Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

we read your posts, we don't need a visual representation of them too

:chanpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

do not trigger me

the soviets put the first satellites and people in space, and Elon Musk is subsisting off the US response to that

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

incels interlinked posted:

Carlos Slim is the largest single shareholder of the New York Times' parent company

From 2010 to 2013, Slim was ranked as the richest person in the world by the Forbes business magazine.[1][4] He derived his fortune from his extensive holdings in a considerable number of Mexican companies through his conglomerate, Grupo Carso.[5] As of June 2018, he is the seventh-richest person in the world according to Forbes' listing of The World's Billionaires with a net worth estimated at $61.3 billion.[1] He is the richest man in Mexico.[6]

His conglomerate includes education, health care, industrial manufacturing, transportation, real estate, media, energy, hospitality, entertainment, high-technology, retail, sports and financial services.[2][3][7][8] He accounts for 40% of the listings on the Mexican Stock Exchange,[7] while his net worth is equivalent to about 6 percent of Mexico’s gross domestic product.[9]

carlos slim makes jeff bezos look like the humanitarian of the year

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
carlos slim got rich off of hilarious price gouging by his state granted telecom monopoly

he's like the hero of an ayn rand book

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
true but he also has the best name ever so, it;s impossible to say if hes bad or not,

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
carlos slim’s new york tims.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Biodome posted:

true but he also has the best name ever so, it;s impossible to say if hes bad or not,

a man of contrasts

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

carlos slim makes jeff bezos look like the humanitarian of the year

:yeah:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

President Beep posted:

carlos slim’s new york tims.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

i dont know if it was here or in the elong thread somebody posted about that guy trying to repair a water damaged Tesla, but goddamn that is some janky poo poo. its like linus tech tips level of jankiness...

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

refleks posted:

i dont know if it was here or in the elong thread somebody posted about that guy trying to repair a water damaged Tesla, but goddamn that is some janky poo poo. its like linus tech tips level of jankiness...

that guys cool.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I’ve been binge watching his stuff. it’s definitely shadetree stuff, but the guy is resourceful and clever. he also doesn’t come across as a hard core elon enthusiast.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Post the wet tesla

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

here u go:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfV0_wbjG8KJADuZT2ct4SA

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

he started out very small, so the format and general organization of the channel is a little wonky imo. still some good content tho.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
project wet blanky

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

does journey still have the lab-grown Steve Perry clone

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
last i checked, yeah. i saw him when he was still fronting wheel in the sky (a journey cover band) and he sang everything just like steve perry.

i don’t like the new recordings with him though.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

is journey the band who had that one member who killed himself by grilling in the bathroom? i can never remember.

e: nope. boston. same thing.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/brad-delp-details-emerge-about-his-tragic-suicide

President Beep fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 5, 2018

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
that's boston

journey the singer got replaced by his exact doppelganger

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Beast of Bourbon posted:

that's boston

journey the singer got replaced by his exact doppelganger

well, vocal doppelganger anyways. he's filipino.

speaking of, years ago I saw judas priest with ripper singing. he was pretty good.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
gowan was the perfect replacement for de young

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Whenever a friend of mine sees me reading Yospos on my phone he says "Is that your hacker forum?"

No, friend, this is the opposite of a thing that gives me interesting coworker cred.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

Chris Knight posted:

https://slate.com/culture/2018/02/i-am-the-very-model-of-a-new-york-times-contrarian.html

I am the very model of a New York Times contrarian,
My intellect is polished but my soul’s authoritarian,
From Allen down to Exxon, bullies’ water I am carrying,
Except for Donald Trump’s, because I find him a vulgarian.
I’m very well acquainted, too, with arguments political,
I love to mount defenses for the vile and hypocritical,
I filigree each sentence till its meaning I am burying,
My job is to distract you from the rising smell of carrion.

My eagerness to stand up for the powerful is frightening,
I’m always showing up when a sepulcher needs some whitening,
In short, with polished intellect and soul authoritarian,
I am the very model of a New York Times contrarian!

There’s nothing that I relish more than playing Devil’s advocate,
My beat is moral virtue comma complete, total lack of it,
I’ll only call you “victim” if it’s clear that you’re a predator,
I’m lucky to have landed with a sympathetic editor.
Hate-reading makes my columns all go viral like canarypox,
Present me with the truth and I will turn it to a paradox,
I’ll spew undoubted bullshit till you’ll swear that it’s veracity,
Sometimes vocabulary gets confused for perspicacity.

I’ll never have to worry about financial adversity,
My sinecure’s secured by “intellectual diversity,”
In short, with polished sentences and soul authoritarian,

I introduce myself in verse based on a comic opera,
Though tragedy would surely strike my critics as more proper-a,
But manic, frantic forms can help obscure a darkness visible,
And keep people from noticing my arguments are risible.
I’m confident that confidence is all I need to dominate,
I’ll gladly share my theories with your business or conglomerate,
For money I will tell you money’s good for the environment,
Or argue that a safety net is nothing but entitlement!

The best people all know me and my pedigree’s immaculate,
That’s good, because my takes are generally quite inaccurate,
But still, with polished intellect and soul authoritarian,

Quoting because I not only liked the whole thing but also looked up all the words I didn't know (need to hold onto sinecure, that's a good one)

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

I dont know what videos you guys are watching but here is one where he covered a car shittily and then proceeds to pour water down the backseats while talking about how important it is that the chargers dont get wet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pfbngV54b8

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lol. yeah, just saw that one. he’s definitely an honorary hillbilly.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

it also has bonus tesla fuckery where they use differently sized nuts for securing the passanger and driver seat for no apparent reason.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

refleks posted:

it also has bonus tesla fuckery where they use differently sized nuts for securing the passanger and driver seat for no apparent reason.

there's probably like 10 guys in the tent hand building the cars out of a tupperware parts bin thats full of random poo poo

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Roosevelt posted:

there's probably like 10 guys in the tent hand building the cars out of a tupperware parts bin thats full of random poo poo

this was some spiffy dual motor model s with autopilot or w/e and all that poo poo.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
oh okay so they're in the building and they've got the fancy tackle box parts bin instead

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lol. i like to imagine coffee cans.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
old coffee cans

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
And they're the cans elon uses to store his farts in the freezer until they've aged enough not to be identifiable by the cia

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jit bull transpile posted:

And they're the cans elon uses to store his farts in the freezer until they've aged enough not to be identifiable by the cia

wh

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

quote:

I’m Naomi Wu a DIY and tech enthusiast in Shenzhen, China. Nine months ago Vice Magazine contacted me for an interview. A lot has been written about that, very little by me.

I’ve avoided writing about my experience with Sarah Jeong, Jason Koebler, and Vice Magazine in detail because I can’t explain the whole story the way I want to. I can’t really blame anyone who is unfamiliar with China’s issues, who might say “Naomi, I don’t see what’s the big deal” or think I’m nuts, or who may’ve otherwise been unable to connect the few dots that I’ve provided. I’m sorry for being vague about my full side of it, but one day I’ll be able to write every detail and things will be clearer. In the meantime, this is what I can write, and again, I’m very sorry it’s so incomplete.
Shenzhen Tech Girl Naomi Wu: My experience with Sarah Jeong, Jason Koebler, and Vice Magazine

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
unsurprisingly, tech reporter and lawyer finds complex societal issues challenging and blurry, makes wide sweeping generalizations in lieu of handling issues with care and sensitivity.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

quote:

Part 2 : Sarah Jeong
Sarah did not come to listen, mediate, or learn- she was sent by Jason Koebler to destroy me and protect a business model that has endangered voiceless sources in the developing World countless times.

Holy poo poo, I didn't know Sarah Jeong moonlights as Perfect Dark.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
vice nearly did what the most expansive surveillance state on earth couldn't

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'll let that slide since google isn't a state yet :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Roosevelt posted:

i remember reading a thing a long time ago pre-bailout comparing toyota's processes to gm's. at the time, toyota had something like 3 unique seat brackets. gm had like 16 or something, despite making similar ranges of vehicles. it's impressive that tesla has managed something even worse.