Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
I just got the CCENT. My original plan was to go for the CCNA immediately after, but the CCENT took a solid two months longer than I anticipated, and I'm not sure I can snag the CCNA without actually applying in the field. I have a Catalyst switch and a simple layer 2, but that probably won't cut it for what the CCNA entails.

I've been tossing around the idea of pursuing the Google certs, but is the CCENT worth anything on its own? I'm going to toss it on my resume and see if I can get out of printer tech world and into a job that actually uses the stuff, but in the meantime I'm torn between Google/dabbling in coding/finishing out the CCNA.

Edit: And thank all things holy for the ? command working on the test.

Oyster fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Oyster posted:

I just got the CCENT. My original plan was to go for the CCNA immediately after, but the CCENT took a solid two months longer than I anticipated, and I'm not sure I can snag the CCNA without actually applying in the field. I have a Catalyst switch and a simple layer 2, but that probably won't cut it for what the CCNA entails.

I've been tossing around the idea of pursuing the Google certs, but is the CCENT worth anything on its own? I'm going to toss it on my resume and see if I can get out of printer tech world and into a job that actually uses the stuff, but in the meantime I'm torn between Google/dabbling in coding/finishing out the CCNA.

finishing the ccna will open many more doors than just the ccent - though you should definitely start filling out a linkedin/indeed profile and put that on there to see if you get any bites from recruiters. i'd encourage you to finish the ccna if you want to get into a network based role. I don't really know anything about Google certs but having a CCNA should definitely get you some looks by recruiters - at least for some helpdesk positions.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I got a job in a NOC with just a CCENT

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I'm taking 70-412 tomorrow and holy hell I have not hated studying for a test as much as I have for this one. I want to pass it just out of sheer spite, not because it's the last piece of my MCSE.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Oyster posted:

Just take the CCNA. If you already got the CCENT it won't be that much more difficult. You don't need a real lab for it, although it helps. I didn't have one. Do you have access to Cisco Packet Tracer? I think you need a Cisco academy profile to download and use it and I'm not sure if that's free but if you can get it it's a drat good replacement for a real lab.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Labs cost very little and they're fun to play with. I got mine off Craigslist for $175.

That said, I have not done anything with my lab yet, but it makes my office look real official like and it was fun wiring everything up. It's also real useful to actually touch the equipment if you haven't already. When I finally get around to configuring this lab, the sheer repetition of configuring 3 switches and 2 routers will stick with me far better than a simulator.

The thing is, depending on your job you probably will never have to do much more than log into this stuff remotely and make minor changes/troubleshoot. But then you get a call from some assclown in another department on a Saturday afternoon and he wants you to update the configs on 6 Cisco switches and even if you know academically how everything works you're going to look like a fool trying to do this with stuffed shirt manager leaning over your shoulder and asking you why it's taking so long. In my case I was saved because the only guy on my shift with a laptop quit and they never gave me his laptop. Also no one can ever find the blue console cable, sorry.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Also no one can ever find the blue console cable, sorry.

Or get the goddamn usb to serial driver working

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Pretty sure Packet Tracer is totally free now. You just need to register an account on Cisco’s learning site.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Or get the goddamn usb to serial driver working

Or they think Ethernet cable = console cable. So they hook up the Ethernet side of their laptop to the console port of the router.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I gave up and bought an extra blue console cable that I keep in my desk now. It's easier than going down to the datacenter and finding someone to unlock the cage where they keep their...*checks notes* 10 dollar part that they can only afford one of. In probably a 50 million dollar datacenter.

The laptop thing is still a bitch and a half. Technically I should be able to borrow a laptop from another department, but I refuse to on principal. I paid $130 of my own money for SecureCRT because I am a professional. I'm not going to use Putty like some kind of savage.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Krispy Wafer posted:

I paid $130 of my own money for SecureCRT because I am a professional. I'm not going to use Putty like some kind of savage.

Preach it brother

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I’m doing ICND2 and using mainly Packet Tracer. I started with GNS3 but PT works just as well for the material with less fuss. PT requires a free NetAcad account if you want to save any labs.

I bought a HomeLab I used for ICND1 quite a bit but there’s lots of labs that are more than 3 router that’s not feasible to do on real hardware.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Configuring new switches and maintaining existing ones is a huge part of my job and I do it a lot both remotely and in person. I always keep a console cable in my field bag but if your data closets are secure I also suggest just leaving one plugged into the console port of each stack/chassis and coiling the cable up on top of the switch. That way if you forget or lose yours there's one handy. Even if I didn't forget mine the one I left in the switch is more convenient. The switches come with console cables so if you have any significant install base you'll have more than you know what to do with; if you don't, order a dozen or so as spares.

Although the CCENT/CCNA have lots of good information, I am actually annoyed by how little overlap there is between the exam material and the day-to-day of building or modifying a switch configuration. The Venn diagram of what I needed for my CCNA and what I do at work is almost entirely separate circles.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

rafikki posted:

Preach it brother

Putty works fine.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Moey posted:

Putty works fine.

I like MobaXterm because I'm a literal babby.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
MobaXterm is nice, but for some reason the security platform we use for terminal access times out on everything. Even if you set it up to input a character every 300 seconds, you'll constantly be forced to log back in 4 to 5 times a day on your RSA token.

Except SecurtCRT. That never times out. I've had the same session up for weeks. Other techs with Putty or MobaXterm are like the lives of man and I'm here a Tolkien elf.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Or just adhear to security policy and log back into your devices after you get idle booted?

Do you stick your password on a post-it note under your keyboard too?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Weatherman posted:

I'm taking 70-412 tomorrow and holy hell I have not hated studying for a test as much as I have for this one. I want to pass it just out of sheer spite, not because it's the last piece of my MCSE.

:hellyeah:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Charliegrs posted:

Hey folks I'm working on getting a CCNA Wireless cert. And I was wondering is there any WLC gui interface to play around with? Like a virtual WLC? I see that in the current version of Packet tracer it has a few WLCs but I haven't been able to figure out if they have a full gui or not.

I have to imagine that test will be hell (well not really have to imagine, I actually taught a class at a community college that covered the course...whose great idea was that?) and well the material was a bitch.

Of course if the students actually bought the proper version of the book instead of "ahem" getting a digital copy from a previous version AND if the school gave me a copy of the book instead of at the 8 week book mark it might have been different.

But still, there is a lot of rough stuff in there. Know the bands, and acronym hell. Granted, we know acronym hell but there seemed to be a helluva lot more in this one.

Christ, I got so many good stories of that class, it was like Welcome Back Kotter only a tad more funny at all the clusterfucks.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Weatherman posted:

Been there (not with that particular test) but that drat reality of watching as the clock ticks by before you take it and are thinking (I hope to hell I pass this, I really don't want to do it again) is such a quesy feeling.

And the great thing is if you pass you'll forget more than half in two weeks anyways. :v:

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Charliegrs posted:

Just take the CCNA. If you already got the CCENT it won't be that much more difficult. You don't need a real lab for it, although it helps. I didn't have one. Do you have access to Cisco Packet Tracer? I think you need a Cisco academy profile to download and use it and I'm not sure if that's free but if you can get it it's a drat good replacement for a real lab.

FCKGW posted:

I’m doing ICND2 and using mainly Packet Tracer. I started with GNS3 but PT works just as well for the material with less fuss. PT requires a free NetAcad account if you want to save any labs.

I bought a HomeLab I used for ICND1 quite a bit but there’s lots of labs that are more than 3 router that’s not feasible to do on real hardware.

Thank you for these. I dumped too much money on a catalog of courses from cbt campus, and while they served me well for the basics - A+ N+ Sec+ - they didn't really have the application for the CCENT and I found it much, much harder. I didn't know packet tracer was free nowadays, that helps substantially.

My dissonance was between the CCNA, starting the Google certs, and getting functional with Python. Right now it's seeming like the CCNA is the best first step.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I would argue if you're going to do the google cert, do it first since it covers a broad spectrum and they will (or are supposed to) get you interviews at google and other places.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So I just failed the CCNA Wireless exam. 820 out of 860 ugh. I mainly used the official Cisco Cert guide book and wow, it seemed like half the questions on the exam were things I NEVER saw covered in the book. I'm pretty amazed I got the score I did considering how many answers I had to guess. Does anyone know a better resource for studying for the exam than this book? I plan on taking it again next week.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Cisco exams are like that. You need to study the install/admin/config guides too. I don’t know about wireless but I assume it has a lot of technical white papers etc.

OmniCorp
Oct 30, 2004

JNCIA-Cloud class and voucher registrations open again. The JNCIA-Junos one may post more sessions too.

https://openlearning.juniper.net/jol-courses/

quote:

Juniper Open Learning: JNCIA-Cloud is a self-paced, web-based certification preparation program to help those with Junos operating system experience gain an understanding of cloud enabled networks, cloud service deployment concepts, and virtualized network platforms such as vSRX and vMX. Participants should have a basic understanding of networks and networking concepts.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Just wanted to drop in and say thanks. I just passed the N+ (got an 806) in part from slowly reading through the advice in this thread.

Now on to S+!! :suicide:

edit: what a loving garbage fire of an exam by the way

alarumklok fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 10, 2018

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

alarumklok posted:

Just wanted to drop in and say thanks. I just passed the N+ (got an 806) in part from slowly reading through the advice in this thread.

Now on to S+!! :suicide:

edit: what a loving garbage fire of an exam by the way

S+ was significantly easier than N+ when I took it, there seemed to be plenty of overlap and the S+ was just memorizing a few extra terms. Granted, I took the 004, don't know if that has changed with the 005.

I got a 720 on the N+, the perfect passing score.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I feel like this may be a dumb question because everyone's path is different but is the MCSA for Cloud worth it? I'm planning my company's migration to almost exclusively Azure and if I can get a cert out of it at the same I may as well

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Oyster posted:

S+ was significantly easier than N+ when I took it, there seemed to be plenty of overlap and the S+ was just memorizing a few extra terms. Granted, I took the 004, don't know if that has changed with the 005.

I got a 720 on the N+, the perfect passing score.

The S+ sounds so nice and pleasant, I might bake it some cookies or something.

My advice to any other semi-lurkers working on the N+: pretty much every question is written as if you're troubleshooting something, so if you can figure out what X misconfigured wrong or Y being faulty looks like, it's way better than just knowing what X and Y are.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

alarumklok posted:

The S+ sounds so nice and pleasant, I might bake it some cookies or something.

My advice to any other semi-lurkers working on the N+: pretty much every question is written as if you're troubleshooting something, so if you can figure out what X misconfigured wrong or Y being faulty looks like, it's way better than just knowing what X and Y are.

This is good advice. Congrats! From experience, having done the N+ studying was good preparation for big chunks of the S+, so good luck.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just passed ICND2 and with that, got my CCNA :moonrio:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

FCKGW posted:

congrats!

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

FCKGW posted:

Congratulations. I'm going to attempt to do the same on Monday. Which will be my 4th attempt at ICND2, through the other three came years ago when I was half-assing it.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

FCKGW posted:

Congrats!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

sloshmonger posted:

Congratulations. I'm going to attempt to do the same on Monday. Which will be my 4th attempt at ICND2, through the other three came years ago when I was half-assing it.

Good luck!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I was pretty sure I was going to bomb and spent a lot of time writing notes on the whiteboard of topics I didn't know so I could review on the second attempt.

I know I aced the simulations so I guess the Cisco weighted scoring gods smiled upon me

Taking a couple weeks off before I start to tackle the CCNA Security which from what I hear is a real turd

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

FCKGW posted:

Great!!!

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

FCKGW posted:

I was pretty sure I was going to bomb and spent a lot of time writing notes on the whiteboard of topics I didn't know so I could review on the second attempt.

I know I aced the simulations so I guess the Cisco weighted scoring gods smiled upon me

Taking a couple weeks off before I start to tackle the CCNA Security which from what I hear is a real turd

This is my plan too. Finished the ICND2 about two weeks ago and jumped right onto CCNA security while R&S is still fresh in my mind. So far I'm finding the OCG to be complete garbage so I've been using a combination of Chris Bryant on Udemy, Darryl Gibson and Google searches.

No idea how I passed though. The score requires a 73% to pass but my highest percentage on the breakdown was in the 60s...

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Cyks posted:

This is my plan too. Finished the ICND2 about two weeks ago and jumped right onto CCNA security while R&S is still fresh in my mind. So far I'm finding the OCG to be complete garbage so I've been using a combination of Chris Bryant on Udemy, Darryl Gibson and Google searches.

No idea how I passed though. The score requires a 73% to pass but my highest percentage on the breakdown was in the 60s...

Did you fail questions that seemed a bit outside the ICND2 study materials? Cisco likes to do that and to deploy a few questions that are new and they're trying to gauge the value of--these questions don't count against you when you fail them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah I heard the OCG is missing a bunch of info. I’ll be using a combination of OCG, CBT nuggets, 31 days and Boson. Hopefully that should cover most of it.