Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

glam rock hamhock posted:

Episode 1 and 2 spoilers: In regards to a question that keeps coming up, Jonas Sr being on Gargantua 1, I think the line is just phrased badly. I think they're talking about how Gargantua is this grand thing that Jonas designed and was going on and on about and bringing it down would get a ton of attention for it, not that Jonas himself was killed on Gargantua 1. The line is about bringing something of Jonas' down, not about literally killing him

Is this about Red Death talking about movie night? Because I thought their plan was specifically to kidnap Jonas, before Movie Night happened and everything went off the rails. Which could plausibly have given Mr. Death sufficient pretense for a murder-bender. A man can do terrible things when he's lost his way. Like chop the most famous super-scientist in the world's loving head off.

e: Of course, the explanation for the stinger to episode 2 will probably reveal some tertiary turn that renders all we've learned so far pointless within twenty minutes. They are Doc episodes, after all.

e2: I love how any time I try to research stuff from earlier episodes, no matter what I eventually just end up watching my favorite clips on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hfGEdw03sw

e3: Hank has always been the most well-adjusted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM74QavtOFI

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Doc can be almost as much of a drama queen as Orpheus.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Episode 2 spoilers: has it been pointed out that Wide Wale's origin is that he was genetically fused with Damien Hirst's dumb preserved shark?

Also, given the cliffhanger, is it possible that we're going to see The Monarch's dead cyborg father confront his arch-enemy's dead cyborg father?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Man, I could go for a flashback Movie Night episode

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

WrathOfBlade posted:

Also, given the cliffhanger, is it possible that we're going to see The Monarch's dead cyborg father confront his arch-enemy's dead cyborg father?[/spoiler]

Oh snap, both him and Vendata are androids now.

There was somewhere they wrote that the third episode is very seeped in lore, and something people who like that sorta stuff will really dig– so I'm betting they will actually answer what happened between them both.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Kahlua, Hershey's chocolate syrup, and red Kool-Aid. Rusty has the worst taste in cocktails.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

prefect posted:

Kahlua, Hershey's chocolate syrup, and red Kool-Aid. Rusty has the worst taste in Doctails.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

prefect posted:

Kahlua, Hershey's chocolate syrup, and red Kool-Aid. Rusty has the worst taste in cocktails.

That one's still better than the Ruddy Bottom. Just a tall glass of grenadine with some rum and tomato juice thrown in.

P.S. I'm gonna be slowly watching the series from season 1, hit me up with lovely, poorly optimized gif requests.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Ted posted:

P.S. I'm gonna be slowly watching the series from season 1, hit me up with lovely, poorly optimized gif requests.

That good part of Brock v. Speedy et. al

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tuxedo Ted posted:

That one's still better than the Ruddy Bottom. Just a tall glass of grenadine with some rum and tomato juice thrown in.

Doc likes them sugary. :barf:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I love Red Death.

"How long before they wake up?"

"Uuuhhhhhh-"

Yeah, I *really* hope he's a prominent fixture this season. I also can't wait for the episode(s) where Hamill is evidently doing someone's voice.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

prefect posted:

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Isn't the main problem with "Doctails" not the ingredients but rather the proportions of said ingredients he uses

Also has anyone here tried a Suffering Bastard?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Exactly. You never want more than a dash or a shot of grenadine in anything. Just imagining a highball filled with the stuff makes my stomach churn

But a suffering bastard is a legit cocktail, I think? Never had one, but it sounds good to me.

Also:

https://i.imgur.com/M5elDGH.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/ZfKqmOK.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/eePh4hv.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/YNFGeBo.gifv

"Wow, that sucked"

Edit: hopefully the mp4s don't make anyone's browsers chug, but if they do lemme know and I'll stop linking them in-line.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
well I don't know what I'm going to do with a doc and jackson interview transcript the size of a freshman calculus textbook, but I have one

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Edit: hopefully the mp4s don't make anyone's browsers chug, but if they do lemme know and I'll stop linking them in-line.

There are so many good psycho Brock moments in that episode. Him running down henchmen in the cocoon is fan-freaking-tastic as well.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tuxedo Ted posted:

So I watched episode 1.

"The Blood Vessel" is a pretty great name for a vampire-hunting car.

Chief Justice is another top-drawer name

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

More info on Hamill's character(s) this season: https://screenrant.com/mark-hamill-venture-bros-season-7/amp/

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Ted posted:

How about the scene in "Assassinanny 911" where Molotov is teaching them how to avoid being shot, and it ends with two of them running right into each other?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
"He penetrated... the Chamber Sub Rosa!"
"The Chamber Sub Rosa?"

Something about that exchange always cracks me up.

Also, every scene Red Mantle takes part in is excellent. :neckbeard:

ACOPKILLEDMYDOG
Aug 7, 2013
If the monarch is rusty's brother I wouldn't be surprised if he too had a twin brother that ended up more like their father. Maybe the dude we see at the end of episode two is the monarchs twin brother but that goes way more into fan theory than what they usually go into.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

tarlibone posted:

How about the scene in "Assassinanny 911" where Molotov is teaching them how to avoid being shot, and it ends with two of them running right into each other?

Season 2 is a ways away, but its on the list.

Also, I agree with everyone that Ghosts of the Sargasso is a great contender for the "introduce someone to the Venture Bros" episode, maybe even more than Tag Sale.

"If you played by the rules -the Ghost Pirate rules- and just ran away, none of this would be happening. But no, you had to go nuts and kill a guy."

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Tag Sale! is kinda meh. You get the great setup of a super scientist yard sale but the only two gadgets you see are the shrink ray (not used) and the lightsaber. The plot just kind of ends with the Monarch feeling sad for Venture because, uh, his lab isn't impressive, I guess?

Sargasso rules, however.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Is there a reason to get the real book over a kindle version? Is it worth the extra 10 bucks to have it on the coffee table?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Manwithastick posted:

Is there a reason to get the real book over a kindle version? Is it worth the extra 10 bucks to have it on the coffee table?

It's a really well-made *big* book. Extremely thick and glossy pages.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Something I learned from the book: I had no idea Brock was part Native. I thought when Hunter called him quarter Winnebago, he was referring to the RVs because Brock is huge. Never heard of the tribe.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
My favorite part of "Ghosts of the Sargasso" is probably the whole situation with the real ghost. They're all looking for an esoteric way to deal with the ghost, because it's a loving ghost and nobody knows how to kill or get rid of a ghost. Then Sampson shows up and goes all Brock-ness-monster on it, physically attacking it as if it were just some guy, knocking its skull head off, and throwing it overboard. A simple solution that never occurred to anyone because they assumed that it wouldn't work on a ghost.

And then the pirate captain says, "Well, we could have done that!", and without looking, Brock grabs him by the neck, because now that Problem #1 (Real Ghost Monster) is taken care of, it's time to deal with Problem #2: Fake Ghost Pirates. Then it cuts away.

Hilarious.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Book is crazy high quality, I don't know how it's this cheap.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Dracula Factory posted:

Fast, cheap, good. You get to pick two.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Dracula Factory posted:

It's 40 bucks at non Amazon prices which seems fairly reasonable. Amazon is probably sitting on a huge stack of them right now which is driving the price down.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Is it particularly heavy for a coffee table book? I love me my complete Calvin & Hobbes, but the thing has a permanent spot on the bookshelf on account of it weighing like 25 pounds.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I've always loved the scene in Home Insecurity where Monarch and Underbeit stare eachother down with increasing intensity, the animation on their faces slays me every time.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
So I just finally went and picked up my book, and, despite already knowing the scale of it from this thread, pulled it out of he box at the post office and went “holy poo poo”.

Looking forward to flipping through it this afternoon.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Is it particularly heavy for a coffee table book? I love me my complete Calvin & Hobbes, but the thing has a permanent spot on the bookshelf on account of it weighing like 25 pounds.
Not particularly. It's... uh, gonna out myself here, if this comparison helps, it's heavier than that new Final Fantasy Ultimania Volume 1 and lighter than 20 Years of Dilbert. (I made a bad purchasing decision because I thought Scott Adams was just "regular" crazy back in like 2012.)

It's about an inch thick and that's partially due to each page being like twice as thick as a normal book page, which is awesome.

S7E1/2: Why didn't Dr. Mrs. The Monarch already offer Red Death a seat on the Council? Weren't they hard up for councilmen at the end of S6 because they didn't actually have 13 because of Watch and Ward and so on? Dude's level ten, he's been around literally four decades, he's got his poo poo together aside from being villainous-crazy which is allowed for a councilman, I don't know why they had to have the entire subplot about him wanting the seat and the pension because they should have just given them to him the instant he spoke up without hesitating.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
God I hope Bud Manstrong doesn't come back.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

It's up there. People aren't kidding about the paper quality. It is glossy and thick, but pretty heavy.

porking a pork bun posted:

I've always loved the scene in Home Insecurity where Monarch and Underbeit stare eachother down with increasing intensity, the animation on their faces slays me every time.

https://i.imgur.com/4UDwe17.gifv

It's missing some impact without that creaking leather as they flex their faces, but still a great scene.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Red Death only arches once a year and seems to enjoy his privacy. Maybe that has something to do with it

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

it's interesting how there's been literally only 3 episodes to involve a writer who isn't Publick or Hammer, with all three of them involving The Tick creator Ben Edlund:
Careers in Science was written by Hammer and Edlund (and was also Hammer's first episode)
Guess Who's Coming to State Dinner?'s story was written by Publick and Edlund (though the script is just Publick)
¡Viva los Muertos! was written by Edlund, and is literally the only episode written by neither Hammer nor Publick

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

I actually think I ultimately agree with what they said about him in the book - he's an okay idea for a character, maybe even a good one, but everything he's in turns to poo poo and they've never been able to make it come together. Like, showing what the idealistic boy scout adventurer type would have turned into in a different way than Doc/Johnny is okay, you know?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The reveal at the end of episode 2 is going to totally be Vendata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I stood on a scale while holding the book, put it down, picked it up, and it consistently comes to five pounds.