good at killing mages also do well there.

fizz is a good example of that. fizz scales decently well off levels and items, is a good roamer, but most importantly, is very good at killing squishy mid laners, so he is popular mid.

when learning what champion goes where, the best thing to do is see what people are doing, and the second best thing is to just do stuff. sometimes you will die like 15 times and your team will call you useless. then you play the next game, and those guys no longer matter, and that last game does not matter, and maybe you only die 8 times this go around. over time, you get a feel for which things are bad ideas, and which are good ideas, but until then, experimenting with stuff is some of the most fun you can have in this game. my many attempts to make top lane nami work are some of the most satisfying games i have ever played(and some of them, by the way, i won)

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

he1ixx posted:

fog got a lot of it but mid has a lot of ability based champs that get the most utility out of levels, jungle has guys with crowd control or insane damage to let them survive the harsh world outside of towers, top lane can be a whole mess of dumb poo poo that ideally fills out what you lack in the rest of the lanes and bot lane? hell, stay out of that shithole. you're too good and young to go down there.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Alright, I'm not spending cash on this game right now so I'm gonna try and grind up enough for Ahri then. I regret getting Evelynn and my Fiddle purchase timing was unfortunate when his nerf two weeks after, but I've only got 2k essence left til I can snag her.

If you have a new account, Ahri is one of the five champs you will get for free alongside with Lux, Darius, Yi and one other I can’t remember right now. You get one of them at levels 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9.

Smol fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 4, 2018

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

You also get Alistair Tristana garen and... One other person. For following them on Facebook, Twitter, maybe something else.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Smol posted:

If you have a new account, Ahri is one of the five champs you will get for free alongside with Lux, Darius, Yi and one other I can’t remember right now. You get one of them at levels 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9.

She's only free if your account is level 6 or below, I'm 21.

Verviticus posted:

bot lane? hell, stay out of that shithole. you're too good and young to go down there.

I play bot lane like every single game because Tristana eats rear end and I like winning, unfortunately, it's got the same problem as Dota where if your support is dumb you just lose the lane. I just played a Talon game top where I had to 1v2 the enemy and I ended up destroying them, I love being more mechanically skilled than all the other new players and smurfs that think they're hot poo poo, but at the same time I kinda just wanna get to ranked

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

You also get Alistair Tristana garen and... One other person. For following them on Facebook, Twitter, maybe something else.
Not anymore, those were retired this week

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

What's a good hero to own the midlane with? My account is only level 20 so I don't have access to ranked yet, but I've got like 3000 hours of DotA2 so I'm pretty sure I can handle any hero that is mechanically complex, but in terms of how/when to make rotations I have no idea what the good moves are. I was playing Fiddle middle until he got nerfed. I have Talon for top lane and Tristana for bottom, jungle I don't want to touch until I decide to immerse myself and watch a ton of guides about rotations and stuff.

talon is a better midlaner than a toplaner

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

mods, new user name please

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Verviticus posted:

anecdotally, do people (that have been playing for 5-6 years) here think that toxicity in league has gone down or up over that time

i cant find any numbers or data from riot, unfortunately

hasn't changed at all imo

KingBomber69
Feb 25, 2018

by VideoGames
Bro GenCon is in my town! There are soo many LoL players and CosPlayer hos .. It's radical! Stupendous! Downright Legitness SA.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

KingBomber69 posted:

Bro GenCon is in my town! There are soo many LoL players and CosPlayer hos .. It's radical! Stupendous! Downright Legitness SA.

You didn't provide me with the decoder ring I need to decipher this post

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
INSIDER SCOOP: someone just told me Riot has a secret office in Kirkland working on a shooter

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They’re probably working on a bunch of things cause League isn’t gonna be around forever.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Yeah like an MMO lol

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Miss Fortune spills into the Quest Log with the same tenacity that she spills into her silk blouse - both taxed to contain her

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

riot games is making a mother loving battle royale.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
Kled is berry fun.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

most of the games riot has worked on post league got cancelled before they saw the light of day. im sure they've had a run at just about every genre at this point considering how much staff they have

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Radical posted:

most of the games riot has worked on post league got cancelled before they saw the light of day. im sure they've had a run at just about every genre at this point considering how much staff they have
Their first big hit was World of Warcraft levels of success but I don't think that have the means or talent to expand past that. They'll never be able to duplicate Blizzard's success

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

RealFoxy posted:

Their first big hit was World of Warcraft levels of success but I don't think that have the means or talent to expand past that. They'll never be able to duplicate Blizzard's success

I think Riot could make a game almost as successful as Overwatch if they just look at the things Overwatch did - make a bunch of characters everyone wants to marry and ignore the game itself, which really was a play straight out of the LoL handbook on Blizzard's part. If anything, I think a Riot FPS would at LEAST be more successful than Blizzard's attempt at a MOBA. Heroes of the Storm never even took a swing before it struck out but even now years later Blizzard is still parading its corpse around pretending like the game isn't dead

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Not contesting the rest of your point but a game with 5-6 million active players worldwide isn't dead by any stretch of the imagination just because it isn't a big competitive spectator sport like LoL is.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I've never played Heroes of the Storm, but the IDEA of it makes me excited. Blizzard has so many great characters from a handful of series that makes it cool in theory, but anytime I watch someone play the game it's so boring and plodding.

The inverse, if Riot were to make an MMO would probably sound really cool with nearly 150 characters and lots of interesting areas they could add makes it SOUND cool, but I don't think Riot would have the execution or patience to make a good MMO, even with Ghostcrawler on staff.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The Shortest Path posted:

Not contesting the rest of your point but a game with 5-6 million active players worldwide isn't dead by any stretch of the imagination just because it isn't a big competitive spectator sport like LoL is.

where are you getting those numbers because there's no way there's 5-6 million active HotS players

I'll elaborate: Dota shows their player stats and they have listed 10 million unique players in the last month. Now, I'm gonna say that some of those logins are just from people wanting to purchase the compendium and do market poo poo, and accounting for smurfs and the like, I would say 6-7 million unique players is a more likely number. Currently there's about 600,000 people in-game. Are you gonna tell me HotS is just shy of being just as popular as Dota2?

This is total speculation, but look at the Twitch numbers. Dota2 is totally dead right now because zero pro players going to TI in two weeks are streaming, and the game still has 20,000 viewers. An EE or RTZ stream will easily pull in 20,000 viewers alone. HotS has 2700 viewers right now, so about 1/7 of the Dota2 audience. I know those numbers aren't a solid representation, but drat, I just don't think a game with that low of a twitch audience has 5 million players.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Aug 5, 2018

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

pog boyfriend posted:

riot games is making a mother loving battle royale.

https://youtu.be/cq0N3HN1ImE

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

HotS has a solid if unspectacular competitive scene (big enough to keep Blizzards wallet open, not so big that Blizzard actually cares about it enough to ruin it) and a strong enough presence in China to run a second world championship after the actual HGC finals. It having 5m players seems fairly plausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Holy gently caress