Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Goon Danton posted:

For baronies/counties/duchies, the claimant needs to either be of your dynasty or already landed in your realm for the land to join your blob. For kingdoms it has to be both.

I just found out that religious liberation only gives you a tributary, not a vassal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Nah for kingdoms it still just needs to be one of the requirements. It makes expanding as an empire really easy if you just invite the claimants from all the kingdoms surrounding you and press their claims.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Buschmaki posted:

Nah for kingdoms it still just needs to be one of the requirements. It makes expanding as an empire really easy if you just invite the claimants from all the kingdoms surrounding you and press their claims.

I was able to take most of easten Europe and the steppe in my England world conquest game by inviting a claiment converting him to Christianity landing him in a empty castle in Middlesex invading then when the pagan vassels revolt and overthrow him revoke and move on to the next

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Goon Danton posted:

For baronies/counties/duchies, the claimant needs to either be of your dynasty or already landed in your realm for the land to join your blob. For kingdoms it has to be both.

There is a third option; the title can be part of your de jure land, although given the new JD CBs, pressing de jure claims might be less useful.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The JD CBs are all pretty expensive though.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I'm doing it, guys. Been working on how to get more claims out there:

I got 4 duchy claims by bribing, inviting, and then landing some french nerds. I'm not sure why it took so long to get the claims to appear, I assume its cause these dorks needed to have some Irish-born children to count?

EDIT: Also, because I haven't forbidden it, the Duchess of Seville has been tearing up the provinces in northern Africa. I'm just gonna let those people do their thing.

Crimson Harvest fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 2, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
If they’re weak claims you can only press them in certain scenarios. One of those scenarios is “title is in a regency” though so that ones pretty easy to force - just assassinate the current holder until a child inherits.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So I've just started this and after doing a bit in Ireland to learn the basic basics, I decided to do an ironman Charlemagne.

I have questions about gavelkind and empires and kingdoms. I'm assuming I can spin off the kingdoms as vassals? What's the "safest" way to do so? My second son is due to inherit Bavaria and East Francia, is that going to be "ok" from the perspective of them all being under my umbrella?

Also, is there a good way to invade Saxony? If you total up the entire country's supply limits it can support about 4 guys and a donkey. Eating 20% attrition on my army when fighting their 7500 prestige summoned troops is savage.

e: while I'm at it, making a mercenary company: 1) is there any good way to see what sort of income I'm making from them, and 2) can they be hired to attack you or do you get some cover in that regard?

Azhais fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 2, 2018

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
^ Is that one of the things Forts do, help out with attrition?

Also, gently caress. I need to maybe slow my roll in participating in crusades. I'm now the owner of 7 levantine provinces, so now I border the Mariamid empire and the Byzantine. i wonder how tough it's gonna be to kick the muslims out of western Africa.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
So I started playing as a vassal of the Western Protectorate. After 150 years I was sort of bored during a peaceful reign and looked around the world to see what I could see, and noticed that the Byzantine Empire was getting pretty large. I realized that I was sitting on something like 7000 grace from just doing gently caress-all besides sending an occasional childless daughter or uncle off to be concubine or eunuch, so on a lark I just asked the Emperor to go in and destroy the Byzantine Empire. He did!! Within about a year of campaigning, the Byzantine Empire was shattered into a million pieces after about 5 15k doomstacks crossed all of Western Asia to reach them, and here I am, the half-blind lunatic duke of some random-rear end Silk Road realm laughing my rear end off, giddy with power.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
They really just ought to make an Imperial China game. You could sell era-based expansion packs to it for years.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

They really just ought to make an Imperial China game. You could sell era-based expansion packs to it for years.

Wouldn't there be kind of a difficulty with regards to game balance? They'd definitely have to beef up their internal politics game considerably, because of the snowball effect inherent in any of the big blobs. In a game based around one single huge blob being the central focus, the key would be somehow to make it so that it'd be hard for a player playing China to end up taking over the whole of East Asia in the first 100 years of gameplay, while simultaneously making it not boring for them.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

DrSunshine posted:

So I started playing as a vassal of the Western Protectorate. After 150 years I was sort of bored during a peaceful reign and looked around the world to see what I could see, and noticed that the Byzantine Empire was getting pretty large. I realized that I was sitting on something like 7000 grace from just doing gently caress-all besides sending an occasional childless daughter or uncle off to be concubine or eunuch, so on a lark I just asked the Emperor to go in and destroy the Byzantine Empire. He did!! Within about a year of campaigning, the Byzantine Empire was shattered into a million pieces after about 5 15k doomstacks crossed all of Western Asia to reach them, and here I am, the half-blind lunatic duke of some random-rear end Silk Road realm laughing my rear end off, giddy with power.

I recently did this same thing to the Abbasids and the end result was Tibet sweeping west all the way to Arabia and the Byzantines and poo poo. It was nuts.

My original plan was to shatter Tibet but those motherfuckers bought a peace deal with China right before I got the 5000 grace. I was suuuuuper pissed.

E: I had already swallowed the other vassals of the Western Protectorate and even switched to Tengrism from Taoism so that I could war harder when Tibet got blowed up too.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 3, 2018

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Azhais posted:

So I've just started this and after doing a bit in Ireland to learn the basic basics, I decided to do an ironman Charlemagne.

I have questions about gavelkind and empires and kingdoms. I'm assuming I can spin off the kingdoms as vassals? What's the "safest" way to do so? My second son is due to inherit Bavaria and East Francia, is that going to be "ok" from the perspective of them all being under my umbrella?

Also, is there a good way to invade Saxony? If you total up the entire country's supply limits it can support about 4 guys and a donkey. Eating 20% attrition on my army when fighting their 7500 prestige summoned troops is savage.

e: while I'm at it, making a mercenary company: 1) is there any good way to see what sort of income I'm making from them, and 2) can they be hired to attack you or do you get some cover in that regard?

If you're an emperor, kingdom titles will be your vassals if you give them out or lose them during inheritance. Otherwise they become independent. This isn't the worst thing if your brothers are loyal but having a powerful vassal who also has claims on your titles is never good.

You can build forts in enemy territory to remove the supply limit penalty.

Don't bother making mercenary companies, that option mostly exists for nomads.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

DrSunshine posted:

Wouldn't there be kind of a difficulty with regards to game balance? They'd definitely have to beef up their internal politics game considerably, because of the snowball effect inherent in any of the big blobs. In a game based around one single huge blob being the central focus, the key would be somehow to make it so that it'd be hard for a player playing China to end up taking over the whole of East Asia in the first 100 years of gameplay, while simultaneously making it not boring for them.

They could set it in the Spring & Autumns and Warring States periods, it's probably the closest thing to the Middle Ages China had. As in, a splintering into lots of small-ish states lasting about 500 years before reunification as an empire. The Three Kingdoms are the more obvious choice but that period only lasted about a century.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
Probably a dumb question, but I've seen conflicting reports on this: will currently-existing saves work with HF and the accompanying patch once that's out, or will the map changes break compatibility? My plan was to put my current Tibet playthrough on hold until its release so that I can start taking advantage of the changes (mainly being able to finally reform Bön) earlier in the game timeline, but if I'd have to keep my game on an older version to be able to play that save at all, then that'd have turned out to have been a dumb idea in retrospect, huh :(

sorry if that's too hard to parse, I kinda lost control of the grammar there orz

Also re: forts, while I haven't gotten the chance to use the anti-pagan/nomad functions of them yet, I've found they're also handy to set up on the border of your own territory as a cheap way to buy time against invading armies. Sometimes the AI will even waste time knocking down a fort in a county that they don't actually have the manpower to siege!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Any map changes will break saves

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kassad posted:

They could set it in the Spring & Autumns and Warring States periods, it's probably the closest thing to the Middle Ages China had. As in, a splintering into lots of small-ish states lasting about 500 years before reunification as an empire. The Three Kingdoms are the more obvious choice but that period only lasted about a century.

The scale of the passage of time doesn't necessarily have to be identical to Crusader Kings' or EU's.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I tried to get China to poo poo all over Tibet again and this time right as I approached 5000 grace they got owned by Jurchens and now I'm back to square one.

drat it, game, let me turbofuck Tibet already.

E: Well, I officially hate Tibet. I finally managed to have them shattered by the new Jurchens. Awesome! So I launched an invasion of Kroran. Every single Buddhist in Tibet rallied against me. This isn't too big a deal. It was kind of troublesome to keep smacking their armies down but it wasn't a big deal. Well Kroran got desperate and settled a conquering host in his land, bringing his 6,000 troops with him. Well gently caress me. To make matters worse this dude's 6k event troops are reinforcing. How the hell is that possible? The only good news is I managed to marry in with some nomads and convinced the Khazarians to step in with nearly 5k angry horsemen so maybe I can turn this shitshow around. This war's been raging for ten years now.

E2: Son of a bitch, Kroran's somehow brought in the Kozelid nomads on their side. That's 4k in hordes. I don't get this poo poo man. Dulan just entered the war against me with 12k troops. They're a Buddhist duchy, how in the hell did they conjure up 12k event troops? I also managed to arrange marriages with every major power in the Islamic world and bring them into the war but it was too late. 15 years of constant fighting down the tubes because somehow a bunch of Buddhists were making GBS threads out incredible amounts of event troops.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 4, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So, what's the best way to counter the advanced Viking 9th century mole machine technology? Is there a mod to make giant red arrows to track the tiny ripples in your empire they make before burrowing to the surface with 6500 troops?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Azhais posted:

So, what's the best way to counter the advanced Viking 9th century mole machine technology? Is there a mod to make giant red arrows to track the tiny ripples in your empire they make before burrowing to the surface with 6500 troops?

drat this dlc I've missed out on sounds awesome

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Azhais posted:

when you get the hellmouth event, build landships and launch depth charges into it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Azhais posted:

Put your Spymaster on "Sensor Sweep" duty or research Geology level 4 to unlock the Gravimetric Scan intrigue decision.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It might be neat if people other than vikings could interact with rivers. Maybe even string a chain across it if you meet some kinds of requirements.

It's a little weird how Paradox doesn't model the historical chain across the bosporous or the mostly theoretical reasons that Britain was worried about getting blocked out of the Mediterranean at Gibraltir.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Honky Dong Country posted:

I tried to get China to poo poo all over Tibet again and this time right as I approached 5000 grace they got owned by Jurchens and now I'm back to square one.

drat it, game, let me turbofuck Tibet already.

E: Well, I officially hate Tibet. I finally managed to have them shattered by the new Jurchens. Awesome! So I launched an invasion of Kroran. Every single Buddhist in Tibet rallied against me. This isn't too big a deal. It was kind of troublesome to keep smacking their armies down but it wasn't a big deal. Well Kroran got desperate and settled a conquering host in his land, bringing his 6,000 troops with him. Well gently caress me. To make matters worse this dude's 6k event troops are reinforcing. How the hell is that possible? The only good news is I managed to marry in with some nomads and convinced the Khazarians to step in with nearly 5k angry horsemen so maybe I can turn this shitshow around. This war's been raging for ten years now.

E2: Son of a bitch, Kroran's somehow brought in the Kozelid nomads on their side. That's 4k in hordes. I don't get this poo poo man. Dulan just entered the war against me with 12k troops. They're a Buddhist duchy, how in the hell did they conjure up 12k event troops? I also managed to arrange marriages with every major power in the Islamic world and bring them into the war but it was too late. 15 years of constant fighting down the tubes because somehow a bunch of Buddhists were making GBS threads out incredible amounts of event troops.

I saw this and I thought of you.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Bring back the believable worlds blog.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Midnight Voyager posted:

I saw this and I thought of you.

Tibet! :argh:

For real though if anybody has a clue about how a feudal Buddhist duchy shat out 12k event troops or that other dickhead with 6k event troops that were reinforcing I'd love to hear it. I'm deeply confused about all that still.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Tibet! :argh:

For real though if anybody has a clue about how a feudal Buddhist duchy shat out 12k event troops or that other dickhead with 6k event troops that were reinforcing I'd love to hear it. I'm deeply confused about all that still.

China?

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Yeah, free Tibet or whatever

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Azhais posted:

I have this problem, but with all the adventurer raiders that pop up. It's only annoying while my dukes are poor, but it got so bad one run that I console-killed the leader of every one that appeared.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

DISCO KING posted:

Yeah, free Tibet or whatever

*with purchase of Tibet of equal or greater value

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Nah. Chinese marriage honor guards only provide a thousand troops for a duchy. This dude entered war with exactly 12k. Wasn't mercs either, listed as event troops. There isn't something about Tibetan cultures that I'm missing is there? If they were tribals I'd know it was a buncha tribal stacks, but they're feudal and Buddhism didn't have it's holy order. Plus holy orders are listed as hired troops.

I wish there was some modifier icon or something on character sheets to tell you where their magic event troops came from.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 5, 2018

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
If a landless nomad adventurer accepts an offer of settlement are their troops maybe treated as event troops?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Buschmaki posted:

If a landless nomad adventurer accepts an offer of settlement are their troops maybe treated as event troops?

I think that's what happened with the 6k stack guy because he had the adventurer trait. The 12k guy didn't. The lovely part about the former adventurer is his stack never stopped reinforcing even though he was now landed. Maybe a bug, dunno.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

No Pants posted:

I have this problem, but with all the adventurer raiders that pop up. It's only annoying while my dukes are poor, but it got so bad one run that I console-killed the leader of every one that appeared.

I don't care so much about the adventurers themselves, I just run them over with my retinue, it's just that they're all but invisible as they march unchallenged across my lands, burrow up to the surface with their "raiding enabled!" button, then disappear beneath the fields when you chase down the retreating band

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've kinda thought Crusader Kings could use a layer where it just has landless characters who have armies so they're trackable and you could play characters like most of the prominent crusaders in the first crusade. It could also add some depth to mercenary companies and give some flavor to moving your army or retinue around.

Maybe even make it possible to pull the ol' commander betrayal that was real common back in Roman times, or even leave some room for some commander to basically be the power behind the throne and be waging wars on his own like ol' Charlie Hammer. But at that point you're halfway to a new game entirely.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

back in Roman times

Hmm, that sounds like a good setting for a new game...

Orv
May 4, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've kinda thought Crusader Kings could use a layer where it just has landless characters who have armies so they're trackable and you could play characters like most of the prominent crusaders in the first crusade. It could also add some depth to mercenary companies and give some flavor to moving your army or retinue around.

Maybe even make it possible to pull the ol' commander betrayal that was real common back in Roman times, or even leave some room for some commander to basically be the power behind the throne and be waging wars on his own like ol' Charlie Hammer. But at that point you're halfway to a new game entirely.

I'd be surprised if the eventual CK3 doesn't have playable unlanded characters be it vanilla or through a DLC. It's been a long-standing request and the potential for politicking from a position where you're even more of a pawn but have ostensibly more freedom than a standard count would be really neat.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Various Meat Products posted:

Hmm, that sounds like a good setting for a new game...

Orv posted:

I'd be surprised if the eventual CK3 doesn't have playable unlanded characters be it vanilla or through a DLC. It's been a long-standing request and the potential for politicking from a position where you're even more of a pawn but have ostensibly more freedom than a standard count would be really neat.

I hope both of these things happen in future games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

I hope both of these things happen in future games.

Ahem,

• Locked thread