Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The Wandering Inn Volume I is for sale on Amazon now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Megazver posted:

Bought it on general principle. Hope it's got some editing / reformatting but either way this is currently my favorite web serial.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Megazver posted:

Kalas posted:

Bought it on general principle. Hope it's got some editing / reformatting but either way this is currently my favorite web serial.

Doesn't look like it! It looks like it's just the chapters put into a Kindle file. Like Star Child's release.

It's always struck me as a bad idea to take this approach but, hey, what do I know?

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Doesn't look like it! It looks like it's just the chapters put into a Kindle file. Like Star Child's release.

It's always struck me as a bad idea to take this approach but, hey, what do I know?

Pirate Aba probably doesn't have an editor. Wildbow got one that's helping with his eBook rewrite I understand, but he is probably more established.
I did notice things I didn't with web version, simply because I immediately activate reader mode on the web browser to give me a easier to read version. The eBook has .... colors.... which I probably missed since reader mode puts everything into black and white.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Pirateaba plays with the web format a bit; nothing important but it's cute whenever it happens. Like the first Clown side story, or the hidden text sprinkled here and there a few instances in the Wistram side story when they talk about the golems, and then once much earlier on when Ryoka meets Teriarch the first time (the hidden text reveals he's a dragon several chapters before Ryoka formally figures out what happened)

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Kalas posted:

Pirate Aba probably doesn't have an editor. Wildbow got one that's helping with his eBook rewrite I understand, but he is probably more established.
I did notice things I didn't with web version, simply because I immediately activate reader mode on the web browser to give me a easier to read version. The eBook has .... colors.... which I probably missed since reader mode puts everything into black and white.

The thing about editors is that you can pay for them, and perhaps should when you get to the point of deciding to put up your work in a more mainstream market. While, y'know, caveat emptor and all that, I think there's a world of difference between publishing a serial that people can read for free and support if they want, and asking people to pay even a modest fee upfront. It's the same reason I disagree with the web serial apps/platforms that require readers to buy app currency to browse chapters. Or the self-published authors on Amazon who release 'books' that are left unfinished mid-sentence. Being established doesn't really have anything to do with it -- among the authors whose work I've read, Wildbow seems to understand that the gap between 'guy who writes serials people like' and 'well-received author' is longer than you might first assume.

edit: And, on a personal level, I'll probably never see 'here's an Ebook of the thing you're all already reading' as anything but double-dipping your audience's wallet.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 4, 2018

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

edit: And, on a personal level, I'll probably never see 'here's an Ebook of the thing you're all already reading' as anything but double-dipping your audience's wallet.

quote:

It’s out! The e-book is on Amazon right now for the price of $3.99! I encourage you not to buy it!

Not unless you like reading on Kindle. Because honestly, if you’re reading the latest chapter you’ve already read Volume 1, right? This is just for new readers and to tell people that The Wandering Inn exists. I tell people to read the web serial right in the book’s description. I don’t want to take your money and the e-book is simply the web serial’s first volume with a nice cover.

With that said, I have an appeal! Please review the book! Anyone can do it regardless of whether they’ve purchased the e-book, and it would help me out a lot if you gave me a review. I don’t want you to just 5-star it; I’d rather you tell people exactly what you love and hate about the book, what keeps you reading after five entire volumes. I’d love to know as well.

Apparently, Amazon’s algorithms only acknowledge a product in the rankings after 15 reviews. At that point it will start promoting the book to other customers. If we can get to 15 reviews, it’ll already help out a lot. More than that and…?

Thanks for your help. I hope the e-book sells a bit, but I’m just grateful to be in a position where I don’t have to rely on it to earn enough to live off of. I appreciate everyone who pledges on Patreon, shares my story with other people, reviews the book, leaves a comment, or just reads. We’ve just started Volume 5 and I’ve finally released Volume 1. All those new readers will have a lot to catch up on. Thanks for reading!

Megazver fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 4, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Ah, yes, the age-old strategy of putting something up for purchase and truly hoping that no one buys it.

Here's the thing. If people don't want you to buy their work, they won't put it up for sale.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's literally available for free in its entirety?

You're just being... a little weird.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I'll admit, claiming that you're putting a book up for sale on Amazon but it's really just advertising is certainly an... interesting strategy.

I don't think it's a revolutionary thought that if something is available for free, and you claim that you'd, in fact, prefer it if people followed the free version, then perhaps you shouldn't take money from people. Same reasoning why I refuse offers from those aforementioned apps and sites who want to put NAH up on their service and give me a cut of the currencies people buy to view chapters or whatever.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 4, 2018

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

I'll admit, claiming that you're putting a book up for sale on Amazon but it's really just advertising is certainly an... interesting strategy.

I don't think it's a revolutionary thought that if something is available for free, and you claim that you'd, in fact, prefer it if people followed the free version, then perhaps you shouldn't take money from people.
Dude. People were repeatedly asking Pirateaba to put the e-book up. I really do not get what is so terrible about taking money from people whi reapeatedly ask you to take their money. You are literally equating it with scams.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I suppose charging money for something people can get for free elsewhere is one of the oldest tricks of capitalism.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I too get catty when people in my chosen field have more success than me.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

I suppose charging money for something people can get for free elsewhere is one of the oldest tricks of capitalism.

.... I'm at a loss for words for this. An author, who gives away his/her work for free and says 'don't buy this if you've read it' puts up an option to pay for it for new readers, who can still get it for free.

If you take issue with this, I think you are not seeing where the problem actually is.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Silynt posted:

I too get catty when people in my chosen field have more success than me.

Not emptyquoting.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

As hard as it is to believe, I am not Requireshate.

I'd be more successful if I was.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

This is dumb. Some people wanted the e-book version, some people will find it through the e-book version. Everyone benefits, and if someone really wants to donate $4 through that instead of Patreon, who gives a gently caress?

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Silynt posted:

The Patreon chapter today is epic, look forward to the battle.
[Wandering Inn]
You weren't kidding - I was fully expecting it to end on a cliffhanger but it just kept going. I'm hoping Jelaqua gets herself a new fresh body and I'm curious what levels everyone will gain out of this.

Loved it and many of the scenes in this chapter. Going to be interesting reading what happens next!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Lamquin posted:

Going to be interesting reading what happens next!

You'd think so, but unfortunately it's a Flos chapter :(

E: It's actually pretty good this time!

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 4, 2018

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Lamquin posted:

[Wandering Inn]
You weren't kidding - I was fully expecting it to end on a cliffhanger but it just kept going. I'm hoping Jelaqua gets herself a new fresh body and I'm curious what levels everyone will gain out of this.

Loved it and many of the scenes in this chapter. Going to be interesting reading what happens next!

What I appreciate more and more about WI as I troll royalroad is how in such a spectale filled chapter Pirateaba is advancing both plots and worldbuilding.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'm really stoked about the next chapter of Ward.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah the anticipation building up to the end of this chapter of Ward was nuts, it's more intense than any of the fights or other stuff so far.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the TV thing goes, but I'm also kind of dreading the seemingly-inevitable disaster it'll likely become; I feel bad for Kenzie, but her personal conduct in that situation was so weird that I'm guessing that just hearing what she did is enough to turn most people against her, and even the most stable members of breakthrough aren't really people you want on live television in a potentially hostile and confrontational environment.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Also someone in the comments came up with a Chris theory that feels like it might be close to the truth: they think he might be the Breed/Crawler hybrid from the SH9k, named Spawn, or maybe one of Spawn's, uh, Spawn. I'm leaning tentatively towards the adjacent idea that he just got got by plain ol' Breed (triggering as a result), and if he doesn't change a couple times a day the inevitable outcome comes out. :gonk:

But yeah, I like Wildbow's intrigue and such sequences a whole bunch. That's part of why Twig's hands down my favorite serial of his to date.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Also someone in the comments came up with a Chris theory that feels like it might be close to the truth: they think he might be the Breed/Crawler hybrid from the SH9k, named Spawn, or maybe one of Spawn's, uh, Spawn. I'm leaning tentatively towards the adjacent idea that he just got got by plain ol' Breed (triggering as a result), and if he doesn't change a couple times a day the inevitable outcome comes out. :gonk:

But yeah, I like Wildbow's intrigue and such sequences a whole bunch. That's part of why Twig's hands down my favorite serial of his to date.

i really doubt thats the case. i think its very unlikely that theres going to be secretly more clone fuckery in the main cast than Ashley.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Honestly I think its weird too and I get what you're saying.

It's like do something with it otherwise it's just lazy. Hire an editor, tack on a exclusive side story. Something.

This is looks just like a very easy cashgrab because some will buy it because they're stupid/kind people.

Kalas posted:

I mean. Like that.

I like her story, its one of two I actually patron because I want to read one chapter ahead. But i'd never pay for nothing.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Affi posted:

I like her story, its one of two I actually patron because I want to read one chapter ahead. But i'd never pay for nothing.

So don't. Boom, problem solved. Literally nothing changes, except now the story is available through another avenue for a different set of customers, or for her more cash free fans to support if they choose. You continue to get the exact same story for free, but people who don't read web serials (spoiler alert: that's most people) might now find the story and pay for it.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Affi posted:

Honestly I think its weird too and I get what you're saying.
otoh, I don't understand what he's saying at all. Amazon is literally the biggest online storefront there is. Even if the author's business model survives entirely on donations / patreon, obviously having presence there will be better for them than not.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

IIRC the PRT were actually really good about cleaning up the clones. Ashley and her sister got really really lucky, and part of that luck was either in being willing to stand down when the PRT came a knocking or being easily neutralized, and given the destructive potential of their power, I think they both probably stood down, especially since the original Ashley didn't exactly willingly join the S9. There's also the factor where Bonesaw wasn't going to make a bunch of kid clones, she only made young-seeming clones where that was appropriate for the person they were cloned from. Gray Boy was a kid because the original GB didn't age, the Harbinger/Number Man clones were young teenagers because that's the person Jack remembers Number Man being, and the Cherie clones were relatively young but definitely not kids, since I'm pretty sure she was 20 or 22 when she got got by Bonesaw and Mannequin.

There'd be no reason for the hybrid Breed/Crawler clone to be so young even if you went with the idea that his power prevents him from aging, and conversely he's too OLD to be a Spawn offspring imo, even if they rapidly aged.
It's not a terrible theory because thematically and aesthetically Chris does fit in with that sort of body horror, but I don't think it holds up to a closer look. Plus, there's a lot of body horror going on that's not related to the characters mentioned, because sometimes powers are just really, really gross. It feels like the theory was made in large part due to Brooding Anger or w/e that form was named, with the disturbingly literal take on 'brooding', but I think it's a mistake to read too heavily into a single a form when all the other forms are also Chris.

Unrelated to all of that, I think my favorite Chris form is Mad Anxiety. The fact that he turns into a giant bug-legged skull that just runs around and screams is actually pretty drat funny, especially since the imagery is similar to some of how I feel when I get a really bad episode of anxiety (like there's buzzing, fluttery energy trapped under my skin and I've got to keep moving, like I'm constantly screaming on the inside). Him getting into a screaming contest with Love Lost is probably one of my favorite funny background things in Ward.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

sorry bud, you're in the wrong here.

It's basically a form of advertising for the free product. Were he serious about making money from it, I'd have expected a physical edition.

As it stands, it worked because I'm now going to read the free edition, which I haven't touched before.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

As a random aside about Number Man, it always bugged me how he was able to do all this crazy melee combat poo poo (to the point of being like a Contessa-lite), since "understanding everything through numbers" doesn't seem like it'd correspond to actually being able to fluidly take advantage of that info through your movements (as opposed to someone like Contessa who has "able to execute the steps she receives from her power" as part of her power itself).

Like, the combat angle of it seems mostly unnecessary, since it's plenty effective as a non-combat thinker ability (and could still have some useful combat things that make more sense, like being accurate with a gun because you can predict the location of someone in movement more easily).

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

tithin posted:

Were he serious about making money from it, I'd have expected a physical edition.

Except that it costs more for both you and the reader, so, you probably make more money from an ebook?

For example, my rough calculations through Amazon's POD service -- disregarding that it goes past the page limit -- indicate that you would need to be charging a lot more than 3.99 to see a similar royalty share on every purchase.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Affi posted:

I actually used that wordpress scraper to turn it into ebooks months ago. When I do that, I make it a point to buy it when it gets an official release.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

The Shortest Path posted:

You'd think so, but unfortunately it's a Flos chapter :(

E: It's actually pretty good this time!

I cannot overstate how little I give a poo poo about the Flos story

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Flos and Erin importing generic ideas (theater, humanitarian aid) are the two annoying parts of TWI.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

As a random aside about Number Man, it always bugged me how he was able to do all this crazy melee combat poo poo (to the point of being like a Contessa-lite), since "understanding everything through numbers" doesn't seem like it'd correspond to actually being able to fluidly take advantage of that info through your movements (as opposed to someone like Contessa who has "able to execute the steps she receives from her power" as part of her power itself).

Like, the combat angle of it seems mostly unnecessary, since it's plenty effective as a non-combat thinker ability (and could still have some useful combat things that make more sense, like being accurate with a gun because you can predict the location of someone in movement more easily).

You ever seen those cartoons in the 90s where the nerd is stepping up to plate at baseball or something and the nerd does the whole calculating the coefficient of the Earth's spin or some nonsense and hits a homerun?

That's Number's Man but turned up to eleven. It also helps he is probably super ripped underneath all that nerd gear.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

lol imagine being this jealous of other people's successes.

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

Amazon Page posted:

(This novel is the e-book version of the free web serial. You may read the entire ongoing story at wanderinginn.com free of charge.)

...I mean, maybe it's just that I'm not a native English speaker, but that doesn't seem to read like there's nothing new in the Ebook? I mean, e-book editions of a web-novel seems like it would include editing at least, and maybe some new side story or something? I sort of think that if you wanted people not to buy it the warning would state that directly...

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

devildragon777 posted:

...I mean, maybe it's just that I'm not a native English speaker, but that doesn't seem to read like there's nothing new in the Ebook? I mean, e-book editions of a web-novel seems like it would include editing at least, and maybe some new side story or something? I sort of think that if you wanted people not to buy it the warning would state that directly...

Yes, there is nothing new. The e-book version exists because some people won't read it in web format and have been begging for an e-book formatted version, and because it lets people find it on Amazon. Don't buy it is stated directly on the link from the web serial to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

That Guy Bob posted:

You ever seen those cartoons in the 90s where the nerd is stepping up to plate at baseball or something and the nerd does the whole calculating the coefficient of the Earth's spin or some nonsense and hits a homerun?

That's Number's Man but turned up to eleven. It also helps he is probably super ripped underneath all that nerd gear.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he keeps himself in shape specifically so he can fight good. He's still way more vulnerable in a direct fight than Contessa is, but I thought he typically was a sniper?