Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Ugh, it feels wrong to ask this, but I couldn't help it springing into my head with that observation. What with being a Titanic buff from childhood pre-movie onward.

Is the Titanic the largest oceanic graveyard in existence?

For that matter, would any sunken ship with multiple hands lost on board count as a graveyard? Particularly lost subs, one would think...

edit: Crap. Would the Blue Hole? Would popular but deadly caving (diving or otherwise) sites? Would Everest, or other notoriously deadly mountains?
The top ten ship wrecks from WW2 were mostly German and Japanese troop or prisoner-of-war ships, with one Soviet hospital ship at the #3 slot. (Some of the troop ships were packed with Germans fleeing occupied territories.)

e: The Titanic was about 1500? The Bismarck was a bigger loss. The big problem I think is that most ships just didn't have more than a couple thousand people on them, tops, until modern cruise ships, and even those I think are built to not just flop over and drown.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Bismarck's the bigger loss, for sure, but the Titanic is way more famous. More people remember it, which (I think) makes the whole ship like a giant Anchor for the people who died on board and who didn't pass on.

I imagine any Sin-Eater who decides to visit the Titanic is going to have a bad time.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Goddammit. Can we get to the Vampire equivalent of Paranoia XP where we just pretend the Bad Edition never happened?

https://twitter.com/HoldenShearer/status/1025423793601306624?s=19

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Slimnoid posted:

Bismarck's the bigger loss, for sure, but the Titanic is way more famous. More people remember it, which (I think) makes the whole ship like a giant Anchor for the people who died on board and who didn't pass on.

I imagine any Sin-Eater who decides to visit the Titanic is going to have a bad time.
Also the really hosed up thing is that because of how Fame works for ghosts (you get free essence from it), even if there aren't people ghosts left, there is definitely still a ghost of the Titanic, itself. And it's probably pretty strong by now.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

oh god the replies make it even worse somehow

https://twitter.com/HoldenShearer/status/1025536638930247680

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

A Beast I am, lest I cease thence to cum

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

It's like nuWW thought to themselves "Man we were super edgy in the 90s, how can we be edgy now?" and are doing it in the most tone-deaf, hamfisted way possible

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
I'll admit, as bad as it was looking, I was expecting at least a little more interest, even if it was just bitching. It seems like its barely gotten noticed. Admittedly, a big chunk of that is probably Paizo selling pathfinder second edition playtest rules at gencon this year.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Naturally 'sure, vampires can have sex but it's not as good as drinking blood' is from Requiem and EW no storygames here.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Pope Guilty posted:

Goddammit. Can we get to the Vampire equivalent of Paranoia XP where we just pretend the Bad Edition never happened?

...you are literally the worst person to be calling them on this, holden.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Kurieg posted:

Surely there are multitudinous even worse RPG authors, because hell.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Holden has me blocked so I have no idea what's going on, but from context i assume it involves sexual misconduct

because holden covered for and excused and still actively plays apologist for the sexual harassment performed by his friend, cowriter and fellow scumbag, John Morke

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Cool, so nuWW is trying to push unwanted, unprotected sex at their sex castle LARPs.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

Holden has me blocked so I have no idea what's going on, but from context i assume it involves sexual misconduct

because holden covered for and excused and still actively plays apologist for the sexual harassment performed by his friend, cowriter and fellow scumbag, John Morke

Holden "elaborate mechanics for rape-ghosts" Shearer is calling out VtM 5e for having mechanics for pressuring people to do things they weren't originally OK with during sexual encounters.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kurieg posted:

it's really loving funny that even mr rape ghosts can look at this and go 'wait...this is rapey', at least.

It's like how Ollie North goes on Fox to accuse democrats of loving terrorists, like, yea I guess you ARE the expert here so thanks for weighing in...

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Holden did, eventually, decide that ravishing specters were a terrible idea before actually publishing a book with them in it, so he does in fact have a leg up on this guy.

(although, before you say it for me, he sure did give himself plenty of time hyuk hyuk)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

So does the orgasm rule apply to the orgasm in general or just to the, you know, nut? Can vampires below Humanity 8 spend blood or is this an either/or proposition? Are the Sabbat now the :cumpolice: ?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea wait, what the gently caress does a vampire nut, that's an actual not-minor question they just introduced for literally no reason. Like, unless blood points can force internal bits to suddenly spring to life, which was never a thing unless I'm forgetting something, we're still working with the 'Vampire gutty-works are entirely Vitae powered', they cry bloody tears and all that jazz.

So does a vampire just nut blood in some poor rando mortal?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LatwPIAT posted:

Holden "elaborate mechanics for rape-ghosts" Shearer is calling out VtM 5e for having mechanics for pressuring people to do things they weren't originally OK with during sexual encounters.

Now, see, that was just bodice-ripping.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

sexpig by night posted:

yea wait, what the gently caress does a vampire nut, that's an actual not-minor question they just introduced for literally no reason. Like, unless blood points can force internal bits to suddenly spring to life, which was never a thing unless I'm forgetting something, we're still working with the 'Vampire gutty-works are entirely Vitae powered', they cry bloody tears and all that jazz.

I'm pretty sure this was actually addressed in 2e or revised, I think in one of the companion books but maybe a core. The blush of life allows vampires to produce reasonable facsimiles of any human excretion. The same sidebar, if I'm remembering correctly, is like "technically by our dumb rules, a vampire wouldn't have saliva that wasn't just clotting blood without spending BP every scene for blush of life, but that's dumb so don't think too hard about it."

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

If you ever find yourself writing mechanics for sex you've gone too far. Step back.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
he's still best buds with a guy who did actual real life bad sex poo poo which is roughly 1000% worse than having it be in a tabletop roleplaying game

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, probably, but you could also make some reasonable guess that the blood processing leaves 'em with some plasma or something and that's what the tears and, presumably, the nut are made of.

Clearly content for the Storyteller's Guide.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Remember the requiem mechanics that said vampires cant make real art

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

So as the day looms ever closer to be finally being properly able to run my Mage campaign that I swear I'll get around to, people who actually run it:

When it comes time to do full proper spellcasting, do you actually... go through the full rules? Do you have, like, homemade reference charts printed out somewhere? Do you get everyone on their smartphones using the webapp to do the arithmetic? Or are you all just handwaving it every time?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

bewilderment posted:

So as the day looms ever closer to be finally being properly able to run my Mage campaign that I swear I'll get around to, people who actually run it:

When it comes time to do full proper spellcasting, do you actually... go through the full rules? Do you have, like, homemade reference charts printed out somewhere? Do you get everyone on their smartphones using the webapp to do the arithmetic? Or are you all just handwaving it every time?

It's really not that bad once you get a sense for the factors. That being said, unless it's a major spell they've been planning for a while my players rarely compose a spell without me walking them through their intent and the best way to do that.

And yeah if a spell doesn't deserve that degree of construction narratively, just simplify it, make the roll and move on.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I see people complaining about the art and the content so I'm going to be unique and complain about the layout.

This three-column poo poo is an actual atrocity. There are sidebars taking up a whole half-page surrounded by whitespace. There are full page pictures with weird margins.

The art isn't good but it would be passable in any indie release. The layout is amateur as gently caress.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

bewilderment posted:

There's a handy couple pages at the end that I made copies of so we could write on them (pps 325-328). Saying that, we do plenty of hand waving in non-critical moments because they could just try again anyway. I concern myself with worrying when we have to concern ourselves with paradox or we're in a situation where failure carries consequence.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

tatankatonk posted:

Remember the requiem mechanics that said vampires cant make real art
As a person who doesn't own Requiem, no, I don't, but I wish to learn more!

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Pope Guilty posted:

I know the answer is 'mature roleplaying' but the gently caress kind of games these people running? You're a vampire, you don't need explicit rules for being a rapist.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Zereth posted:

As a person who doesn't own Requiem, no, I don't, but I wish to learn more!
I think Requiem says that your character can only experience echoes of the emotions they remember experiencing in life and their entire period of undeath is merely a hellish preamble to their rightful demise and/or their eternal parasitic existence, but I guess maybe they walk that back a little considering all the other books and poo poo.

Masquerade suggests vampires may not be able to create real art, but based on the fiction it seemed like Toreadors couldn't. Malkavians could.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

sexpig by night posted:

15th-Generation vampires could have kids, dhampirs.

Unlike Dhampyrs, the children of high-Yang Kuei-Jins.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MonsieurChoc posted:

15th-Generation vampires could have kids, dhampirs.

Unlike Dhampyrs, the children of high-Yang Kuei-Jins.

What

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Relevant Tangent posted:

I know the answer is 'mature roleplaying' but the gently caress kind of games these people running? You're a vampire, you don't need explicit rules for being a rapist.

they do if they want to run sex-larps with those rules

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Relevant Tangent posted:

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

bewilderment posted:

I handwave it most of the time unless I'm feeling like being a stickler for something. It's a hell of a lot of to keep up with.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

LatwPIAT posted:

The "hiding the fact that you aren't using a condom" and "vampires prefer not to use condoms" things are even more confusing to me.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
So at humanity 10 do you have to roll to prevent awkward boners at socially inopportune times as well? Because if not, its a serious oversight.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
FATAL: WoD edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mormon Star Wars posted:

The "hiding the fact that you aren't using a condom" and "vampires prefer not to use condoms" things are even more confusing to me.
Vampires caring enough about sex to have opinions on condom use in the first place feels weird to me.