Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I am shocked, SHOCKED to learn that forums poster John Smith is a military bootlicker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
:siren: This is your weekly reminder to stragglers to put John Smith on ignore :siren:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm just recalling that part where Patton hit a guy suffering from PTSD while he was in his hospital bed. And for years that wasn't necessarily considered a bad thing for Patton to have done.

That was absolutely considered a bad thing for Patton to have done. People reported on it from the start, word reached Eisenhower and Eisenhower had a poo poo fit over it and ordered Patton to personally apologize to the men and told him in writing that it was a very bad thing he did. The condemnation of Patton for the incident was almost universal, especially once the press and Congress found out. If Patton hadn't been deemed necessary for the war effort he'd have been removed from duty.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

John Smith posted:

Is my post not factually correct and an accurate summary of the legal issues? If not, do kindly have the moral courage to correct me on any misunderstanding.

Be the man that you should be.

Edit: To be honest, it is not merely the far-left ideology that disturbs me about SA. It is more the dishonourable moral conduct by many posters here. Different opinions can be respected, but we should be able to unite on factual matters. Don't lie on facts just to boost your opinion. If it is wrong for Trump to do it, it should be wrong for liberals to do it as well. Despite my strong support of Trump, I recognize and accept his numerous dishonourable acts as being what they are. Facts should remain facts.

And to be clear, this applies to the Conservatives as well. Those viewers of Fox News and Stormfront.

Shut the gently caress up with this far left far right labelling bullshit. It's this lens that you instinctually, instantly, and continuously hold up to every single situation or conversation and it is painfully unhelpful and makes you look like an idiot.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Weatherman posted:

:siren: This is your weekly reminder to stragglers to put John Smith on ignore :siren:
Fairly new to the thread, but I get it now.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

BMan posted:

I am shocked, SHOCKED to learn that forums poster John Smith is a military bootlicker.

Having a yellow ribbon on his horse-truck is clearly the extent of his respect for veterans. Maybe he donates a buck or so to Help the Vets to make himself feel better after telling a war widow that a quick read on military.com confirms that she's lying about how awful survivor benefits are.

Donating to sham charities is BWM.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Shut the gently caress up with this far left far right labelling bullshit. It's this lens that you instinctually, instantly, and continuously hold up to every single situation or conversation and it is painfully unhelpful and makes you look like an idiot.
But is it not justified / accurate? You are telling me that the far-left tendency of SA has had no material impact here? That the sharp disparity between my far-right perspective and the far-left perspective of SA is not a major contributing factor?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

John Smith posted:

But is it not justified / accurate? You are telling me that the far-left tendency of SA has had no material impact here? That the sharp disparity between my far-right perspective and the far-left perspective of SA is not a major contributing factor?

Yes I am abolutely telling you that your atyempt at reduction to meaninglessly wide labels is continuously innacurate. Lol you used it three times in this post alone. You see everything in one dimension like some stick figure carucature.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

John Smith posted:

I do not know whether it is overall an attractive package, since I am not an expert.

To be very clear, I am not supporting or opposing DoD's insurance T&Cs; I am stating that your facts do not match up to your claims.

oRenj9 posted:

telling a war widow that ... that she's lying about how awful survivor benefits are.

See? Yet another liar. I stand vindicated by my superior moral conduct.

However awful my subjective personal opinions may be deemed by SA, at least my own internal moral conduct is honest and forthright.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yes I am abolutely telling you that your atyempt at reduction to meaninglessly wide labels is continuously innacurate. Lol you used it three times in this post alone. You see everything in one dimension like some stick figure carucature.
To clarify. Do you merely mean that it is not a major contributing factor? Basically, that I am exaggerating or overstating things? If so, I am willing to accept that yes, this is a possible flaw in my perspective and certainly something that should be guarded against. Or do you mean that it is not true to a complete and absolute extent?

Ok, I want to test your own honesty first. Was oRenj9 factually wrong in his post? Yes or no? I am not interested in whether you agree with his subjective opinion; I refer solely to the factual elements highlighted.

Edit: And if it is not the far-left far-right aspects, then what do you think such dishonesty as oRenj9 should be accounted to? I admit I may be wrong, but then what is your explanation then? Just that it is human nature to get all hot and want to win, and therefore accidentally slip into lying to get the upper hand? Or what? Tell me your version then, since I am not willing to deny that I may be wrong.

John Smith fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 5, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
correction: ban john smith from every subforum except cspam and dnd

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I'm not reading any of John Smith's posts but I can feel the shittiness even through the ignore shield. Shut the gently caress up, John.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm not reading any of John Smith's posts but I can feel the shittiness even through the ignore shield. Shut the gently caress up, John.
Moral coward.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I only stated the absolute fact that a harsh offset/pro-rate policy is not the same as non-payment altogether. I even provided the direct government link explaining said policy.

The fact that SA is so furious is a moral fault in SA, rather than any error in me. Unless I did misunderstood the legal issues, in which case fair enough. Shame on you all.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

Shut the gently caress up, John.

John Smith posted:

I only stated the absolute fact that a harsh offset/pro-rate policy is not the same as non-payment altogether. I even provided the direct government link explaining said policy.

The fact that SA is so furious is a moral fault in SA, rather than any error in me. Unless I did misunderstood the legal issues, in which case fair enough. Shame on you all.

Then stop posting.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

"Will someone shut that man up?"
"Never! Never!"

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Weatherman posted:

Come and join 423 people who are consistently winning.

Up 10 places and 50 ignores in a month! Come on guys we can make it top 30 by the end of the summer

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I can't tell if this is GWM or not. My mom is who is hospice care is having trouble remembering to pay her bills and wants me to take over so she doesn't risk her 820 credit score. She will literally never take out another line of credit, but she wants to keep that score. I think I will find some way to sneak the number into her obituary.

Going through her bills I also discovered 1/3rd of her pension/social security is being spent by my dumbass brother who has access to her credit card so now I get to deal with that. Unfortunately she's enabled him for so long I don't think I can convince her to cut him off. :sigh:

And this is what everyone should be seeing.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You're really trying to avoid GIP, aren't you? For someone who respects the military so much you seem hesitant to talk to people in it. Here's a summary someone posted in GIP. If you want to know more look up the SBP-DIC offset, this is just a plain English version because a lot of articles are using terms I wasn't familiar with.

If you want to know more details just go to GIP, I'm not in the military so they can tell you more. One thing I can tell you: There's a bill sitting in Congress that would get rid of the offset. Not so they get the whole thing like they should, but so they go back to not getting anything from the second one (that they pay a ton of money for every month while alive).

You're being very disingenuous here. They aren't being paid "survivor benefits" because they're being paid through essentially the same thing with a different name. And according to this, you always get the SSIA payment no matter what.

Harry fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 5, 2018

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Weatherman posted:

Up 10 places and 50 ignores in a month! Come on guys we can make it top 30 by the end of the summer

I’m doing my part!

John Smith you’re the first person I’ve ever blocked or ignored on any social media platform that wasn’t for spam. I routinely argue with flat earthers, evolution deniers, and climate change deniers who don’t have a fraction of the unwarranted arrogance and smug self-satisfaction you’ve recently displayed, so good on you for not only being wrong but being an insufferable twat besides. Have some humility sometime maybe.

IN BWM NEWS:
One of my best friends got married this week, the bride obsessively planned an outdoor wedding and didn’t have a backup plan in case of inclement weather. Of course a storm cell popped up directly overhead in the hour the wedding was scheduled for. They had outdoor speakers, glassware, exquisite calligraphy menus and schedules, fine linens, the works. About 5% of the stemware broke from the occasional gusts despite everyone trying to hold things down. The venue had a pavilion but it wasn’t entirely sealed and the wind was driving the downpour sideways so there was little protection. They didn’t have sides to the canopy ready so half the storm was unsheltered. When they finally did bring sides they didn’t have enough, nor any way to attach them to the ground, so people had to stand in front of it to support it with their bodies (and had rainwater run down directly into their shoes).

They’ve spent $25k on the venue alone, and were probably in the $60k range all told. They also just bought a house. They both have good jobs but the whole situation just makes me feel :cripes:

Everyone had a blast and honestly it was probably good that the weather was a disaster so she could come around to not giving a gently caress. There was one point where someone asked if she was ok and she said, “Yeah... excuse me I’m just going to stand over here so I can’t any hear more shattering”

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I sincerely apologize for starting this. I've always had a feeling that John Smith was just a naive but well intentioned aspie (no, that's not an insult). So I tried to appeal to his concern for people who risk their lives for this country.

This made me think of something, though. Can military members even get traditional life insurance? I would think that unless there's a law specifically about that situation an insurance company would look at an application from someone whose job description includes getting shot at and laugh.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I'm pretty sure most life insurance policies exclude acts of war and terrorism. If I remember right that caused a ruckus after 9/11.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I sincerely apologize for starting this. I've always had a feeling that John Smith was just a naive but well intentioned aspie (no, that's not an insult). So I tried to appeal to his concern for people who risk their lives for this country.

This made me think of something, though. Can military members even get traditional life insurance? I would think that unless there's a law specifically about that situation an insurance company would look at an application from someone whose job description includes getting shot at and laugh.
You pay like $5 a month for Servicemember Group Life Insurance (SGLI) which rewards $400k to your survivors while you serve.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DarkHorse posted:

the unwarranted arrogance and smug self-satisfaction you’ve recently displayed, so good on you for not only being wrong but being an insufferable twat besides. Have some humility sometime maybe.
Why? My arrogance and smug self-satisfaction is amply earned. SA may dislike me, but at least I am factually correct. At my heights, should I really be improperly humble?

Harry posted:

You're being very disingenuous here. They aren't being paid "survivor benefits" because they're being paid through essentially the same thing with a different name. And according to this, you always get the SSIA payment no matter what.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

But you were factually wrong. Does your concern for the troops justify lying? You claimed that their family didn't get paid, when the truth was that they got paid less. Is honesty only for other people?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

John Smith posted:

But you were factually wrong. Does your concern for the troops justify lying? You claimed that their family didn't get paid, when the truth was that they got paid less. Is honesty only for other people?

I'm sorry everybody else, I never learn.

Suppose someone says "I'm going to pay you $1,000 for thing A." Then they also say "I'm going to pay you $1,000 for thing B." Then they come back and say "Actually, since I'm giving you $1,000 for thing A I'm only giving you $300 for thing B. And also I might not give it to you after all, we'll see." Technically they're paying you, but they're not paying you what they originally said they would. Does that make it okay? Especially when you had to pay them to give you thing B.

Hoodwinker posted:

You pay like $5 a month for Servicemember Group Life Insurance (SGLI) which rewards $400k to your survivors while you serve.

That's something at least. A good price at least. Not enough insurance for people making more than private money, but better than nothing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Can military members even get traditional life insurance?

Yes but as touched upon

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I'm pretty sure most life insurance policies exclude acts of war and terrorism.

Many insurers have a 'war clause' so if you're expecting to die on the great Afghan plans then find a provider without it. I did that for a bit because the multi-line discount saved me like fifty bucks a month.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

correction: ban hang john smith from the neck until dead from every subforum except cspam and dnd

e.

Droo posted:

One of them suggested murdering him so I think they are actually worse.

:decorum:

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 5, 2018

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

22 Eargesplitten posted:

they won't even pay survivor's benefits to war widows

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Technically they're paying you
And do you consider honesty applicable only for other people?

Should you yourself not be honest and morally upright? You claimed that they were not paid, when they were in fact paid. You stated a factual falsehood and am still denying your wrong-doing.

Edit: I persisted in questioning you at the start for google-able details, because I didn't trust you and thought you were potentially a liar. Indeed, my doubts of you were vindicated as demonstrated by your misconduct.

John Smith fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 5, 2018

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
On Thursday I said something about enjoying the derails

Somewhere out there, there's a monkey paw with one finger down :negative:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The myriad of posts telling people to put John Smith in ignore are as bad as his posts themselves tbh

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

mandatory lesbian posted:

The myriad of posts telling people to put John Smith in ignore are as bad as his posts themselves tbh

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Droo posted:

There are bad people on both sides.

Except one side has only one person and is therefore 100% bad.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ban for js, probe for everyone else including myself, call it even

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

DarkHorse posted:

I’m doing my part!

John Smith you’re the first person I’ve ever blocked or ignored on any social media platform that wasn’t for spam. I routinely argue with flat earthers, evolution deniers, and climate change deniers who don’t have a fraction of the unwarranted arrogance and smug self-satisfaction you’ve recently displayed, so good on you for not only being wrong but being an insufferable twat besides. Have some humility sometime maybe.

IN BWM NEWS:
One of my best friends got married this week, the bride obsessively planned an outdoor wedding and didn’t have a backup plan in case of inclement weather. Of course a storm cell popped up directly overhead in the hour the wedding was scheduled for. They had outdoor speakers, glassware, exquisite calligraphy menus and schedules, fine linens, the works. About 5% of the stemware broke from the occasional gusts despite everyone trying to hold things down. The venue had a pavilion but it wasn’t entirely sealed and the wind was driving the downpour sideways so there was little protection. They didn’t have sides to the canopy ready so half the storm was unsheltered. When they finally did bring sides they didn’t have enough, nor any way to attach them to the ground, so people had to stand in front of it to support it with their bodies (and had rainwater run down directly into their shoes).

They’ve spent $25k on the venue alone, and were probably in the $60k range all told. They also just bought a house. They both have good jobs but the whole situation just makes me feel :cripes:

Everyone had a blast and honestly it was probably good that the weather was a disaster so she could come around to not giving a gently caress. There was one point where someone asked if she was ok and she said, “Yeah... excuse me I’m just going to stand over here so I can’t any hear more shattering”

I'm sorry to contribute to wedding chat, but I'll offset you BWM wedding experience with my GWM experience from early this week. City hall wedding, 2 guests, one of them (me) was also the photographer. Best wedding I've ever been to.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

theHUNGERian posted:

I'm sorry to contribute to wedding chat, but I'll offset you BWM wedding experience with my GWM experience from early this week. City hall wedding, 2 guests, one of them (me) was also the photographer. Best wedding I've ever been to.

I don't think you get this thread

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hey a whole bunch of posts in the BWM thread, I said, hoping for some good BWM thread.

Nope, just multiple idiots getting dragged into arguments with Ayn Rand’s homunculus and The Worst Poster in this dead gay comedy forum.

I love it 😍

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Higgy posted:

Hey a whole bunch of posts in the BWM thread, I said, hoping for some good BWM thread.

Nope, just multiple idiots getting dragged into arguments with Ayn Rand’s homunculus and The Worst Poster in this dead gay comedy forum.

I love it 😍

The Idiots on Social Media thread has been in an 10 hour derail about vegetarianism.

It's been a bad weekend for derails. Where are the mods?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Purchased brand new, $25000 vehicle. In way over her head.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/94q18l/purchased_brand_new_25000_vehicle_in_way_over_her/

quote:

My mother, in credit card debt up to her ears, recently purchased a $25000 brand new Honda midsize crossover. The monthly payment is $385.

Is it financially a wise decision to trade this car in for a used car (Camry or civic preferably) that sits around the $10-12k price range?

She has to have a reliable car for her long commute, period. But I know that doesn’t mean she needs a $25000 car.

Edit: current Kelley blue book trade in value puts the car around $15000.
$25k vehicle, $15k KBB...

Just married couple, 95k$ in debt, income of about 7-8k$ a month.. What do we do next?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/94s523/just_married_couple_95k_in_debt_income_of_about/

quote:

We have just gotten married earlier this year. We together pull in about 7-8k$ monthly and have about 95k$ in debt. We have been paying down the monthly payments at about 1k$ a month as we gather our money to create an emergency fund, which is nearing our goal of about 25k$, what do we do with the income after we hit that goal for our emergency fund?

Pay down the debt faster? Save it for a house? Put it in some sort of mutual fund?

Relevant info, mid 20 year olds, never bankrupt good credit etc.

Thank you for any and all advice! Reddit you the best!
They sure know how to post clear info. I wonder if they're Americans, the put the dollar sign on the wrong side. They clarify its student loan debt, so if it's at 4% their plan is probably good (3-6mo efund before debt repayment), if its high interest private, they are doing it wrong.

My SO doesn’t believe I should be investing right now.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/94sryw/my_so_doesnt_believe_i_should_be_investing_right/

quote:

I want to start out by saying I am open to being told I am wrong about this.

We both recently graduated college and moved in together. We both started jobs and have some more disposable income. She graduated with student loans while I am lucky enough to not have any. She needed a newer car and decided to take out a loan to afford it. To be fair though she is in a field where she is starting out at $27 an hour.

I opened a Robinhood account with the intent of putting 40 dollars a week into investing. With my current position that is about 7% of what I am currently making per week. I have no debt and my rent contribution is only 375 per month. I also have about 8000 in my savings as a nest egg that I only dipped into for the big purchases for our apartment.

Her concern is the riskiness of investing and that I should be putting my money in savings, because that is what she is having to do to pay off her loans.

I know from my finance classes from college that investing is for the long term and the importance of diversifying to lower overall risk, but she only sees it as a gamble that I might lose all the money I put in.

I want to start investing for the future, and for the first time I feel secure enough in my own finances to do so, but I am being met with resistance.
Poster is putting $40/wk into Robinhood which is 7% of pay, so they make about $14/hr or $30k/yr.

Poster should be putting it into a Roth IRA and get a new job.

SO needs to learn about investing and not buying new cars.

E: I missed the URL, sorry.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 6, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

theHUNGERian posted:

Just don’t.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
SiGmA_X, the hero the thread needs right now.

I'm not sure if this is BWM, exactly, but it's just so... :discourse:

My Goal is to build and live in my own castle

quote:

Crazy goal right? I'm currently making just over $36k at 23. I'm paying off low student loans, and I put $100 into my Roth IRA every month. Taking out gas, food, rent and impulse buys, I manage to put away about $500-$800 in savings each month. What's the quickest way for me to get to my goal? I live in SoCal if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yikes, imagine having a partner who worried about your $40/week habit, regardless of what it is.