Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jonathan Fisk posted:

the mcu is a children's fantasy environment that has divinely inspired half-animals and strongmen fighting robots, aliens and the undead to stabilize the universe's supply of magic

applying real-world ethics to its actors because they film it in nyc (and hong kong!!!) is a waste of time

As long as movies are made in the real world by real people they’re going to reflect real-world politics, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

is team umizoomi sufficiently radical? my 50,000 page thesis

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pablo Nergigante posted:

As long as movies are made in the real world by real people they’re going to reflect real-world politics, sorry

nah

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Movies do ~reflect~ politics. But there is a colossal gap between reflecting and shaping politics.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
this is an era where frog memes elected donald trump president, all brands are woke brands

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

In the movie a monarch defeats an insurrectionist and decides an outreach center is preferable to a populist revolution and the movie is financed by people who have agendas but we shouldn't casually comment with extremely obvious readings of it because, uh

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

ideally b/c you could do something of greater consequence than getting serious about superhero ethics in comic book stories which operate in a universe that only superficially resembles ours

thanos is the good guy, from a malthusian perspective, and it's horrendous what ne$$$tle is doing

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Farrier Theaks posted:

this is an era where frog memes elected donald trump president, all brands are woke brands

i want doge prez

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Jonathan Fisk posted:

ideally b/c you could do something of greater consequence than getting serious about superhero ethics in comic book stories which operate in a universe that only superficially resembles ours

thanos is the good guy, from a malthusian perspective, and it's horrendous what ne$$$tle is doing

The minute and a half I spent thinking about it could have been put to such greater use!

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

that, applied to every lovely movie or tv show

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I won't even mention video games or anime out of self preservation

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jonathan Fisk posted:

ideally b/c you could do something of greater consequence than posting on an internet forum

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Kingfish posted:

I read a lot in TGRS about how Killmonger is obviously terrible and villainous because of the way he treats women or something. But then I watched the movie and it’s clear he was not wrong.

I mean he does literally murder his girlfriend the instant she becomes inconvenient to him. Seems pretty consistent to not just let that slide.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Jonathan Fisk posted:

the mcu is a children's fantasy environment that has divinely inspired half-animals and strongmen fighting robots, aliens and the undead to stabilize the universe's supply of magic

applying real-world ethics to its actors because they film it in nyc (and hong kong!!!) is a waste of time

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
super hero movies are for children

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jonathan Fisk posted:

you paid ten dollars to post on a message board dumbass

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

little munchkin posted:

super hero movies are for children

Things made for children are political too

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean he does literally murder his girlfriend the instant she becomes inconvenient to him. Seems pretty consistent to not just let that slide.

When does that happen? I’ve read this before but I don’t remember the scene.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Kingfish posted:

When does that happen? I’ve read this before but I don’t remember the scene.

Right at the end of the first act iirc, Klaue takes her hostage, Killmonger immediately shoots her in the head and then shoots Klaue, and then reveals that he's Wakandan while Klaue laughs and laughs until he's killed.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

God strike me down if I have ever spent money on this site

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

and ye posting is objectively a waste of time but I make no attempt to disguise it by dissecting children's media for ways to connect my pet perspectives

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jonathan Fisk posted:

and ye posting is objectively a waste of time but

you could have stopped here

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

:gas: me tho that's not a woke brand

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TycfDgg4acY

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jonathan Fisk posted:

and ye posting is objectively a waste of time but I make no attempt to disguise it by dissecting children's media for ways to connect my pet perspectives

You should take more pride in your work

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Right at the end of the first act iirc, Klaue takes her hostage, Killmonger immediately shoots her in the head and then shoots Klaue, and then reveals that he's Wakandan while Klaue laughs and laughs until he's killed.

A powerful moral about how class will always trump other identities. Killmonger is royalty and no racial solidarity or personal attachment will risk that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Andy Serkis playing a cackling lunatic cyborg with an arm cannon was great.

But yeah, basically.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I kind of see it more as the kind of ruthless revolutionary pragmatism that led Che Guevara to just shoot dudes on the spot and without warning during the Cuban revolution

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

a society that looks for pop culture to reflect real-world politics and passes it off as a good thing is a very sick society

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

You should be worried about the garbage we let our children eat and watch

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

get that OUT of my face posted:

a society that looks for pop culture to reflect real-world politics and passes it off as a good thing is a very sick society

I never said whether it was a good thing or a bad thing, Plok

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

It's funny to me that the world is a festering ultranationalist shitpile and whatnot but we're not supposed to waste any precious time questioning how every movie has the CIA or some other alphabet agency or even just purely and baldly the US armed forces as the good guys. Even a dying, moribund culture like that of the 21st century United States needs to be critiqued, or how do you think it got that way in the first place?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Calibanibal posted:

You should be worried about the garbage we let our children eat and watch

The children have infinitely worse problems than their choices of entertainment.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Oh sorry. ithought this was the #brand thread my bad

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

TomViolence posted:

It's funny to me that the world is a festering ultranationalist shitpile and whatnot but we're not supposed to waste any precious time questioning how every movie has the CIA or some other alphabet agency or even just purely and baldly the US armed forces as the good guys. Even a dying, moribund culture like that of the 21st century United States needs to be critiqued, or how do you think it got that way in the first place?
that's not what today's critics are doing. that world suits them just fine on account of them being privileged shitheads who went to places like yale or wesleyan or whatever. they're too busy looking unanimously agreeing that Nanette is a revolution in comedy when it's just a one-woman show with some jokes in it, or unanimously saying that Who Is America is bad because we're in such a terrible time that we're not supposed to be laughing at it

and yes, they're saying that Black Panther is an important film for superficial reasons, in spite of its "security state as the good guy" undertones

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Who is this "they", these yale critics or w/e. Any literate moron can critique art. Even I could, if I learned how to read

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Calibanibal posted:

Who is this "they", these yale critics or w/e. Any literate moron can critique art. Even I could, if I learned how to read
pretty much any review you read on a given pop culture site

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

get that OUT of my face posted:

that's not what today's critics are doing. that world suits them just fine on account of them being privileged shitheads who went to places like yale or wesleyan or whatever. they're too busy looking unanimously agreeing that Nanette is a revolution in comedy when it's just a one-woman show with some jokes in it, or unanimously saying that Who Is America is bad because we're in such a terrible time that we're not supposed to be laughing at it

and yes, they're saying that Black Panther is an important film for superficial reasons, in spite of its "security state as the good guy" undertones

I was just talking about the impossibility of creating apolitical art, I don’t know how you got to this from that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I was just talking about the impossibility of creating apolitical art, I don’t know how you got to this from that
sorry, i hate the current pop culture climate and just flew off the handle