Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Mr.Radar posted:

This is slightly out of left field: AMD Creates Quad Core Zen SoC with 24 Vega CUs for Chinese Consoles. It features SMT and uses GDDR5 memory like the PS4 and Xbox One X.

That'd make for a pretty fantastic 1080p gaming PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

SwissCM posted:

That'd make for a pretty fantastic 1080p gaming PC.

I bet that is exactly what the Chinese company also figured.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Mr.Radar posted:

This is slightly out of left field: AMD Creates Quad Core Zen SoC with 24 Vega CUs for Chinese Consoles. It features SMT and uses GDDR5 memory like the PS4 and Xbox One X.

Apparently that's the Fenghuang one that showed up earlier:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-fenghuang-ryzen-vega-soc,37551.html

I thought that one was supposed to have HBM memory?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Maybe it has both HBM and GDDR memory controllers? Might make sense for a product that sits in the middle of the range like that.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Details on Threadripper 2 are out. 4-die parts will be called the "WX".

The 16C 2-die 2950X has an extra 100mhz base clock and 400mhz more on boost over the 1950X, and is launching $100 less than it did at $899. Honestly, with the firesale 1950X prices goin' round, the 1950 is probably a better deal atm.

The full 32C 4-die 2990WX has a 3ghz base and is $1800 (ouch) with a 250w TDP supposedly. That part will put up some truly beastly benchmark scores though I bet.

https://videocardz.com/77031/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2990wx-2970wx-2950x-and-2920x-specs-and-pricing-leaked

Cygni fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 3, 2018

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Boost clock ain't all-core on Ryzen, right?

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Boost clock ain't all-core on Ryzen, right?

They ain't on Intel either.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, I don't know, all this turbo, boost and XFR stuff is getting confusing.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Cygni posted:

The full 32C 4-die 2990WX has a 3ghz base and is $1800 (ouch)

Ouch? $1800 for a 32 core, 64 thread CPU with high clocks?
That's extremely cheap if you compare it to Intel's offerings, which only seems fair.
To even get up to the largest Intel sells (28 core, 56 thread) you're talking around $10,000, and the clock speeds don't even compare to AMD's.

Even if you compare it to Epyc, it offers killer value. You've basically halved the price, and bumped the clocks significantly.

I'm liking the look of the 2950X personally, keeping the heat and power in check, whilst offering the highest clock speeds; but for someone who can make use of all 32 cores, the 2990WX is a bargain.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 4, 2018

eames
May 9, 2009

Asus is offering a VRM cooling kit (40mm fan + backet) for "optimal overclocking performance" on their older X399 boards

https://www.computerbase.de/2018-08/x399-mainboards-asus-cooling-kit-threadripper-2000/

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

yes, ouch. $1800 for a consumer CPU is an ouch, regardless of anything else. the upside is that the threadripper tax is the same between the 2-die and 4-die parts at 27% over the 2700X, but the 4-die parts have the goofy memory access.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I hope I can talk my boss into buying a 2990 for the renderbox we really need at work, that's absolutely hilarious value.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Truga posted:

I hope I can talk my boss into buying a 2990 for the renderbox we really need at work, that's absolutely hilarious value.

Exactly.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I mean, it's going to be very lovely for a lot of workloads because of the bad ram channel situation, but for encoding poo poo it's just about perfect.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
How so? There does seem to be a slight penalty for only two dies having direct memory access but based on debaeurs own benches it's a near linear clock deficit compared to Intel's ridiculous 28C/56T 5Ghz "demo". How many things do you do are that system memory latency sensitive, honest question not trying to be a bitch here.

Interesting that the 2950X creeps up to 4.4Ghz, remember how after about 6-8 months after the initial release of Ryzen a lot more first gens started to hit 4.1 and 4.2Ghz? Wonder if the same will happen here and 4.4 or 4.5Ghz isn't impossible by Q4 (without adjusting BCLK).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Almost everything ever is memory latency sensitive. :confused:

Unless your use case is running cinebench, you'll see a noticeable hit going from 2x2950 to 1x2990.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Truga posted:

Maybe, maybe not. Based on the pretend-TR2 stuff from Der8auer, using an EPYC as stand-in, the Cinebench score changes from ~5200cb using 8 memory channels to ~3800cb capping it to 4 channels. Would probably be more interesting to go with two 2950X boxes, because all dies have memory and the inter-die link is double width.

If the rumors of 6/8-core CCXes for Zen 2 are true, a two-die Threadripper based on that would be more interesting probably.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Truga posted:

Almost everything ever is memory latency sensitive. :confused:

Unless your use case is running cinebench, you'll see a noticeable hit going from 2x2950 to 1x2990.

Cinebench seems to have issues with memory sensitivity too. Debauer did a full video on it that I linked maybe a page back, there are penalties depending on channel configuration but it seems using a similar channel configuration as the original Threadripper has only a small penalty at all (6099 to 5750, or about 6%)

Combat Pretzel posted:

Maybe, maybe not. Based on the pretend-TR2 stuff from Der8auer, using an EPYC as stand-in, the Cinebench score changes from ~5200cb using 8 memory channels to ~3800cb capping it to 4 channels. Would probably be more interesting to go with two 2950X boxes, because all dies have memory and the inter-die link is double width.

If the rumors of 6/8-core CCXes for Zen 2 are true, a two-die Threadripper based on that would be more interesting probably.

I just posted that video. It's 3800 if you use one channel per die, if you configure it as Threadripper Gen1 did (which is die 1 and 4 using both channels), it's a 6% penalty.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah definitely, but I need that machine 6 months ago, so... :v:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

EmpyreanFlux posted:

I just posted that video. It's 3800 if you use one channel per die, if you configure it as Threadripper Gen1 did (which is die 1 and 4 using both channels), it's a 6% penalty.
Should have watched it to the end I guess. 6% seems OKish.

--edit: Oh, there's a second video.
--edit: poo poo, I discarded the idea of the 24C. Hope it doesn't test great in the other departments, because my wallet ;_;

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 4, 2018

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Ostensibly a Geekbench of the 2950X:

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/9280873

Too bad it doesn't tell the actual frequency it ran at, to compare it better with other things.

--edit:
What I don't get is why the TR (and I guess Ryzen) have those deficits in things like Lua, HTML Parsing and PDF Rendering, when compared to Intels on a similar level. Like what the gently caress.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 4, 2018

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Meh, usually it's synthetic anyway.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ostensibly a Geekbench of the 2950X:

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/9280873

Too bad it doesn't tell the actual frequency it ran at, to compare it better with other things.

--edit:
What I don't get is why the TR (and I guess Ryzen) have those deficits in things like Lua, HTML Parsing and PDF Rendering, when compared to Intels on a similar level. Like what the gently caress.

I'm thinking compiler / software optimisation.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
drat, I kind of wish I had one of those old Anandtech-y tier lists comparing the current lineup against that leaked Intel roadmap right now.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/Cat_Merc/status/1026191903052767232?s=19

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Microcenter is offering the 1800X for $199. My i5-3570k is starting to feel a little dated and it would be nice to get back on the AMD train. Any reason why I should get the i5 8600k that's just 20 bucks more?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Microcenter is offering the 1800X for $199. My i5-3570k is starting to feel a little dated and it would be nice to get back on the AMD train. Any reason why I should get the i5 8600k that's just 20 bucks more?

If single thread performance is incredibly much more important to you than anything else, then the 8600K might be the right choice, but other than that, no. 8 cores/16 threads for $199 is a goddamned steal. Go for it, IMO.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

3570k, provided it's overclocked to mid 4GHz, has identical performance to an 1800x/2600x in 1-4 core applications. That's the argument against the upgrade.

The argument for the 8700k/8600k is you get up to 30% faster 1-x core performance where x is whatever number of cores/threads the processor has. To do this you probably want to delid and will need a decent heatsink and will want to overclock. If you don't want to do those things, you're really comparing a 2600x/2700x to the 1800x and the 2600x/2700x overclock themselves for you with no configuration.

Argument for the 1800x is it's real good at heavily multithreaded stuff and if you get a decent motherboard you can drop in a new AMD CPU next year and get near identical single core performance to an 8600k/8700k (hopefully). $190 for an 1800x isn't quite as cheap as it seems because it doesn't come with a CPU cooler, so add ~$30-$60 to the price and then compare it to the 2600x and 2700x price. Although a decent aftermarket cooler will out perform what comes with the 2600x/2700x. None of the intel CPUs come with cooling, either.

The current market is frustrating to be a buyer in, in my opinion. I'm personally holding off for next year, but sub $200 1800x is really tempting because it should be pretty easy to use it as a home server/workstation CPU in the future.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 6, 2018

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Micro Center has the 2600 for $160 and the 2600x for $190, is the step up worth the $30 or is this like a candy bar in the checkout line?

EDIT:VVVVVVV Eh just seems like I may as well get a second gen over 2 extra cores

ArgaWarga fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 6, 2018

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It seems silly to me to buy a 6 core when there's 8 cores but if you're going 6 core might as well get the one that goes to 11.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ArgaWarga posted:

Micro Center has the 2600 for $160 and the 2600x for $190, is the step up worth the $30 or is this like a candy bar in the checkout line?

2600 and the $30 for a CM hyper 212 evo is definitely better than the 2600X with the cooler that comes in the box

Neobdragon
Jun 30, 2013

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

I just upgraded from a overclocked 3570k to a (not yet overclocked) 2700, mainly because my regular multi-tasking setup was maxing my 3570k at 100% cpu usage the whole time and causing some applications to stutter.

Post-upgrade I'm sitting just under 40% with the same workload. The upgrade to DDR4 ram was pretty painful for my wallet :D

The extra cores really help when you're running many smaller applications like I do and they can be distributed properly.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The Threadripper embargo is "unboxing only" to drive pre-orders for a August 13th release. So even though people have them in hand, they aren't allowed to post numbers before retail availability. Trash, AMD.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13123/amd-threadripper-2-teaser-pre-orders-start-today-up-to-32-cores

Also lol that cooler:

eames
May 9, 2009

Considering these CPUs are so close to Epyc I don't think there's much room for surprises.

Multithreaded performance will be unbeatable value for money, single thread performance will be mediocre/acceptable, memory latencies will be horrific. The people who have a use case for all these cores (or buy the CPU for bragging rights) probably already made up their minds. I like what AMD is doing for the market but personally wouldn't trade my 8700K for a Threadripper with 256 cores at 4 GHz. :shrug:

Poor reviewers though, they're are basically going to review a spaceheater during the ongoing heatwave in Europe where A/C isn't nearly as popular yet. :v:

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Unboxing embargos are dumb.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Cygni posted:

Also lol that cooler:

Noctua NH-D15 does this as well, the NH-D15S was designed to avoid the problem.
Not to defend AMD or Cooler Master as such, but in any case, enormous air coolers blocking the first slot is nothing new.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The price changes and speed tweaks really make a couple compelling options though. The 2950x is 100$ cheaper than the i9-7900x, has 6 more cores, has faster base and turbo speeds (3.5/4.4 vs 3.3/4.3), far more cache, faster RAM support, and more PCIe lanes.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I want to see that that 4.4 turbo on the 2950x as a preview for the minimum acceptable clocks on 7nm.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Seamonster posted:

I want to see that that 4.4 turbo on the 2950x as a preview for the minimum acceptable clocks on 7nm.

Is that even XFR turbo? It could be that XFR turbo is even higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

XFR 2 has no effect on peak single-core speeds; what they're quoting is what you get. XFR 2 is more about boosting sustained performance in multi-threaded workloads when you have high-quality cooling on the chip and/or favorable ambient temperatures.