Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

netcat posted:

I have a Sony Xperia z5. Yeah it does appear as a regular Bluetooth device and the phone can find it when I try to add it to garmin connect again, but the sync always fails.

Maybe I could try factory resetting the watch.

Honestly, the issue more likely is whatever Sony hosed up on your phones Bluetooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

netcat posted:

I have a Sony Xperia z5. Yeah it does appear as a regular Bluetooth device and the phone can find it when I try to add it to garmin connect again, but the sync always fails.

Maybe I could try factory resetting the watch.

If you're able to pair, the Garmin Connect app has a Device Sync Audit menu in the Settings. Maybe that'll help you figure out what's going on.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I've never really had any issues with any other bluetooth device with this phone so I don't think it's the phone that is to blame. But I did some more fiddling and restarting poo poo and suddenly it worked? :shrug:

Maybe I''ll check the Device SYnc Audit if this happens another time.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We’ve had every generation of garmin tracker and just got the Garmin Vivosmart 3 and my god what an improvement. The new style of heart rate monitor that does not dig in makes it worth it on it’s own. I got the first vivoactive smart watch without HR for myself and I’m going to switch over as well, way more data and functions and as I was using strava on my phone I’m not going to miss the gps.

It really didn’t like my kid’s Samsung j3 though, finally got it to connect by connecting in the phone’s Bluetooth menu and then again via the app. Was || close to going gently caress it and connecting it to an iPad.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

learnincurve posted:

We’ve had every generation of garmin tracker and just got the Garmin Vivosmart 3 and my god what an improvement. The new style of heart rate monitor that does not dig in makes it worth it on it’s own. I got the first vivoactive smart watch without HR for myself and I’m going to switch over as well, way more data and functions and as I was using strava on my phone I’m not going to miss the gps.

It really didn’t like my kid’s Samsung j3 though, finally got it to connect by connecting in the phone’s Bluetooth menu and then again via the app. Was || close to going gently caress it and connecting it to an iPad.

I tried the vivosmart 3 and jesus, I've never seen such a blurry screen on a device. It felt like it would be useless for notifications.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s silicon rather than glass :) you can read the notifications but it’s the size of the screen that’s the limitation, more of a notification that you have a text really. It’s not a smart watch, vivoactive 3 is the one you want for that, although both have the basic fitness features.

We’ve tested them fully now and the I move, new aerobics features, and VO2 max are amazing. You have to go into the device options on the phone to get I Move to start recording activities automatically and it detected and recorded a walk Minicurve did to the bus no problem. Again though those features are available on the vivoactive 3 and also the sport.

I won’t be surprised if activity trackers go the way of the dodo, the vivosmart 3 (tracker) provides everything about 90% of normal people need, but the vivoactive 3 (smart watch) has everything people want even if they never use most of the features.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Ok, so Im looking for a smart watch. I'd like the be able to customize the wallpaper, clock type and just have it link to my phone to get notifications etc. My work is weird AF about having your phone out but everyone gets away with using their smart watches to reply to people and Google stuff, and it's irritating not being able to check my phone.

Recommendations? Thanks.

Edit: I don't give a gently caress about fitness stuff, using it as a music player etc. Just wanna be able to check notifications, maybe respond to an email or text, and tell the time.

Old Man Pants fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 12, 2018

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The question is what kind of phone do you have? :)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m just going to ahead and assume it was an iPhone.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I’m just going to ahead and assume it was an iPhone.

If so just get a series 2 Apple Watch. :shrug:

They can be had cheap enough at this point that they IMO hold their own against the alternatives.

If it’s an android phone there are a poo poo load of Chinese watches that do what you want.

Also how much are you wanting to spend?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's pretty basic but I found a Skagen Hybrid for $40 at TJ Maxx today. It has a step tracker and a couple other basic features but it's basically just "a watch that pairs with your phone to update the time and also vibrates when you get a text/call." It runs on a 2032 battery which is pretty nice, and it's real purty:

only thing is they changed the app functionality and rendered one of the aesthetic decisions useless: it used to let you choose 4 contacts/apps to vibrate, and the hands would point to 1 of the 4 colored dots, but now it lets you choose up to 12 and the hands move to of of the 12 hours instead.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

In the same vein, I'm wondering how these will be once they're released, might get one depending how reviews are

https://www.gizchina.com/2018/07/13/mijia-quartz-watch-released-priced-at-349-yuan-52/

Would like a date display but it's not that serious, hopefully it uses the mi fit app because I already use it for the mi band 2 and it's not bad

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Blue Train posted:

In the same vein, I'm wondering how these will be once they're released, might get one depending how reviews are

https://www.gizchina.com/2018/07/13/mijia-quartz-watch-released-priced-at-349-yuan-52/

Would like a date display but it's not that serious, hopefully it uses the mi fit app because I already use it for the mi band 2 and it's not bad

Really, I tried the mi band 2 and it was awful, just super-inaccurate in every regard. I'm hairy as gently caress though so that might be a big part of it. Those look super-nice though, gonna have to keep an eye out for when they hit mass-market.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

learnincurve posted:

The question is what kind of phone do you have? :)

Galaxy s8. Sorry, forgot to check back on this.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Hey guys, is anyone here still using a Pebble Time in 2018?

I just won an ebay auction for one last night for about $35 shipped. I know that they shut down the pebble servers but I heard that the online services are unofficially officially supported by rebble.io?

Is anyone here still using a pebble time and if so how is your experience using it with the rebble servers?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

64bit_Dophins posted:

Hey guys, is anyone here still using a Pebble Time in 2018?

I just won an ebay auction for one last night for about $35 shipped. I know that they shut down the pebble servers but I heard that the online services are unofficially officially supported by rebble.io?

Is anyone here still using a pebble time and if so how is your experience using it with the rebble servers?

I still use my pebble time but I haven't changed anything with it in months so I didn't even notice that the servers were gone now. Opening up the app and tapping + to get more faces just gives a dns error for the webpage that used to have them. I'll have to check out the rebble stuff.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Rexxed posted:

I still use my pebble time but I haven't changed anything with it in months so I didn't even notice that the servers were gone now. Opening up the app and tapping + to get more faces just gives a dns error for the webpage that used to have them. I'll have to check out the rebble stuff.

I downloaded the official pebble app on the play store (it's still there) and it supports the rebble.io servers by default with the most recently update.

They killed the servers on June 30th.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Just got the pebble and I love it. Honestly it's everything that I always expected a smart watch to be (I don't care about all the heath tracking stuff I just want to see my notifications and skip tracks on my media player). I really think this is pretty much all a smart watch could be and I think they got it right. It's sad how they went out.

Also I honestly think a smart watch doesn't really do enough to justify a $100 price tag imo.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
One company in China makes all the heart rate monitors for every smart watch no matter the price of it. The only difference between them is if you get the first or second gen versions. If that’s your bag then the £10 xangbong genre IV will give you the exact same data as the latest garmin or Fitbit.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

learnincurve posted:

One company in China makes all the heart rate monitors for every smart watch no matter the price of it. The only difference between them is if you get the first or second gen versions. If that’s your bag then the £10 xangbong genre IV will give you the exact same data as the latest garmin or Fitbit.

The software side is still pretty important too. Getting the data automatically presented with nice charts and color highlights makes a world of difference for usability.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Bought the wife a Fitbit Versa as a gift to replace her failing pebble.

Is the firmware still garbage? I hope not.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
So the Pebble Time I purchased has some issues despite being new in box.

I updated the firmware and switch the servers over to rebble.io and since I have the device crashes maybe 3-4 times a day, usually when I get a notification while running another application. Are Pebbles always this buggy? I mean I didn't pay hardly anything for it and I knew what I was getting into when I bought something that's no longer supported but it's still pretty annoying.

Also the battery is only lasting about 2 days max. I'm going to power cycle the device twice and see if this gets any better because the battery readings I'm getting on it don't seem accurate.

Outside of these issues though I really like the Pebble. It's a shame the company went out the way it did. I imagine that they just simply didn't sell as many of them as they had anticipated and had too many different models. Looking at the current smartwatch options, I can't really imagine getting an Android Wear device or an Apple watch now. I can't imagine what it must be like barely getting a day out of a WATCH BATTERY, let alone not being able to read it in direct sunlight.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

64bit_Dophins posted:

I updated the firmware and switch the servers over to rebble.io and since I have the device crashes maybe 3-4 times a day, usually when I get a notification while running another application. Are Pebbles always this buggy? I mean I didn't pay hardly anything for it and I knew what I was getting into when I bought something that's no longer supported but it's still pretty annoying.

Also the battery is only lasting about 2 days max. I'm going to power cycle the device twice and see if this gets any better because the battery readings I'm getting on it don't seem accurate.

Outside of these issues though I really like the Pebble. It's a shame the company went out the way it did. I imagine that they just simply didn't sell as many of them as they had anticipated and had too many different models. Looking at the current smartwatch options, I can't really imagine getting an Android Wear device or an Apple watch now. I can't imagine what it must be like barely getting a day out of a WATCH BATTERY, let alone not being able to read it in direct sunlight.

Mine's still rock solid but I haven't put it on rebble yet. Also my battery lasts 4-5 days and it's over a year old now. Yours may have some problems or maybe the backlight is spending a lot of time on. When I'm home I leave it on this stand I 3d printed most of the time so the backlight isn't on that often:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:895388

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 3, 2018

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Rexxed posted:

Mine's still rock solid but I haven't put it on rebble yet. Also my battery lasts 4-5 days and it's over a year old now. Yours may have some problems or maybe the backlight is spending a lot of time on. When I'm home I leave it on this stand I 3d printed most of the time so the backlight isn't on that often:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:895388

Hmm well it was new in box when I got it but it looked like it had been sitting in a warehouse for several years. I also noticed that when I charge it the battery life kind of jumps around like from 50%-100% in a matter of 5 minutes. I feel like the battery just need to be calibrated.

The more concerning thing to me are the crashes. They don't happen often enough to make the watch unusable but it's still very frustrating. I checked other places on the internet and there are quite a few people that have had similar issues with the pebble time in particular.

Despite the issues I'm completely sold on the smart watch thing. I just hope tech companies stray away from the current Android wear/apple watch designs because they don't appeal to me at all.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Old Man Pants posted:

Galaxy s8. Sorry, forgot to check back on this.

Old Man Pants posted:

Ok, so Im looking for a smart watch. I'd like the be able to customize the wallpaper, clock type and just have it link to my phone to get notifications etc. My work is weird AF about having your phone out but everyone gets away with using their smart watches to reply to people and Google stuff, and it's irritating not being able to check my phone.

Recommendations? Thanks.

Edit: I don't give a gently caress about fitness stuff, using it as a music player etc. Just wanna be able to check notifications, maybe respond to an email or text, and tell the time.

Bueller?

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

64bit_Dophins posted:

Definitely not normal for it to be crashing. I have a Pebble Time Steel and the only thing that can reliably crash it is like one third party app that doesn't even fully work anymore without the servers.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

This LEM4 Pro looks mighty tempting. Waiting in this guy's review but so far I'm impressed by the price, big screen and battery

https://youtu.be/zX-iiIJ762A

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Jacobus Spades posted:

Definitely not normal for it to be crashing. I have a Pebble Time Steel and the only thing that can reliably crash it is like one third party app that doesn't even fully work anymore without the servers.

Yeah I think there's something wrong with it. It's still usable and I'm going to continue using it until these problems get worse.

For $30 off Ebay I expected as much. At least now I know that I like smart watches now though.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is there a Fitbit app that will allow me to program workouts? I want to display the name and quantity of my next exercise and automatically count my rest but not reps (they're all terrible at that). I tried Garmin a year ago and it was trash, especially for a company with their resources.

Until such an app exists or I can write one I'll be swapping batteries in my Band 2.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Shumagorath posted:

Is there a Fitbit app that will allow me to program workouts? I want to display the name and quantity of my next exercise and automatically count my rest but not reps (they're all terrible at that). I tried Garmin a year ago and it was trash, especially for a company with their resources.

Until such an app exists or I can write one I'll be swapping batteries in my Band 2.

I assume that thing is more tape than band at this point? I really wish Microsoft had kept the band going, it was pretty much the perfect device for me :(

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Maneki Neko posted:

I assume that thing is more tape than band at this point? I really wish Microsoft had kept the band going, it was pretty much the perfect device for me :(
It's my third and it's in great shape. In fact, all of mine were / are fine (first one went back for a replacement just after MS stopped making them) but the battery dies after a year. You can still get new Band 2's on Amazon and new batteries on eBay if you're handy with an iFixit kit, but in the latter case you lose a glued-on metal plate covering the screw-on battery cover.

Believe it or not the web services all work just fine. Music control on Android is kinda spotty though; you can only get a command or two in before it loses connection and you have to double-tap again.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Are there any rumors about the future of Android wear?

Is it another abandoned google project?

Also anyone have any experience with the lower in garmin or casio smart watches?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

64bit_Dophins posted:

Are there any rumors about the future of Android wear?

Is it another abandoned google project?

Also anyone have any experience with the lower in garmin or casio smart watches?

Probably worth waiting until September to see what comes of this:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/08/07/qualcomm-teases-september-10th-smartwatch-event/

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Seems promising.

I hope they make some improvements though because at the moment I'm more impressed with my Pebble than I feel I would be with an Android Wear device.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Gotta say I'm really happy with the Martian watch I got off Meh. Small notification window to see who's texting or calling and the Dick Tracy wristcom technology is fun if not totally impractical. I'd be pissed if I paid the $200 list price, but I love it for $29.

Thanks predatory capitalism!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Shumagorath posted:

It's my third and it's in great shape. In fact, all of mine were / are fine (first one went back for a replacement just after MS stopped making them) but the battery dies after a year. You can still get new Band 2's on Amazon and new batteries on eBay if you're handy with an iFixit kit, but in the latter case you lose a glued-on metal plate covering the screw-on battery cover.

Believe it or not the web services all work just fine. Music control on Android is kinda spotty though; you can only get a command or two in before it loses connection and you have to double-tap again.

Android 9 finally broke the Band 2 app haha. gently caress Google; what kind of operating system does that with no way to roll back? My next phone was already going to be iOS or Andromeda if that ever materializes but god drat.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iOS doesn't let you roll back, either. And it's hard to blame Google for breaking an abandoned app. Apple straight up deliberately broken them when they ditched 32-bit.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Couldn't you just flash the oreo factory image anyway

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Nah gently caress it, I'll just move on. I would almost go back to WinPhone for this thing but the battery has two months left, tops. I have replacements but it's long past time to upgrade to a modern tracker even if none of them have made a comparable guided strength training app (aside from the crazy third-party one for Apple Watch but lol apple watch).

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Is there any watch or device smaller than an iPhone that plays Spotify?