Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Arivia posted:

I think someone's upset you insulted their waifu exalted
Maybe they should try liking a better game :shrug:

In not inherently awful industry news, apparently Roll20 is working with Paizo to set up an official set of tools to run the playtest there. https://roll20.net/pfplaytest

That's a solid step if they want feedback. Beyond opening it up for more groups, using a virtual tabletop ensures that a population of testers will use whatever sections have been automated as intended. That's a really useful data point. You do want to know if your presentation is clear, but being able to get that aspect from pen & paper players AND get the feedback on mechanical functionality from virtual tabletop players regardless of presentation is a nice trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Apparently someone in this thread really loves stanning for Holden and Exalted rape charms, and also lacks basic reading comprehension, or is just too stupid to understand that two things can be bad at the same time.

Sounds like a real dipshit

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
lovely red text is the province of cowards and the creatively bereft.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

This guy is $30 mad.

I'm sorry that I said your favorite elf game that you base your self worth around has rape charms and was in part made by a sexual predator and a his buddy who continues to shield him, without acknowledging that it has some mealy mouthed boiler plate reminding people that just because they put it in there, no one should use it. And that I didn't belabor the obvious fact that the game made by actual fascists is much worse in every way, and this made you throw 24 hour tantrum and spend actual money to express your nerd rage and forced you to pretend I was defending it in order to justify your misplaced outrage.

So let's bygones be bygones, we can both agree that V5 is an abomination, and that you're giant loving baby who calls people who point out things they don't like rape apologists, since both of those things are demonstrably true.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 5, 2018

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Actual question, what are the 'rape charms' we're discussing here? I can think of literally one charm in Ex3 that's sex-related and it's like... kind of pointless, but 'be so good in bed that people talk about you and want to have sec again' is not a particularly rapey fantasy?

Then there were the outlines but not actually written Abyssals preview charms which if I recall had one really poorly worded charm that was 'make your Appearance one higher, and also ghosts show up and leer at you through windows and poo poo, and we'll casually mention rape in describing their expressions because it's Victorian' and then had a bunch of charms about like... making people addicted to your affection, potentially including sex. Which is not actually something I want in my game but its really different from 'rape charms.'

None of this is to say Holden 'I knew about my friend being a sexual harasser and I didn't speak up because I'm a coward' Sheeran is not noxious, but like... I really don't get why this gets yelled repeatedly whenever Exalted comes up.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Joe Slowboat posted:

Actual question, what are the 'rape charms' we're discussing here? I can think of literally one charm in Ex3 that's sex-related and it's like... kind of pointless, but 'be so good in bed that people talk about you and want to have sec again' is not a particularly rapey fantasy?

Then there were the outlines but not actually written Abyssals preview charms which if I recall had one really poorly worded charm that was 'make your Appearance one higher, and also ghosts show up and leer at you through windows and poo poo, and we'll casually mention rape in describing their expressions because it's Victorian' and then had a bunch of charms about like... making people addicted to your affection, potentially including sex. Which is not actually something I want in my game but its really different from 'rape charms.'

None of this is to say Holden 'I knew about my friend being a sexual harasser and I didn't speak up because I'm a coward' Sheeran is not noxious, but like... I really don't get why this gets yelled repeatedly whenever Exalted comes up.

There was a front page article about it

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Oh yeah Infernals was atrocious, though ironically the charms were not at all involved with sex in any fashion.

But... that's the previous edition and the posters are clearly talking about the third edition, and I'm just not sure what's being talked about. Is it the lovely ghost charms from that KS preview?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Joe Slowboat posted:

Oh yeah Infernals was atrocious, though ironically the charms were not at all involved with sex in any fashion.

But... that's the previous edition and the posters are clearly talking about the third edition, and I'm just not sure what's being talked about. Is it the lovely ghost charms from that KS preview?

Yes, the ghosts that rape you to death and then you turn into a sex monster

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ex3 is good in spite of Holden and Morke

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

The actual final game backed further off it after they finally dumped Holden and Morke, but not all of it was excised; the charms in question are still iffy, even if they've tried to ameliorate the original wording. You can't get rid of that first impression and baked in problems just by tweaking it; they needed to revisit that whole portion of the mechanics and I don't believe they did so sufficiently. That also, of course, doesn't absolve the aforementioned devs who doubled down on it to begin with.

Unfortunately if nuWW bothered to pay attention to that mess at all, they clearly decided that the answer was it didn't go far enough. Ex3 has problematic elements that you have to be aware of and address up front when you play it, and it's a shame because that could have been avoided. The new Vampire is so thoroughly shot through with intentional awfulness that it's flat out untouchable and irredeemable, which is also a shame because the game mattered to a lot of people who it now directly harms.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Piell posted:

Yes, the ghosts that rape you to death and then you turn into a sex monster

Ok so the ones that never had any mechanics and also didn't do that, thanks for the clarification.
Like those charms were literally the 'monster in D&D that kisses you until negative levels kill you and you turn into one of the same thing' which is, to be clear, a bad way to do vampires, but it's like there's no sense of proportion here.

I can think they were a bad idea and I'm glad they're not going to be in any published product, without claiming they were a sex crime loudly and repeatedly.

Also, speaking of Exalted, it's remarkable and kind of hilarious that by removing Morke the sexual harasser and Holden his sidekick the entirety of Exalted 3 went from 'endless series of vaporware promises' to 'actually happening and improved in quality by a shocking margin.' Vance and Minton are cool.

Edit: seriously I'm really confused now, what charms got reworded? We don't have any Abyssal charms in actual publication, and there's been no change to the main book. Like... I legit feel like I'm missing some key piece to all this.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 5, 2018

kongurous
May 22, 2010

Joe Slowboat posted:

Edit: seriously I'm really confused now, what charms got reworded? We don't have any Abyssal charms in actual publication, and there's been no change to the main book. Like... I legit feel like I'm missing some key piece to all this.

You're not. You're never going to get a page reference for any rape charms because they don't exist, and none of the charms in the book were rewritten to be less rapey. People are still mad about the Abyssals preview, which was 5 years ago and has been abandoned anyway, because the devs were assholes about it, not because the game actually published with such offenses in it or continues to make them, and it has turned into an echo chamber of rape charms and rape ghosts and rape mechanics from that.

kongurous fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 5, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kongurous posted:

You're not. You're never going to get a page reference for any rape charms because they don't exist, and none of the charms in the book were rewritten to be less rapey. People are still mad about the Abyssals preview, which was 5 years ago and has been abandoned anyway, because the devs were assholes about it, not because the game actually published with such offenses in it or continues to make them, and it has turned into an echo chamber of rape charms and rape ghosts and rape mechanics from that.

think we found the dude who's $30 angry

kongurous
May 22, 2010

Arivia posted:

think we found the dude who's $30 angry

This is the sound of not proving me wrong.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

He's right that the rape charms were removed and there's nothing of the sort on Ex3 (unless you mean like cases where the red rule is there to arbitrate) and specially not on anything after the first book since they got Vance and Minton

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

kongurous posted:

yes please continue to tell us about how your game doesn't have rape charms in it any more and how also other games are just as bad

kongurous
May 22, 2010

Zurui posted:

yes please continue to tell us about how your game doesn't have rape charms in it any more and how also other games are just as bad

As soon as you tell me where the rape charms could ever be found in the game

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

kongurous posted:

As soon as you tell me where the rape charms could ever be found in the game

They were in the kickstarter previews and the author was on our forums rather vigorously defending them before he got banned?

kongurous
May 22, 2010

Kurieg posted:

They were in the kickstarter previews and the author was on our forums rather vigorously defending them before he got banned?

The ones that never had mechanics?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kongurous posted:

man at least when pathfinder printed the child rape daemon I was willing to admit it was lovely and wrong and shouldn't be in an elfgame

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

kongurous posted:

The ones that never had mechanics?

Yes.
These ones.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

hint: "ravish" is a euphemism for "rape". the meaning of that sentence does not change one bit if you replace the word "ravish" with "rape".

sure, Holden isn't on the Exalted 3e team anymore, but we're making GBS threads on Holden for it, not the current state of the game.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Zereth posted:

hint: "ravish" is a euphemism for "rape". the meaning of that sentence does not change one bit if you replace the word "ravish" with "rape".

sure, Holden isn't on the Exalted 3e team anymore, but we're making GBS threads on Holden for it, not the current state of the game.

Seems to me like people were making GBS threads on Holden and also the current state of Exalted 3, which while the former is 100% deserved, the latter is kinda misplaced.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

senrath posted:

Seems to me like people were making GBS threads on Holden and also the current state of Exalted 3, which while the former is 100% deserved, the latter is kinda misplaced.

Yeah I'm kind of in this camp.
Yes, those rules are terrible. But they were removed from the final game, and the guy who was responsible for them kicked out. That's what happened, right? So what's the problem?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

The problem was that this guy couldn’t parse the difference between those two points and probably doesn’t understand what “latter” means, so he spent 30 bucks giving me red text titles calling me a rape apologist.

So could you lot quit pretending this was some debate society meeting over the exact degree Ex3 has potentially problematic elements and not some dude getting called out for throwing a tantrum because someone dared even to appear to besmirch their favorite elf game?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

paradoxGentleman posted:

Yeah I'm kind of in this camp.
Yes, those rules are terrible. But they were removed from the final game, and the guy who was responsible for them kicked out. That's what happened, right? So what's the problem?

A. I agree with this.

B. Wow, I had in fact missed that Watchfire charm in the Abyssals KS preview. Yikes! More reason to be glad Holden and Morke aren't going to be writing for the line anymore, let alone developing it, as if I needed any.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 5, 2018

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Comrade Gorbash posted:

The problem was that this guy couldn’t parse the difference between those two points and probably doesn’t understand what “latter” means, so he spent 30 bucks giving me red text titles calling me a rape apologist.

So could you lot quit pretending this was some debate society meeting over the exact degree Ex3 has potentially problematic elements and not some dude getting called out for throwing a tantrum because someone dared even to appear to besmirch their favorite elf game?

Oh yeah that was a jerk move on his part. No discussion there.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Wait what did the red text say?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Has there been any more out of the Hambly thing? I know he's already been caught in a lie about giving a police report according to one article I read.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Dawgstar posted:

Has there been any more out of the Hambly thing? I know he's already been caught in a lie about giving a police report according to one article I read.

Yeah, the guy he's accusing is basically laughing at him, and Hambly's still convinced he's somehow going to get something out of this.

I guess it was in the 40k thread instead of here. Summary: The cops don't care, the bar doesn't care, all signs point to 'this poo poo never happened as described'. Matt was linked in a twitter post from early June from someone else telling GenCon that Hambly would probably try to get media passes under false pretenses, so my general impression is that this is a revenge attempt because this guy is just that petty. He was selling a t-shirt two days after and then started up a $10k gofundme claiming he's planning on bringing civil suit.

Edit: The shirt.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 5, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

ahahahahaha he added a band-aid because not even he could pretend that 'i lost a button' was braggable

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Wait what did the red text say?
Couple different versions that all basically were variations on "HERE IS THE RULE THAT SAYS YOU SHOULDN'T DO A RAPE IN EXALTED, HOLDEN DID NOTHING WRONG, STOP SAYING THE ELF GAME I USE TO DEFINE MY SELF WORTH IS BAD TO DEFEND VAMPIRE."

Which is a failure to understand basic facts in at least three different ways.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Yeah uh.... you were clearly making GBS threads on Vampire 5e and on Holden for having the gall to call out WW for rape-enabling rules when he himself has written and defended similar crap before

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 5, 2018

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

People mad out there I guess.

Also sadly while Hambley's stunt almost certainly won't lead to legal consequences for anyone (unless he's dumb enough to actually think he has a case), grifting the GG crowd & fellow travellers is a viable way to make a living. Hopefully WotC and other cons are paying attention and just slap permanent bans on him preemptively.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Man, I don't think I've ever been $30 mad.

I can barely manage $5 mad.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

They're trying to make the hashtag of 'GetWokeGoBroke' happen.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dawgstar posted:

They're trying to make the hashtag of 'GetWokeGoBroke' happen.

wait

what?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Hambley's ongoing fever dream that he's going to get awarded massive damages in civil court for an 'assault' whose objective damages could at best be said to be two shirt buttons, and which he widely publicized himself so any reputation damage would be his own fault, I assume.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Liquid Communism posted:

Hambley's ongoing fever dream that he's going to get awarded massive damages in civil court for an 'assault' whose objective damages could at best be said to be two shirt buttons, and which he widely publicized himself so any reputation damage would be his own fault, I assume.

I look forward to his lawyers' attempting to document that the damage was caused by any assault, because holy poo poo do you need paperwork to prove that stuff. Like, a lot of paperwork.

Source: I work with and move legal documents for civil cases as my day job right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I would be amazed if any lawyer would take him up on the case. Few who are any good have any interest in going to court with a level of evidence that will make them look bad and likely get the case tossed by the judge.