Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I've come across a court case from 1720s Denmark regarding the Miller taking too big a portion of the grain as his fee for letting the farmers use his milk. Iirc he had hollowed out the shovel used for taking it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Sometimes you need live animals for medical reasons also, cows w/ cowpox and poo poo like that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

-Zydeco- posted:

"We would need at 10 times as many cows at this to meet the requirement!"

"Could we just keep as many as we can so we can at least can meet some of the requirement and just triage who gets the milk?"

"No that's stupid. Better to just not have any."

I know you think your making some whitty come to but unironically yes.

Use that space for better supplies don’t waste it so you can have milk for some people

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

CharlestheHammer posted:

I know you think your making some whitty come to but unironically yes.

Use that space for better supplies don’t waste it so you can have milk for some people

What do you think the cows were just locked in some warehouse taking up valuable space? Or were they supposed to empty out the cow pasture and chuck a few crates of cigars in it?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Eschatos posted:

What do you think the cows were just locked in some warehouse taking up valuable space? Or were they supposed to empty out the cow pasture and chuck a few crates of cigars in it?

Well yes cows don’t exactly exist outside time and space they physically exist

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Hey Charles, I just got an email from the 1948 Berlin government. They admit they wrere wrong. You can stop now.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I'd figure cows were there to provide milk for those who'd need it most during a blockade: young children, those who couldn't handle a solid diet, etc.

Of course, you could achieve the same far more effectively by storing a ton of powdered milk instead, so :shrug:

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Alhazred posted:

Fun Fact: Nürnberg had a safran-schau (saffron inspector) because faking saffron was so rampant. In 1444 Jobst Findeker was burned at the stake for selling fake saffron

I read this as 1944 and thought surely they had more important things to worry about...

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
the cows were for berlin's zoophiles who would go crazy unable to travel to the countryside

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

duckmaster posted:

I read this as 1944 and thought surely they had more important things to worry about...

You know who didn't have any cows in his bunker? That's right, Hitler. :hitler:

And his bunker experience was terrible.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Fun German milk fact, Germany is the world´s largest exporter of breeding cattle and one of the leading countries in the export of bovine semen.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Suspect Bucket posted:

Fun German milk fact, Germany is the world´s largest exporter of breeding cattle and one of the leading countries in the export of bovine semen.

This is what I thought from the very beginning, that they were breedstock

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Suspect Bucket posted:

one of the leading countries in the export of bovine semen.

Or as they used to call it, “hard drugs”.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Pick posted:

the cows were for berlin's zoophiles who would go crazy unable to travel to the countryside

Is this for real because I'm pretty dumb and this would be the best.

Ah. Grand cow. I feel comfort.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m not sure that “zoophile” means what you think it means.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Ah poo poo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lmao

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

The cows are sacrificial, to be used in arcane rites when the war breaks out. That’s the only possible explanation. Is there talk of blemishes in the original document?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

verbal enema posted:

Is this for real because I'm pretty dumb and this would be the best.

Ah. Grand cow. I feel comfort.

That does to be fair sound like a German thing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
They included the cows so nobody would ask about / question the mustard.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
There's something comforting about a cow. They're very peaceful.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 30 days!)

Marie Antoinette was curious just how hard the average life of a French citizen was. She had a little village built so she can stroll around and see what it was like to be a poo poo poor Frenchman. Instead of, say, going outside the palace walls, she walked around and observed servants pretending to bake bread with huge smiles on their faces.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Grem posted:

Marie Antoinette was curious just how hard the average life of a French citizen was. She had a little village built so she can stroll around and see what it was like to be a poo poo poor Frenchman. Instead of, say, going outside the palace walls, she walked around and observed servants pretending to bake bread with huge smiles on their faces.

They were all executed for many reasons.

Also, at the baptism of the last Dauphin, he managed to do as babies do and partake in a fecal explosion. Dye artists made a shade of brown based off of the incident.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I recall reading that during WWII some self-taught chemists in the Shanghai Jewish Ghetto were able to do a really crude, but still usable and medically pure, synthesis of insulin from water buffaloes, but I forget if the process can be done without killing the animal.

Though I'd hazard there was probably a school in West Berlin with some kind of Ag program and some smart person got the idea to have the animals declared as war material so the government would pay to care for them.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

There's something comforting about a cow. They're very peaceful.

Therapy cows are a thing. For a certain amount of money you can lay next to a cow for a couple of hours.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

We have all been talking about german war cows for a while now and I have appreciated it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Aw boo it seemed that Kriegskuhe (war-cows) were mentioned in 1595 but it turns it's just google misreading Kriegsleut(h)e (war-people).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ariong posted:

Hey Charles, I just got an email from the 1948 Berlin government. They admit they wrere wrong. You can stop now.

Who cares what they think.

They stored cows for a siege their opinions aren’t worth much.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Maybe they were planning to build trebuchets and launch diseased bovine corpses across the Berlin Wall.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Cows weigh more than 90 kgs though, so you can't fling them 300 m.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bony tony posted:

chop them up first.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bony tony posted:

You can, however, use them to secure motorbikes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

C.M. Kruger posted:

I recall reading that during WWII some self-taught chemists in the Shanghai Jewish Ghetto were able to do a really crude, but still usable and medically pure, synthesis of insulin from water buffaloes, but I forget if the process can be done without killing the animal.

Probably not; the process of getting insulin from sheep also killed the animal. Animals need pancreases...or at any rate, without them, they'd need someone to manually regulate their insulin levels, which is kind of useless if you want the pancreas to extract the insulin from it.

stealth edit:

Platystemon posted:

You can, however, use them to secure motorbikes.

Oh goddammit, not this poo poo again.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I tried to look further into the Mysterious Case Of The Nineteen Unnecessary Cows but it seems that West Berlin's strategic reserves have been subject to hardly any research at all, much less its cattle.

I did find a couple of magazin articles however that name a bunch of other articles that were stored by the authorities, amongst them concrete (100,000 tonnes), sugar (40,000 tonnes), lime (60,000 tonnes), detergent (7,690 tonnes), timber (3,957 cubic metres), 8.7 million stones (no more information about them, sadly), black coal (2.25 million tonnes), pickles (47,628 kilograms), forklifts (at least 15), 500,000 blue roof tiles, 16.9 million pieces of soap and an unknown amount of raw cocoa, toilet lids, newsprint, transformer stations, sauerkraut, sailor's hats (??), bras ("In the size of an average German woman from 1948", as a local politician scoffed in the 70s), light fuel oil and liquid chocolate.

Unsurprisingly, there was also a lot of mismanagement and plain grifting going on: In 1975 one of the storage workers got found out; he had been stealing massive amounts of sugar for years, at least 335 tonnes (it took twenty people five days to check the various sugar storage sites and count the actual stored amount). It was suspected that those private contractors who supplied the city with non-perishable food just switched out the best-before labels instead of actually selling them new stuff. Two million hollow concrete blocks had to be sold for a pittance in 1971 because the standard size of this kind of blocks had changed. Millions of old coal briquets fell apart because they hadn't been stored properly, and in 1990 650,000 tonnes of black coal were buried behind the Gatow airport because the government figured that finding buyers for it would be more effort than simply digging a hole and throwing it away.

Some of the stored goods (like sugar and concrete) later turned out to have been produced by Eastern German prison labour which explains why the West Berlin government was able to buy it that cheaply.

Have some pictures:

Brown coal (1973)

Detergent (1955)

Coats, rugs and I dunno what the stuff to the left is (date unknown)

Fresh meat (date unkown)

And some more appallingly bad magazine scans:

Sauerkraut

Shoes from the strategic reserves getting sold. The sign to the right reads "half price - full quality", but seeing as most of the shoes had become totally unfashionable since they had been purchased by the city two decades ago, not many of them found new owners :v:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

System Metternich posted:

in 1990 650,000 tonnes of black coal were buried behind the Gatow airport because the government figured that finding buyers for it would be more effort than simply digging a hole and throwing it away.

:wtf:

If people are willing to build a Bagger 288 and literally move mountains to get to some lovely dirt that barely even qualifies as “coal”, surely they could have gotten bids to cart it away.

Yeah the scale is relatively small compared to opening a new mine, but it still the equivalent of three days of Bagger 288 work.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 14:15 on Aug 6, 2018

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I'm eating a beef and bean burrito right now, and I have to say that I wholeheartedly agree with the decision to keep some cows around.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Platystemon posted:

If people willing to build a Bagger 288 and literally move mountains to get to some lovely dirt that barely even qualifies as “coal”, surely they could have gotten bids to cart it away.

Yeah the scale is relatively small compared to opening a new mine, but it still the equivalent of three days of Bagger 288 work.

I'm assuming that the setup cost to move the coal was the limiting factor. Bagger 288 already had a set of supply lines already set up around it that paid for itself via the massive amounts of crap coal it was extracting. To hire men and move equipment to get at the reserve coal was probably deemed to be not cost effective.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Platystemon posted:

If people willing to build a Bagger 288 and literally move mountains to get to some lovely dirt that barely even qualifies as “coal”, surely they could have gotten bids to cart it away.

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. Maybe it was a weird compromise between "wanting to get rid of it" and "wanting to keep an emergency amount of coal handy"? In any case it's still there, directly below the greens of Gatow golf club if you need some coal :v:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

-Zydeco- posted:

I'm assuming that the setup cost to move the coal was the limiting factor. Bagger 288 already had a set of supply lines already set up around it that paid for itself via the massive amounts of crap coal it was extracting. To hire men and move equipment to get at the reserve coal was probably deemed to be not cost effective.

They had to get the people and machines to drive it to a hole and bury it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

System Metternich posted:

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. Maybe it was a weird compromise between "wanting to get rid of it" and "wanting to keep an emergency amount of coal handy"? In any case it's still there, directly below the greens of Gatow golf club if you need some coal :v:

Lighting a 600,000 ton cache of coal under a golf club during peak time sure sounds cathartic.