Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ShaneB posted:

I'm getting a bunch of cheap legacy cards to play it because it looks rad. Can borrow the expensive stuff.

Black Gold has 15-proxy Legacy on Sundays :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

That g3 in the legacy match was pretty sweet. Death and Taxes beating triple Dread of Night is pretty incredible.

I've beaten 2 against storm before with Revokers and Pia and Kiran Nalaar but that card is so stupid.

Edit: It's actually the 2nd biggest reason I stopped playing legacy. Turns out playing against a 1 mana enchantment that ends the game at any point when its cast 4-5 times a week isn't actually fun.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 5, 2018

Hella Paunchy
Jul 25, 2007
More fun than a stick in the eye.
I sold a burrito to Kai Budde this morning, pretty surreal.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just had an opponent on Arena try to cast Run Amok defensively on their blocking creature two turns in a row. I don't know if they ever figured out why it was backfiring horribly.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
This pro tour was great to watch, loved seeing mostly 2 good formats for a substantial % of the time the stream was on. I also watched some legacy with someone who had never heard of defined constructed formats but loves playing extremely low powered kitchen table magic, and he was loving it.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Entropic posted:

I just had an opponent on Arena try to cast Run Amok defensively on their blocking creature two turns in a row. I don't know if they ever figured out why it was backfiring horribly.

I had an opponent cast three trumpet blasts in the first main phase, over the course of two turns. It was making the enigma drakes bigger....

Also, does anyone feel like there is deck strength matching in draft? I don't think there should be, but it seems like my absurd drafts get matched against other absurd decks (my Lyra, Belzenlock, Josu, 2x Whisper + Urza's Ruinous blast lost to turn 4 Karn into multani + Shanna). I played that game at a 1-1 record. On the other hand, I just went 7-2 with a pile of mediocre cards, facing nothing but other mediocre piles of cards.

TacoNight fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 6, 2018

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

TacoNight posted:

I had an opponent cast three trumpet blasts in the first main phase, over the course of two turns. It was making the enigma drakes bigger....

Also, does anyone feel like there is deck strength matching in draft? I don't think there should be, but it seems like my absurd drafts get matched against other absurd decks (my Lyra, Belzenlock, Josu, 2x Whisper + Urza's Ruinous blast lost to turn 4 Karn into multani + Shanna). I played that game at a 1-1 record. On the other hand, I just went 7-2 with a pile of mediocre cards, facing nothing but other mediocre piles of cards.

If I remember correctly you get matched up with people that have a similar record as you in that specific draft. So if you have a 6-0 record it tries to match you up with another deck with a 6-0.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Watching the videos of the Pro Tour Semifinals - Legacy and Modern both finish within an hour of coverage starting, and I think that including time they spent waiting for the cameras to move between tables.

All that's left is a UW Teferi vs UW Gift in Standard, who are in the middle of game two. The video is less than halfway finished.

Teferi is such a sweet card but :shepicide:

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Mikujin posted:

That's likely due to him being an inexperienced pilot. It was very much the same with Eggs. Experienced pilots could churn through the combo with relative ease and speed (it could still go long), but inexperienced pilots were painstakingly slow and particular and made it take forever. I played the poo poo out of eggs, and could go off pretty quick, though a couple pals couldn't pilot it quite so well.

Unfortunately, until they implement a chess-clock style of round-time management, there's no way to punish players who use more of the round time via long drawn out combos outside of bans. Heck, even slow play isn't penalized nearly as much as it should be.

Isn't that how it works in MTGO? I seem to recall the 45 minute round timer only ticking for the player with priority or whatever.

Regardless of the pilot's experience, it's horseshit that someone can come in with a deck that effectively prevents the other player from even playing the game. It may just be because I'm new to Modern (and playing Skred because gently caress paying for a modern manabase), but I think KCI is miserable to play against, time-consuming, and adds nothing of value to the format. I'm not a fan of blue-based control decks too, but at least you get the chance to try and play cards around their counters. With KCI, I might as well have not shown up for the round.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Jedi425 posted:

horseshit that someone can come in with a deck that effectively prevents the the other player from even playing the game

and playing Skred

lol

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The only moral prison deck is my prison deck.

EDIT: KCI isn't even a prison deck, though - it's just an ordinary solitaire-playing combo deck that lets you do your thing and hopes that it can do its thing faster. The problem is that its turns take too loving long.

(there are some other problems, but those are more subject to opinion. I don't think anyone will defend the fact that the deck can routinely spend 10 minutes trying to go off before passing the turn and dying.)

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 6, 2018

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Yeah, yeah, I know. Irony abounds. But at least Skred doesn't take 15 minute turns. :v:

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Arena 5-0 lists don't get posted, do they?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
having seen every Johnny and Spike at my LGS go through a KCl phase I can safely say that the deck should be neutered with extreme prejudice just on the basis that it's boring as gently caress and has robbed folks of what add up to literal days of life

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Arena 5-0 lists don't get posted, do they?

Of course not. If there wasn't historical precedent, they probably wouldn't post any MTGO lists either.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Autism Sneaks posted:

having seen every Johnny and Spike at my LGS go through a KCl phase I can safely say that the deck should be neutered with extreme prejudice just on the basis that it's boring as gently caress and has robbed folks of what add up to literal days of life

The best part of KCI being such a hard deck to play is that you know a good pilot of it has spent dozens of man-hours learning how to be the absolute worst kind of human being, so when people bring up the argument that targeted bannings hurt invested players, this time you can just mutter 'good' and nod your head.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Banning decks because you don't like the playstyle isn't okay.

Or if it is, let me know and I'll start writing my diatribe on how midrange sucks.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

mehall posted:

:emptyquote:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mehall posted:

Or if it is, let me know and I'll start writing my diatribe on how midrange sucks.

Unironically ban midrange. Make it the sad joke it used to be.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
my playstyle is "winning", and every ban is violence against me

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

suicidesteve posted:

Unironically ban midrange. Make it the sad joke it used to be.

Midrange can be insanely fun though and isn't necessarily unfair. All archetypes can have annoying decks

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Jedi425 posted:

Yeah, yeah, I know. Irony abounds. But at least Skred doesn't take 15 minute turns. :v:

but if it did you would still be playing it :o)

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Is there a way to fix KCI by modifying the wording around mana abilities and how they interact with the stack? That feels like the best option if it's at all viable but I'm not enough of a rules technician to figure it out fully.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Sure, just get rid of being able to activate mana abilities in the middle of something being cast or resolving, make people produce their mana beforehand. Paper can handle it just fine now that we have out-of-order sequencing and people aren't going to get DQd for putting a spell on the table before tapping their lands, and as a bonus it closes all sorts of other stupid loopholes with mana abilities.

The only casualty is digital magic, where you need to come up with some way to handle the UX of stuff like Mana Leak that isn't "haha, you didn't tap your lands in time so you don't get a choice!". (That said, it handled having both Deathrite Shaman and Daze in the same format for so long, maybe you can just teach people how to do it?)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Why are we mad at KCI suddenly? The deck is fine.

If any deck should be beaten down its hollow one. That's some stupid game play. Really it's just burning inquiry that should go.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 6, 2018

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

mehall posted:

totally agree, KCI is not a problem that needs fixing

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

maybe they should just ban all the blocks except for the most recent ones, and rotate out the older blocks as you get new ones to stop combos like KCI

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Can't they just fix the silly loophole that allows you to put a million triggers on stack at the same time by adding a little sub-paragraph somewhere in the rules? I'm pretty sure that was never an intended interaction in the first place.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Just make a Flusterstifle or something that will counter infinite abilities on the stack or something.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Nexus of fate is 40 bucks this morning. How high is this bad boy going to go?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Please stop killing every combo deck for no reason

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

midrange deck design is quite boring

"look at me I'm playing all the good cards!"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It's kind of infuriating how maro's response so far has just been waffling about power levels and how it'll be fine once Play Design makes sure no more broken ones get released.

Christ, if they're intentionally bad then what is even the point of BaB promos? And if they're actually playable then you get a Nexus of Fate situation. Both of those scenarios seem bad. They really need to go back to the BaB promo just being a some random rare from the set, ASAP.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Please stop killing every combo deck for no reason

It's not no reason if it significantly delays tournaments. It's not viable to have a deck that can legitimately take 15 minute turns with nothing that could be called slow play if you're trying to fit 8+ rounds of magic into one day. If those each go an extra 10 minutes (assuming they're already going to go a few minutes over, they always do), that's an easy hour and a half being added to a marathon of a day.

While I hate decks like these that do nothing but play solitaire, the reason it needs a ban is entirely practical. It's just a bonus that those of us who don't like watching people masturbate for 15 minutes only to go limp at the end before they can get there would be saved from having to F6 IRL.

Double bonus that this particular version only exists thanks to a loophole in the rules, so really shouldn't exist at all as the rules were intended.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Just concede any match when you realize you're playing the Fog deck....that'll show em

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Just loving print Force of Will into Modern already because we have enough evidence that this poo poo is going to happen again and again as long as they keep injecting more cards into the format

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

BaronVonVaderham posted:

It's not no reason if it significantly delays tournaments. It's not viable to have a deck that can legitimately take 15 minute turns with nothing that could be called slow play if you're trying to fit 8+ rounds of magic into one day. If those each go an extra 10 minutes (assuming they're already going to go a few minutes over, they always do), that's an easy hour and a half being added to a marathon of a day.

While I hate decks like these that do nothing but play solitaire, the reason it needs a ban is entirely practical. It's just a bonus that those of us who don't like watching people masturbate for 15 minutes only to go limp at the end before they can get there would be saved from having to F6 IRL.

Double bonus that this particular version only exists thanks to a loophole in the rules, so really shouldn't exist at all as the rules were intended.

it's also insanely difficult to interact with. oh man they had an artifact removal spell, i guess instead of winning i only get to draw six cards and make 10 mana :(. oh man they had a second artifact removal spell, good thing i have a ton of lands that my opponent can't interact with to find me additional copies of any combo piece that might be missing

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
At least Storm is deterministic, can be interacted with and doesnt take advantage of any bizarre corner case rules interactions.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

KCI still functions without the "bizarre corner case rules interactions", and would still take long turns in inexperienced hands, it's just less consistent.

Those "corner cases" are weak poo poo compared to some of the more heinous bullshit you can break the rules with too, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The Shortest Path posted:

Those "corner cases" are weak poo poo compared to some of the more heinous bullshit you can break the rules with too, by the way.

Is this the MTG rules equivalent of, "Criminals will just break the law anyway, so why bother making any?"