Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did VG Close the Poll?
This poll is closed.
Yes 1 100.00%
No 0 0%
Total: 1 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Apparently they do not defend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Error: bots not programmed to defend highground

QoP actively bought back and then blinked out of the base mid to push creeps

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It looks like they defend by split pushing

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Bots would have won ti4 and ti7

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It will be interesting to see how the bots do when they get full micro and can rat like right fuckers.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yes Purge, that was a rage buyback from the AI.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/syndereNDota/status/1026247215386378242

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Very impressive showing from OpenAI. They clearly understand how to play the earlygame, presumably because most of their games are short. But it's clear that they have no idea how to play from behind, expecting to be able to go for aggressive ganks and push plays. Still, huge advancement from OpenAI, I'm excited to see how much better they can make it.

When you think that 1 year ago it could only play 1 hero, in one position, with huge restrictions on items and game rules. I expect it'll be able to beat most pro teams with a really wide hero pool by this time next year.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm just following the thread from a baseball game but :lol:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Im Sick Of OpenAI Being Immune From Punishment, They Just Ran Down Mid Again ON STREAM And They Didn't Get Low Prio!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

it'd be cool if the TI7 champs face open AI instead of 5 random pros. alternatively Fnatic should play them

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

It's interesting that the bots really didn't know how to properly play Slark or Sven but they were almost there. Wonder if more games would solve that or does the AI need to learn it from humans or something.

An algorithm that could learn from not only its own games but also from the millions of games already played would seem to be optimal.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

goatface posted:

Yes Purge, that was a rage buyback from the AI.

Are you serious?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No, and I'm fairly sure he wasn't either.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

goatface posted:

No, and I'm fairly sure he wasn't either.

Yes no kidding.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Kild posted:

it'd be cool if the TI7 champs face open AI instead of 5 random pros. alternatively Fnatic should play them

I don't think being unpredictable would really effect this iteration of the bots at all because their gameplan is pretty much the same every time - pick the same heroes every game, win lanes, deathball mid. You can't pull a PLD and camp the courier mid, trying to splitpush against them wouldn't make them back off, there's no NP to make unpredictable rotations on them, there's not even a ton of great anti-deathball heroes like Veno or Warlock who I think would annihilate the bots.

The limited hero pool with no bans and unkillable couriers basically guarantee that the one strategy the bots know, they're able to reliably do every single time and there's very little anyone could do to disrupt it. You saw that even not being able to get the heroes the bots were used to put them at a 98% loss chance before the game even started. There's only sixteen heroes in the pool and the bot had no idea what to do on a couple of them. Like I said above, I think the limited hero pool favored the bots also - I think if you give the humans either Veno, Warlock, or Bloodseeker they could have beaten the bots.

This was a cool demo, but I think the AI has SIGNIFICANTLY longer way to go before they're able to contend with actual teams in a real tournament gamemode than people are claiming.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Really it just proves how broken Gyro was. The bot learned "Draft Gyro, last hit, five-man"

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah their gameplan is win the lanes as relatively hard as possible then group up and death ball with all the regen they ferry out.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

according to a reply it's actually 180 years per day.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

They probably have a simulation running with no restrictions already, but they probably don't feel that it's ready. (And I'm sure they talked about it in the Q&A but I didn't watch it). The bots exploited the mechanics perfectly but it didn't always feel like DotA. You aren't going to win normal DotA getting a Null first with zero regen because you can't rely on a personal courier.

Btw if anyone wants a good tutorial/intro example to machine learning I always liked this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv6UVOQ0F44

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

schmitty9800 posted:

You aren't going to win normal DotA getting a Null first with zero regen because you can't rely on a personal courier.

Yeah I was hoping this was going to be another thing like the 1v1 OpenAI situation where it was something people could learn from. The double mango strategy that people adopted happened because of how powerful the AI showed it was, but there wasn't a ton here that people could take into their games. Shipping regen with a personal courier is already how you win Turbo mode.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Seems like the bots effective hero pool isn't actually 18 heroes.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah there's a reason they didn't up the pool to 22 so you could do a standard Captain's Draft with 12 bans. I think if you gave the humans 3 bans at the beginning of the draft and they banned Gyro/CM/Lion the bots would be hosed

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Seems like the bots effective hero pool isn't actually 18 heroes.

Seems like the allowable heroes list is based on the following inputs:
-The ~10 heroes that AI can win with
-Whatever heroes said AI hero pool counters
-Any heroes that don't counter AI hero pool

While I am impressed that OpenAI can win with the given parameters, it seems really telling that illusion and one killable courier per team is enough to significantly nerd the current build.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's really stupid you can use 1 report to report for all 3 categories and actually have it count for all 3 categories.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

quote:

<ambivalent> also I think moonmeander was trying to put on a bit of a show but just died to the bots a bunch
<Razeam> weak to tripping over machines

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

[8:26pm] <craigk> "yeah [the ai bots] destroyed even capatalist, merlina, fogged, moonmeander"
[8:26pm] <craigk> well i mean not the first time machinery has tripped up moonmeander

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I think the games would be more interesting/more useful for learning for the bots if instead of personal invuln couriers they just had no couriers. As it is, they've just hyper-refined the deathball with regen strat and it's not very representative of 'real' matches.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I wonder what happens if they put two of mid-bot and three 5-bots in a game.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Did that Xyclopz situation get resolved? BTS has him casting right now and I wonder if Valve cares.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

he lost his artifact access and probably won't get access to all those other games valve is developing.

xyclopz rules because he just plays whatever music he wants instead of the royalty free stuff BTS usually have on intermission

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he’s bad at his job tho.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
yeah this thread exists in a weird parallel universe where xyclopz isnt horrendous

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

huh

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/wykrhm/status/1026846803386224643

:sigh:

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Rubick or void please

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005