Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Just got done playing with a 9 year old who was hilarious and reallly good. My ingame name is TanningChatum2 and he almost immediately roasted me as tanning toilet, just before killing like 6 players. Also learned what oofing means with the kids. It comes from roblox and means murdered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

gently caress week 4 challenges. Pistols, snipers, flush factory and a challenge that cant be done at the moment? Jeez.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Enderzero posted:

Just got done playing with a 9 year old who was hilarious and reallly good. My ingame name is TanningChatum2 and he almost immediately roasted me as tanning toilet, just before killing like 6 players. Also learned what oofing means with the kids. It comes from roblox and means murdered.

Lmao awesome

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Any advice on how to play this on the iPhone? My computer cannot handle it/ I got kicked out for cheating (???), but my fat fingers make it hard to play on my phone...

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Flush fuckery. gently caress factory. gently caress off. Why am I bothering with this when I have access to a PC for the weekend and can actually have a chance of getting the sniper challenges?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Professor Shark posted:

Any advice on how to play this on the iPhone? My computer cannot handle it/ I got kicked out for cheating (???), but my fat fingers make it hard to play on my phone...

Practice. Most of the same strategies I use on Switch and PC also apply although I find building to be a massive pain on phone.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Finally found a Llama today... in explosives fly... got like 100 rockets out of it.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I really can't get over how much fun the current explosive flying mode is.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I've gotta say, being able to just spam build the same wall while someone is unloading a weapon into it and not take any damage is kind of bullshit.

I'm probably just salty that it happened to me three times last night and then the person just immediately oofed me(did I do that right?) but like, come the gently caress on.

Two of the people I beat initially in our build war, only to have them spam a wall until I switched back to building, then just shotgun me in the face. Maybe make walls' building timers tick down completely before you can build in that spot again? Idk I'm still kinda pissed about it :bang:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Johnny Truant posted:

I've gotta say, being able to just spam build the same wall while someone is unloading a weapon into it and not take any damage is kind of bullshit.

I'm probably just salty that it happened to me three times last night and then the person just immediately oofed me(did I do that right?) but like, come the gently caress on.

Two of the people I beat initially in our build war, only to have them spam a wall until I switched back to building, then just shotgun me in the face. Maybe make walls' building timers tick down completely before you can build in that spot again? Idk I'm still kinda pissed about it :bang:

No, no just reduce the health. Do not have a small build cooldown if building in the same spot

Edit: we should take more 7-8 year old slang. Oof rules

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 5, 2018

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

No, no just reduce the health. Do not have a small build cooldown if building in the same spot

Edit: we should take more 7-8 year old slang. Oof rules

I mean they already reduced the health and I honestly haven't seen much of an improvement? But I'm just a salty player, having a cooldown probably would gently caress everything up :shrug:

Oh well, I got oofed, but it won't stop me from oofing the gently caress out of some people later!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I've seen some improvement in that regard - if you're holding down the trigger on an AR or better you can and will start getting the occasional hit in on them if you're aiming at them while destroying - but only some.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

I've seen some improvement in that regard - if you're holding down the trigger on an AR or better you can and will start getting the occasional hit in on them if you're aiming at them while destroying - but only some.

I definitely could've been fudging the aiming; it was with a Tommygun and I don't think I landed a single shot :sigh:

Any recommendations for kb/m combos, though? I've been upping my PS4 sensitivity and I'm at 9 right now, but the thought of rocking a mouse is getting more and more appealing...

Bettyspagh3tt1
Jan 24, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

I definitely could've been fudging the aiming; it was with a Tommygun and I don't think I landed a single shot :sigh:

Any recommendations for kb/m combos, though? I've been upping my PS4 sensitivity and I'm at 9 right now, but the thought of rocking a mouse is getting more and more appealing...

I have a Razer deathadder and it’s fine. Some people want more buttons on their mouse though. Keyboard really doesn’t matter, unless you want some leet gaming poo poo. Be aware though - I bounce back and forth between pc and PS4, and the hit reg feels a little off with the mouse on PS4.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

I've gotten two of the three BR Birthday bonuses, is there any incentive to get all 3 beyond being completionist? I could care less about the sticker.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Keyboard does kind of matter. Often regular office keyboards can only have two or three keys pressed at the same time before they ignore further input.

Gaming keyboards tend to let you press a shitload of keys simultaneously before they throw out key presses

Bettyspagh3tt1
Jan 24, 2009

Father Wendigo posted:

I've gotten two of the three BR Birthday bonuses, is there any incentive to get all 3 beyond being completionist? I could care less about the sticker.

How much less?

I believe you get the back bling for completing all 3.

Bettyspagh3tt1
Jan 24, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Keyboard does kind of matter. Often regular office keyboards can only have two or three keys pressed at the same time before they ignore further input.

Gaming keyboards tend to let you press a shitload of keys simultaneously before they throw out key presses

Huh, interesting. I’ve never run into this, even with my shittiest of keyboards. Thanks for the info.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Bettyspagh3tt1 posted:

How much less?

I believe you get the back bling for completing all 3.

Cool, now I don't have to worry about cake dances.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Johnny Truant posted:

I mean, it's also going to depend on your raw DPS too so weapon quality might also be a bigger deal. But really my point was that while it's certainly possible, you still have to burn through like 50-100 of their wood each time just to have a chance of getting a lucky stray hit in. I wouldn't be too discouraged about it.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Update on the next generation of kids: I am now called toilet, as in, “toilet chose pleasant park”. Homophobia is improving: one kid called another gay and I said I have many gay friends to which the young philosopher said “there’s nothing wrong with being gay. He’s just....gay.”

edit: the kid who is gay is also on his period. They did not seem troubled by these conflicting descriptions.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

It's kind of a risk-reward / play-counterplay situation here.

As the aggressor you can:
Rush. If you have the p90 (compact smg) or the other "submachine gun", you can get a bullet or two through each time you break the wall. You can also sprint / jump into the wall and you'll phase through it when they try to rebuild it, then try to shotgun or spam them. You risk getting trapped or shotgunned, but most people will panic due to the zerging. Really good if they seem 100% committed to building.

Waste their materials. If you have the ammo and a better position (high ground usually), you can spam their walls down to kill their material stores. Especially now that wood starts with lower HP, if you spam tommy gun while they spam rebuild, you can trade 50 ammo for 300 of their materials. If you see their materials auto-switch to brick or metal, this is an especially effective idea. Also good in 2-1s or when you have great positioning and want to add pressure.

Kill them with timely explodes. 2-4 C4, 2-3 clingers, a handful of grenades, a rocket supported by a wall-breaking assault rifle, etc. will all be effective for putting down some HP damage or getting the kill effectively. At the pro level this is the main way to kill other good players since it's so hard to react to in time.

Bide your time for a clean shot. Especially if you have the height / peeking advantage, stay behind cover with your crosshair lined up, then pop up to kill them when they peek out.

Capture a wall and edit-shoot. If you're right next to someone turtling in a 1x1, you can break a wall and immediately rebuild you own wall in the same place. Once you have your own wall there, you have the ability to add a window / open a corner using the edit function.

As the one building your options are:

Turtle. Keep building till they stop shooting, then heal, fortify or escape. You can also build a bunch of walls to try to hide your position.

Bait a heavy peek. If you build a wall-ramp wedge and sit on it, most enemies will spam attack the wall. As soon as your enemy starts shooting the wall it means they've exposed their body and you can punish them. The timing is hard and it depends on how much health your wall managed to accumulate and the amount of support below you, but if you pull it off it's extremely effective. If you watch pro players you'll see them do this all the time--rush towards someone with a double ramp with reinforcement, then the second they hear gunshots add a floor under them (for insurance) then peek over the top with a quick punishing shot.

Line up a shot and release it the second the wall breaks. At long range you can do it with a sniper, at close range with a shotgun. The first few times you spam rebuild the wall to lull them into a rhythm, then pick your timing to line up and counter. You can get lots of easy kills doing this. It sounds like you might have gotten killed by this. I think this is an example of the strategy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRBLw2JrNBg&t=1s

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Enderzero posted:

Update on the next generation of kids: I am now called toilet, as in, “toilet chose pleasant park”. Homophobia is improving: one kid called another gay and I said I have many gay friends to which the young philosopher said “there’s nothing wrong with being gay. He’s just....gay.”

edit: the kid who is gay is also on his period. They did not seem troubled by these conflicting descriptions.

To be honest, toilet can be an earnest compliment since that was the icon official tournament gave to players that did most kills.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Seen a llama last night, stuck in a cliff like a few I seen in playground mode. Lets just rush off towards it without scoping out the situation! You know the rest.

Thought I was gonna get a solo win finally, sorta...abandoned my squad and went to flushing meadows, and managed to get 5 chests as no one else was there. Leg scar, leg therm. Good circle positioning, I hid under one of those outposts and just made walls in the gaps under the bottom, then moved when I had to. Finally engaged someone with 7 people left, and never so much as grazed them at range with the therm scoped. In every other shooter I'm always right to the front lines and I usually come away on top. In this I'm afraid to engage because I cant hit poo poo. I'm just trying to tell myself to calm down and take my time and aim when I run into someone. I'll be a month of sundays trying to get the other 395 sniper damage I need on console.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Enderzero posted:

You’re the Jane Goodall of Fortnite

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I whole heartedly support mis-using young people slang.

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh well, I got oofed, but it won't stop me from oofing the gently caress out of some people later!

Daaaaad you're using it wronnnng.

Bettyspagh3tt1
Jan 24, 2009

codo27 posted:

Seen a llama last night, stuck in a cliff like a few I seen in playground mode. Lets just rush off towards it without scoping out the situation! You know the rest.

Thought I was gonna get a solo win finally, sorta...abandoned my squad and went to flushing meadows, and managed to get 5 chests as no one else was there. Leg scar, leg therm. Good circle positioning, I hid under one of those outposts and just made walls in the gaps under the bottom, then moved when I had to. Finally engaged someone with 7 people left, and never so much as grazed them at range with the therm scoped. In every other shooter I'm always right to the front lines and I usually come away on top. In this I'm afraid to engage because I cant hit poo poo. I'm just trying to tell myself to calm down and take my time and aim when I run into someone. I'll be a month of sundays trying to get the other 395 sniper damage I need on console.

If you still aren’t used to the weapons, maybe taking more fights is a good idea? If you play a 20 minute game and only shoot your gun once, you aren’t improving at the combat portion, which is where you seem to be lacking. Maybe slam your head against a heavily populated area so you get used to the guns. My team made me repeatedly drop tilted with them, and I had no choice but to learn.

Alternatively, you could go into playground mode with some friends and practice shooting there.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

cinci zoo sniper posted:

To be honest, toilet can be an earnest compliment since that was the icon official tournament gave to players that did most kills.

It could be but it’s honestly just a corruption of my game name, tanning chatum. Kids are good at alliteration!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thats what I started to do last night. Instead of prepping for a final 10-15 showdown which is easy enough, I started grabbing guns and just going to people. I gotta get the hang of it eventually. Something else I was thinking. Dont just use a trap, drop something irresistible and have that be the bait. I always pick up traps then forget to use em.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'll do several matches in a row where I just drop right into Dusty or Tilted because I'm tired of wandering around and just want to shoot people. Winning doesn't need to be the point of every match.

H A T T A M
Apr 21, 2016

After messing with my settings in Playground for a while, I played my first match (Solo). I landed far away from the bus in Pleasant Park and spent 15 minutes looting it without seeing a single person. The circle kept coming to me so I just kept looting. I got 9th place by not seeing anyone until I heard someone in a house and lost the fight. It was so incredibly boring. Now I go to Tilted and am actually having fun, even if I die within 30 seconds.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Went from pretty exclusively playing 50v50 (then PvE for a few days since it was on-sale and I bought it), jumped into solos last night and got loving wrecked in under 3 minutes every game; that's what i get for playing ezmode poo poo for a couple weeks.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I thought I was being all cool yesterday and knew someone else was in the house, so I (very loudly) put a trap in the ceiling and hid under the stairs. Yes the trap sound is very loud but from upstairs he knew to smash the floor and destroy my trap, and could easily see and shoot me, though I felt I should have been hidden well enough under the stairs. But yeah top 20 even top 10 is super easy just by using stealth and being patient. I'm always torn between trying to stay still to reduce the bloom and, well, trying to not get murdered instantly by the seemingly vast array of guns that can just about 1 shot you.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

codo27 posted:

I thought I was being all cool yesterday and knew someone else was in the house, so I (very loudly) put a trap in the ceiling and hid under the stairs. Yes the trap sound is very loud but from upstairs he knew to smash the floor and destroy my trap, and could easily see and shoot me, though I felt I should have been hidden well enough under the stairs. But yeah top 20 even top 10 is super easy just by using stealth and being patient. I'm always torn between trying to stay still to reduce the bloom and, well, trying to not get murdered instantly by the seemingly vast array of guns that can just about 1 shot you.

Staying still will almost always be a death sentence, unless you have cover and the high ground. Even then it's pretty easy to get oofed.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Finished my second #1 round last night without firing a shot or doing any damage to a player. Game is good

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I've got one more birthday cake to get and I could swear I've been to all of them twice at this point.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Dropped in to Dusty last night and proceeded to get all 3 of my elims for the challenge, then choked against someone who didn't know I was there and lost at 4th place later on. Going up against someone who's a better builder than you is real rough unless you're packing remote charges, or a launcher of some kind so that you can just neutralize their building. Or splat them when they built a dozen stories high.

Clinger elims continue to be my favorite way to down someone though. Especially when you stick the wall behind them as they're building a 1x1 and they proceed to seal themselves in with it. :laugh:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Toebone posted:

I've got one more birthday cake to get and I could swear I've been to all of them twice at this point.

The one at the south shore of the lake was the one I needed. Could have sworn I had already gotten it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Toebone posted:

There's one at the bottom of loot Lake by the falls that threw me off.

Been grinding combat as was suggested, got the last 2 pistol elims I needed in one game... With the hand cannon.. in tilted! That felt good. Starting to feel like I'll be better prepared when I reach the later stages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Someone left the cake out in the rain. :v: