Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
The mod changes all sound great, especially taking mod challenges off of cantina energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SgtMongoose posted:

Get Wedge and Biggs. Use Wedge as your leader and you will profit. Remove FBLuke and STHan, they are worthless against Wiggs, Lando, R2, and Han.

That was pretty much my plan. I've added a maxed out mods on both of them now which improved them, but their GL is still pretty low.

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

The mod changes all sound great, especially taking mod challenges off of cantina energy

That is great news.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
lots of mod info here (loud video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyaAr4_XlLU
-mods getting their own energy
-no more faction specific mod challenges (gently caress you jawas)
-6 dot mods come from upgrading existing 5 dot gold mods, so dont have to worry about existing mods becoming worthless
-if you have current green/blue mods with speed secondaries you havent leveled up yet, do so now before the mod changes because itll give you a better chance for higher max speed secondary

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Just as I finish getting 5-dot lvl-15 mods on the entire roster.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

God dammit I started farming Jawas like 3 weeks ago

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
I'm very disappointed they are removing mods from cantina energy. While it means we get slightly more free energy per day, we will have to choose between refreshing cantina and refreshing mods. Keep in mind that now, refreshing mods will not give you cantina tokens anymore, but will give you stuff you need to rank up mods.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Malgrin posted:

I'm very disappointed they are removing mods from cantina energy. While it means we get slightly more free energy per day, we will have to choose between refreshing cantina and refreshing mods. Keep in mind that now, refreshing mods will not give you cantina tokens anymore, but will give you stuff you need to rank up mods.

What
Right now we have to choose between farming cantina and mods, and as someone deep into the vets is really dumb and frustrating. This is the best move I've seen them make since I started

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Malgrin posted:

If you've already got JTR I don't think this change is really aimed at you, but it also won't affect you that much.

if you don't already have JTR and you're farming mods instead that's more of a comment on you

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

What
Right now we have to choose between farming cantina and mods, and as someone deep into the vets is really dumb and frustrating. This is the best move I've seen them make since I started

Likes getting Cantina tokens from farming mods more than he likes being able to farm the actual shards from cantina nodes? I can't understand it either.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mugaaz posted:

Likes getting Cantina tokens from farming mods more than he likes being able to farm the actual shards from cantina nodes? I can't understand it either.

Yeah because late-game players don't need the Cantina characters but we do need the Shard currency.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
LMAO if you use cantina currency for shard shop and not fleetbux to buy more mods anyway.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

CaptainPsyko posted:

LMAO if you use cantina currency for shard shop and not fleetbux to buy more mods anyway.

For some reason I've always had enough fleet currency to get a mod whenever I needed to. I think I did well enough in the early incarnation of the ship board that I got a bit ahead of that part of the game. Of course now I'm behind in it again.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

mdemone posted:

Yeah because late-game players don't need the Cantina characters but we do need the Shard currency.

I'm about to slam every loving cantina energy I have into matt/silencer node.

CaptainPsyko posted:

No one has ever pointed this out to me before, but it seems like a good idea.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 6, 2018

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

mdemone posted:

For some reason I've always had enough fleet currency to get a mod whenever I needed to. I think I did well enough in the early incarnation of the ship board that I got a bit ahead of that part of the game. Of course now I'm behind in it again.

Just means you’re not using fleetbux to buy enough mods.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I only remember to check the mod store 4 days out of 7, so I'm usually not dead on fleetbux.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
I mean, I mainly use ship material for mods already, but the last 4 sent had a single increase to speed upon leveling and I have yet to see a CD/CC triangle with CD primary and speed secondary the entire time I've been watching the mod store.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
I'm the only person in my ship shard's top 50 to run the Geo Trio and I haven't dropped below #5 on defense despite being 70-150k GP behind the other fleets around me. I think they're all terrified to fight a team that isn't Biggs/Vader/TIE.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

CubsWoo posted:

I'm the only person in my ship shard's top 50 to run the Geo Trio and I haven't dropped below #5 on defense despite being 70-150k GP behind the other fleets around me. I think they're all terrified to fight a team that isn't Biggs/Vader/TIE.

it's legitimately hard to handle with biggs in. His taunt-up buff mean he can't call assist a weakened target with Sunfac in the way, so it forces them to go hard on sunfac, but you can easily lose that fight.

This is why I don't bring Biggs out front when I counter buggs.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I used my latest zeta on R2's number cruncher ability. Is it worth slapping Zetas on both abilities when a character has 2 abilities that can be zeta'd? Like I should put one on Vaders unique, as I hosed that up and put it on his leader. I think next Zeta will go on Nihilus though.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

I used my latest zeta on R2's number cruncher ability. Is it worth slapping Zetas on both abilities when a character has 2 abilities that can be zeta'd? Like I should put one on Vaders unique, as I hosed that up and put it on his leader. I think next Zeta will go on Nihilus though.

Depends entirely on the abilities.

R2? Yes. Both. In every situation
Vader? Yes. Both. Leader for strong tank runs and both for fleet power (vader is the best star pilot in the galaxy... of heroes).
Nihilus? Unique, yes. Leader? No. God no.

Just as a reference, here's all the toons I've got with multi-zetas.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 6, 2018

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Also dont zeta nihilus unless you are ready/planning on sion being your zeta after that and vice versa

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Also dont zeta nihilus unless you are ready/planning on sion being your zeta after that and vice versa

Disagree slightly - if you’re using DN under Palp lead, regardless of the full lineup, you want that zeta.

Of course if you’re using DN under palp lead and aren’t working on Sion to go with him, well, LMAO at you, what are you even doing anyway.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
DS's zeta is more important than DN's, imo, but they're both mandatory for EZPZ

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Chilichimp posted:

DS's zeta is more important than DN's, imo, but they're both mandatory for EZPZ
Agreed

CaptainPsyko posted:

Disagree slightly - if you’re using DN under Palp lead, regardless of the full lineup, you want that zeta.

Of course if you’re using DN under palp lead and aren’t working on Sion to go with him, well, LMAO at you, what are you even doing anyway.
I wouldnt even recommend DN or DS on their own, unless you are really just that limited on Empire/Sith characters. As someone still using tarkin and TFP instead of DN/DS, if I see one of those on their own in a team I know its an easy win*

*assuming EZPZ team, and my DV is faster, which it usually is

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 6, 2018

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
DN is a great toon in a multitude of comps and everyone should have him, with a zeta, in their swiss-army-cupboard

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CaptainPsyko posted:

My Arena/GW team right now is Palp, Vader, DN, Tarkin and Sidious. I'm working on getting Sion now that I've 3*'d his node, but that s along, long way off, but he'll be replacing Sidious. I didn't know Gear effect ship battles that much, i'll probably put my next zeta on Vader then to complete him.

I want a good backup team that will be rebels. I am going to have to put effort into Resistance characters if I want JTR and into Phoenix again to max out Thrawn though.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Well, looks like I kicked a hornet's nest with that comment. Yeah, I actually don't care about cantina currency, and don't need it -- I see it overall as a slight improvement for me as I'll spend 0 cantina refreshes and 3 mod refreshes.

For people who are still working on unlocking dudes through cantina, and working on getting mods, and so on, this is both good and bad -- I don't think everyone has really thought this through. If you are able to afford 1-2 cantina refreshes, you still have to choose between improving mods and improving your cantina farm. I'm going to assume that you will get 120 mod energy per day, and that it will cost 100 per refresh. I could be wrong about these things, but given ship energy, I doubt it. Additionally, you will need to spend on mod energy if you ever want to be able to upgrade your mods. So, as a player who has decent mods but wants to improve your mods, and who also wants to unlock JTR, you STILL have to choose between better mods and JTR, only now, choosing to work on mods prevents you from finishing some longer term projects like ST and whatnot, because you're not longer getting cantina tokens. Meanwhile, the people spending money on this game have yet another avenue to get ahead of you for cheap, because for them, an additional 300 crystals per day on mod energy is cheap.

e: Basically this is one more avenue for everyone to fall behind people spending money

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 6, 2018

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
You're still at least getting 120 energy worth of mods even without refreshing so that's still coming out ahead for your typical player making his way through the cantina roster

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Yeah, you'll have to choose which one you want to go faster with refreshes, but you'll still be getting both energy at once, which is a huge improvement over now where I havent spent cantina energy on mod challenges in months because I had to use it to unlock KRU for a FO team to unlock bb8, then death trooper for tie reaper (before ship rework), and now currently vets for RJT. I get the occasional mod from the mod store but those are super expensive and mean I essentially cant use ship material to upgrade ships. This is a massive improvement for me

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Yeah, you'll have to choose which one you want to go faster with refreshes, but you'll still be getting both energy at once, which is a huge improvement over now where I havent spent cantina energy on mod challenges in months because I had to use it to unlock KRU for a FO team to unlock bb8, then death trooper for tie reaper (before ship rework), and now currently vets for RJT. I get the occasional mod from the mod store but those are super expensive and mean I essentially cant use ship material to upgrade ships. This is a massive improvement for me

Over the past year, farming mods constantly, you would rarely get improved mods, so you barely got ahead by farming mods. Now, you will get the ability to merge mods and make better mods, and you need currency you get from farming mods to do this. Anyone spending money on this game, or getting top payouts, will be able to put that into actually getting insane mods, while you will not.

I've heard that merging mods will be very expensive and require rare materials to get the top mods - they are adding an additional tier of mods with this. Those mods will be significantly better, and you can ONLY get those mods by farming those mats with mod energy, think of like stun cuffs for leveling mods.

If the only thing they were doing was adding mod energy, and leaving everything else as is, this would be a spectacular change. I would've sent CG praise in their forums (well, probably not, I'm lazy). However, you can't take the addition of mod energy by itself because they are adding all of this other mod poo poo in at the same time.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 6, 2018

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Malgrin posted:

Over the past year, farming mods constantly, you would rarely get improved mods, so you barely got ahead by farming mods. Now, you will get the ability to merge mods and make better mods, and you need currency you get from farming mods to do this. Anyone spending money on this game, or getting top payouts, will be able to put that into actually getting insane mods, while you will not.

Thats how the current system works now. Whales will always be able to improve faster than those who dont spend money. But my rate of new mods will increase, and Ill be able to specifically go for mod sets I want. I guess for super end game players that already have great mod sets and everything they want from the cantina this might be annoying? But I feel like thats a tiny % of the community

im also not sure what you mean by 'merge' mods? You arent combining multiple mods from what I understand, you'll get essentially mod salvage from mod nodes you'll use to upgrade existing mods, that will get a % boost based on already existing stats. So already having good mods is great, because they'll just get better once you upgrade them to 6 dot (note for speed they said itll be 3%, which depending on how rounding works might result in maybe a 1 speed increase, so speed sets wont drastically change even going to 6 dot)

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Thats how the current system works now. Whales will always be able to improve faster than those who dont spend money. But my rate of new mods will increase, and Ill be able to specifically go for mod sets I want. I guess for super end game players that already have great mod sets and everything they want from the cantina this might be annoying? But I feel like thats a tiny % of the community

im also not sure what you mean by 'merge' mods? You arent combining multiple mods from what I understand, you'll get essentially mod salvage from mod nodes you'll use to upgrade existing mods, that will get a % boost based on already existing stats. So already having good mods is great, because they'll just get better once you upgrade them to 6 dot (note for speed they said itll be 3%, which depending on how rounding works might result in maybe a 1 speed increase, so speed sets wont drastically change even going to 6 dot)

Sorry, I think their original idea was that you would have to merge multiple mods together (I heard this from beta people). It looks like it's now 'slicing' and you won't need to merge mods.

You know how much it takes to farm an mk6 stun gun? Imagine that but for a mod to get it from 5a to 6e. And all that stuff has to be farmed from mod energy.

Also, on speed mods, it looks like speed primary goes from 30 to 32, while speed secondaries go up 3% (supposedly rounded up). This means that anywhere from 17 speed up will get +1 speed. Speed set is remaining 10%.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 6, 2018

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Malgrin posted:

I've heard that merging mods will be very expensive and require rare materials to get the top mods - they are adding an additional tier of mods with this. Those mods will be significantly better, and you can ONLY get those mods by farming those mats with mod energy, think of like stun cuffs for leveling mods.

Ok? The new system will still be better for me because aside from the very rare and super expensive mod store mods that often end up being poo poo anyways im not able to improve mods in any way now. Im doing 3 cantina refreshes a day just to try and get vets done before the next RJT event and have precisely 0 extra cantina energy for mods and am usually too credit poor to spend any on the mod store, so maybe occasionally if there is a promising one that is ship credits Ill go for it, but the past 4 that had speed secondaries didnt get a single additional speed while leveling so Ive spent ~8mil ship credits and who knows how many actual credits leveling mods that ended with 3, 5, 4, 3 speed at level 12 anyways. The current system is complete bullshit and I havent had a mod upgrade in months and am not leveling any ships because I save it all for the mod store. Its garbage.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

I guess my point is that they are replacing a garbage system with a garbage system, and you shouldn't be that happy about it. On the lower end of this game, it puts pressure to farm mod crap to improve mods or you'll fall behind. On the high end, it puts pressure to farm mod crap to improve mods or you'll fall behind.

Before this change, I had 0 concern of falling behind in mods -- while I don't have spectacular mods, I have good enough mods, but pretty soon, everyone will have spectacular mods.

e: I get that the ability to farm mods now, where before you weren't able to, sounds good, but I'm trying to tell you that long term, this is still bad for you.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 6, 2018

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Malgrin posted:

I guess my point is that they are replacing a garbage system with a garbage system, and you shouldn't be that happy about it. On the lower end of this game, it puts pressure to farm mod crap to improve mods or you'll fall behind. On the high end, it puts pressure to farm mod crap to improve mods or you'll fall behind.

Before this change, I had 0 concern of falling behind in mods -- while I don't have spectacular mods, I have good enough mods, but pretty soon, everyone will have spectacular mods.

e: I get that the ability to farm mods now, where before you weren't able to, sounds good, but I'm trying to tell you that long term, this is still bad for you.

Why would you be more concerned about falling behind on mods now then before? Nothing has changed for whales that are able to farm/upgrade/refresh mod store to get good mods faster than everyone else already.

I mean we'll have to wait to actually see the impact that 6 dot mods have, but speed is king in arena and from the video it like a 12 speed secondary mod now will go to 13 at 6 dot, not exactly massive. And even if the new system ends up being garbage its still a net improvement from the current situation

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before I give up my +20 speed square.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Why would you be more concerned about falling behind on mods now then before? Nothing has changed for whales that are able to farm/upgrade/refresh mod store to get good mods faster than everyone else already.

I mean we'll have to wait to actually see the impact that 6 dot mods have, but speed is king in arena and from the video it like a 12 speed secondary mod now will go to 13 at 6 dot, not exactly massive. And even if the new system ends up being garbage its still a net improvement from the current situation

I'm upset for a bunch of reasons.
1) There's a new thing I have to grind (mod slicing mats). This is dumb and lovely, and this game doesn't need to bloat more.
2) I know I look like a whale on here, but I'm competing with people on both arena and fleet that buy everything the second it hits marquee. They will be refreshing 10+ times per day, while I'm at 3.
3) These people already have the edge with 20+ speed mods, what happens when they get good upgrade rolls and have 3 characters with 150+ speed sets, while my best is still around 120?

Also, there's been some talk about how specific factions will no longer be required for mods -- but they haven't really said how they are implementing it. I expect that the mod missions will get harder as you go along, so someone who could farm up lovely jawas and unlock CD mods might no longer be able to beat the mod mission because it's too hard (think when light side 9 hard missions where released)

There's also just a ton we don't know about right now. As it stands, 5e mods have the same power level as 5a mods, what if that changes? 6e mods are all but guaranteed to have more power than 5 dot mods. How will that impact fleet arena?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Malgrin posted:

I'm upset for a bunch of reasons.
1) There's a new thing I have to grind (mod slicing mats). This is dumb and lovely, and this game doesn't need to bloat more.
2) I know I look like a whale on here, but I'm competing with people on both arena and fleet that buy everything the second it hits marquee. They will be refreshing 10+ times per day, while I'm at 3.
3) These people already have the edge with 20+ speed mods, what happens when they get good upgrade rolls and have 3 characters with 150+ speed sets, while my best is still around 120?

Also, there's been some talk about how specific factions will no longer be required for mods -- but they haven't really said how they are implementing it. I expect that the mod missions will get harder as you go along, so someone who could farm up lovely jawas and unlock CD mods might no longer be able to beat the mod mission because it's too hard (think when light side 9 hard missions where released)

There's also just a ton we don't know about right now. As it stands, 5e mods have the same power level as 5a mods, what if that changes? 6e mods are all but guaranteed to have more power than 5 dot mods. How will that impact fleet arena?

The speed modifier going to 6 dot is 3%, and doesnt apply to primary. So if they take their current speed set and 6 dot everything itll be at most a 5 speed increase, which will make a difference but at least where I am in arena it isnt going to be make or break. I guess I get the point about this being something new to farm but they are adding in new energy to farm it with. If they had introduced 6 dot mods and kept them on cantina energy I wouldve been extremely pissed

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

The speed modifier going to 6 dot is 3%, and doesnt apply to primary. So if they take their current speed set and 6 dot everything itll be at most a 5 speed increase, which will make a difference but at least where I am in arena it isnt going to be make or break. I guess I get the point about this being something new to farm but they are adding in new energy to farm it with. If they had introduced 6 dot mods and kept them on cantina energy I wouldve been extremely pissed

Also, got (beta) confirmation from a friend, 5e to 5a will change the power of a mod, so pilots with gold mods will be better than pilots with white mods.

e: in the past, this has always been true, but gold vs. white was due to level, e.g. a level 15 originally white mod had the same power value as a level 15 originally gold mod. Now a mod that starts white will have less power than a mod that starts gold.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
According to some of the numbers charts CG posted, the 3% on speed mods rounds up so you will get an increase anyway, gently caress you and diebold