Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I passed, but I'm kind of on the fence about even submitting QEPs. I went through this whole process in 2016 for a DS job, drove all the way to DC and passed the OA, and almost 2 years later I've spent nearly a year in background investigations and even if I pass I'm pretty low on the register. The thought of having to do all the medical and background stuff a second time to possibly get a job in 2023~ just seems like a lot to deal with while I'm trying to finish my Master's degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I passed, but I'm kind of on the fence about even submitting QEPs. I went through this whole process in 2016 for a DS job, drove all the way to DC and passed the OA, and almost 2 years later I've spent nearly a year in background investigations and even if I pass I'm pretty low on the register. The thought of having to do all the medical and background stuff a second time to possibly get a job in 2023~ just seems like a lot to deal with while I'm trying to finish my Master's degree.

I think you can put your candidacy on hold. If it's something you want to do, I'd still say go for it.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Just submitted my personal narratives. Now to wait another seven weeks to find out if I pass the QEP. :ohdear:

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.
Just saw on Reddit that someone failed to submit their PNs before the deadline. Given all the reminders that BEX sends out, how is this even possible?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

coffee! posted:

Here we go again...

2011: FSOT - Passed; QEP - Passed; OA - Failed
2014: FSOT - Failed (Essay)
2016: FSOT - Passed; QEP - Failed
2018: FSOT - Passed!; QEP - Submitted

I'm definitely hopeful, but I can say it gets easier to "fire-and-forget" the more times you been through the process. I'm pretty sure diplomacy is what I was meant to do, so i'll keep trying no matter how many times it takes.

Congrats to everyone else who's passed the FSOT this time around, and for those that haven't, keep trying!

Pretty similar to mine

2011: FSOT - Passed, QEP Failed

2014: Same

2016: Same

2017: FSOT - Passed, QEP Passed, OA Failed (5.0)

2018: FSOT - Passed, QEP just submitted

I def am fretting it less about it than I did before. The older I get, the easier it is to just get wrapped up in another career.

I just used my QEP from the last go around. My FSOT score is less than it was last year, but let's see if there the score fluctuates.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012

zzonkmiles posted:

Is there some kind of thinking in the back of everyone's mind about who the first person in their A-100 to leave the FS will be? Is there some sort of pressure not to be the first?

I've been on H/L so taking a break from things. I just ran the numbers and for my IMS class of 13 after 5 years we've lost 3, or 23% (one of those who left is trying to get back in).

All 3 were kind of surprising looking at it from the outside, but if you dig in to the reasons they were all understandable. Not sure if there is "pressure" not to be the first, because each situation is different.

This is a tough career and a tough life. Every time I come off H/L and R&R I usually question "is this life right for me/my family".

SCRwM fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 17, 2018

1of7
Jan 30, 2011

SCRwM posted:

This is a tough career and a tough life. Every time I come off H/L and R&R I usually question "is this life right for me/my family".

I'm the opposite. After a week back home I feel like my decision to live overseas is reconfirmed.

coffee!
Jul 12, 2016
Shageletic, best of luck! I also got a 5.0 when I failed the orals in 2011. Seemed like a common theme of the day, and I don't believe anyone passed from my group.

I'm sure there are stats on the age bell curve of those who make it to A-100, and even all along the process. I wonder if it is a normal distribution with the center of the curve around age 30, or if its more evenly distributed, so equal representation from about all age groups.

Being only a couple of years away from 40, I wonder if there is any advantage to keep applying as I get "older"

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

1of7 posted:

I'm the opposite. After a week back home I feel like my decision to live overseas is reconfirmed.

Ditto. Though I am really enjoying this current round of home leave before heading back out.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

SCRwM posted:

We've just arrived at our second post, and it has been tough getting here. Seems like everything has been difficult this past week. It's been rough, but it's also exciting!

And today we've got our pets in our house, finally, and gotten internet hooked up, so things are looking up!

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Just ordered my second round of consumables. I don't think I will ever be good at accurately estimating how much of something I will use in one or two years.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I haven't had to do a Codel in nearly seven years. Man I forgot how much I hate doing this.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

the_chavi posted:

I haven't had to do a Codel in nearly seven years.

A phrase I dream to utter

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Non-FSO outsider, hope nobody minds, asking:

So....what the hell do they do on CODELs anyway? Like, I know about the drinking and whoring and partying, what kinda official poo poo does one do with a CODEL?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Spacewolf posted:

Non-FSO outsider, hope nobody minds, asking:

So....what the hell do they do on CODELs anyway? Like, I know about the drinking and whoring and partying, what kinda official poo poo does one do with a CODEL?

Depends on what the CODEL is. Sometimes it's a regional tour, sometimes it's specific to a single issue in a single country. If it's the former, you find out what they're interested and set them up some meetings and tours (their staff usually will tell you ), and go from there. If it's the latter, you build your schedule around meetings to support that particular issue. In either scenario, one of the 1st or 2nd tour officers is going to get stuck babysitting the spouses/families, so better brush up on good shopping/tourism locations.

But 90% of it is some variation of "arrange a meeting, a tour, a cultural engagement, or attend a conference/speaking event." Followed by logistics.

Ordeith
Oct 26, 2002

If I troll again, I will eat Hello Kitty's brains with a spork
Hey folks.

Was a shame that timing prevented me from meeting the_chavi in Ankara while I was posted there. My next posting is going to be in New York at our (non-USA) Permanent Representation to the UN.

If any of you are around in NYC it'd be great to meet up.

Sorry to hear about the trials and tribulations side of things but if it makes any of you feel better - some services are much, much worse. Happy to explain why in person.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Can any of you veterans kindly explain how a TED works? (Is this the same as ETD?)

For example, if I arrive at post in March 2017 for a two-year tour, does that mean my TED is February 2019? Or is my TED March 2019 because I arrived at post in March? My gaining post wants me to start a month earlier than I thought I'd be able to, so now I'm confused. Thanks.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Should be March as I understand it, but you can start +/- 30 days from your TED with no issues at all. That's normal. You need permission but can amend your orders to change your date by more than 30 days. I changed my upcoming one by 2 months with minimal effort, just got everyone involved to OK it and had HR cut me new orders.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone around FSI this week? I'll be there all week.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Bruxism posted:

Anyone around FSI this week? I'll be there all week.

DUDE! Not there, but I'll email you.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tyro posted:

DUDE! Not there, but I'll email you.

Right on. Unable to get on opennet so either PM or hit up my personal email.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.
Conally rectified! It wasn’t as painful as I thought, though the 8 FAM insertion was a little awkward.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Congrats!

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012
Promotion lists are out!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Sad trombone.

Hope someone got promoted!

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Remember: The Department will never love you back.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Cool article about the Diplomatic Courier Service here

https://www.wired.com/story/diplomatic-courier-service/

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Business of Ferrets posted:

Remember: The Department will never love you back.

Ain't that the truth.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Going to OA again. Honestly, feeling ambiguous about it.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Welp, my first go is over-- no pass by the QEP. I was honestly pretty happy that I passed the Exam my first try, I'll just have to try again next year.

How long do I have to wait before applying again? Exactly one year?

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Unholy Ghost posted:

How long do I have to wait before applying again? Exactly one year?

Sorry dude. You can take the written exam in the same window next year you took it this year - so if you tested in February 2018 and failed the QEP in August, you can take the written exam again in February 2019.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This bourbon's for Sean, since I never got to bring him his bottle in Benghazi to drink together.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Signed up for Oct FSOT. I put in for Management. I know I can't change it now.

coffee!
Jul 12, 2016
Made it to the OA—should be fun, it’s been a few years since my last one, which I would think most likely helps, but who knows.

Just got promoted to GS-15, but I firmly believe that the FS would be worth the pay cut—at least that’s the reasoning I’m deluding myself with.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

I just found out that my consumables shipment has been sitting in a port on another continent for a month now. No rush. Who needs quality toilet paper anyway?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

zzonkmiles posted:

I just found out that my consumables shipment has been sitting in a port on another continent for a month now. No rush. Who needs quality toilet paper anyway?

But it’s going to feel like Christmas when you finally get it! (Mostly because it’s going to take another three months to make it to you.)

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Business of Ferrets posted:

But it’s going to feel like Christmas when you finally get it! (Mostly because it’s going to take another three months to make it to you.)

I remember getting my consumables in AF - it was glorious.

Just took my last R&R to Spain - loved it

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

coffee! posted:

Made it to the OA—should be fun, it’s been a few years since my last one, which I would think most likely helps, but who knows.

Just got promoted to GS-15, but I firmly believe that the FS would be worth the pay cut—at least that’s the reasoning I’m deluding myself with.

Congrats. Good luck. But yeah GS-15 is pretty high up. You're basically a deputy to SES in most positions right? Without getting too specific which part of government do you work in?

I'm in non profit FFRDC world but looking to laterally move into gov at GS-12/13. Also is it natural to take a pay cut when moving into gov from private? Is bargaining level and step for salary purposes even a thing?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm in the private field as an attorney, and I'm expecting a paycut myself if I do eventually get through. Just one of things you've got to juggle I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Yeah if I pick up FSO I would also get a 20-30k pay cut. But I'm old enough to know that money isn't everything.