Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Duct Tape posted:

Just completed my first full game of 40k!

My Adeptus Mechanicus vs ANAmal.net's graciously provided Astartes played by a friend

Not only did we mess up rules, but I only had about 1040 points of units ready to field (including my very incomplete Belisarius Cawl), so we had to start of with some last-minute unit shuffling to get things to even out. We also shrunk the table by a bit to handle the smaller army sizes, which in retrospective was maybe not the best idea.

Round 1
Astartes started off my slowly shuffling up the board, missing every shot other than a single hit on a Dunecrawler for 4 damage. Forgetting about deep strike (or whatever it's called) is really punishing (he even told me the other day that deep striking was his plan, and we both completely forgot about it). He was able to complete Area Denial fairly easily for 3VP.

On my turned I managed to wipe out a squad of Terminators by the clever tactic of misreading my Skitarii's Plasma Calivers as Plasma Culverins. Didn't actually catch that mistake until Turn 2, so we couldn't rewind that one. I completed First Blood, No Prisoners, and Supremacy for a total of 5VP right off the bat.

Round 2
The Astartes were on their a-game by unloading and offing 4 Skitarii and only dealing a few damage to my Dunecrawler, which was quickly repaired by Belisarius.

I charged in with my Dragoons and cleaned up a few more Terminators, and took out his Land Raider. I was dealt, and managed to score over the next two turns, the objectives Defending Objective 2 and Securing Objective 5 for another 3VP.

Round 3
Belial was able to reach melee and swiftly destroyed one Dragoon, causing it to explode and deal a damage to the other. He did manage to finish off a unit of Skitarii, completing No Prisoners for 1VP.

On my turn I tabled him, getting Slay the Warlord, Kingslayer, and Glood & Guts for 3VP.

Final Score: 11VP Admech vs 4VP Astartes
Mistakes: Plenty
Final Thoughts: Caliver != Culverin; Deep Strike is a thing
Drinks: Dos Equis, Cider, Old Fashions

Goddamn I love Tablehammer.

Amazon boxes and random household trash is unironically better terrain than 85% of the stuff you see on real tables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

DrPop posted:

This looks great, which paints did you use for it?

Thanks.

Gold is Retributor Gold, seraphim sepia, runefang steel
Purple is xereus, drakenhof wash, genestealer, fulgrim pink.
Blues are Thousand sons, drakenhof, baharoth, ulthuan grey.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

jadebullet posted:

I find that the Aggressors look pretty cool in person. It's a shame the flamer variant is so worthless.

They are pretty close to the marines in Starship Troopers imo, which is pretty cool. Shame they don't carry nukes though.

I feel like Aggressors is what they were trying to do when the created the Crusaders. I could see the flame ones useful if you were playing Salamanders, but not otherwise. I just build my 6 with the bolt storm gauntlets and frag launchers. They're the next thing on my paint table I think.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

LMAO

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

explain this to me.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
So is it a study case in how to make an affordable, engaging side game and how not to between Kill Team and Titanicus?

Good lord, $60 just for the rulebook.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Hihohe posted:

explain this to me.

They are saying up front that there will be a second print run of the box set but not until next year.

It's basically telling retailers to tell their customers :siren:Preorder this is you want it because if not you might be waiting a year to get it.:siren:

Also my lol at that price.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

darnon posted:

So is it a study case in how to make an affordable, engaging side game and how not to between Kill Team and Titanicus?

Part of it has to be that Kill Team is aimed at the casual 40k player and intro gamer who they think they can get to jump from something like Infinity, while Titanicus is for the Bulbasaurs, Hencoes, and Hixsons of the world who spend $200 a week on resin bits that they pour milk over and eat for breakfast.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

darnon posted:

It does also come with templates, dice, measurers, cards, tokens etc.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I just can't imagine them selling many copies at $290. That is holy-poo poo level of pricing.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Deified Data posted:

Goddamn I love Tablehammer.

Amazon boxes and random household trash is unironically better terrain than 85% of the stuff you see on real tables.

You'll love my Kill Team game this weekend, then.

I don't have terrain, the shop apparently didn't, and my friend didn't assemble is terrain from the starter box. But we had lots of dice on hand, so...

(we hadn't finished setting up at this point)

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

There goes any interest from me. I think shipping from the uk would be cheaper at current exchange rates too.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

They are saying up front that there will be a second print run of the box set but not until next year.

It's basically telling retailers to tell their customers :siren:Preorder this is you want it because if not you might be waiting a year to get it.:siren:

Also my lol at that price.

Or if it tanks, no second printing at all haha

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Felime posted:

There goes any interest from me. I think shipping from the uk would be cheaper at current exchange rates too.

Don't worry. When Brexit kicks in I have no doubt we'll be investing in GW products to barter with colonials for food and medicine.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

darnon posted:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer-40000-rulebook-eng-2017

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
As Kirioth brought up today on his channel, the worst part of the AT pricetag is not necessarily how steep it is but how steep it is for models and terrain that literally cannot be used in any other game system.

Sab669 posted:

You'll love my Kill Team game this weekend, then.

I don't have terrain, the shop apparently didn't, and my friend didn't assemble is terrain from the starter box. But we had lots of dice on hand, so...

(we hadn't finished setting up at this point)

That is indeed a very powerful set-up.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

Yessssssss... weed out the filthy poors

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

As Kirioth brought up today on his channel, the worst part of the AT pricetag is not necessarily how steep it is but how steep it is for models and terrain that literally cannot be used in any other game system.
Ok, seriously, what is with this line of reasoning and why is it so pervasive all of a sudden? I've seen it from a few people now and it's dumb as heck. Are people saying the same thing about Blood Bowl? Age of Sigmar? I can't use my marines in Necromunda so I guess they suck now. All my Dropzone Commander models are just trash because I can't play them in 40k.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Blood Bowl, AoS, LotR, Necromunda have sick kitbashing potential, and your Space Marines can be used in 40k, Horus Heresy, Kill Team, Calth, etc..

I guess I don't know what purpose a bunch of Squat Knights are going to serve when enthusiasm for this system dies (which may be sooner rather than later given the buy-in price), besides being nice decorations. Not pointless, necessarily, but you catch my drift. I guess it opens up a lot of potential for Knight kitbashes using the Warlords?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Deified Data posted:

GW used to put up 'one-click bundles' on their website containing all of the new products for that release window. It had no discount and the idea was roundly (and rightfully) mocked. I think it's hilarious that the time they make a discounted bundle box containing everything from this release window, and people still aren't happy.

Also any group interested in buying this will have people dying to break out their old Epic: Armageddon stuff to use with these new modern titans & buildings.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Safety Factor posted:

Ok, seriously, what is with this line of reasoning and why is it so pervasive all of a sudden? I've seen it from a few people now and it's dumb as heck. Are people saying the same thing about Blood Bowl? Age of Sigmar? I can't use my marines in Necromunda so I guess they suck now. All my Dropzone Commander models are just trash because I can't play them in 40k.

Because with Kill Team you can. That's all. If GW hadn't just released a relatively cheap game that can let you repurpose your old models, then no one would care that you can't use a Titan in another game. Though I think they would still care about the $300 price tag. Yikes!

That said, given the size of a AT Warlord is only a little smaller than an Imperial Knight, I could see re-purposing one into a Knight...especially into one of the goofy Forge World ones that no one really knows what they look like anyway.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Ghazk posted:

Yessssssss... weed out the filthy poors

30k Mk II

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

jng2058 posted:

Because with Kill Team you can. That's all. If GW hadn't just released a relatively cheap game that can let you repurpose your old models, then no one would care that you can't use a Titan in another game. Though I think they would still care about the $300 price tag. Yikes!

That said, given the size of a AT Warlord is only a little smaller than an Imperial Knight, I could see re-purposing one into a Knight...especially into one of the goofy Forge World ones that no one really knows what they look like anyway.

Yeah. I think dreadnought sized warlords would have been a lot better. Making the starter box 290 bucks is a massive barrier to entry, and the scale is probably the main driver of that.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Extremely hyped for this.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
If any UK goons want to start a business shipping "gifts" of warhams out of the eurozone I'd be happy to make it worth your while.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Deified Data posted:

I have some 6mm terrain for historicals that will go great for AT. I’m extremely looking forward to combining it with the buildings from the box I’m going to get, because the game looks good.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

xtothez posted:

They're pretty big.

I think there's a lot to be said for splitting the GME box with friends or on ebay. Knowing about upcoming releases, how many people really want to own two Warlords as opposed to getting Reavers / Warhounds / other Knight variants? Plus if you're on a budget, prefer to use cheaper railway / cardstock terrain or have some at a local store / club, why keep the buildings in the box?

If you can pick up the big set for about ~£150 and sell on the buildings and a Warlord, you still have the rules, counters and start of a decent army for under £100.

OK that's a little better, I thought they were between box dread and Contemptor sized. Still, 300 bucks is a rough pill. At least it'll be easy to avoid for a little while.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This whole thing just makes me think of the King Cobra golf club they priced at $1200 just to test whether you could charge that for a golf club. Turns out you could.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I have some 6mm terrain for historicals that will go great for AT. I’m extremely looking forward to combining it with the buildings from the box I’m going to get, because the game looks good.

I got the Dropzone Commander terrain box, a coupleof mdf kits and all the buildings from Epic 2nd ed, so I am sorted to cover a 6 by 4 with urban stuff.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

JBP posted:

This whole thing just makes me think of the King Cobra golf club they priced at $1200 just to test whether you could charge that for a golf club. Turns out you could.

$300 strikes me as one of the lower bars to entry for a GW game- one of the highest value boxes up until now was Calth, which was ~1k points of HH for about $125 after discounts. This one will be ~$250ish after FLG markdowns and get you probably the equivalent of a 2k army, but also enough terrain to make a battlefield and all the rules and accessories you need to play.

It would have been nice to have a lower price point “start collecting” box with no rulebook, less models and no terrain to ramp into an army, but the value represented in the grand master box seems pretty good all things considered.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Oof, at that price point it is a hard pass. I will probably pick up the Warlord at some point just to paint it, but there is not going to be much of a player base for AT in my area if Necromunda was any indicator.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Surprising absolutely no one, my game club and I already have an order prepped for 8 of the boxed sets.

Get out, poors.

*Chugs juice from a hollowed out Warlord head*

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

jadebullet posted:

Oof, at that price point it is a hard pass. I will probably pick up the Warlord at some point just to paint it, but there is not going to be much of a player base for AT in my area if Necromunda was any indicator.

Pretty much this.

Around hear Kill Team has been absolutely flying off the shelf. The local store I was at yesterday can't keep the boxes in stock. Despite going like gang busters, there are presently zero organized local events for it. I'm not likeling the chances for a new game system which requires terrain on a different scale than everything else. Unless you've got a rich friend whose going to buy the terrain, or a gaming club that decides to commit to it, it seems hard to justify the large buy in.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 6, 2018

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

$300 strikes me as one of the lower bars to entry for a GW game- one of the highest value boxes up until now was Calth, which was ~1k points of HH for about $125 after discounts. This one will be ~$250ish after FLG markdowns and get you probably the equivalent of a 2k army, but also enough terrain to make a battlefield and all the rules and accessories you need to play.

It would have been nice to have a lower price point “start collecting” box with no rulebook, less models and no terrain to ramp into an army, but the value represented in the grand master box seems pretty good all things considered.

From what people were saying in Discord earlier you get half to 2/3rds of an army.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm sure they'll do a start collecting or some variation later. I'm talking more that they're pushing out pretty hard on what kind of money people are willing to drop on a new standalone game box.

This is a very expensive box that is not compatible with your other investments is my only thought. I raised the golf club because it was revealed later to be a really cynical test of their customers willingness to part with cash in one hit.

E: I'm not saying that's what this is, I'm just saying they've gone big on it and the limited run attests to FW wondering how it's going to go.

JBP fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 6, 2018

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Broken Record Talk posted:

Surprising absolutely no one, my game club and I already have an order prepped for 8 of the boxed sets.

Get out, poors.

*Chugs juice from a hollowed out Warlord head*

My FLGS has 50 :retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

From what people were saying in Discord earlier you get half to 2/3rds of an army.

That still seems like a great deal and offhand I can’t think of a box set or sets that gets you further along than that.

A 40k army is generally about $500 to get to 2k-ish points and that’s using lots of start collecting boxes and not accounting for rules or terrain.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

TheChirurgeon posted:

Part of it has to be that Kill Team is aimed at the casual 40k player and intro gamer who they think they can get to jump from something like Infinity, while Titanicus is for the Bulbasaurs, Hencoes, and Hixsons of the world who spend $200 a week on resin bits that they pour milk over and eat for breakfast.

I grind it into a fine powder and snort it thank you very much. :colbert:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
The grand master box at $290 builds about 1500 points, has all the rules, and has some terrain. Add one more warlord for $110 to bring you up to $400 total and you've hit 2k.

A 2000 point 40k army (one BA detachment, one IG detachment, one castellan, 2 helverins) is $475, and includes 0 terrain or rules.

Yes, you can get started in 40k for cheaper, and I'd hope that in a few months there will be cheaper starter options for titanicus. But it just doesn't make any sense to say titanicus costs too much, when it appears to be priced similarly or cheaper than 40k, just with each model costing more and you needing fewer of them.

It's probably not enough terrain for a full table, but no other starter box for a non-skirmish game has had enough for a full table, and 6/8/10mm terrain is pretty available and cheap, since it doesn't need as much detail as 28mm terrain. If you've got a gaming club then a couple people all pitching their terrain into a communal collection will give you enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

lmao