Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Haha that guy isn't even going to be the JEB! of the next primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
What's Universal Basic Wealth, as opposed to income?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Seyser Koze posted:

it's the same concept but mixed with a general idea that things like CEO pay limits are good and billionaires are bullshit and shouldn't exist. Basically 'we should provide both basic income and an environment where the uber-rich aren't so vastly above everyone else because both those are important in keeping a just society'

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

Seyser Koze posted:

On the site, they list Universal Basic Wealth as "giving every American a $5,000 savings account at birth that they can access when they turn 18, often called a 'baby bond'".

Here's the questions in the poll for Basic Income and Basic Wealth:

quote:

Would you support or oppose giving every American a monthly check from the government of $1,000, which would be paid for by raising taxes on individuals earning more than $150,000 a year?

Would you support or oppose giving every American a $5,000 savings account at birth that they can access when they turn 18?

Resonance22 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 4, 2018

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Was that the thing where there was a massively limited list on what you could actually spend the money on, like starting a small business, or am I thinking of something else?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Fostering fear of a foreign government that's trying to gently caress with our election systems to keep left-wing candidates out of office and keep Republicans elected seems pretty logical to me.

most leftists (rightly imo) see the dem establishment as doing more to keep left-wing candidates out of office than the GOP + russia meddling combined.

most leftists (rightly imo) also see Red Scare Redux as a weaksauce attempt by the dem establishment to sidestep any blame landing on the dem establishment.

most leftists (rightly imo) also see that the enemies of economic justice reside in both parties' pols being beholden to corporate donors and special interests.

we fear our government (congress included) more than we fear the russians; hth.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Fostering fear of a foreign government that's trying to gently caress with our election systems to keep left-wing candidates out of office and keep Republicans elected seems pretty logical to me.

1) Just loving LOL if you think you can push Russiagate from the left harder than centrists and conservatives can push it from the right.

2) This strategy is explicitly racist and morally repugnant. Just saying.

3) Making Russia the villain points popular anger away from the rich and towards an enemy that (superficially) has an awful lot in common with the left. It’s bad optics.

4) Literally any other issue will get better traction with a wider base of people. Wait until someone is smart enough to openly run on jailing bankers. It will be a goddamn bloodbath.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 4, 2018

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

What's this about?
https://twitter.com/arictoler/status/1025404059040342017?s=21

If you're unfamiliar Bellingcat is run by D&D mod Brown Moses.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ytlaya posted:

To be honest this is something you're just kind of blindly asserting, and I think you're heavily overestimating the extent to which people actually care about this.

Think of it this way; the US is already friendly with or influenced by many other countries. People only care if they specifically really dislike the country in question (and don't have something more directly personal to worry about, like poverty or whatever), and most people who aren't already Democratic partisans aren't super hostile to Russia.

This isn't going to succeed because the message will be almost entirely coming from partisan Democrats (and, as mentioned, people won't care unless you can very directly link Russia to their own personal issues). And I'm not even sure if I'd want it to succeed, since that's an awfully dangerous path to head down with another nuclear power.

I feel like we're already walking that path regardless once the Russian government started loving with our elections. Past that, I take it you didn't see "Rocky IV" in the theater when it came out? I feel like there's an age divide operating here.

Willa Rogers posted:

most leftists (rightly imo) see the dem establishment as doing more to keep left-wing candidates out of office than the GOP + russia meddling combined.

most leftists (rightly imo) also see Red Scare Redux as a weaksauce attempt by the dem establishment to sidestep any blame landing on the dem establishment.

most leftists (rightly imo) also see that the enemies of economic justice reside in both parties' pols being beholden to corporate donors and special interests.

we fear our government (congress included) more than we fear the russians; hth.

I don't think anything I said above was in any way arguing against any of those premises. It's been a long day so maybe I'm misremembering something I said earlier, but I think I was pretty clear that I was talking about narratives in parallel, not choosing one or the other. The post that started this was explicitly about how to pivot from the Russia narrative to discussions of economic injustice, for example.

A lot of this discussion boils down to

me: "I think we can, possibly, talk about two bad things simultaneously, and perhaps even link the discussion"

a bunch of galaxy brains: "NO ONLY ONE THING"

And as above -- y'all may even be correct that it's actually impossible to talk about more than one thing, given how much everyone freaked out at the proposition that two things be talked about, but that just means I'm wrong about a tactic, it doesn't mean I'm some sort of crypto-fascist who secretly supports corporate donors, special interests, or the Dem establishment.

B B posted:

This is a pretty good argument for leaving the Russian narrative exactly where it belongs: in the hands of Robert Mueller and his team.

It's got no place in a political campaign, because it clouds out other issues that voters actually care about and will actually vote for, which is not something that's true of the Russia narrative.

I'd meant to let your post here be the last word because, as above, I think I have to admit, given the course of the above discussion, that the Russian narrative is profoundly distracting from progressive messages, but I do then have one real question:

This Russian narrative is already out there. Just not talking about it is not an option. How can progressives pivot from the Russia narrative to talking about actual progressive policy and progressive change? Obviously my idea above ("Trump betrayed you on Russia, just like he is betraying you on [social policy]" isn't working, at least for this audience.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

readingatwork posted:

2) This strategy is explicitly racist

Yeah, no, gently caress off.

1) Putin and the russian government are not a race -- at worst, as Condiv pointed out above, the argument I was making was nationalistic

2) Even if somehow Putin was a race, In America russians are uniformly viewed as white people, that's why Trump lovers all love Putin

3) You can't be racist against Putin for the same reasons you can't be racist against white people, there's no such thing as systemic oppression against billionaire oligarchs

If you want to accuse me of making an argument based in nationalism that's fair and I'll take that hit.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL8yHt4lOcY

msnbc just sucking up to the koch brothers as hard as they can

jesus loving christ

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

He's right.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

1) Putin and the russian government are not a race -- at worst, as Condiv pointed out above, the argument I was making was nationalistic

2) Even if somehow Putin was a race, In America russians are uniformly viewed as white people, that's why Trump lovers all love Putin

3) You can't be racist against Putin for the same reasons you can't be racist against white people, there's no such thing as systemic oppression against billionaire oligarchs

If you want to accuse me of making an argument based in nationalism that's fair and I'll take that hit.

1) Even if you tiptoe around an overtly race-based strategy you’re still playing essentially the same game. Rather than actually deal with real issues you are instead choosing to push responsibility for America’s problems off onto an unpopular “other”. A strategy that has only ever had negative consequences.

2) This is only true until it isn’t. If you do something like, I don’t know, engage an a decade-long propaganda campaign casting Russians as the shadowy cause of all America’s woes that could quickly change.

3) You CAN be racist against Russian immigrants though. If you gin up paranoia enough I guarantee you’ll start seeing them pay the price for it the way American Muslims are now paying the price for nearly 20 years of making “terrorists” (who are NOT a race!!!) the ultimate evil.

Seriously dude, you’re playing with fire in the worst possible way here.

Also: 4) Wait wtf why is being a nationalist any better!?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A lot of this discussion boils down to

me: "I think we can, possibly, talk about two bad things simultaneously, and perhaps even link the discussion"

a bunch of galaxy brains: "NO ONLY ONE THING"

And as above -- y'all may even be correct that it's actually impossible to talk about more than one thing, given how much everyone freaked out at the proposition that two things be talked about

It's more like we all watched the 2016 election message from Hillary's campaign, and it was basically all one thing (that thing being "Trump bad") despite her having many many many other messages, so yea, campaigns kind of end up being about one thing to most people because most people don't go around looking for nuance.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Asking the left to fall in line behind the Russia narrative is asking them to take on very real risks to themselves without absolutely nothing to gain. Even without any traction outside the lanyard universe, the Russia narrative has been used to discredit activists and shut down counter protests. Here are examples of NPR trying to smear Anoa Changa as a Russian stooge and Facebook shutting down the organization page as well as several accounts for people trying to counter protest Unite the Right.

https://forward.com/opinion/399491/i-was-smeared-by-npr-for-being-a-black-activist-trying-to-get-my-message/
https://gizmodo.com/facebook-censors-u-s-activists-after-falsely-claiming-1828018471

McCarthyism didn't start with McCarthy, it started with LBJ ginning up the threat of Communist agitators. I'd also like to point out that a previous smear touted by centrists, the Alt Left, was used by Nazis to justify violence against counter protesters resulting in injury and death.

What happens if this works for the Democrats and they use it as leverage to marginalize anyone on the left that doesn't agree with them? What if the Republicans take hold of it and use it as justification to commit violence against and imprison people on their left? All for what, so that Democrats don't have to have a platform that addresses any of their bases material concerns and some assholes can win the betting pool on PredictIt?

B B
Dec 1, 2005

This Russian narrative is already out there. Just not talking about it is not an option. How can progressives pivot from the Russia narrative to talking about actual progressive policy and progressive change? Obviously my idea above ("Trump betrayed you on Russia, just like he is betraying you on [social policy]" isn't working, at least for this audience.

A sampling of how you can advance a positive vision without even mentioning Russia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq3QXIVR0bs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur-K0sCHcSk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6zAyPRbels

B B fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 4, 2018

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Gen X worst generation. At least the boomers got to be hopeful hippies. We've always been poo poo.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

WampaLord posted:

It's more like we all watched the 2016 election message from Hillary's campaign, and it was basically all one thing (that thing being "Trump bad") despite her having many many many other messages, so yea, campaigns kind of end up being about one thing to most people because most people don't go around looking for nuance.

not to mention her reliance on the RUSSIA! strategy in 2016; from a huffpo post-mortem that year:

quote:

The topics of the presidential debates further illustrate the absurd nature of the anti-Russian point scoring throughout the campaign. In all four presidential debates, Russia was mentioned 178 times and was the most discussed topic. Meanwhile, the national debt, social security, the Supreme Court, racism, income inequality, climate change and privacy were mentioned a total of 83 times combined. Instead of addressing the issues that will impact working Americans every single day, Clinton favoured hawkish, unhinged discourse towards a foreign superpower. Even worse, all of her claims have been proven to be intellectually and morally bankrupt.

Why would something that failed to move the needle for dems in 2016 become a good strategy for them four years later, when so much else has gone or stayed wrong in our country?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"I'm not racist, I'm just hyper nationalist" is a bold play for dems.

Remember when MSNBC literally did a story about Russian anchor babies like that was a normal thing

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
It's not as if Democrats couldn't run on economics and then also fix our election security once they're in office. The only reason to run on Russia is if there's reason to believe it's a more compelling issue for Democratic and undecided voters than whatever other issues you could focus on, which I don't think HA has established.

Or, of course, if you just don't want to actually embrace leftist positions on health care, education, public works, etc. Which is the actual reason that any Dem would go near it.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, the overlap between "aggressive nationalism" and xenophobia is clear. I mean in this forum Russians are already considered "Non-European" and "Asiatic" according to some posters, and everyone knows what type of dog-whistle that is. Also, honestly, not only have the Democrats have done a poor job of separating the Russian Government and its people (it doesn't help that the American press has no clue about what is happening there), but they are even struggling to separate contemporary Russia with the f'ing Soviet Union.

It is very clear a battle that the left is almost certainly going to lose out on. "National Security," nationalism, and old-school red-baiting aren't things the left traditionally backs for a reason.

If the answer to this was to focus on securing the integrity of our voting system it would be one thing, but that seems to have been ignored in favor of partisan hackery and punching leftward.

(Also, in no way is there going to be an actual push to remove the influence of foreign governments in our political system.)

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 4, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mornacale posted:

It's not as if Democrats couldn't run on economics and then also fix our election security once they're in office. The only reason to run on Russia is if there's reason to believe it's a more compelling issue for Democratic and undecided voters than whatever other issues you could focus on, which I don't think HA has established.

Or, of course, if you just don't want to actually embrace leftist positions on health care, education, public works, etc. Which is the actual reason that any Dem would go near it.

well come on it's not like there's tons of polls showing economics and healthcare are the main issues to voters and russia is so low it isn't even statistically valid at times.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Another plot point that never comes up in the Russiagate Cinematic Universe is the blame the DNC and the Clinton campaign rightfully deserves for not securing their systems. If someone in your organization with high level access can click on a phishing link and it pulls all your email communications because entering a six digit code sent to the phone permanently glued to his hand when he logs in is to much of a burden, that's a you problem. If you've setup your database in a way that anyone can connect to it, lift all the data, AND not have any alarms go off, that is a loving you problem. Hacking attempts should not be treated as a theoretical, it should be treated as a baseline assumption. If this is expected of a third rate computer toucher working with business to business middle-ware that does not matter in the greater scheme of things, why is it out of bounds to expect this from a 2 billion dollar campaign for who should be the most powerful person on Earth and control of all the world's nukes?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Iron Twinkie posted:

Another plot point that never comes up in the Russiagate Cinematic Universe is the blame the DNC and the Clinton campaign rightfully deserves for not securing their systems. If someone in your organization with high level access can click on a phishing link and it pulls all your email communications because entering a six digit code sent to the phone permanently glued to his hand when he logs in is to much of a burden, that's a you problem. If you've setup your database in a way that anyone can connect to it, lift all the data, AND not have any alarms go off, that is a loving you problem. Hacking attempts should not be treated as a theoretical, it should be treated as a baseline assumption. If this is expected of a third rate computer toucher working with business to business middle-ware that does not matter in the greater scheme of things, why is it out of bounds to expect this from a 2 billion dollar campaign for who should be the most powerful person on Earth and control of all the world's nukes?

Dems don't really want to admit emails and email security actually matter.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hillary's whole shtick was always hiring people that were way more about loyalty to her than actual competence. It's why I didn't really buy into the idea that she was going to be the most competent president ever since her track record was surrounding herself with idiots that backfired on her when they hosed up. A lot of the campaign destroying stuff that happened was due to this such as the email phishing or Wiener being involved due to Huma leading to the Comey letter. Then you have her "faith advisor" that kept sexually harassing staffers that weren't powerful enough to really do much about it and him getting moved around or hired back.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 4, 2018

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Nothus posted:

Gen X worst generation. At least the boomers got to be hopeful hippies. We've always been poo poo.

Gen X is about 40% in the under 45 category (I've seen the date range for Gen X mostly from 1965-1980 and anyone from 1973/4-1980 is under 45 right now) so they are split into the best views and trash.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Iron Twinkie posted:

Well yeah, also remember the whole 'butter emails' thing started because the Secretary of State 1. Refused to use a computer at her desk and 2. Felt carrying a second blackberry or learning another phone that could handle multiple email accounts was too much of a burden. Can you imagine trying to sell someone like that on 2FA? The decision makers in the party are all old as gently caress and too stupid to understand that the world has changed.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mornacale posted:

Yeah, the thing about Russia is that the only non-crazy solution is super obvious - improve election security. Unlike an issue like economic/social justice, there isn't really a group (within the Democratic Party, anyways) that is in opposition to the things that would mostly "solve" the problem of Russian interference.

Ardennes posted:

If the answer to this was to focus on securing the integrity of our voting system it would be one thing, but that seems to have been ignored in favor of partisan hackery and punching leftward.

This, basically; if you look at discussion on this topic (like in our very own D&D Russia thread), the topic of improving security - which is literally the only real solution - is mostly ignored, and you don't see people demanding that the Democrats address it. Because it isn't as sexy and fun I guess.

Substandard posted:

Gen X is about 40% in the under 45 category (I've seen the date range for Gen X mostly from 1965-1980 and anyone from 1973/4-1980 is under 45 right now) so they are split into the best views and trash.

If "under 45" includes everyone under 45, it's entirely possible that the percent with good views under 35 (or whatever the other threshold was) is just high enough to even result in "under 45" coming out ahead as a whole.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 4, 2018

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I feel like we're already walking that path regardless once the Russian government started loving with our elections. Past that, I take it you didn't see "Rocky IV" in the theater when it came out? I feel like there's an age divide operating here.

Here's the big question, though: a lot of people and entities gently caress with our elections, so why is it only a big deal when the Russians do it?

Russia is singled out solely because they're a convenient scapegoat. It doesn't really have much to do with facts or reality. The problem is not "it's impossible to talk about more than one thing", it's that "the Russia narrative is being promoted for the primary purpose of drowning out other narratives that might cast the blame elsewhere". Like, yes, if there was criminal misconduct then I hope it comes out...but it's not even in the top five issues facing the country in 2018. The investigation has been going on for over a year already, and it's probably gonna take another year or more. It doesn't need to be the top headline twice a week.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Main Paineframe posted:

Here's the big question, though: a lot of people and entities gently caress with our elections, so why is it only a big deal when the Russians do it?

Russia is singled out solely because they're a convenient scapegoat. It doesn't really have much to do with facts or reality. The problem is not "it's impossible to talk about more than one thing", it's that "the Russia narrative is being promoted for the primary purpose of drowning out other narratives that might cast the blame elsewhere". Like, yes, if there was criminal misconduct then I hope it comes out...but it's not even in the top five issues facing the country in 2018. The investigation has been going on for over a year already, and it's probably gonna take another year or more. It doesn't need to be the top headline twice a week.

It needs to be the top headline every single day when the POTUS is literally compromised by a hostile foreign power. Stop trying to normalize things that should not be normalized.

Like your entire post reads "I am either a Russian troll or a useful idiot". That's the level of normalization you are engaging in here. Our president is taking orders from a hostile foreign power- that is an astronomically big loving deal and should be the number one focus of every American at present.

Not that it's the only problem we face, but that if that problem isn't addressed first then no other problems can be resolvec. The POTUS is compromised by a hostile foreign power, that is a dire threat to our country and our way of life.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 4, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Iron Twinkie posted:

Pretty much. It's hilarious that republicans probably still think the email thing was her secretly emailing embassy attack plans to terrorists or whatever, but the actual 'email scandal' is something she deserved to be held accountable for and the fact that one of the most powerful women on the planet never once thought to have actual security for her poo poo is actually terrible. Like, she felt she was above the rules and yea she WAS held to a different standard than rando dipshits would be. That's why that messaging works so well against her, it's not wrong just because Trump says it.

Main Paineframe posted:

And this, yea. "Meddle with elections" means nothing. Tons of people do it, government and private actors alike, and of course WE do it all the time too. Remember when the head of the CIA under Obama was literally asked about this and he just kinda laughed it off? Like, yea let the council investigate, great, he'll probably find some illegal poo poo, but it'll be illegal poo poo that A) tons of other actors do do, and B) we do to other countries...like Russia for example, so it's not going to mean anything except as a symbolic scalp. Trump will never be impeached for Russia poo poo, every minute spent whining about that stuff is a minute not used to talk about issues that America actually cares about like 'hey it's hosed up your wages haven't gone up huh' and 'man the healthcare system here is just an evil joke'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Prester Jane posted:

It needs to be the top headline every single day when the POTUS is literally compromised by a hostile foreign power. Stop trying to normalize things that should not be normalized.

Like your entire post reads "I am either a Russian troll or a useful idiot". Our president is taking orders from a hostile foreign power, that is astronomically big loving deal and should be the number one focus of every American at present.

Not that it's the only problem we face, but that if that problem isn't addressed first then no other problems can be resolvec. The POTUS is compromised by a hostile foreign power, that is a dire threat to our country and our way of life.

the president is not 'compromised', he's not a Russian agent, he's, at worst, a probably borderline retarded and/or senile old man that Russia knew would be WAY easier to impress and get to nod along with things, just like 90% of the world sees him as. He's exactly as 'compromised' by Russia as he is by Saudi Arabia.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

sexpig by night posted:

the president is not 'compromised', he's not a Russian agent, he's, at worst, a probably borderline retarded and/or senile old man that Russia knew would be WAY easier to impress and get to nod along with things, just like 90% of the world sees him as. He's exactly as 'compromised' by Russia as he is by Saudi Arabia.

The willful ignorance in this post is causing me physical pain.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Prester Jane posted:

The willful ignorance in this post is causing me physical pain.

so just to be clear you think Donald Trump is an active agent of Putin's government, like he's getting marching orders from Russia on what to do?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Donald Trump is a man who I don't think gets 'orders' from his own forebrain half the time but somehow he's got a secret line to the Kremlin red phone no one has been able to prove.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

sexpig by night posted:

so just to be clear you think Donald Trump is an active agent of Putin's government, like he's getting marching orders from Russia on what to do?

It's difficult to ascertain the degree, but it's obvious that the president is compromised and that his actions and decisions are being heavily influenced by a hostile foreign power. It's blatantly obvious that Trump is in acting Putin's agenda and has been for some time- for starters look at the pro-russian revisions that the Trump team made to the 2016 RNC campaign platform.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Prester Jane posted:

It's difficult to ascertain the degree, but it's obvious that the president is compromised and that his actions and decisions are being heavily influenced by a hostile foreign power. It's blatantly obvious that Trump is in acting Putin's agenda and has been for some time- for starters look at the pro-russian revisions that the Trump team made to the 2016 RNC campaign platform.

He's acting in Putin's agenda because they're both dipshit strongmen who think western Europe is a bunch of pussies who are v. mean and unfair. The right in America has always viewed the western european status quo as too liberal and evil, and Putin has set himself up as a 'traditional' and 'strong' counter to that. He's a useful idiot at best and just a straight up catspaw for the scumbags like Manafort at worst.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

sexpig by night posted:

And this, yea. "Meddle with elections" means nothing. Tons of people do it, government and private actors alike, and of course WE do it all the time too. Remember when the head of the CIA under Obama was literally asked about this and he just kinda laughed it off? Like, yea let the council investigate, great, he'll probably find some illegal poo poo, but it'll be illegal poo poo that A) tons of other actors do do, and B) we do to other countries...like Russia for example, so it's not going to mean anything except as a symbolic scalp. Trump will never be impeached for Russia poo poo, every minute spent whining about that stuff is a minute not used to talk about issues that America actually cares about like 'hey it's hosed up your wages haven't gone up huh' and 'man the healthcare system here is just an evil joke'.

Everybody interferes in our Democratic elections so focusing on one specific hostile forign power interfering with our elections is just racism. It's perfectly normal that everyone interferes with our elections and it has no big impact in the grand scheme of things so nothing to worry about. And if you're worried about the hostile foreign power interfering in our elections it's because you are racist and not normal and not acceptable.

Let me jingle my keys a little bit so that we can all talk about something other than the hostile foreign power influencing our government. Because that's normal, everything going on in that situation is perfectly normal. You're the weird one and the dum dum and the child if you think otherwise. Stop trying to be something other than normal, accepting that Russia interferes in our elections is normal.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 4, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Prester Jane posted:

Everybody interferes in our Democratic elections so focusing on one specific hostile for Empower interfering with our elections is just racism. It's Perfectly Normal that everyone interferes with our elections and it has no big impact in the grand scheme of things so nothing to worry about. And if you're worried about the Hostile for and power interfering in our elections it's because you are racist and not normal and not acceptable.

Let me jingle my keys a little bit so that we can all talk about something other than the hostile foreign power influencing our government. Because that's normal, everything going on in that situation is perfectly normal. You're the weird one and the dum dum and the child if you think otherwise. Stop trying to be something other than normal, accepting that Russia interferes in our elections is normal.

Election security is way lower on my priorities than the actual election manipulation tricks like voter suppression, yet the msm is barely covering the latter and acting like 'russian meddling' is our 'radical islam' and until our big wet president says it by name we're basically just a vessel of Putin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Prester Jane posted:

Like your entire post reads "I am either a Russian troll or a useful idiot". That's the level of normalization you are engaging in here. Our president is taking orders from a hostile foreign power- that is an astronomically big loving deal and should be the number one focus of every American at present.

What does "compromised by a hostile foreign power" actually mean? Is he going to order the military away from the coasts so that the Russian invasion force can land unhindered in Alaska? Or is he going to get in on the action himself by ordering the nuking of major American military bases to hinder the counterstrike? What is the practical impact of him being friendly with Russia?

You say it's a "dire threat to our country and our way of life", but so far, all Putin seems to really want is for Russian billionaires to be treated with the same slap-on-the-wrist mentality American billionaires are treated with. Letting rich people get away with murder is as American as apple pie and Klan marches.

I'm completely loving serious: what kind of diabolical plan to destroy America forever do you think Putin has? So far, it seems to be pretty much just business as usual.

• Locked thread