Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I just wish my ship would spawn on my base’s launch pad instead of half embedded inside the base itself.

Is the whole “put similar upgrade modules together for a boost” mechanic still in the game? That always seemed so weird and arbitrary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

I thought I stumbled into a new graphic bug that made finding the terminal and talking to guys in stations an almost impossible task

tried to fix it playing with settings, flares, god rays and whatnot. Then I went outside to piss the dog and...

:psyberger:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Yodzilla posted:

I just wish my ship would spawn on my base’s launch pad instead of half embedded inside the base itself.

Is the whole “put similar upgrade modules together for a boost” mechanic still in the game? That always seemed so weird and arbitrary.

Ships always seem to spawn in the same spot so when building a base you gotta spawn in and see where it puts the ship and plan around that.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ToastyPotato posted:

Ships always seem to spawn in the same spot so when building a base you gotta spawn in and see where it puts the ship and plan around that.

Yeah my bright idea of "build a base around this cool-looking old ruin" is slightly marred by the fact that my ship always appears half embedded in the wall.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I've got a permanent tag for Ancient Ruins that are fairly near my new base. Hopefully it'll clear when I warp to another system.

How do I transfer everything to my new base from my old one? Is it just a matter of going to my old base and hitting delete?

Also, Redditor's exotic thicc ship:

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah my bright idea of "build a base around this cool-looking old ruin" is slightly marred by the fact that my ship always appears half embedded in the wall.

Unless you built a sprawling mega base why not just delete it, get your materials, and put the base computer in a different spot

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Penpal posted:

Unless you built a sprawling mega base why not just delete it, get your materials, and put the base computer in a different spot

:effort:

I'll probably move it at some point whenever I feel the urge to go on a big base-building spree.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Farming question: can everything be planted inside, or do you need to plant some things in their respective biome?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Viperix posted:

Farming question: can everything be planted inside, or do you need to plant some things in their respective biome?

Everything can be planted inside, if you have a real farm(like, 100+ plants), it's easier to just build a small farm with a portal in the proper biome for the plant.

At this point i have over 1000 plants. one 20 minute round of harvesting nets me 40 circuit boards and 40 liquid explosives. then it's just a matter of buying 12000 of each gas and 40 of each geodesite element to produce $720m worth of fusion igniters

Powershift fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 5, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

froody guy posted:

I thought I stumbled into a new graphic bug that made finding the terminal and talking to guys in stations an almost impossible task

tried to fix it playing with settings, flares, god rays and whatnot. Then I went outside to piss the dog and...

:psyberger:

I've got one of those too. I think they need to have a talk with the zoning comission.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 5, 2018

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So I'm trying to do the base building missions. Got a couple questions.

How do I place the Science terminal? I made a new Cylindrical room for it but it keeps telling me it's an invalid position :/

And then where do I go to find a scientist. a Korvax space station? Will the guy I talk to be called "Scientist Entity something"? Cause I've run around to try and find one and there's a bunch of "Physicists" or "Chemists" but those don't count I guess?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DarkAvenger211 posted:

And then where do I go to find a scientist. a Korvax space station? Will the guy I talk to be called "Scientist Entity something"? Cause I've run around to try and find one and there's a bunch of "Physicists" or "Chemists" but those don't count I guess?

He’ll be quest-tagged as the dude you want, you don’t need to search.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So I'm trying to do the base building missions. Got a couple questions.

How do I place the Science terminal? I made a new Cylindrical room for it but it keeps telling me it's an invalid position :/

Set it as your active mission and the moment you jump into a korvax system your objective marker will direct you to the space station. In my experience they're usually chilling in the back poker room

e^^^ yeah it will have a marker right above their head

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Finally got my base settled down on my cool retro planet and the terrain has decided to re populate inside my buildings where I can't dig them out :smithicide:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Theres way too many glitches in every aspect of the game for me at this current stage. I generally have a huge tolerance for glitchy/broken games, but this one hurts to play.

Do the devs have any blogs or whatever about what's upcoming? If the NEXT update is the current best version of the game, I cant imagine what the 2016 release was like.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I think Next introduced a bunch of new bugs that Hello Games, as a ridiculously small team, either couldn't foresee or address in time for Next's launch. They're working on it constantly though and generally have been really good at patching things out so far.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

buglord posted:

Theres way too many glitches in every aspect of the game for me at this current stage. I generally have a huge tolerance for glitchy/broken games, but this one hurts to play.

Do the devs have any blogs or whatever about what's upcoming? If the NEXT update is the current best version of the game, I cant imagine what the 2016 release was like.

The shame is Hello Games is really god drat silent about their updates and whatever they have planned, and the only way to figure anything out is to be part of their stupid ARGs they always have for their large updates.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

buglord posted:

Well, in 2016 the game did not have:

-Basebuilding and deployable equipment
-Ground vehicles
-Any way to interact with freighters beyond piracy
-Missions
-Guilds
-Upgrade modules
-Separate cargo and tech inventories
-The Artemis/Apollo storyline
-Multiplayer
-Survival, permadeath, and creative mode
-Portals and station teleporters
-The Traveler race
-The quick menu
-God rays
-Ship stats and specializations
-Multitool stats and specializations
-Star system stats and specializations
-Nanite clusters
-Multitool weapons other than the boltcaster (no terrain manipulator either)
-Ship weapons other than the photon cannon and phase beam (IIRC)
-Photo mode
-Upload all discoveries button
-A lot of the info you get on the map screen, and the scanner gadgets
-Crashed freighters and lootable ruins

And more stuff I'm probably forgetting or skimming over. On the plus side, it was significantly more stable and less glitchy than Next has been so far (at least after the first few patches).

s.i.r.e. posted:

The shame is Hello Games is really god drat silent about their updates and whatever they have planned, and the only way to figure anything out is to be part of their stupid ARGs they always have for their large updates.

Considering the NMS 1.0 hype cycle, release, and aftermath, I think they're more justified than most studios in remaining silent.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 5, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

They've put out 3 updates since NEXT came out, so they're doing all right in my book.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Yeah the aftermath of 1.0 was really lovely. I understand that the game didn't live up to the hype at all but holy gently caress harassment and death threats are not okay whatsoever.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
What does a dude have to do to get some vehicles? I thought the weapons guy was gonna give it to me but nope. Construction guy is telling me to find some she to start a farm with. I'm doing all of science guy's quests now.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

EC posted:

What does a dude have to do to get some vehicles? I thought the weapons guy was gonna give it to me but nope. Construction guy is telling me to find some she to start a farm with. I'm doing all of science guy's quests now.

The vehicle guy is the last guy you get so just keep doing the overseer quests.

So ever since I got the quest to find 2 vy'keen daggers I have found dozens of everything but those and nobody who sells them.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 5, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So ever since I got the quest to find 2 vy'keen daggers I have found dozens of everything but those and nobody who sells them.

Vry'keen ships have them, but not the ones who land at space stations, and maybe not the ones who land at trade outposts (I can't recall). Go to a Vry'keen system, build a landing pad, and wait for someone to use it.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

EC posted:

There's a Vehicle Guy eventually, but prepare to be disappointed. You can't transport them between planets and the "summon exocraft" option only has a range of a couple hundred yards, so they're pretty much restricted to the vicinity of where you build the pad for them. The little hoverbike would be awesome if you could pack it into your ship and take it with you, but once you get a stack or two of uranium it's way easier to just fly your ship everywhere you want.

Bruceski posted:

Vry'keen ships have them, but not the ones who land at space stations, and maybe not the ones who land at trade outposts (I can't recall). Go to a Vry'keen system, build a landing pad, and wait for someone to use it.

They do sell them, but the RNG seems to become extremely averse to generating them when you're actually looking for them for the quest. I had better luck just bartering with everyone and eventually got a couple. An hour later I found a Vy'keen trader with a stack of like 20 of them.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Has anyone actually seen a predatory animal since Next? I haven't. I thought the zerg things would count for the quests, but they didn't?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

Has anyone actually seen a predatory animal since Next? I haven't. I thought the zerg things would count for the quests, but they didn't?

I have seen one. It hunted some kind of bug, killed it and started eating. Was rather peaceful otherwise.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
So this game really doesn't want me to use exocraft, huh. You have to have a geobay on a planet, and even then the summon range is fairly limited. They're not *that* fast, and the controls suck. Also, more of a minor annoyance, but no first-person.

Oh well, they're not that interesting to me conceptually anyway.

The other problem I'm having is I really want to sink my teeth into base building both on planet and in my freighter. But I haven't found a planet even close to what I'd like to settle on. I also hate my tiny-inventory, ugly-rear end freighter, so I've basically been ignoring it.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

I didn't find a single one tagged Predator but the kills counted on tags that sounds like it eats other life forms. I think I had one with Diet : Brain for example.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, predators are animals that actively hunt and eat other animals, they're not too tricky to find. Not a single creature aside from the horrors have been aggressive aside from ones of the same species that aggro once I kill one of their own, but there doesn't seem to be any naturally aggressive animals in the game anymore. Not sure how I feel about that.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

ToastyPotato posted:

Where i am theres a bunch. I have one that looks like a leaopard with devil horns that says it does not fear death :ohdear:

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah, predators are animals that actively hunt and eat other animals, they're not too tricky to find. Not a single creature aside from the horrors have been aggressive aside from ones of the same species that aggro once I kill one of their own, but there doesn't seem to be any naturally aggressive animals in the game anymore. Not sure how I feel about that.

Actually yeah the fearless devil leopards will come right up to me no matter what im doing but wont attack.

E: also those brain crabs used to almost always be aggressive and i have seen a lot of them but not been attacked.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Before Next, if you had a geobay at your base you could build one on any other planet and summon a vehicle there. Is that not how it works any more?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Hyper aggressive crabs were a plague of early versions of the game so I’m happy that most creatures leave you alone now.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

In one of those damaged machinery that generally give you poo poo reward I found an S upgrade for my life module :woop:

Problem is: who gives about the life module support! It goes with fecking oxygen and I barely have to refill it ever. The upgrade obviously takes one slot. Shell I keep it or ditch it?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

That's like dependant on your playstyle. Are you a homebody on a lush planet or are you actively seeking the most hosed up inhospitable planets and moons to see how much the procgen can gently caress you up

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

haveblue posted:

Before Next, if you had a geobay at your base you could build one on any other planet and summon a vehicle there. Is that not how it works any more?

You can, but it feels way clunkier and more awkward than it should be, considering you can literally summon your ship and freighter to you from anywhere in the universe.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

DogonCrook posted:

Actually yeah the fearless devil leopards will come right up to me no matter what im doing but wont attack.

E: also those brain crabs used to almost always be aggressive and i have seen a lot of them but not been attacked.

I had one of the large walking brain spider things rush me and attack recently, but have shot every other one on sight since so I’m not sure if they keep doing it.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

The exocraft bay is not TECHNICALLY a portable technology, but because you get a full refund for dismantling it, and you can build it without a base computer, it still effectively is. Just break it down when you're done with it and rebuild it on the next planet.

The exocraft itself isn't any faster than melee boosting, though. It helps with extreme weather or underwater, but that's it.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

ToastyPotato posted:

Here's the hot tip: the annoying horrors that pop up when you touch the eggs at an abandoned shelter? Those count as predatory animals. I collect animal kill quests and when I come across one of those places I jump on top of the roof once it's cleaned out and pick off horrors till they're all done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

TjyvTompa posted:

Honestly I haven't had many problems. I have a freighter, several bases and I completed all the missions from the different employees you have. I have reached the last atlas station, gotten all blueprints for the fuels, living glass et.c., the new atlas stone replacement thingys and so on. I am at the end of the Artemis questline (doing the mercenary/explorer quests now).

In no particular order I've had

The unrepairable frigate bug, ie it lists 3 things but there's only 2 on your hud
The base computer bug, ie it gets stuck on your freighter
Basebuilding bugs, autobuilds stuff when you're trying to navigate your menu
Quest bugs, just mysteriously disappearing or not completing when you've met your requirements
Disappearing tech bug, consistently any tech I get as part of a quest will vanish off my suit/ship/module next time I load

And plenty of other smalls ones i can't bother to list but at this point it's enough to just not play for another year till poo poo gets fixed. Game certainly is looking good conceptually but it's got a bunch of balance issues and bugs that prevent me from fully enjoying it.