Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

no one has posted the Ringer article about best TV episodes in here? Discuss away!

My biggest beefs:

*the Top Chef episode listed is entertaining TV, which I suppose is the point, but it's such a terrible representation of the show that it's kinda insulting to say it's the best. It literally almost killed the entire show dead.
*Parks and Rec's finale is not the best episode of the show, as much as I enjoy it. It feels more like an epilogue than anything
*WHERE THE gently caress IS HANNIBAL?!?!?

*ctrl-f Spartacus, no result*
*ctrl-f Patriot, no result*
*ctrl-f Fargo, no result*
*ctrl-f You're the Worst, no result*
*Sees that Lost is number 1*

They listed season 1 of Homeland and it's not the season finale??? Get the hell out of here.

EDIT: BIG LITTLE LIES IS NOT ON THIS LIST

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Two Cathedrals was on the list at 12, which is ok. I would argue Legion Chapter 7 should be on that list as well. It was weird to see reality TV shows and even a Price is Right epusode on there.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I don't know whether to be the most upset over Dexters season 4 finale being listed or them thinking Ozymandias was the best Breaking Bad had to offer.

No scratch that. It's The Good Place being on spot 49 instead of 1.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 4, 2018

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I liked their list of irrational number one episodes more. In part because it meant on his podcast today talking about the main list I got to hear Bill Simmons try to pronounce Haruhi Suzumiya, which was an adventure.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Pine Barrens episode of The Sopranos is in there and that's enough for me.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Started watching the first season of Shameless, and I’m liking it so far, but there’s seven (?) seasons on Netflix.

Does it fall off at a certain point, or is it worth watching it all? And is the show still going?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris Rock starring in Fargo season 4, per Hollywood Reporter

quote:

Here's the official FX description: Season four of Fargo is set in 1950, at the end of two American migrations — that of Southern Europeans from countries like Italy, who came to the U.S. at the turn of the last century and settled in northern cities like New York and Chicago — and African-Americans who left the South in great numbers to escape Jim Crow and moved to those same cities — you saw a collision of outsiders, all fighting for a piece of the American dream. In Kansas City, Missouri, two criminal syndicates have struck an uneasy peace. One Italian, one African-American. Together they control an alternate economy — that of exploitation, graft and drugs. This too is the history of America. To cement their peace, the heads of both families have traded their eldest sons."

Rock will play the head of one family, a man who in order to prosper has surrendered his oldest boy to his enemy and who must in turn raise his son's enemy as his own. It’s an uneasy peace, but profitable. And then the head of the Kansas City mafia goes into the hospital for routine surgery and dies. And everything changes.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

LadyPictureShow posted:

Started watching the first season of Shameless, and I’m liking it so far, but there’s seven (?) seasons on Netflix.

Does it fall off at a certain point, or is it worth watching it all? And is the show still going?

It's still going and still worth watching imo. The quality waxes and wanes but the characters, in general, are worth following more or less throughout-- though some of them do become worse or are never too interesting. It's a comfy show where when poo poo gets real, it gets fuckin real and usually delivers.

I'm real sad Emmy Rossum has no Emmys for it, but Showtime is always changing their mind if they want to put it in for comedy or drama and that doesn't help lmao

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's just one of those lists designed to provoke interest by putting really lovely picks in there alongside obvious ones like The Suitcase and Pine Barrens.

I was most triggered by the inclusion of Battlestar and total absence of The Shield on their "best finales" list.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Mu Zeta posted:

The Pine Barrens episode of The Sopranos is in there and that's enough for me.

I hate these stupid kinds of lists, and this one was really stretching to try and hit every type of tv fan.

I did chuckle at their inclusion of the Battlestar Galactica finale as the best episode of that series, as they immediately had to point out how it pissed off the majority of the people still watching the show.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PaybackJack posted:

I hate these stupid kinds of lists, and this one was really stretching to try and hit every type of tv fan.

I did chuckle at their inclusion of the Battlestar Galactica finale as the best episode of that series, as they immediately had to point out how it pissed off the majority of the people still watching the show.

The fact they picked that over 33 is insane.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Best episode of anything ever is Frasier's Ham Radio, not up to debate

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Was Deadwood - A Two Headed Beast on the list?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Calaveron posted:

Best episode of anything ever is Frasier's Ham Radio, not up to debate

not even the best episode of Fraiser (ski lodge bitch)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

Could the McCallister sisters stand back to back? I'm running short on bullets

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I had never ever seen Frasier in Cheers until just now and it really is uncanny how much he looks like David Hyde Pierce

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I haven't watched all of it, but I know that I did start tuning out a lot of scenes when the oldest son went to college, since he was already my least favorite character.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Rocksicles posted:

Was Deadwood - A Two Headed Beast on the list?

The Deadwood they chose was Sold Under Sin, the S1 finale. A solid choice.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ER made it onto that list but somehow they did not pick the episode where Lucy gets stabbed to death, smdh

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Lycus posted:

I haven't watched all of it, but I know that I did start tuning out a lot of scenes when the oldest son went to college, since he was already my least favorite character.

I’m still on S1 and he’s already my least favorite character.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ShakeZula posted:

The Deadwood they chose was Sold Under Sin, the S1 finale. A solid choice.

Fair, that would be my second choice.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I’m still on S1 and he’s already my least favorite character.

I really wish they had just demoted him to recurring character instead.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I would say that Lip becomes a much better character later on but that's mostly because Fiona's character takes many seasons to not be the one involved in constant relationship drama. I think of all the characters his arc is probably the most interesting one with the best twists, at least post season 3.

Frank is by far the worst character that after many seasons the show needed to drop because while Macy does a great job, it just keeps escalating to a point where the fact that he's kept around is a running joke. That said, the last season did rehab his character to some extent and take him in an interesting direction for a while. After like season four, it becomes clear that the show is just fine focusing on Fiona and that Rossum is good enough that she can carry it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I loved Lip up until he went to college, tbh. After a point he gets stuck in a rut for a couple seasons, which given his storyline makes sense but can be kind of one note. Even then I still really like the character in comparison to how some of the other siblings have turned out lmao

Agreed about Frank, though I've enjoyed him a little more the past two seasons-- but he's a character the show wouldn't hurt to lose.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DC Murderverse posted:

Nah, The Innkeepers is 22 minutes of comedy glory.

The Ski Lodge is decent, but I still think Ham Radio, A Lilith Thanksgiving, Room Service and Three Valentines are still better, too.

The first act of Three Valentines alone is Emmy-worthy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpImet3Xwgw

Timby fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 4, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahaha what even IS this ringer website? drat there’s a lot of garbage on this list

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This list is so bizarre. It’s such a strange mix of genuinely amazing episodes and then dumbass nonsense. I’m happy with most of the non-reality stuff though.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Roger Cross was in Salvation.

The wheel turns.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

Roger Cross is our Salvation.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Thanks for talking about Condor in here. I just watched the first two episodes and I really liked them. Great show so far, it looks amazing and the acting is great. Kinda getting a Homeland with a splash of Sicario vibe from it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Popelmon posted:

Thanks for talking about Condor in here. I just watched the first two episodes and I really liked them. Great show so far, it looks amazing and the acting is great. Kinda getting a Homeland with a splash of Sicario vibe from it.

I just watched the latest episode, it's pretty good so far. It's the closest thing to Rubicon we have gotten.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Escobarbarian posted:

hahaha what even IS this ringer website? drat there’s a lot of garbage on this list

It's Grantland

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you like Condor and haven’t seen the original film, go out of your way to do so. It’s really good!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

It's Grantland

That doesn’t really mean anything to me.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
After a bit of TVIV hype last season that prompted me to catch up and get into it, is anyone still watching Wynonna Earp? I thought Season 2 was a big step down from 1, but my wife and I still love the characters and their interactions, so we watch it for those moments rather than the monsters of the week or the season-long plots.

A pretty huge, surprising thing happened at the end of the second episode, and the third (which aired last night) was all about everyone trying to come to terms with it. Pretty major spoiler: Agent Dolls is DEAD, after his drugs stopped working and he sacrificed himself to save the others from the new big bad, who got away. They had a wake and a funeral, and they cremated and buried him. The actor wasn't even in the credits last night -- they used a slower, acoustic version of the theme song, removed him, and added Katherine Barrell (Haught) to the credits for the first time. It seems like a done deal, which was a hell of a move so early in the season.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Escobarbarian posted:

It's the pop culture site Bill Simmons founded after was fired from ESPN. A bunch of the site's writers and editors came from his previous vanity site at ESPN called Grantland.

Sirotan posted:

ER made it onto that list but somehow they did not pick the episode where Lucy gets stabbed to death, smdh

Huh, I was convinced that episode aired in the 90's, and wasn't eligible, but nope 2000.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The thing that confused me most about that list wasn't that "Ozymandias" was on it, it's that the writer apparently somehow missed that the phone call Walt does is just about the only time he ISN'T being terrible to Skyler, he is saying all that horrible stuff for the explicit purpose of saving her from going down with him

Like it's not subtext. It's text!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

A lot of people missed that, including people here.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The thing that confuses me the most is that people would think Ozymandias is a controversial choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

A lot of people missed that, including people here.

I don't remember that, but I think I stopped reading the threads by the last season.

But also I'm not surprised either, lmao

Escobarbarian posted:

The thing that confuses me the most is that people would think Ozymandias is a controversial choice

Is it controversial to think it's not the best episode of the series? I'm not saying it isn't pretty close, but I feel comfortable saying there are probably at least 5 other episodes that are "better".