Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I moved from Oklahoma to Nebraska in middle school. That loving sucked.

Were your parents on a mission to find the most sole crushingly lonely spot for their kid to grow up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

I'm not saying it should have anything. I'm saying that with 4 major cities and 11.6 million people you'd expect more to do. Nobody expects that out of Nebraska and Oklahoma. Cincinnati is nice, though. Although they pretend to be a part of Kentucky.

e: If you like living in Ohio, good on you. Denmark and Singapore are really boring to visit, too, and people really enjoy living there

singapore is cool to visit if and only if you avoid rich people enclaves

so that gives you like 1/3 the city to gently caress around in

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Relentlessboredomm posted:

MS is Alabama minus the cities ie minus any pockets of good.

Mississippi is the worst for education, per capita income, and basically anything good

It's number 1 for STDs and basically everything bad. It's a garbage state.

Time for me to open up an okcupid so i can bag up the next tomi lahren.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Were your parents on a mission to find the most sole crushingly lonely spot for their kid to grow up?

Worse. Dad was a USN officer.

On the other hand I ended up living in San Diego so it wasn't all poo poo.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Mississippi is great if you want to purchase cheap Gulf of Mexico property and can stomach paying taxes to a broken and malignant state government. Its a state that has some very interesting marginalized communities.

Alabama is great is you love marginalizing those communities under slightly nicer conditions.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Worse. Dad was a USN officer.

On the other hand I ended up living in San Diego so it wasn't all poo poo.

Growing up in San Diego during the late 80s through 90s was 10/10. Really loving cool.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
as an army brat with two parents from the deep south, Ive always had a special hatred in my heart for Mississippi (dads family from here) and Arkansas (born there, moms family from there).

No way the Rust Belt or the Mountain States can in any way, shape or form be worse than those two states.

Being African American, I imagine even the stifling Whiteness of the mountain states is somehow still more navigable than the generations of oppression and marginalization in the Deep South.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Which of you assholes is talking poo poo on Kansas fight me irl we gave you the wizard of Oz and kicked your asses in baseball back in 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Nice and hot piss posted:

Which of you assholes is talking poo poo on Kansas fight me irl we gave you the wizard of Oz and kicked your asses in baseball back in 2015

Kansas doesn't even have the best Kansas City.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Chichevache posted:

Kansas doesn't even have the best Kansas City.

That's a better burn than I could have hoped to come up with, well done.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I could see Omaha being less soul-crushing than most areas of the state but hoo boy compared to even Tampa, Omaha's quiet as hell.

That said, it's nice when you're 34 and settled in life. The suburban filth are somehow worse but they stay the gently caress out west and I stay where there's 10 bars within walking distance of my house.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FAUXTON posted:

I could see Omaha being less soul-crushing than most areas of the state but hoo boy compared to even Tampa, Omaha's quiet as hell.

It was Papillion. Jesus Christ I hated that place.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It was Papillion. Jesus Christ I hated that place.

Ouch, it's practically nothing but houses down there.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

joat mon posted:

Different intent. In your sense, going to a meeting with the intent to get dirt is like going to a protest to get in a fight. Intend all you want, but it's not illegal until you get in a fight.
Now, if you conspire with others to get into a fight, that's a whole 'nother rabbit hole.

Intent in the law works a bit differently. One has to do an action that is illegal in order to break the law. Thinking, wanting, hoping, going over in your mind, about a crime isn't illegal.
Generally* one must intend to do the illegal action. This actually makes it easier for the prosecutor. He/she doesn't have to prove you had the intent to break the law, only that you intended to do the act that broke the law. In this sense the intent is basically volition. This most basic of intent plus an illegal act equals a crime. (usually) E.g., soliciting/accepting foreign in-kind political contributions is a general intent crime - the prosecutor doesn't have to prove you did it with bad intent, just that you did it of your own volition.
*This kind of intent of called general intent. There is another kind of intent that does require some intent of the kind you're thinking of. Those are called specific intent crimes. In addition to a criminal _act_, the act must be done with some flavor of bad intent. E.g., several of the obstruction of justice statutes require that the obstruction 1) be done and 2) be done "corruptly." In addition to the act of obstructing, the prosecutor additionally has to prove that the act was done with corrupt intent. Specific intent crimes require more work, more proof, and have more room for reasonable doubt.

Wanting something illegal isn't illegal.

Interesting! I'm still confused, tho...if members of 45s election team went into a meeting with foreigners, under the intent to collect dirt on Clinton, and they only reason they didn't, is because the Russians didn't actually have anything....I'm still struggling to see how that's not illegal.

I can still get busted for buying drugs if I go to buy drugs, even if there aren't any drugs there....so I'm wondering what the difference is.

Probably that I'm a poor schmuck and the trumps have money, heh.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

current event: https://www.businessinsider.com/arizona-sheriff-told-sacha-baron-cohen-he-would-accept-blow-job-from-donald-trump-2018-8

quote:

Baron Cohen then asks the sheriff: "If Donald Trump calls you up after this and says, 'Sheriff Joe, I want to offer you an amazing blow job,' would you say yes?"

"I may have to say yes," Arpaio replies.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I just woke up and I'm gonna have to read this post once more after I've had a coffee. Because right now, it reads like the missile knows where it is

He’s just breaking down (very well i might add) between general and specific intent. They’re legal terms of art and do not carry the common meaning. They refer to a cognizable action rather than some perceived mental desire.

General intent - the fact that you did an action means you intended to.

Specific intent - prosecution must show that you had the “mens rea” (literally translated guilty mind). As joat said, specific intent crimes are more difficult to prove as a result. The mens rea differs between the crime, doesn’t necessarily require you know your actions are criminal, and are typically written into the statute.

Some specific intent crimes include murder (requires malice aforethought), most theft/larceny statutes (requires the intent to deprive someone permanently of property), terroristic threats, and conspiracy. If a statute says something about intent, it’s probably specific intent.

Some general intent crimes are manslaughter, trespass (including to chattels), rape, arson, and assault. What you mentally wanted to happen doesn’t really matter, the fact that you committed the crime shows requisite intent and your mental state doesn’t matter.

What all this really means is that certain crimes have a higher threshold to prove. Almost always, though, there is some sort of lesser included offense that covers a general intent crime.

This is also part of why the feds lost the first bundy trial over the oregon refuge. They chose to charge people with a specific intent crime and failed to show beyond a reasonable doubt that the specific mens rea existed to constitute an offense. Well, that and jury nullification.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nice and hot piss posted:

I was. Kansas is a barren wasteland. It’s flat, empty, and the only excitement is when a tornado comes through.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Lawrence is nice and a fun town

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Childhood friend of mine got a masters and PHD from KU and didn’t mind too much.

My dad is from ellis and was born in hays. We have family still up there. I almost moved to Winfield from west texas as a kid.

I was in colorado riding the train up pikes peak as a teenager and the guide said “if you look over to the easy you see that flat boring place with nothing going on? That’s kansas.”

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Kansas challenge: I-70, marijuana, Gordon Lightfoots' greatest hits on repeat. Try not to die. Or get busted at toll booths.

At least the roads are nice. Can't say that for the Tulsa Turnpike a state down, and that's a loving toll road too.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
some of my wife's family lives in Kansas and they are teachers who routinely complain about the collapsing education system but by loving god they'll keep pulling that red lever

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

some of my wife's family lives in Kansas and they are teachers who routinely complain about the collapsing education system but by loving god they'll keep pulling that red lever

I have friends in unions that do the same thing. Some people are just blind to reality.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Same for literally all of my family but Oklahoma. Had 1 brother up there who stayed in Tulsa after graduating from Oral Roberts U and then after Katrina all the family that survived (except me) moved up to the Tulsa area also. They complain about the schools but have enough money to send their kids to the private schools so just do that and vote straight ticket R every year because 'abortion'.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Soulex posted:

Bangladesh js loving wild right now.

It’s still going, possibly escalating. Hard to tell since there’s not much good reporting yet.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

M_Gargantua posted:

It’s still going, possibly escalating. Hard to tell since there’s not much good reporting yet.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archer_Blood#The_Blood_Telegram

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Kansas challenge: I-70, marijuana, Gordon Lightfoots' greatest hits on repeat. Try not to die. Or get busted at toll booths.

At least the roads are nice. Can't say that for the Tulsa Turnpike a state down, and that's a loving toll road too.

Insanity Challenge: Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald on repeat

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

EBB posted:

Insanity Challenge: Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald on repeat

IN THE LAKE

THAT THEY CALL

GITCHEE-GOOMIE

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was. Kansas is a barren wasteland. It’s flat, empty, and the only excitement is when a tornado comes through.

Lol yeah my response was more tongue in cheek. Kansas in general has more bad things than good things. I miss living in Manhattan and Kansas City is pretty neat, albeit the good side is in Missouri. Most of Kansas seems like time has stood still, topeka is a barren wasteland and I never enjoyed myself when I was in Wichita.

I have considered moving back to Kansas City but I would take roughly a 40,000 pay cut doing the same job and the cost of living isn't offset enough to make that in any way shape or form a "smart idea" on top of all the other reasons why you wouldn't want to move from the PNW to the Midwest

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

http://archive.is/wNExe

Inshallah

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

U.S. restores some Iran sanctions lifted under nuclear deal
https://wapo.st/2OIpKiW

i wish the mooch was press secretary for this poo poo

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

:thunk: Wow, great PR campaign Saudis

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

I read Baron Cohen as Barron Trump and got really confused for a second

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Thalantos posted:

Interesting! I'm still confused, tho...if members of 45s election team went into a meeting with foreigners, under the intent to collect dirt on Clinton, and they only reason they didn't, is because the Russians didn't actually have anything....I'm still struggling to see how that's not illegal.
Maybe part of the problem is that we're talking about 45 and his folks, which tends to tunnel vision people to "gently caress Trump," heedless of the consequences and impossibility of ignoring the law "just this once - it's important."
It's not illegal because ... it's just not illegal. There was no criminal act. Being inside a person's head, intent is difficult to determine - and if you're going to take away someone's liberty, it should be hard to prove. How do you even defend against an accusation of bad intent? It is MUCH easier to determine whether an action took place. On top of that, actions are more destructive than thoughts or wishes or intents about actions so it makes sense to go focus on the actions immediately destructive to the public peace and not focus on guessing into people's heads about whether they had a bad thought or not.

Thalantos posted:

I can still get busted for buying drugs if I go to buy drugs, even if there aren't any drugs there....so I'm wondering what the difference is.
I don't think you can get busted for buying drugs if you go to buy drugs, even if there aren't any drugs there. What state are you in, or do you have a news article about that happening?

Thalantos posted:

Probably that I'm a poor schmuck and the trumps have money, heh.
Can you imagine the loving that the poor and POC would get if cops could arrest them merely if the cops thought the person had intended or wanted or hoped to commit a crime? Can you imaging the poo poo storms if the stupid things people talk about on social media became criminally prosecutable as bad thoughts/intents/hopes?
I've got a client right now, a poor black guy with mental health issues who has to register as a sex offender. He is getting hosed with and hosed over right and left over absolute bullshit. It's made him homeless, jobless and is spiraling down his tenuous mental health. If all they needed was someone to make an accusation about some intent on his part, holy poo poo, he'd never leave the jail. Except to go to prison.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

joat mon posted:

Maybe part of the problem is that we're talking about 45 and his folks, which tends to tunnel vision people to "gently caress Trump," heedless of the consequences and impossibility of ignoring the law "just this once - it's important."
It's not illegal because ... it's just not illegal. There was no criminal act. Being inside a person's head, intent is difficult to determine - and if you're going to take away someone's liberty, it should be hard to prove. How do you even defend against an accusation of bad intent? It is MUCH easier to determine whether an action took place. On top of that, actions are more destructive than thoughts or wishes or intents about actions so it makes sense to go focus on the actions immediately destructive to the public peace and not focus on guessing into people's heads about whether they had a bad thought or not.

I don't think you can get busted for buying drugs if you go to buy drugs, even if there aren't any drugs there. What state are you in, or do you have a news article about that happening?

Can you imagine the loving that the poor and POC would get if cops could arrest them merely if the cops thought the person had intended or wanted or hoped to commit a crime? Can you imaging the poo poo storms if the stupid things people talk about on social media became criminally prosecutable as bad thoughts/intents/hopes?
I've got a client right now, a poor black guy with mental health issues who has to register as a sex offender. He is getting hosed with and hosed over right and left over absolute bullshit. It's made him homeless, jobless and is spiraling down his tenuous mental health. If all they needed was someone to make an accusation about some intent on his part, holy poo poo, he'd never leave the jail. Except to go to prison.

lol what is all this, there's documented knowledge (DonJr's emails) beforehand that the Russian government was seeking to give stolen data to the Trump campaign. There are multiple public statements by Trump himself that indicate he was made aware of the meeting and the stolen data being offered. You don't need to get into someone's head and read their mind if they're out there yelling into cameras about it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Lol bangladesh is hosed.

Anyone else keeping up with this?

I haven't watched news in the longest time so no idea if that is even making it to the television.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Third World Reggin posted:

Lol bangladesh is hosed.

Anyone else keeping up with this?

I haven't watched news in the longest time so no idea if that is even making it to the television.

Any links / sources? Only really hearing about people talking about it 2nd hand here and in another thread or two.

lol

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
from reddit

quote:

Hi, I am Bangladeshi and you probably will not get answer from any Bangladeshi right now because the government has shutdown the Internet for half the population, the other half is getting speeds of 1.28KBPS.

Our country has population the size that is more than Russia or Japan. Imagine an entirety of Japan getting their internet shutdown.

I will make this as short as I can, but there is so much to this story:

It started when a 2 teenagers were killed by Bus who disobeyed traffic laws.

Soon tens of thousands of teenage and student protestors came out on the street enforcing traffic laws by thesmelves ensuring no one else has to die, all this incredibly peacefully.

The government sent out, what I can only describe as their version of "Hitler Youth"

Rape, Murder, Assault by the Hitler Youth have been carried out. very NSFL pictures here.

Any posts on Facebook, Youtube, that shed light on these crimes against humanity seems to dissapear instantly.

I am in Singapore right now so I am able to access the internet just fine but I can't seem to contact any of my friends and families back home. It seems the government has cut off internet access to deter protest of an entire country. This is horrifying, this can not be acceptable in the modern world. They are doing this so that international media can not get a hold of the horror coming out of Bangladesh.

I am 16, and half my freinds of simmilar age has gone out in protests, and I am just terrifed right now.

You may hear that in a lot of situations all people seem to do is "like & share" and that results in nothing. But right now we need the world to "like & share" because our government is actively trying to make the international news media does not know what is going on right now.

All we wanted as some traffic laws, and this is what happens.

but it is mostly being word of mouth / internet posts so far

EDIT

news link

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/05/bangladesh-pm-urges-teen-protesters-to-go-home-amid-violence

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 6, 2018

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Couldn't find anything on Bangladesh on the BBC, is this it?

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...ow/65295087.cms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Man talk about slippery slope. They may even try to make attempted murder illegal!

• Locked thread