Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I would be quite surprised if Hulk still has a seat in two years time, maybe they will keep him on this year because you need one driver who knows the car but as Ricciado knows the Renault power unit already then maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I hope hulkenberg has a seat for the next 10 years (and still has no podium)

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Zaphod42 posted:

So are they cutting Hulk or Sainz?

Yeah Sainz is done.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Tsaedje posted:

Red Bull blew all their driver budget on Max's new contract and are unwilling to meet the market value of Ricciardo. Ricciardo is clearly sick of being a hostage on the Max hype train and Renault need a better option than Hulkenberg to lead their brand in F1.

If it's not Sainz at Red Bull next season I'll eat 1500's hat.

It will be Gasly, Sainz hype is over. Spanish media are pushing the story that Max is vetoing him from joining RB (because he's scared of how good he drives apparently)

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
I was kinda hoping Ferrari might clean house after another WDC/WCC-less year and clear out Vettel & Kimi for Le Clerc & Ric, but I guess Ric will get a decent power-unit now and not what ever leftovers Renault were providing to Red Bull, as well as dodge the Honda which may be even less reliable.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Something interesting has happened for sure. Autosport are saying as recently as Tuesday there was no indication Dan was leaving Red Bull when they interviewed him. Horner was apparently blindsided by it, which is hilarious to imagine.

Sainz has no love for Max, to put it lightly, so I don't think there's much will from him to be his #2.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
It must be cash, with apprehension about the power unit a distant second. Although, Ricardo said like less than a month ago there were no other options aside from Red Bull.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I was re-reading Abiteboul’s comments and it appears Honda is essentially giving RBR engines.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I'm looking at the grid for next year and, other than the seats that have been officially confirmed, there's not one driver you can confidently say will be at any specific team.

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

Where's the nearest golf course? I have to shit.
Cool to see anything other than Dan at loving Red Bull yet again, I want to see Prost tousle his hair after he gets them their first podium since they went by Lotus.

"Point-less Sergey Sirotkin" lol I doubt that was accidental.

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Honda bad, McLaren bad, hat bad, bad hat, dad hat, Panama

That's some bad hat, wicka.

*not implying you have saggy gynecomastia man titties like the guy Roy Scheider was talking to btw*

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tsaedje posted:

Something interesting has happened for sure. Autosport are saying as recently as Tuesday there was no indication Dan was leaving Red Bull when they interviewed him. Horner was apparently blindsided by it, which is hilarious to imagine.

Horner only exists to catch PR flack and distract from anybody looking too hard into how RBR operates. He thinks he is important, but if he vanished tomorrow nothing would change.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I'm looking at the grid for next year and, other than the seats that have been officially confirmed, there's not one driver you can confidently say will be at any specific team.

What if something hilarious happened and Perez ended up at RBR because they needed someone with experience.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

My body is ready for the Renault Riccireich

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Can Renault really be competitive though? IDK man weird move

Almost seems like Ricciardo just didn't want to stay with RBR.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I assume there's something going on behind the scenes, given he gave this headline interview for August's F1 Magazine

e: My guess is he was negotiating to be a #1 driver and RBR wouldn't sign on those terms; he's been consistently whining on that front all season.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

!!!

LANCE

STROLL

WDC

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Khablam posted:

e: My guess is he was negotiating to be a #1 driver and RBR wouldn't sign on those terms; he's been consistently whining on that front all season.

My guess is he wanted more money than Max, which Red Bull were fine with in March when the rumours of the big fish circling may well have been true but now that they've locked down their spots Red Bull started balking.
Renault have wanted Dan (or, imma be fair here, Max) for years, and I'd imagine they must have felt priced out at the start of the year - hence pursuit of Ocon. When Merc announced Bottas and Hamilton, I'm guessing Renault realised they had a real chance here.

I highly doubt Danny Riccy is getting the cash he thought he was gonna get when he was looking at his future in March.

I'm legit happy he's going to Renault, even if I don't think it's gonna be the most fruitful of partnerships.
It'll be a 900000000% upgrade if Newey leaves RB or starts looking at other things again. Imagine a Neweyless Red Bull Honda :vomarine:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Frond posted:

I was re-reading Abiteboul’s comments and it appears Honda is essentially giving RBR engines.
I wonder if Honda was smart enough to put a clause in the contract this time stating that if we give you engines then you have to design a gearbox that fits the engine you dumb fucks

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I wonder if Honda was smart enough to put a clause in the contract saying "don't poo poo on us every hour of every single day"

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Dan to Renault. Um.. no this isn't good.

I mean, after Max rocking up it was never going to be pretty.. but at least with RBR he can continue to be the happy-go-lucky Australian and have lols and make videos of smashing a durian with a hammer when he was in Singapore. But now.. making lols with Prost? Having a joke with the Hulk?

I guess Dan really feels this is his best chance for success going forward. Not bitter at all. I hope he's not doing this because of bitterness..

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Dan’s still on the Red Bull summer break road trip, isn’t he?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Pirate Radar posted:

Dan’s still on the Red Bull summer break road trip, isn’t he?

doing the voice over for the stand in driver? sure

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

as someone who poo poo on hamilton for moving to mercedes in 2013 when it seemed like total lunacy to leave mclaren at the top of their game, i'm going to withhold judgment

edit: lol who gave me the stroll shills tag i'm so happy

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
IN THE end, the decision was made for him. Too many missed opportunities and too many blunders that were — too often — not of his own doing meant Daniel Ricciardo had no choice but to leave Red Bull.https://www.news.com.au/sport/motor...8285636e74a9c94

Um.. everyone fucks up. Merc fucks up. Ferrari fucks up. We see the best in the game getting it wrong all the time. I don't think this is about tires at Monaco or some other strategic or management blunder. I think, I'd just get loving sick of hearing 50% of the time.. sorry there is nothing we can do about. Every time you ask me to get into the cockpit I perform, every time if there is a fuckup in the cockpit its 100% my fault and I wear the poo poo. But you cunts, sometimes its the team and sometimes its the engine that we buy as a black box and don't have any influence with. It's bullshit. I want to be with a team where I'm talking to the people in charge, really in charge. I want to be in a team that if there is an engine problem then its' our problem and my team is the team to address it. I deliver for you, why can't you deliver for me? Saying it's our 'customer engine' and sorry but we don't do windows, is not good enough.

Renault might not have the Newey aero experience or Max in the second seat, but they don't buy their engine and cross their fingers. In a engine-dominant era, thats a bad bet. Dan isn't interested in being part of that any more.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The English don't build engines. Never have.

Williams heydays are thanks to Renault. McLaren's red and white is thanks to Honda. McLaren have had a lot of success thanks to Mercedes too.

This is an engine dominant era and it's going to continue to be for quite some time. We're not going back 50 years to v12s and natural aspiration.

You don't want to be on an English team. Their once superior aero is now no longer, they advantage they carried from WW2 with their aircraft design is now known to everyone. The Ferrari as as good an aero package as any English team.

The English teams are now just a bunch of old people that can build half a car. In 2018 this isn't enough. It wasn't enough in 17 or 16 or 15 either. Daniel doesn't want his career to go the way of the English teams; dead in the water because you didn't understand how F1 really works.

Has F1 come 'home' yet?
(goddamn I hated that)

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Tony Montana posted:

the cosworth DFV would like to have a word with u

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wikipedia would like to have a word with you regarding the location of Brixworth

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
yeah yeah Keith Duckworth.. Ford paid the development bills.

If Ford financed the development, you're calling the engine British because Cosworth and Keith lead the work?

yes Duckworth was a big deal but a LONG TIME AGO and even that he had a lot of help from our American friends

In the current discussion, the English do not build engines and will not any time in the future

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Tony Montana posted:

Williams heydays are thanks to Renault. McLaren's red and white is thanks to Honda. McLaren have had a lot of success thanks to Mercedes too.

This is an engine dominant era and it's going to continue to be for quite some time. We're not going back 50 years to v12s and natural aspiration.

You don't want to be on an English team. Their once superior aero is now no longer, they advantage they carried from WW2 with their aircraft design is now known to everyone. The Ferrari as as good an aero package as any English team.

The English teams are now just a bunch of old people that can build half a car. In 2018 this isn't enough. It wasn't enough in 17 or 16 or 15 either. Daniel doesn't want his career to go the way of the English teams; dead in the water because you didn't understand how F1 really works.

Has F1 come 'home' yet?
(goddamn I hated that)

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The Red Bull is probably still the dominant aero package; it's in range of realistic wins (assuming Merc and Ferrari have bad days or it's a track they can dominate) despite an engine that's absolutely not.

Ferrari and Mercedes have a completely different advantage; they can tailor their aero package to their engine.
Merc was good in straight lines and clean air because they had no competition on straight lines and were constantly racing in clean air. Put them behind someone and they sucked. Ferrari recognised last year that they had a minor power disadvantage and made their car handle better in turns and in dirty air and the result was dramatic.
If you know what your engine is going to do you can design a much more effective aero package around that.

It's not an "engine dominance era" so much as a "you need to have control over all the pieces in your lego box if you want to win" era. Red Bull don't really have that right now and it remains to be seen if they'll get that with Honda long term.
Having a strong engine is important, but Ferrari showed you don't have to be winning the HP battle last year. Well almost did. If they hadn't Ferrari'd themselves.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
oh and we often buy real estate in cheaper and better positioned places for various reasons and thats all good and fine but lol if you think that makes us 'British'

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Tony Montana posted:

yeah yeah Keith Duckworth.. Ford paid the development bills.

If Ford financed the development, you're calling the engine British because Cosworth and Keith lead the work?

yes Duckworth was a big deal but a LONG TIME AGO and even that he had a lot of help from our American friends

In the current discussion, the English do not build engines and will not any time in the future

You are retarded.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So Daniel Ricciardo left RBR because every time he'd ask about the engine bullshit some white haired old idiot in the back would start crapping on about the FORD Cosworth and how great Keith Duckworth was

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm glad Tony is back

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Just a reminder of who Renault are when it comes to engines:

The Renault RS01 was the first Formula One car to be powered by a turbocharged engine. It was also the first to use radial tyres, which were provided by Michelin.Designed by André de Cortanze and Jean-Pierre Jabouille, it first appeared at the 1977 British Grand Prix. The rules of F1 at the time permitted 3.0 litre engines of natural aspiration, with a clause for a 1.5 litre supercharged or turbocharged engine. None of the teams had pursued this avenue, and stuck to Ford Cosworth DFV engines, whilst Ferrari, Matra and Alfa Romeo concentrated on developing Flat-12 engines for their cars, and their customer teams of Ligier and Brabham. Leading French car manufacturer Renault decided to develop a 1.5 litre turbocharged engine, and a car to accompany the powerplant.

These are the people that can put a package together to threaten Ferrari and Merc. Only these people.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

A) that team never won a championship
B) this isn't even the same team

Lmao

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Guys, I’m starting to think this Tony Montana guy might be on something. Other than his sister.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

A) that team never won a championship
B) this isn't even the same team

Lmao

me and Dan are sick of your excuses. Throwing shade when you're the biggest joke in the paddock.

So what is the proper way to say 'croissant'?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The French seem to fit a W in there somewhere..

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Tony Montana posted:

The French seem to fit a W in there somewhere..

Renault W6 turbo engine confirmed for 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Daniel Ricciardo moves to the only works team on the grid available after string of disappointing engine failures.

Current reliability stats are not the point. The point is who has the potential and capability to do something about it.

If you look at the next 5 years of F1 and have to bet your career.. are engines still going to be the biggest factor? The RBR might be quick in SOME PLACES but don't forget they engineer the car to be short and nimble and PICK UP THE SCRAPS that Merc and Ferrari drop but that's a very different strategy to attempting to win the championship and be competitive at most tracks (including the power ones, you need those too if you're going to actually win). The RBR by definition almost can't win a championship because it's so min/maxed for massive downforce because they count on having a slower engine. They're not really in the race, that's the point I think real F1 fans understand.. RBR have been a sideshow ever since they couldn't run crate v10s. So the fact they build a Monaco car and win there, doesn't really impress me.

RBR are built from the ground up to come third. Certainly in 2018. Daniel has seen this and moved accordingly. Would have been nice to drive for any other works team besides this one, but a works team is a works team and here we go.