Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

BrianWilly posted:

Having characters get killed off by Deathstroke or Prometheus or Black Mask or whoever because they're not as popular because you've shuffled them off to the side in lieu of your prima Silver Age Icons feels a lot like the series of decisions that directly led DC to the literal indisputable failure that was the New 52 reboot. Is that really what we have to look forward to in this hobby? Just a cycle of DC never ever learning from their mistakes in spite of all possible evidence?

Oh, Brian... that's not a DC thing. That's an industry thing. The industry is on a never-ending cycle of someone massively fanboying a character and bringing them to prominence at the expense of all else. It doesn't have to make sense or who it pisses off because it's all about the fans just like them. Frankly, if this is the year Kyle finally dies, a near... what 12 years since Johns finally hit the Rebirth switch on Green Lantern and reduced him to a bit part, well gently caress I'll just be shocked he lasted this long. Every reboot, every event, you've known, I've known, that his survival was a miracle of the fates. Or they'll be turned into villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Open Marriage Night posted:

I'd read those comics. E&C's angry hypothetical comics sound fun.
Maybe comics fans really are dumb. Or Panglossian to an unhealthy degree.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Roth posted:

I have to admit that all the evidence that DT has posted about Roy dying has left me pretty baffled how it all fits together.

Amending this to say that I'm really confused what the flags for Kyle dying are supposed to be too.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

Amending this to say that I'm really confused what the flags for Kyle dying are supposed to be too.

I think it’s just because everyone always expects him to die in every event.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

I think the biggest flag is just that there are now 6 human Green Lanterns and comics hate redundant characters.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

X-O posted:

I think it’s just because everyone always expects him to die in every event.

Also in a 'murder mystery' their won't be any flags, because flags are predictable, and if the story was predictable and had a flow of logic to it, DC wouldn't be doing it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Roth posted:

They're including him in advertisements and any promotion of the character is weird because Johns hates him, so that's a red flag.

Kinda like when they said Ted Kord was gonna be one of the most important characters of the year and then they had him get his brains blown out.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If Johns hates him he would have killed him when he had absolute control over the Green Lantern franchise

also why does that have anything to do with a book he has no creative control over at all? He's not even an executive at DC anymore.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

If Johns hates him he would have killed him when he had absolute control over the Green Lantern franchise

also why does that have anything to do with a book he has no creative control over at all? He's not even an executive at DC anymore.

Why kill him when you can make him a chump to show how cool Hal is, turn him into a mass murderer in SCW to down play Hal going crazy and relegate him to space after killing all of his earthly attachments.

Even his "future" for kyle amounted to a space hippie deprived his humanity.

But I agree he has no control over this. Kyle can also die here because he's a "big name " kind of. He's Green Lantern, a big hero if green lantern can die then the stakes are real!

The other warning sign is that kyle is here to begin with. Kyle? The guy they've done their best to keep off earth? With no human attachment to the planet or reason to be there? The only lantern not allowed to show up in the happy birthday superman spread? He's here for this murder mystery? Why him and not baz or jess? Or Hal or John?

Onmi fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 6, 2018

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Onmi posted:

Why kill him when you can make him a chump to show how cool Hal is, turn him into a mass murderer in SCW to down play Hal going crazy and relegate him to space after killing all of his earthly attachments.

He did nothing of this though?

Kyle got praised for Hal and reinforced his role as GL during the Rebirth, on his brief stint as Parallax he only killed Jack T. Chance and he was the one who teamed up with Hal to stop Sinestro at the end of the War.

quote:

Even his "future" for Kyle amounted to a space hippie deprived his humanity.

Different strokes I guess, but part of the way Kyle as WL was handled is that it was precisely his humanity what allowed him to wield the full Emotional Spectrum.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Edge & Christian posted:

I wouldn't read your poo poo if you paid me. Unless it is on a dying online form, where I paid to read your poo poo and I sometimes enjoy reading it.

Also speaking of legacy characters being used as cannon fodder wasn't there a rumor of Nightwing supposedly biting the bullet until some writer told Didio hell no? I think it was around Infinite Crisis where Nightwing came across as the one single character no writer would kill.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I hate to say it but D_T is right.

Like if you're mad Kyle killed one person while possessed by Parallax I guess welcome to Green Lantern, the franchise where all the heroes have varying amounts of blood on their hands (except Simon and Jessica I guess). As for the "killing off all of his connections to Earth", like...what connections? Almost all of his friends and supporting cast are superheroes. That's how it's been since day one.

I like Kyle too, and yes he was shunted aside for Hal like all the other GLs were, but for chrissakes the dude's headlined two different books since the new 52. John has gotten less play in the last several years than Kyle has.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Madkal posted:

Also speaking of legacy characters being used as cannon fodder wasn't there a rumor of Nightwing supposedly biting the bullet until some writer told Didio hell no? I think it was around Infinite Crisis where Nightwing came across as the one single character no writer would kill.

That wasn't a rumor. Didio really really wanted to kill Nightwing, but Johns and Mark Waid were the two main guys to tell him no.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I dunno if yall noticed but Morrison's Hal book is gonna be called THE Green Lantern. Dun duh dun!!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Quick DC question, I am watching Justice League Dark and I am going through my knowledge of DC magical characters and I am wondering if Raven has ever appeared in any magic based comics that isn't Teen Titans based. I mean you have Justice League Dark which (the comic) which uses magic based characters but Raven seems to be only used for Teen Titans comics despite her being a...magic based character.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Madkal posted:

Quick DC question, I am watching Justice League Dark and I am going through my knowledge of DC magical characters and I am wondering if Raven has ever appeared in any magic based comics that isn't Teen Titans based. I mean you have Justice League Dark which (the comic) which uses magic based characters but Raven seems to be only used for Teen Titans comics despite her being a...magic based character.

She's basically relegated to Titans stuff exclusively, yeah.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Madkal posted:

She's perpetually both a teenager and a Titan.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
That's a shame. I know Starfire has been used outside of Titans stuff for space stuff in (in 52) but it seems Raven is confined to Titans stuff and not any wider DC universe stuff.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Edge & Christian posted:

I don’t know what that word means, and I assume that proves your point. You’ll be rich!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

She was just in No Justice.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

TwoPair posted:

I think the biggest flag is just that there are now 6 human Green Lanterns and comics hate redundant characters.

There are like 4 Robins who look identical

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Roth posted:

Not true. There was that one time she was in her own Emo series:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Abroham Lincoln posted:

There are like 4 Robins who look identical

also instead of reducing the number of Green Lanterns they've only increased them over time

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What is so bad about the Rebirth Justice League comic? How do you screw up a Justice League comic? I heard it gets better, but it started out real bad and no one recommends it?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. Skip till Chris Priest.

edit: It's incredibly easy to make a bad Justice League comic. What's the 'good comic' percentage since say, Joe Kelly JLA? 15% generously?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Aug 6, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, making a bad Justice League book is really easy and there’s a ton of evidence out there corroborating that.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

The only good part of Rebirth Justice League is the Chris Priest storyline which is an interesting story about the JL dealing with the political ramifications of their actions.

Unfortunately it gets overshadowed by Metal towards the end and the story randomly gets hijacked by Deathstroke and his supporting cast which is entertaining to read but makes the ending just kind of...end with a whimper that doesn't really tie together all of the political ideas that Priest raised in the earlier issues.

Overall I'd say it's worth a read if that kind of theme is interesting to you.

I've got to say though I'm actually really enjoying Snyder's JL. I usually have a few reservations about Scott Snyder's writing style but I feel like it's working really well on JL - I'll fully admit I enjoyed Metal a lot more than I expected to.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Roth posted:

It's kind of a shame too since she cna hit at the same tier Starfire (who's about to join another DC Cosmic team) and Cyborg (Justice Leaguer) but instead is generally relegated to a Titans team, usually with Beast Boy.

Speaking of, did I miss something where he suddenly got stuck in a more ape-like form for the new Titans stuff or is it another one of those things where it's planned to be explained later (with the strong possibility of it never getting an explanation)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Isn't DiDio the reason we had both Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown mostly shelved?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Dawgstar posted:

Isn't DiDio the reason we had both Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown mostly shelved?

I don't know about Cassandra, but he's the reason they killed Stephanie and then when everyone lost their poo poo over it, he had them do a dumb retcon.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Snyder's Justice League feels like the spiritual successor to Grant Morrison's Justice League run, so if you liked G-Mos run you should like Snyder's run too.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Dawgstar posted:

For the New 52, probably. DC has a weird double standard where there can be only one Batgirl, but a bazillion Robins.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
To be fair, out the four Robins, only Damian continues to be operating under that identity. The rest have moved on their own identities. Oddly enough, Tim was regressed to be Robin lite on Rebirth and he's conspicuously absent from all recent solicits.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Yeah, but at the same time, DC supposedly wouldn't let Tynion put a batsymbol on Cass's costume because they were afraid people would confuse her with Batgirl. Meanwhile, see the previously mentioned point about most of the Robins essentially looking exactly the same. Cass and Steph both had their own identities outside Batgirl, but that didn't stop DC from pushing them under the rug while specifically saying that they wanted every Robin to have their own book.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The boys physically look similar but their costumes couldn't be any more different and ultimately, is how they spend most of their on-screen time. And again, I can't help but find odd that once Tim was put on a costume similar to Damian's was then when he was slowly pushed aside until being all but gone now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Darth Nat posted:

Yeah, but at the same time, DC supposedly wouldn't let Tynion put a batsymbol on Cass's costume because they were afraid people would confuse her with Batgirl. Meanwhile, see the previously mentioned point about most of the Robins essentially looking exactly the same. Cass and Steph both had their own identities outside Batgirl, but that didn't stop DC from pushing them under the rug while specifically saying that they wanted every Robin to have their own book.

Yeah. It wasn't the best name, but I still preferred Black Bat to Orphan.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Darth Nat posted:

I remember seeing some hubbub about Didio downplaying fan response to asking for the two back and sort of mocking them before they were finally reintroduced in n52.

He seems a bit like a piece of poo poo.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Madkal posted:

Nightwing was absolutely supposed to die in Infinite Crisis. The creators/editors involved have even said as much. If you read the issues in question in hindsight it's super obvious, there were parallel plots about Connor Kent and Dick finally making peace with their mentor/father figures, Dick proposes to Barbara, they go off on their doomed mission, and near the climax of Infinite Crisis Alexander Luthor tries to fatally strike Batman with an energy bolt and Nightwing jumps into the path, falling to the ground and bleeding out of his chest, back of his head, eyes, nose, mouth, etc. to the point that it is reasonable to assume that the first pass of dialogue for the "Nightwing post blasting" scenes was meant to be:

quote:

[Ghost]
The Nightwing laying there like a loving newborn loving baby, God

[U-God]
Word up!

[Meth]
Is he dead?

[Ghost]
Is he loving dead? What the gently caress you mean is he loving dead, God?

[U-God]
What the gently caress kind of question is that, B? gently caress you think?

[Ghost]
The Nightwing laying there with his loving...
All types of loving blood coming out of his loving...

[U-God]
(sarcastically) Is he is he is he dead?
but is changed at the last minute to people standing mournfully over Nightwing's prone bloodsoaked body, sobbing, saying things like "He's okay. He's going to make it."

Batman goes off on a rampage and nearly shoots Alexander Luthor in the face for... somewhat seriously wounding Dick Grayson.
Wonder Woman gives a speech about even when villains like Luthor commit the most heinous of crimes (seriously wounding Dick Grayson), it's not worth lowering yourself to their level and killing them.

Batman goes off to rediscover himself with Tim Drake (and a hastily drawn-in Dick wearing a sling on one harm to help him recover from having his chest blown out and his entire head spewing blood), and in the ONE YEAR LATER comics Jason Todd has taken over as Nightwing and Barbara is sad Dick is gone.

He was definitely supposed to die, and they had to scramble all sorts of plans for One Year Later when Didio was finally talked out of it.

Open Marriage Night posted:

I don’t know what that word means, and I assume that proves your point. You’ll be rich!
Panglossian comes from Professor Pangloss, a relentlessly, blindly optimistic character in Candide whose entire life motto is "all is for the best in the "best of all possible worlds".

A lot of your posting (and posting online in general), perhaps as a tonic to the often incredibly negative opinions posted online, seem to fall into this sort of category.

"I hope they don't break up Lois and Clark!"
"Actually it would own if they broke them up! I'd buy that comic of swingin' single Superman!"
"Oh they're retconning it so he's been married to Lana Lang this whole time."
"Sweet! Can't wait to see what Lana and Clark get up to in their new relationship!"
"They're killing Lana and Clark and replacing them with Harley and Lois."
"That's my OTP, can't wait, this sounds awesome!"
"They're cancelling the book."
"Well I'm going to be that much more excited when it comes back!"
"Comixology is charging you for the comic that isn't coming out anymore and there are no refunds."
"Well you know, I've been trying to cut back on soda, so if Comixology takes more of my disposable income, I'll have to be healthier, I thank them for it!"
"DC comics ran over your mother."
"She's in a better place now, and she won't have to be sad about Harley and Lois's comic getting canceled!"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

Nightwing was absolutely supposed to die in Infinite Crisis. The creators/editors involved have even said as much. If you read the issues in question in hindsight it's super obvious, there were parallel plots about Connor Kent and Dick finally making peace with their mentor/father figures, Dick proposes to Barbara, they go off on their doomed mission, and near the climax of Infinite Crisis Alexander Luthor tries to fatally strike Batman with an energy bolt and Nightwing jumps into the path, falling to the ground and bleeding out of his chest, back of his head, eyes, nose, mouth, etc. to the point that it is reasonable to assume that the first pass of dialogue for the "Nightwing post blasting" scenes was meant to be:

but is changed at the last minute to people standing mournfully over Nightwing's prone bloodsoaked body, sobbing, saying things like "He's okay. He's going to make it."

Batman goes off on a rampage and nearly shoots Alexander Luthor in the face for... somewhat seriously wounding Dick Grayson.
Wonder Woman gives a speech about even when villains like Luthor commit the most heinous of crimes (seriously wounding Dick Grayson), it's not worth lowering yourself to their level and killing them.

Batman goes off to rediscover himself with Tim Drake (and a hastily drawn-in Dick wearing a sling on one harm to help him recover from having his chest blown out and his entire head spewing blood), and in the ONE YEAR LATER comics Jason Todd has taken over as Nightwing and Barbara is sad Dick is gone.

He was definitely supposed to die, and they had to scramble all sorts of plans for One Year Later when Didio was finally talked out of it.
Panglossian comes from Professor Pangloss, a relentlessly, blindly optimistic character in Candide whose entire life motto is "all is for the best in the "best of all possible worlds".

A lot of your posting (and posting online in general), perhaps as a tonic to the often incredibly negative opinions posted online, seem to fall into this sort of category.

"I hope they don't break up Lois and Clark!"
"Actually it would own if they broke them up! I'd buy that comic of swingin' single Superman!"
"Oh they're retconning it so he's been married to Lana Lang this whole time."
"Sweet! Can't wait to see what Lana and Clark get up to in their new relationship!"
"They're killing Lana and Clark and replacing them with Harley and Lois."
"That's my OTP, can't wait, this sounds awesome!"
"They're cancelling the book."
"Well I'm going to be that much more excited when it comes back!"
"Comixology is charging you for the comic that isn't coming out anymore and there are no refunds."
"Well you know, I've been trying to cut back on soda, so if Comixology takes more of my disposable income, I'll have to be healthier, I thank them for it!"
"DC comics ran over your mother."
"She's in a better place now, and she won't have to be sad about Harley and Lois's comic getting canceled!"

Truly this is the most well-executed event in comics hist

(I could not finish this post in time to publish. I'll finish it for the trade, I promise.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I read that Beach Blanket Bad Guys special and came across the worst line since "my stomach sinks down to my testicles."