Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

paranoid randroid posted:

those people are also addicted to pain pills and live in places where they have to drive a day and a half to find anyone theyd want to shoot at

poo poo, the suburbs are a lot more spread out than I thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I mean read about La Violencia in Colombia, a civil war that cost the lives of 200,000 people and was fought between the Liberal and Conservative parties which both believed in conspiracy theories about the other. The Liberals thought the Conservatives were in league with foreign powers (Franco in Spain) to take over the country, and the Conservatives thought the Liberals were in hock to a Judeo-Masonic conspiracy.

That was also Colombia in the late 1940s though so it's not like the country was very developed, which counts for a lot.

Anyways I agree that the Qanon thing is this need to believe in "order" and a better future when it doesn't seem all that likely. The fact that Qanon is more compelling than the mainstream Fox News vision is telling, and it shows the U.S. government is incapable of dealing with the country's many serious problems.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

those people are also addicted to pain pills and live in places where they have to drive a day and a half to find anyone theyd want to shoot at

Hmmm, what just happened at Portland? Like yes for the most part they're pussies, but let's say you make it very clear that the system is entirely being cleaned out, say stacking the court and prosecuting bush, and trump administration officials. Also the police. LIke I think this is winnable, but you'r e going to have to be willing to crush about twenty percent of America.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
There's already a highly funded unaccountable armed white supremacist organization that routinely commits lynchings and hate crimes with no consequences, they're called the police.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

fool_of_sound posted:

That's because you're an insane person who needs to be taking their meds, actually.

See if you feel that way after the next crash (or "crisis of capital" if you like that terminology).

I don't know what problem getting armed is the solution to, but all the present unrest is occurring when the aggregate economy* is doing** great*** (asterisks added to indicate that this statement is obviously false from many standpoints)

The potential for unrest would be way worse, say, after a left-leaning Dem president is elected, markets tank 3 weeks before inauguration, and Boomer McBrainworms starts hollering about how he won't let no communist seize his retirement accounts to pay for gay illegal immigrant abortions

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

Hey, if you think a country that has twenty percent of the population believing the other eighty percent are demonic pedophile enablers isn't going possibly face huge unrest I got a bridge in death valley to sell you.

Tons of Americans believe the devil is actively interfering in the course of history and sending demons to hide their car keys and make them think sexy thoughts about the neighbor’s daughter. How many people think abortion is murder? Or that ancient aliens built the pyramids?

Yet they all live completely boring lives where they just go to work and pay off the mortgage, because those beliefs are just there as a coping mechanism or because it’s exciting to live at the center of a mystery. If they shoot up the mall, it’s for the usual reasons.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

Hmmm, what just happened at Portland? Like yes for the most part they're pussies, but let's say you make it very clear that the system is entirely being cleaned out, say stacking the court and prosecuting bush, and trump administration officials. Also the police. LIke I think this is winnable, but you'r e going to have to be willing to crush about twenty percent of America.

i mean the chuds are one thing but if youre aiming to fight the police then a rifle aint gonna do you much good

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

business hammocks posted:

How many people think abortion is murder?

Lol crowsbeak is literally one

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
The proud boys would immediately disband the second they start taking actual casualties because they're cowards larping, same thing with obese 50 year old fox news guys, they want to be angry but they don't actually have any ideological convictions or beliefs. There's a small contingent of the population who'd be willing to engage in violent unrest for fascism/white supremacists but it's nowhere near even 5% of the population and the vast majority of them are police or ex-police/military.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

prisoner of waffles posted:

See if you feel that way after the next crash (or "crisis of capital" if you like that terminology).

I don't know what problem getting armed is the solution to, but all the present unrest is occurring when the aggregate economy* is doing** great*** (asterisks added to indicate that this statement is obviously false from many standpoints)

The potential for unrest would be way worse, say, after a left-leaning Dem president is elected, markets tank 3 weeks before inauguration, and Boomer McBrainworms starts hollering about how he won't let no communist seize his retirement accounts to pay for gay illegal immigrant abortions

We've seen what a catastrophic economic collapse does the country; it's not a civil war. The way a civil war happens is if actual power players want it to happen, not if insane people screech online about it.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i mean dont get me wrong i think small scale armed resistance is pretty much inevitable, but its going to be more Bundy or Koresh than Stonewall Jackson

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

i mean the chuds are one thing but if youre aiming to fight the police then a rifle aint gonna do you much good

No, the goal is the take over of the government and provoking a reaction that can then be crushed.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ace of Baes posted:

The proud boys would immediately disband the second they start taking actual casualties because they're cowards larping, same thing with obese 50 year old fox news guys, they want to be angry but they don't actually have any ideological convictions or beliefs. There's a small contingent of the population who'd be willing to engage in violent unrest for fascism/white supremacists but it's nowhere near even 5% of the population and the vast majority of them are police or ex-police/military.

Yeah basically this. I'm not worried about mass unrest. I'm worried about LGBT people and minorities getting individually murdered by the radicalized population, and then being protected by the cops.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

i mean dont get me wrong i think small scale armed resistance is pretty much inevitable, but its going to be more Bundy or Koresh than Stonewall Jackson

yeah, there's no cohesive commonality or ability to coerce said commonality among all the little groups of people that are insane enough to engage in violence either

we saw them fight each other at a loving demonstration yesterday. there is no organization at all

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

They're also 90% cowards who are terrified of metropolitan areas and the brown/black people they hate so much.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Nah

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
The thing about Spain, Germany, Italy, etc. is that fascism was an openly touted political ideology with considerable support. American conservatives have been pumped full of liberal capitalist propaganda their entire life, their vague semblance of incoherent ideology is based on notions of "small government" and "freedom", even in their arguments against the left it's claiming that the left is the "real fascists". There's a portion of the population that is openly fascist/neonazi but it's incredibly small and spread out, which is why these marches involve people coming from around the country on buses and planes to make up a demonstration of a couple hundred.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Also we've seen what happens when incredibly racist and belligerent whites get pissed off by the culling of their privilege; you get the Boston busing riots and similar. They're violent and awful, but they're not a precursor to civil war. That's the kind of unrest I'm worried QAnon poo poo is incubating.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

There's some overlap but I think people taking the pills don't need this conspiracy theory as a coping mechanism, that's what the opioids are for. Also it's hard to take clean shots when you're nodding off.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
So the Daily Stormer "disavows" UTR2.

CW: the loving Daily Stormer

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

It's probably a good time and place to mention that Crowsbeak is an established tankie.
So having fantasies of jack boot thugs covered with a leftist fig leaf is kinda his thing.

He is excited about talk of social breakdown and civil war, not arzying about it. The rope is not up, the pants are down.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

These freaks are overwhelmingly suburban normies.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

McGlockenshire posted:

kmaoooo

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

yeah, there's no cohesive commonality or ability to coerce said commonality among all the little groups of people that are insane enough to engage in violence either

we saw them fight each other at a loving demonstration yesterday. there is no organization at all

the Qanon people are probably the really dangerous fucks because theyre rapidly approaching state religion levels of delusion but even then they probably max out at "spree shooting in a pizza joint" levels, and spree shootings are basically just a weather phenomenon these days

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

yeah

only suburban normies have the comfort, access, and convenience to engage in demonstrative/performative garbage like this lol

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Grape posted:

It's probably a good time and place to mention that Crowsbeak is an established tankie.
So having fantasies of jack boot thugs covered with a leftist fig leaf is kinda his thing.

He is excited about talk of social breakdown and civil war, not arzying about it. The rope is not up, the pants are down.

Is there a term for lefties who are super into circlejerking about revolution, and usually have super weird and regressive social views, or are those just what we call tankies now?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

McGlockenshire posted:

haha

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Professor Bling posted:

poo poo, the suburbs are a lot more spread out than I thought

lol the suburbs are the exact reason this is all going nowhere. Suburban America, whether left or right leaning, is the groundswell of "don't rock the boat".
Some chud uprising covered in nazi flags and pepes will immediately alienate the lego haired conservative family men of suburb land, and make them worry about their stock options and fishing plans.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

McGlockenshire posted:

is this blackpilling??????

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

fool_of_sound posted:

Is there a term for lefties who are super into circlejerking about revolution, and usually have super weird and regressive social views, or are those just what we call tankies now?

maoist third-wordists

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

fool_of_sound posted:

Also we've seen what happens when incredibly racist and belligerent whites get pissed off by the culling of their privilege; you get the Boston busing riots and similar. They're violent and awful, but they're not a precursor to civil war. That's the kind of unrest I'm worried QAnon poo poo is incubating.

the qanon true believers number in the hundreds. they just have seemingly outsized support on the internet because they’re posting addicted broke brains. it’s like the morgellons people or that one doctor who writer who got hundreds of communications every day because he killed off a character or smth that turned out to have originated from a single person

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

They're not some down on their luck loewer class person who suffers from heroin problems, their the next stage of suburban authoritarianism. Really it's logical end point even. The suburbs create a paranoia that no other real living space can, they make one both distrust ones neighbors, and also see all outsiders as the enemy. (This is also why I see90% of zombie related stuff turning into white suburban fantasy) It is easy when living in such a vile setting to come into fascism. As for those who try to tell yourself stories that liberal capitalism prevents fascism. That's hilarious, fascism comes from liberal capitalism failing.

theflyingexecutive posted:

the qanon true believers number in the hundreds. they just have seemingly outsized support on the internet because they’re posting addicted broke brains. it’s like the morgellons people or that one doctor who writer who got hundreds of communications every day because he killed off a character or smth that turned out to have originated from a single person

Few hundreds, try easily in the tens of thousands.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Al! posted:

is this blackpilling??????

lol at celebrating tommy, his first protest was literally paid for and the second one was vastly outnumbered by tens of thousands of protesters

and it was tommy supporters who attacked the police haha so much for no street fighting

Reclines Obesily has issued a correction as of 20:15 on Aug 5, 2018

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ace of Baes posted:

Fascists are (mostly) cowards of exactly that type. Look at that Cantwell fucker in that Vice story: manic and aggressive when he has overwhelming force on his side and weeping and terrified the minute he might have to spend the night in jail. Or Kessler of last year’s Charlottesville thing: brags to an angry crowd about how a person died until he realizes the police won’t keep them from touching him, at which point he runs in a blind panic.

The key is to keep them feeling isolated and weak.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

business hammocks posted:

Fascists are (mostly) cowards of exactly that type. Look at that Cantwell fucker in that Vice story: manic and aggressive when he has overwhelming force on his side and weeping and terrified the minute he might have to spend the night in jail. Or Kessler of last year’s Charlottesville thing: brags to an angry crowd about how a person died until he realizes the police won’t keep them from touching him, at which point he runs in a blind panic.

The key is to keep them feeling isolated and weak.
some of the militia types are pretty saucy. that finicum guy drew on the cops and wound up :rip: as a result but it certainly shows a commitment to the cause. but the rank-and-file of the alt-right with the khaki pants is not really willing to tangle with the cops right now and hasn't been. i've even seen some comments along this line when they'll see lefties getting blasted with flashbangs, and they'll go "well they're commies and that's funny to see but i wish we had that kind of discipline tbh." i think a gab account associated with w. fears made that remark.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

they seem like tens of thousands but the no joke ones I believe are a small group

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

they seem like tens of thousands but the no joke ones I believe are a small group

If i didn't have family by marriage have this poo poo turning up on facebook I would believe you.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

It’s really hard to tell the difference between people who actually believe and people just doing the whole political kabuki thing. A huge amount of right wing conspiracy theory poo poo is performative. At some point you become what you pretend to be though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

They're not some down on their luck loewer class person who suffers from heroin problems, their the next stage of suburban authoritarianism. Really it's logical end point even. The suburbs create a paranoia that no other real living space can, they make one both distrust ones neighbors, and also see all outsiders as the enemy. (This is also why I see90% of zombie related stuff turning into white suburban fantasy) It is easy when living in such a vile setting to come into fascism. As for those who try to tell yourself stories that liberal capitalism prevents fascism. That's hilarious, fascism comes from liberal capitalism failing.

Suburbs make people atomized capitalist subjects. They’re not getting off their asses for anything and need their diabetes meds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

The suburbs, land of bland placidness, being turned into some kind of radical Republican Mordor is one of the more bizarre and hilarious things to me you see thrown around here by some people.

The accurate lefty complaint should be that in regards to suburban democrat votes that they are the breeding ground for passive half-measure politics in regards to progressive stuff. But that doesn't sound exciting enough I guess.