Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Jedit posted:

risks more exposure than our power to stand around nude in the Arctic?

Nexus is also mind over matter so it may do something fun. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I want to see what we plan to do with invisibility. Whichever one we choose, I hope Tiggum will show us the other path too.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Always bow. Or Invisibility really, but come on, WHABAWTUI. :colbert:

Reason:

Tiggum posted:

Grand Nexus: "Kai Power Word—a holy utterance which will cause physical and psychic damage to any single creature within a radius of thirty feet." Only usable when called for in the text, of course.

Given it's the newest power to be available to us, I'm guessing this is what we're going to use.

Wolf's Bane posted:

Immediately beyond the cave mouth there is a small clearing which slopes away to the jungle perimeter. You scan the border of dense foliage, and you are shocked when you detect your adversary, Wolf’s Bane, hiding among the bushes less than fifty yards away. He is armed with a bow which he has trained upon the entrance to the tunnel.

50 yards = 150 feet.

edit: I'm seriously just guessing here, but it stood out to me and Dever does have a precedent of checking to see if you did your homework.

edit 2: why the hell did I put that in spoiler tags, it's not even a spoiler. I should go to sleep.

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 5, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Are we sure that he's the evil twin? He has a bow and wishes to use it; we're the ones who are using unnatural powers.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Invisibility because a) we just bought it, and b) if he is drawing a bow and focusing on the cave mouth we could get the drop on him.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

exmachina posted:

Invisibility because we just bought it
Invisibility is a Magnakai discipline. We chose Magi-magic for this book.

Maugrim posted:

I want to see what we plan to do with invisibility. Whichever one we choose, I hope Tiggum will show us the other path too.
Sure.

Wolf's Bane posted:

You call upon all of your Kai camouflage skills to keep you hidden as you attempt to slip out of the tunnel unseen. However, your adversary has disciplines comparable to your own. He is watching the cave mouth like a hawk and your stealthy exit may not go unnoticed.

We roll: 5.

As you emerge from the cave mouth, the oppressive jungle heat hits you like a battering ram. Your Magnakai Discipline of Nexus automatically regulates your body temperature, making the heat bearable, yet even so it comes as something of a shock that any living creature can exist in this hellish environment.

Unfortunately, the shock of the jungle heat is only the first of two nasty surprises that await you. The second is a barbed arrow that whistles from out of the dense foliage and comes speeding towards your forehead!

Frantically you shout the words of the Brotherhood Spell Halt Missile and point at the onrushing arrow. The deadly shaft freezes in mid-flight, barely a few inches from the tip of your extended finger. Immediately you crouch down, and as the effects of the spell wear off, the shaft suddenly re-animates and whistles over your head to lodge itself in the tangle of vines that curtain the cave mouth.

Your eagle eyes pinpoint the place where the arrow emerged from the jungle perimeter and, when you magnify your vision, you see the face of your enemy, Wolf’s Bane, partially hidden by a tree. He laughs, his teeth showing white against the dark green of the jungle, and then he springs to his feet and disappears into the undergrowth.

Determined that you are not going to allow him to escape so easily, you break into a run and give chase.

You force your way through the dense tangle of plants and grasses and soon reach the place where Wolf’s Bane lay in wait for you. The foliage around this hiding place has been carefully arranged, which suggests to you that he must have spent some considerable time setting his ambush. Yet there is also evidence of a hasty retreat. Lying on the ground behind a tree you discover 2 Arrows and a Dagger. (If you wish to take one or more of these, remember to make the appropriate adjustments to your Action Chart.)

You use your advanced mastery of Grand Pathasmanship to find your enemy’s tracks, and then you clear a path through the dense undergrowth which covers them. You sense that he has used magic to assist his escape, for the foliage here is entangled far tighter than in neighbouring areas of this jungle. Your advanced Discipline flattens the undergrowth as you advance, as if you were being preceded by some invisible battering ram. So effective is your skill that you gain ground on your fleeing enemy.

As you pass through a copse of toa trees, you hear the sound of running water away to your left. The tracks turn in this direction and you follow them all the way to the banks of a fast-flowing watercourse. Less than fifty yards downstream there is a primitive settlement of huts that form an untidy line along the banks of the stream. You catch sight of Wolf’s Bane as he runs into this settlement and hides in the nearest hut—a mud-walled hovel with a clay-tile roof.
Shall we stop and observe the settlement for a while or keep up the chase?

Since we're not currently carrying a spare weapon I figure we'll just take that dagger automatically. We do already have 12 arrows though so we can't take any more of those.

If we'd shot an arrow:

Wolf's Bane posted:

You place an Arrow to your bowstring and draw it taut to your lips. Expertly you gauge the distance to your target and then let your Arrow fly. It arcs into the jungle and slams into the tree behind which your enemy is partly hidden, peppering his face with splinters of damp wood.

He curses you, his teeth showing white against the green of the jungle as he spits out fragments of tree bark. Then he springs from his hiding place and disappears into the undergrowth. Determined that you are not going to allow him to get away so easily, you dash out of the tunnel and give chase.

If we'd used Grand Nexus:

Wolf's Bane posted:

You take several deep breaths as you prepare to utter the Kai power-word. Focusing on your enemy’s hiding place, you expel the word—Kai!—and you see the undergrowth shimmer as the force of your exhalation ploughs through the jungle like an invisible fist.

Your target is beyond the effective range of your power-word, yet there is still sufficient energy in your attack to knock him down. However, use of this Discipline at such long range puts an unnecessary strain on your vocal chords: lose 1 ENDURANCE point.

Wolf’s Bane struggles to his feet and he curses you, his teeth showing white against the green of the jungle as he spits out a mouthful of damp soil. Then he turns and disappears into the undergrowth. Determined that you are not going to let him get away so easily, you dash out of the tunnel and give chase.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Observe the village. I bet the inhabitants are hostile and we shouldn’t blunder into them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tiggum posted:

If we'd used Grand Nexus:

I told you it was it was safer to go invisible than rely on Grand Nudity.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Observe the village.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wolf's Bane posted:

From the cover of a leafy bush you observe the primitive settlement for several minutes. (During this vigil, unless you possess the Discipline of Grand Huntmastery, you must eat a Meal or lose 3 ENDURANCE points.) But as time ticks by you become increasingly restless. The hut into which your enemy ran is a small, single-roomed hovel, yet you can detect no movement within it. Prompted by a gnawing fear that you may have allowed Wolf’s Bane to escape, you move closer to the settlement under cover of the thick jungle foliage.

Warily you approach the settlement, your keen senses absorbing every detail. The line of deserted mud huts looks innocuous, but the words of the voice of Naar still linger in your memory. This humid jungle realm lies within his domain; it is therefore reasonable to expect the inhabitants of this place to be wholly devoted to the cause of Evil.

You reach the edge of the undergrowth and pause to assess potential threats. The huts are semi-derelict, all bearing some signs of neglect and decay. The clay-tiled hovel that Wolf’s Bane entered appears to be empty, but when you focus upon its open doorway, you see what appears to be a trench cut into the earth. You magnify your vision and at once you see steps in the wall of this excavation. Your heart sinks: Wolf’s Bane has escaped underground.
Should we follow or stop and check for traps?

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I wouldn’t put it past our foe to leave a hidden surprise for us. Or maybe the people here are so evil they set traps for the fun of it.

Either way, Lets check for traps.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
He had time to escape and set traps. Better look for the traps.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

achtungnight posted:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

achtungnight posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wolf's Bane posted:

You approach the hut and crouch down beside its mud wall, close to its open door. Your senses detect no glyphs or other traps here, and there are no residues of magical energy that might betray the presence of illusions or shielding spells. However, your Kai senses do detect a strong aura of Evil lingering at the rear of the hut, close to the water’s edge.

You move around to the rear of this hovel and discover that the bank is deeply undercut where the soft earth has been eroded by the fast-flowing stream. Standing in a line in the shadow of the undercut are a dozen wooden cages, each containing a fleshless skeleton. A shiver runs down your spine as your Magnakai Discipline of Divination detects the lingering agonies of these luckless victims. They suffered cruelly at the hands of the natives of this settlement before death finally ended their torment. The shock of your discovery is unnerving: lose 1 ENDURANCE point.

You leave the stream and return to the front of the hut. Inside the open doorway you discover several fruits stacked in mounds on a mat of woven rushes. Somewhat to your surprise, your senses reveal that they are nutritious and safe to eat. (There are sufficient fruits here for 3 Meals.)

Wary of further delay, you approach the trench at the centre of the hut and descend a flight of steps that lead down to an underground tunnel. You can detect no traps, yet you have gone only a few yards along this narrow passageway when you hear the terrifying roar of a large cat. With an abruptness that takes your breath away, a huge tiger-like beast comes bounding from out of the darkness ahead. So sudden and unexpected is this creature’s attack, that you only just have time in which to unsheathe a hand weapon as it hurls itself upon you.

Rahjaz: COMBAT SKILL 48 ENDURANCE 41

This creature is immune to all forms of psychic attack, except Kai-surge and Kai-blast.
Lone Wolf (with Kai-surge): COMBAT SKILL 54 ENDURANCE 48
Rahjaz: COMBAT SKILL 48 ENDURANCE 41
Combat Ratio: 6

We roll: 5
Lone Wolf (with Kai-surge): COMBAT SKILL 54 ENDURANCE 45
Rahjaz: COMBAT SKILL 48 ENDURANCE 30

We roll: 9
Lone Wolf (with Kai-surge): COMBAT SKILL 54 ENDURANCE 44
Rahjaz: COMBAT SKILL 48 ENDURANCE 13

We roll: 3
Lone Wolf (with Kai-surge): COMBAT SKILL 54 ENDURANCE 40
Rahjaz: COMBAT SKILL 48 ENDURANCE 4

We roll: 7
Lone Wolf (with Kai-surge): COMBAT SKILL 54 ENDURANCE 39
Rahjaz: COMBAT SKILL 48 ENDURANCE 0

Wolf's Bane posted:

Your killing blow fells this feline horror, bringing it crashing nose-first to the dirt floor. The body of the beast almost blocks the passageway, forcing you to clamber over it in order to reach the other side. You are struggling across its still warm carcass when you notice a thick leather collar buckled around its throat. Affixed to the buckle is a curious Black Clasp. (If you wish to take this clasp, record it on your Action Chart as a Special Item which you carry in the pocket of your tunic.)

Curing: +1 EP (40/49).

At the end of the passage you discover another tunnel that leads off to the left. The walls and ceiling of this adjacent passageway are dripping wet, indicating that it passes directly under the stream. You stride along its narrow confines, your shoulders grazing the muddy walls as you advance up a flight of steps which lead to an archway supported by thick wooden beams. Beyond the arch lies a large subterranean chamber that is daubed and decorated with runes and evil insignia. It is a primitive temple, and it radiates an aura of Evil so vile and malicious that the thought of entering makes your skin crawl.

On the far side of this unholy place, you see a stone altar standing before a huge boulder that has been crudely chiselled to resemble a grinning human skull. An eerie green glow pulsates from the eye sockets of this great skull-rock, and a mist swirls from its open jaw. Wolf’s Bane stands before the altar, an arrogant sneer spreading slowly across his face.

‘I’d expected better sport from you, Lone Wolf,’ he chides. ‘You disappoint me … but no matter. Such easy triumph proves the worthiness of my master’s cause. I bid you farewell, Lone Wolf. A final farewell.’

And with these chilling words ringing in your ears, your enemy stretches out both of his hands and takes hold of two iron staves that protrude from the ground on either side of the skull-rock’s jaw. He jerks them out of their settings and casts them into the centre of the temple. Then, with a patronising salute, he turns and enters the open jaw, swiftly disappearing into the swirling mist.

The dull boom of an explosion somewhere in the rock above the ceiling makes your heart miss a beat. Moments later, the walls begin to shake and the floor shudders violently beneath your feet, throwing you off balance. Rock and earth cascade from the roof, and fissures tear open the ground. With fear running ice cold in your veins, you begin a desperate race to reach the mouth of the skull-rock before the entire roof collapses and you are buried alive in this doomed temple.

Curing: +1 EP (41/49).
We roll: 1 + 2 (Grand Huntmastery) + 4 (rank) = 7.

Guided by your Kai Mastery, you successfully avoid the tumbling debris until you reach the base of the skull-rock. Here you are struck by a falling boulder which clips your left shoulder and leaves you sprawled on the floor: lose 4 ENDURANCE points.

Your arm may be injured but your spirit refuses to give up. Cradling your injured arm, you stagger to your feet and hurry through the misty opening. Barely seconds later there is a tremendous explosion and the entire temple ceiling caves in.

In addition to the ENDURANCE points loss, you soon discover that you have also lost 1 Backpack Item. Delete from your Action Chart the third item you have recorded on your list of Backpack Items.

Endurance: 37/49.

The moment you enter the mouth of the skull-rock you are engulfed by a dense fog that is icy cold and impenetrable to your sight and senses. The thunderous noise of the temple’s destruction ends abruptly, as if a great door has suddenly been closed upon it. You strain your Kai skills to aid your pursuit of Wolf’s Bane but to no avail; the ivory-white fog hides everything, swamping and distorting your sense of time and direction.

You keep moving, forcing yourself onwards, even though the surface beneath your feet has become viscous and uncertain. After what seems like an eternity spent wandering through this cloudy limbo, you gradually feel the ground hardening and sense that the impenetrable fog is beginning to dissipate. Patches of grey appear in the creamy whiteness. Then the fog dissolves completely, and you find yourself standing in the middle of a rubble-strewn street, surrounded by the bleak and derelict remains of a decaying, alien city.

It is the dead of night, and a fine drizzle falls from a storm-laden sky, dampening this dreary landscape. Everywhere you look you see the hollow shells of buildings. They are heaped with mounds of broken stone, twisted rusty iron, and shattered glass. There are no trees, no blades of grass, no animals here. Everything is cold, grey, and dead.

You examine the paved surface of the street and detect your enemy’s footprints. They are fresh, and they lead you to a small courtyard flanked by two buildings: a large municipal hall and a smaller two-storey dwelling. Wolf’s Bane’s tracks end in the middle of the wet courtyard, and you sense that they have been deliberately erased. Despite your advanced hunting skills, you are unable to determine into which building your enemy has escaped.

Curing: +1 EP (38/49).
  1. Do we keep the Black Clasp?
  2. Shall we try the municipal hall or the two-storey dwelling?

As we had two empty spaces in our backpack I automatically took two of the three meals. We then lost one meal (not one of those two) when we got knocked down by a rock. :shrug:

Backpack:
  1. Rope
  2. Meal
  3. Meal
  4. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  5. Naphtha Bomb
  6. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  7. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  8. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  9. Meal
  10. Meal

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Keep clasp, enter hall.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Maugrim posted:

Keep clasp, enter hall.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Do not take clasp, enter hall.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Always Be Clasping, fool.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I thought we had a standing order to always loot bodies?
Take the clasp and enter the hall.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Keep the clasp, check out the house.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jedit posted:

Always Be Clasping, fool.

Leraika posted:

enter hall.

The_White_Crane posted:

I thought we had a standing order to always loot bodies?
We'll automatically search them, not necessarily take everything we find.

Wolf's Bane posted:

The once-grand doors of this hall no longer hang upon their hinges. They have been torn down and now lie twisted and rusted together, partially blocking the entrance. After checking to make sure that your adversary has not left any unwelcome surprises, you clamber over these ruined doors and begin a cautious exploration of the hall’s gloomy interior.

The cavernous ground floor was long ago gutted by fire. All that remains of its contents now lies buried beneath blackened timbers and twisted iron beams. Metal chains hang in festoons from the buckled roof girders, dripping icicles of rust. They sway and squeal eerily in the wind, sending shivers coursing down your spine.

You detect nothing of interest in the debris and are about to abandon your search when suddenly you hear something unexpected—a dull thump. The sound came from below the ground. Drawing upon your Magnakai hunting skills, you peer through a hole in the ruined floor and detect something large and warm-blooded. It is moving away, towards the rear of the hall’s cellar level.

Curing: +1 EP (39/49).
Do we investigate further or leave?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
investigate further

Whatever it is, I'm sure it will be more interesting than not investigating.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

nelson posted:

investigate further

Whatever it is, I'm sure it will be more interesting than not investigating.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wolf's Bane posted:

Carefully you lower yourself through the hole and drop silently to the floor of the cellar beneath. You remain crouched where you land, not daring to move a muscle until you have scoured the darkness for any potential threat to your life. You detect an area of warmth radiating from behind a stack of rotting timbers, and slowly you inch towards it, your weapon drawn in readiness to strike.

You have moved to within a few yards of the timber pile and feel confident that you have tracked down your enemy.

‘Come out, Wolf’s Bane!’ you shout. ‘Don’t hide from me like some cowardly dog!’

You sense movement and draw back your weapon in anticipation of your enemy’s imminent attack. Then a loud, inhuman, blood-curdling howl issues from behind the pile of timber, and in a terrifying moment your confidence is shattered. The enemy confronting you is not Wolf’s Bane.

You glimpse the shadowy blur of a huge, black shape rising up from behind the timbers. Fangs gleam momentarily in the gloom as it opens its cavernous maw, and then, in the blink of an eye, it leaps over the pile and falls upon you.

Kataka: COMBAT SKILL 42 ENDURANCE 40

This creature is immune to all forms of psychic attack, except Kai-surge and Kai-blast.
Lone Wolf (with Kai-surge): COMBAT SKILL 54 ENDURANCE 39
Kataka: COMBAT SKILL 42 ENDURANCE 40
Combat Ratio: 11+

We roll: 3
Lone Wolf (with Kai-surge): COMBAT SKILL 54 ENDURANCE 36
Kataka: COMBAT SKILL 42 ENDURANCE 28

We roll: 10
Lone Wolf (with Kai-surge): COMBAT SKILL 54 ENDURANCE 35
Kataka: COMBAT SKILL 42 ENDURANCE 0

Wolf's Bane posted:

As you pull yourself from under the creature’s body, your hand brushes against a collar of steel that is fixed tightly around its muscular neck. Attached to this collar is a thin disc of iron engraved with runic symbols. (If you wish to keep this Iron Disc, record it on your Action Chart as a Special Item.)

You are now anxious to leave this place in case the creature’s death-cry has alerted others of its kind. By way of an iron staircase, you leave this cellar and emerge through a trapdoor into a street adjacent to the hall.

Curing: +1 EP (36/49).

Once outside, you focus your tracking skills and attempt to pick up your enemy’s trail. You have a feeling that he may have doubled back on his tracks, and so you retrace your steps to the street where you first appeared in this alien city. As you are nearing this place, you suddenly hear the ringing metallic clang of an iron girder falling from a height. The noise echoes from an alleyway off to your right, and immediately you go to investigate.

At the end of the alley you discover a derelict warehouse. Fire has ravaged its interior, and much of the roof has caved in, but amongst the debris you can see that it once stored metal cylinders and coils of wire. You stop at the entrance and listen. Your caution is rewarded when you hear footsteps at the rear of the building. You draw your weapon and enter, using the debris for cover as you inch your way towards the back of the ruined warehouse. You are moving between cover when suddenly you see the outline of a human form silhouetted against a broken window. Instantly you know that it is not Wolf’s Bane: this figure is clad in grey, close-fitting armour and is holding a metallic spear. The realization makes you hesitate, and in that split second of indecision, the armoured figure sees you and raises its spear. A blinding flame ignites at its tip, and a beam of white-hot light comes speeding towards your chest.

Curing: +1 EP (37/49).
We roll: 6 + 3 (G. Pathsmanship) = 9.

You throw yourself to the ground and the beam of blazing white light passes within inches of your head, close enough to scorch the hood of your cloak. The moment you hit the warehouse floor you roll over and over and scramble for the nearest cover—a heavy iron chest, banded and riveted with steel. The warrior follows your swift movement and looses a second beam from his spear which slams into the iron chest with stunning force. You gasp with horror as you see the side of the chest bulging towards your face. Its thick rivets tremble and its age-blackened skin smoulders with a sullen heat. Instinct takes over, making you roll away from the iron chest and seek cover elsewhere. As you move, the beam of light tears through the rear of the iron box and destroys the ground where, only moments before, your face had been.

You call upon all of your camouflage skills to mask your body as you hurriedly seek a way to escape from this warrior and his sorcerous weapon. You reach the base of a large steel tank and scramble up a ladder fixed to its side. The top of the tank is stacked high with coiled ropes and you force yourself in amongst them. A few moments later you watch the warrior approach the smouldering remains of the iron chest. He is close enough now for you to see that his weapon is attached by a length of steel cable to a canister strapped to his back.

Curing: +1 EP (38/49).

You unshoulder your Bow and draw an Arrow from your Quiver. As you fix the notch of the Arrow to the bowstring, you cast the Old Kingdom Battle-spell Flameshaft upon its tip, keeping the last word of the spell upon your lips until you are ready to fire.

Patiently you watch the warrior kicking at the smouldering remains of the iron chest. The moment he turns away, you utter the completing word of the spell and let loose your Arrow at his back. The tip of the Arrow ignites in flight, the magical flame illuminating the gloom as it arcs towards your unwary target with deadly precision. The fiery point penetrates deep into the metal canister strapped to the warrior’s back and, in a terrifying instant, he and his sorcerous weapon are engulfed by a crackling mass of electrical energy. He screams and staggers across the floor, his limbs and torso trailing blue-white snakes of light which earth themselves to the surrounding metal debris. Then, finally, the energy that is contained within the canister is expended. Released from his torment, he loses his balance and falls heavily to the floor.

You shoulder your Bow and move to descend from the top of the storage tank, but you freeze when you see a second warrior running to where the first has fallen. As he passes beneath the tank, you leap onto his back and bring him crashing to the ground. To your shocked surprise you discover that he is an exceptionally strong opponent. He draws power from the armour he wears, and he uses it to break your grip. In desperation you utter the words of the Old Kingdom Spell Energy Grasp and use it to discharge a powerful pulse of energy into the fabric of his armour. The effect is devastating. His armour disintegrates, crushing him to death as it crumples and compresses his body.

Curing: +1 EP (39/49).

Cautiously you approach the slain warriors. You are eager to examine their strange armour, and you are particularly curious about the light-emitting spears they wielded; weapons such as these could prove useful in your fight against Wolf’s Bane. However, on examining these steely shafts you discover that they are now useless. The source of their power was contained in the canisters strapped to the warriors’ backs, a power that is now depleted.

When you prise open a helmet and breastplate, you discover a thin, pale-skinned humanoid within. His bone structure and muscularity is surprisingly weak for a warrior, prompting you to suspect that he must have relied heavily on his power-fed armour for strength and protection. This sallow-faced soldier has a lean and brutal appearance, a look which resembles that of an emaciated Drakkar.

After having satisfied yourself that there is nothing worth salvaging from the bodies of these two slain enemies, you make a cursory check of your own equipment. You are hungry, and unless you possess the Discipline of Grand Huntmastery, you must now eat a Meal or lose 3 ENDURANCE points. Having satisfied your curiosity and your appetite, you hurry out of this derelict warehouse by a rear door and continue your hunt for Wolf’s Bane’s trail.

Curing: +1 EP (40/49).

The rear of the warehouse opens onto a wasteland of shattered rubble which is bisected by a dead stream of salty, acidic water. You trudge across this bleak and forbidding landscape, past sharp spires of crimson and jet that erupt through the dereliction to scratch the cloudy sky. Rust-red water encircles their bases, lending them a wholly sinister aspect. To your eyes it seems as if this blighted city has been impaled upon these cruel, towering spikes.

Beyond the spires you discover a paved street almost clear of debris. You find several sets of footprints here, and your hopes are raised when you determine that one set belongs to Wolf’s Bane. You follow them to a gutted building, several storeys high, which is adorned with strangely angular gargoyles. The inside of this crumbling edifice is completely empty and your adversary’s trail passes through it to a rear exit. As you emerge on the far side, you catch your first breathtaking glimpse of this grim city’s tallest structure.

Curing: +1 EP (41/49).

Before you stands a great tower of gleaming black stone which rises from the depths of a fathomless moat and soars to within a hundred feet of the stormy grey clouds. Its pitted surface bristles with metal discs and antennae, streaked with rust, yet there are few windows and you can see but one portal.

You magnify your vision and note that your adversary’s tracks lead to a traffic-worn area on this side of the moat, directly opposite the portal. You watch this area for several minutes, and then you see two armour-clad warriors emerge from the ruins and approach it. Suddenly a semi-transparent drawbridge extends from beneath the portal. It resembles a flattened beam of solid, green-grey light, and this beam bridges the moat and provides the two warriors with the means to reach the open tower door.

You scan the great tower with your senses, and you feel sure that your opponent is lurking somewhere within. Powerless to reach him, you can only stand and watch the two warriors as they cross the moat and disappear into the portal, which slides shut behind them. At first glance this stronghold looks to be impregnable, but you have gained access to far tougher fortresses in the past, and you refuse to allow your spirits to be dampened by the daunting task of finding a way into this one.

Curing: +1 EP (42/49).

For two hours you observe the tower. During this time you sense that an invisible field of energy surrounds the wall, a defence that complements the terrifyingly deep moat. This force field disappears only when the portal opens and the drawbridge extends to allow for the arrival or departure of armoured warriors, or strange horseless wagons that hover a few feet from the ground, but in the main the great door remains firmly closed.

You notice that the sparse traffic of warriors and wagons passes along one avenue. It is the only thoroughfare approaching the tower which has been cleared of debris. It is an uncomfortable vigil, but the time you spend observing the tower is rewarded when a bold plan gradually takes form in your mind.

You assess that an entry to the tower could be effected by two means: if you were able to ambush a warrior and use his armour as a disguise, or, if you were able to stow away aboard one of the wagons approaching the moat.

Curing: +1 EP (43/49).
  1. Do we keep the Iron Disc?
  2. Do we want to attack a warrior or hide in a wagon?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Nice action, let’s get some more! Keep the disc and attack!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Keep HELLO MY NAME IS SCRAPS IF FOUND PLEASE CALL NAAR ON 666-6666 and hide in a wagon.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Runcible Cat posted:

Keep HELLO MY NAME IS SCRAPS IF FOUND PLEASE CALL NAAR ON 666-6666 and hide in a wagon.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

achtungnight posted:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

achtungnight posted:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Runcible Cat posted:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

achtungnight posted:

Wolf's Bane posted:

As you fix the notch of the Arrow to the bowstring, you cast the Old Kingdom Battle-spell Flameshaft upon its tip, keeping the last word of the spell upon your lips until you are ready to fire.
[...]
In desperation you utter the words of the Old Kingdom Spell Energy Grasp and use it to discharge a powerful pulse of energy into the fabric of his armour.

Sorry, "Old Kingdom Battle-Spell"? When the gently caress did we learn this stuff? :psyduck:

... I went back and checked after typing this, and I see it's from the "Magi-Magic" skill, which I don't think has ever previously been referred to as "Old Kingdom" magic.
Also, I'm pretty sure we've never used either of those spells before. (Edit: Because we only learned Magi-Magic this book, duh.) I assume those sections are only accessible after passing a check for having that skill?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The_White_Crane posted:

Sorry, "Old Kingdom Battle-Spell"? When the gently caress did we learn this stuff? :psyduck:

... I went back and checked after typing this, and I see it's from the "Magi-Magic" skill, which I don't think has ever previously been referred to as "Old Kingdom" magic.
Also, I'm pretty sure we've never used either of those spells before. (Edit: Because we only learned Magi-Magic this book, duh.) I assume those sections are only accessible after passing a check for having that skill?
Yes, when you use their spells, the Vakeros (warriors of Desi) spells are constantly referred as using spell learned from Elder Magi (beings from the "old kingdom" aka central magnamund before it went the way of Yugoslavia after the ceners druids went full PLAGUE on everyone).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Comstar posted:

hide in a wagon

The_White_Crane posted:

I assume those sections are only accessible after passing a check for having that skill?
Yep. And it wasn't a a choice, if you have a bow and Magi-magic then you use them automatically.

Wolf's Bane posted:

You make your way towards the avenue and take cover in a darkened alleyway, an ideal place from which to observe the passing traffic. Thirty minutes elapse before a hover-wagon glides into view at the city end of the avenue. It is bound for the tower, but you note that its cargo compartment is completely sealed and so you decide to let it pass and wait for a more suitable target. Fortunately, you do not have to wait too long. Within the space of a few minutes another appears. This one, like the first, has no driver, but its cargo bay is open to the elements. As you wait for it to get closer, you judge its speed and prepare yourself to leap aboard as it passes. It is less heavily laden than the first wagon and is moving much quicker; leaping aboard this speeding wagon is not going to be easy.

Curing: +1 EP (44/49).
We roll: 7 + 3 (G. Pathsmanship) = 10.

You race towards the hover-wagon and, as it sweeps by, you hurl yourself towards its open cargo bay. You hit the side of the vehicle with numbing force (lose 2 ENDURANCE points), but you manage to keep your grip and haul yourself aboard.

By the time the wagon reaches the windswept moat, you have concealed yourself in amongst its cargo of steel cylinders and bales of wire. You hear the distant clang of a bell and, from your hiding place, you are able to watch as the drawbridge extends from beneath the portal to span the deep chasm. Swiftly the wagon passes across the semi-transparent bridge and glides through the tower’s open portal unchallenged.

Endurance: 42/49.

You hear the great portal closing behind the hover-wagon. It makes surprisingly little noise for such a huge expanse of iron, barely a serpent-like hiss as it seals out the stormy city wind. You stay hidden until the wagon comes to a halt and then you venture a glance over the side of its cargo bay to assess the situation.

Before your eyes there stretches a cavernous plaza, crafted entirely of steel, glass, silver, and iron. Towering girders arc over your head, buttressed upon each other to support the many upper levels of this stupendous edifice. The plaza is vast and alien in design, and it is virtually deserted. You count no more than six armoured warriors, some so far distant that you have to magnify your vision to be sure that they are what they seem.

The arrival of the wagon attracts no attention. The driverless craft has docked of its own accord at a steel jetty that encircles an iron support pillar. The coast is clear and so you waste no time in attempting to locate your adversary’s trail. As expected, you find traces of his tracks close to the portal. They lead you to an archway which opens into a steel-lined chamber that has two exits: one to the left, the other to the right. Here the tracks become indistinct; you are unable to determine which way Wolf’s Bane went from here.

Curing: +1 EP (43/49).
It's the return of everyone's favourite options, left or right?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
:goleft:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
He’s our evil twin. He probably went right.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

achtungnight posted:

heh

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

achtungnight posted:

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

achtungnight posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wolf's Bane may go right, but Lone Wolf would never!

Wolf's Bane posted:

This exit leads to an echoing tunnel constructed from sheeted steel. Its walls and ceiling are lined with iron pipes and braided copper cables for most of its length. You follow this passage for several hundred yards before arriving at another which crosses it from left to right.

Curing: +1 EP (44/49).

Your advanced Telegnosis reveals to you that a hoard of precious platinum is stored in a chamber at the end of the left corridor.

Curing: +1 EP (45/49).
Left or right?