Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sega...it's part of the charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Two days is okay if you're an independent game developer. Two days with not even a minor hotfix, when you have the resources of an international triple-a studio, with ABSOLUTELY NO COMMUNICATION, is unheard of. If Bethesda did this and 20% of their users couldn't play a new game for two days because they were dragging their heels on a patch, it would be the ultimate PR nightmare.

This should be no different, and I hold Sega to the same standards.

Its only unheard of if this is the first game you've ever played

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
They'll just patch in a new splash screen "Real Yakuza run this game without issues" and leave it at that.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
It really is different though.

1) First Yakuza game on PC
2) It's not full price
3) Issues aren't uncommon but are also not widespread
4) Bethesda's finances and PC resources are considerably different than Sega's

Like it's totally fine to feel frustrated but it's a false comparison

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

5) They have in fact responded to these complaints; https://steamcommunity.com/app/638970/discussions/0/1739964766309666045/

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I don't think SEGA is some dream office where cherub angel fountains constantly spit out gold coins into the pockets of the localization team either

like, they got out of hardware for a reason

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah, that's the one response they gave, on launch day. They haven't given any updates in the two days since.

I've been trying so many different things to fix a problem THEIR TESTERS missed. I don't want a refund, I just want a working product. But Sega seems to be hesitant to even provide that.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, that's the one response they gave, on launch day. They haven't given any updates in the two days since.

I've been trying so many different things to fix a problem THEIR TESTERS missed. I don't want a refund, I just want a working product. But Sega seems to be hesitant to even provide that.

It actually sounds like you want a refund.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Did they really miss these issues, or did they run out of time while fixing issues we never saw at release (b/c they were fixed)?

Tech issues suck. They're super disempowering and discouraging. They're also usually more complicated than they seem.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Hitting spacebar to "lock on" doesn't seem to do anything in combat? KB+M.

Otherwise game is running fine in my first 20 minutes.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Crappy Jack posted:

It actually sounds like you want a refund.

I really don't. I just want to play Yakuza 0. It's more frustrating because I almost can.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Do many of the in-game parts (like the 2 drunks you encounter at start of game) have subtitles but no actual voice acting?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

pmchem posted:

Do many of the in-game parts (like the 2 drunks you encounter at start of game) have subtitles but no actual voice acting?

yes, lots of them

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

The White Dragon posted:

game has been out for two full work days. no patch for ANYTHING. this is beyond unacceptable.

I thought this post was a joke typed by a person with even a fragment of understanding of software development but lol no it's just a GaMeR speaking their truth

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

keep in mind this isn't developed by sega directly, and that yakuza has an absurd amount of complexity to the game (see the emulated arcade titles which run off of roms)

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

pmchem posted:

Hitting spacebar to "lock on" doesn't seem to do anything in combat? KB+M.

It's not a toggle, you gotta hold it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wish you could toggle lock on, but no.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Also, I mean, I understand the frustration of buying a game and it not working, but as somebody who's been playing Yakuza games since the PS2 days, lol at the idea of having to wait TWO WHOLE DAYS for a working Yakuza game in the United States.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lock on is a trap anyway you want to be freely running around and punching people in the back of the head

Until you get Tiger Drop anyway

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

John Luebke posted:

It's not a toggle, you gotta hold it.

ah, okay.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
*people each with their own unique hardware configurations identify multiple different problems that may or may not be linked to the same root cause*

*Two days pass without a catch-all patch that fixes everything*

THIS IS LITERALLY UNPRECEDENTED

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

gaming yakuza rise up

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

To be fair to TWD, after all the hype I built up in myself the day before launch? I'd be on full Tilt at this point too and I am a software dev :v:

It'll get fixed TWD, have faith :unsmith:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ciaphas posted:

To be fair to TWD, after all the hype I built up in myself the day before launch? I'd be on full Tilt at this point too and I am a software dev :v:

It'll get fixed TWD, have faith :unsmith:

Man it's exactly this. I was so hype that I burned through what I was slowly playing through just so I could fully focus all my playing games time on Yakuza.

Well that was clearly a huge mistake.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

In retirement, Kiryu builds and repairs PC's for customers. And is always on call with Date-san to fix his spyware.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Colostomy Bag posted:

In retirement, Kiryu builds and repairs PC's for customers.
Repairs by punching them. The PCs or the customers or possibly both, depending on the situation.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Doc M posted:

Repairs by punching them. The PCs or the customers or possibly both, depending on the situation.

The PC then gets up and apologized for its behavior

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Doc M posted:

He "grocers" the computers

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

ALFbrot posted:

He "grocers" the computers

https://gfycat.com/ImmaterialDecentBluebottlejellyfish

Maybe my favorite sidequest.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I picked this because I thought the original plates were painted models for initial filming, and they needed to get a grocer for real food for cooking scenes. I was totally logical god drat it!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Do giving the wrong responses get you worse rewards? I want to see all the good stuff, but I don't wanna miss out on something good. Unless it's just crafting stuff, because who really cares about that.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Momomo posted:

Do giving the wrong responses get you worse rewards? I want to see all the good stuff, but I don't wanna miss out on something good. Unless it's just crafting stuff, because who really cares about that.

yes, but the only You Really Dont Want To Miss This SubStory Reward comes from the second time you choose between two boxes offered by Miracle Johnson

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Momomo posted:

You do get worse rewards for picking the "wrong" answers, it's usually the difference between just getting a random health drink/some common crafting material or a piece of equipment.

However, almost all the rewards can be gotten through other means (The Dream Machines for example.) and besides, these equipment pieces or weapons are really not needed, I'll say you get more joy out of picking the funny answers.

There is one exception, an item that is pretty useful, and I'm not sure if that can be found elswhere. Just remember, whenever you have to choose between black or white, pick black. Both times.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
lmao I've had games like AC Unity that took fuckin months, if not years to become playable, 2 days is nothing my dude. Not that it doesn't suck, but poo poo, with the way games get released these days I'm amazed you haven't experienced this sorta thing before.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Punch the plates! :black101:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

In retirement, Kiryu builds and repairs PC's for customers. And is always on call with Date-san to fix his spyware.

Doc M posted:

Steve Yun posted:

The PC then gets up and apologized for its behavior

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Game no longer crashing, but sometimes everything but the audio hangs for like 5 seconds. Seems to get worse the longer the game's been running.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I feel like I'm having a lot of trouble getting the hang of the combat in Y0. I've played through chapter 2 on Normal, and while chapter 1 was pretty easy aside from Kuze (and everyone says he's bullshit), even the random thugs in chapter 2 repeatedly wrecked my poo poo.

It just seems like there's never an opening to attack. All of the enemies are constantly doing tiny little jabs that hit-cancel every punch I throw. I can block them, but when I drop the block they just throw another before I can punch. I can dodge behind them, but then they turn around and hit me again. I thought Beast might allow me to just tank the hits mid-attack and get through the hit-canceling, but even Beast attacks get canceled by the tiniest bit of damage unless you pick up a weapon mid-swing. I thought Rush punches might outspeed their jabs, but nope, they're still faster than me. It's easier in 1-on-1 fights, but with groups I'm constantly getting knocked down and then knocked down again as soon as I get back up.

Is there some secret to combat that I'm missing?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Beast is all about picking up rando weapons off the ground mid-swing, if you're not doing that the recovery animations for all of its combos and triangle finishers are just way too punishing. But when you can, it mops up large groups of mobs really decisively. Turns out it's hard to block a big ol' store sign being swung at you by a human bulldozer. Beast also has really satisfying throws you can do when you grab someone, and to be honest sometimes grabbing them is faster and easier than trying for a haymaker punch or shuffling over to a random pinecone or bicycle. Also you can go straight into really badass-looking Heat Actions from a grab, one of which is a sweeping throw that takes out multiple people if you happen to be near three or more enemies.

Rush is really strong 1v1 but has almost no crowd control and no really convenient Heat Actions to keep the heat off you like the other styles do, but has unparalleled dodge mobility. The ability to quickstep three times in a row is really strong when combined with R1/spacebar lockon. It's your go-to "I need to dismantle this boss safely" style if you're not in a room full of furniture or whatever. There's also some neat unlockable gimmicks you can get for Rush style involving brass knuckles, or using punishers of your own. L1 for Rush isn't a true "block," it's a weave that functions a little like a timed parry in that it opens the enemy up for a rush combo punisher if you manage to successfully pull it off. You can also unlock the ability to L1 weave to recover quickly from being hit and, again, open up a combo, basically removing the timing aspect of it. The lack of Heat Actions means you basically can't let your guard down, though, and all of the upgrades are mostly focused on making you even better and more slippery in duels.

Brawler feels the more generic style to start with and doesn't really take off, imo, until you get its locks cleared and you can start moving into the 500mil/1bil yen upgrade tiers, but a drunken master kiryu is arguably even more of a wrecking ball than Kiryu's 4th style, albeit still slower. It also has a lot of Heat Actions you can pull off easily, and you can use picked-up weapons without also being slow as heck. Which also have Heat Actions. Importantly, if your punches keep getting interrupted, Brawler has built in Counterattacks (you can see them happen if Kiryu gets hit and flashes red, as that's your opportunity to hit Square or Triangle to counter) that let you easily punish simple jabs with powerful followups. And if you progress a little further and unlock Bacchus' training, he can teach you how to charge up Brawler Counters so that they do more damage and also knockdown enemies. Brawler counters have super armor, as it were, and can't be interrupted except by a knockdown or stun. And high-tier Brawler can prevent stuns while drunk.

Kiryu's 4th style is unlocked from completing his business sidequest chain and it kicks a lot of rear end being stronger than Rush and much faster than Brawler, with a variety of grabs, finishers, and Heat Actions. The only thing that Brawler has that it doesn't is the drunken master passives. And I am pretty sure the 4th style has a budget version of his Tiger Drop counter from the other games (that he chronologically hasn't learned yet), but it uses up Heat meter which means you can't just whip out an instant-KO on a rando baddie that jumps you.

Runa fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

It's Brawler that has the renamed Tiger Drop (called Body Counter), and imo it's the main reason to use that style. Body Counter is the poo poo against bosses.

Strangely enough, Majima gets a move called Tiger Drop that's a counter backhand, and it rules against bosses as well.