Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM
That makes sense, I’ll listen to the injectors and see if any of the ticking patterns sound irregular. Is there any merit in using fuel injector cleaner?

When I bought it there was a code for the downstream O2 sensor (low voltage), I replaced both and no codes have come back so far.

The throttle snap thing is tipping in - I moved to a smog state and am new to the whole thing, the smog station I went to failed it on a “BAR snap test” where they punch the throttle to get a quick ~2,500RPM rev and look for any visible smoke at the tailpipe.

I’ve been tempted to play my luck with a less “official” smog place, some of the places have reviews that indicate they’ll pass just about anything. But if there’s an actual problem and especially if it’s fixable without something crazy, I’d rather fix it than get a “pass” and drive around belching unburned fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Cellular Suicide posted:

That makes sense, I’ll listen to the injectors and see if any of the ticking patterns sound irregular. Is there any merit in using fuel injector cleaner?

I was thinking that you may have one that's leaking even when it's supposed to be closed. Would explain the fuel pressure bleed off, too. Might explain the high idle and surgey stuff as well. Is there any way to adjust the idle speed (idle screw)?

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM
I listened to each of the injectors while idling and while slowly tipping in the throttle - the ticking was strong and consistent with the same pattern between them all. I’m not sure if this would tell me if one was leaking though, if it’s correctly sending the open and close signals but not shutting completely.

I don’t see an adjustable idle, if vwvortex is to be trusted the idle is computer controlled.

This 2.0 layout has the intake manifold right over the spark plugs and fuel injectors, so I don’t think I can pull the whole rail and test them while turning the engine over. If I disconnect each one and somehow rig a pressurized liquid feed to it, can I feed it 12v pulses and see if it cuts off fuel completely?

I want to rule out the fuel return line by disconnecting it at the FPR and hooking up a drain to driveway test, but I’m not sure if the FPR will act worse without a pressurized fuel return line. I might just throw an FPR at it to rule it out as a last resort before taking it to a mechanic

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Have you tried throwing a crankcase/rpm sensor at it?

Before mine died enough to throw a code/raise the idle to 1200 the idle had a similar faint stumble feeling, and changing it fixed a whole bunch of minor issues that I have had all the time I had the car and just assumed was age- not saying its the issue but if its the factory sensor swapping it out might make a difference somewhere.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Does anyone know what the lifespan of ignition coils tends to be on a Jetta? I’m going to replace my spark plugs because I’m getting misfires on the 2 and 4 cylinders but I’m wondering if I should just do both the plug and coil at the same time.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dudeabides posted:

Does anyone know what the lifespan of ignition coils tends to be on a Jetta? I’m going to replace my spark plugs because I’m getting misfires on the 2 and 4 cylinders but I’m wondering if I should just do both the plug and coil at the same time.

What generation? On the mk4 1.8t the lifespan of the coil packs was about 20 minutes.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Dudeabides posted:

If its the 1.8t then the revised oem coils are good but just keep a few in the boot- swapping them can be done in seconds once you know what you are doing.

For some models there were recalls on the wiring harness for the coils and for coils themselves- might be worth calling vw and checking to see if it qualifies/been done already.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Anyone use a pedalbox? The delay from a dead stop on my GTI is pretty annoying and I was thinking of trying out the DTE or CPA versions.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Styles Bitchley posted:

Anyone use a pedalbox? The delay from a dead stop on my GTI is pretty annoying and I was thinking of trying out the DTE or CPA versions.

Do you have the auto DSG gearbox? It's part of it's charm if so and changing throttle response will probably be not helpful at best, and piss off the DSG in expensive ways at worst. I've never done any homework on them, but seems useless. You can, however, have a reputable shop flash a new program into the DSG that's supposed to be somewhat helpful.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

fknlo posted:

What generation? On the mk4 1.8t the lifespan of the coil packs was about 20 minutes.

If the 1.8t seemed like 20 minutes, the 2.0t seemed like 2 minutes... maybe it was just the BPY 2.0t I had in my jetta, but screw that thing. Never had issues in the 1.8t in my Audi A4.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

fknlo posted:

It's a Mk V 2.5 engine

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Dudeabides posted:

It's a Mk V 2.5 engine

I was getting misfires on my Mk V 2.5 Rabbit S at 40k miles but replacing just the plugs cleared it right up.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM
Follow up on my lovely Golf, I brought it to a local shop and they diagnosed it as a pre-O2 leak in the exhaust manifold. The dude who looked at it also said it was a pretty tired motor and he wouldn’t be surprised if it keeps smoking even after fixing the exhaust, and wasn’t that hopeful about doing anything to the manifold. Next time I’ll probably spend the $99 on a PPI even for a cheap beater. He didn’t run a compression test and is going based on the amount of carbon in the cylinders.

Definitely not going to throw a new manifold or new motor in, but I’m going to pull the heat shield and see what the leak looks like. If it’s a small crack or some pinholes I might try some exhaust-specific putty or something, otherwise car-part has them around $100. I’m halfway between that and a really thorough seafoam for a smog Hail Mary, or giving up on it. Might as well try, right? :downsgun:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Depends if it's a crack or just needs a gasket in there. Probably a crack given the age. There's probably some dirt cheap and lovely ebay "header" you can put on there that will fit terrible but maybe seal if it's cracked. If the crack is in a reasonable spot that can be booger welded, just take it to an exhaust shop and see if they will lay some beads on it.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
So I'm still loving the poo poo out of my 2008 Rabbit/Golf/Whatever, but I'm hitting the blower resistor problem. After I burned out the first once, I replaced it and the new one lasted about a week. Okay, the problem was probably upstream anyway. Exchanged it, popped the newest one in and replaced the cabin air filter, but still get the same "burning electronics" smell that signaled the doom of the last one after only a few minutes on settings 1-3. Pulled out the blower motor and did the "carb cleaner and WD-40" trick, but it didn't seem to make the fan move any smoother, and had no effect on the amount of time before I start to get the Death Smell.

I'll probably have to replace the motor, but is there anything else I should try first? I'm also a little overwhelmed at the choices here - I'm pretty suspicious of the $35 ones on Amazon with no reviews, but that's literally 10% the cost of an OEM one. ECS Tuning lists them for $90-$200, but they differentiate between "vehicles with Climatic (Semi Automatic) climate control" and "vehicles with Climatronic (Automatic) climate control"... and I don't know which one I have.

Suggestions? Buy 8 different Amazon cheap ones and bask in the money I saved?

EDIT - So it looks like Climatronic isn't a thing for my era... so I shouldn't worry about it for anything that doesn't say it, right? :ohdear:

After The War fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 17, 2018

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I just picked up a 2018 S5 Sportback to replace my 2013 S4. It’s a really nice car. I don’t know if it’s my imagination but it actually feels smoother than the S4; like even when I have drive select set to Dynamic (I have the sport differential, adjustable shocks, etc) it feels smoother than the S4.

The 8 speed ZF transmission is really nice. It can shift fast and hard when you want but it’s a lot more pleasant in stop and go traffic or when you’re driving slowly.

The stop and go cruise control is great too. My S4 has automatic cruise control but it would deactivate below 30 mph. The S5 will take the car to a complete stop and start to drive again when the car in front of it moves. It’ll also steer itself if the lane markers are clear.

Anyway, all in all it’s a fantastic car. I didn’t think I would like it as much as I do.

edit - The exhaust is a lot louder than the S4 in dynamic mode. On the S4 dynamic model just changed the volume on the soundaktor. With B9 S4/S5 the exhaust is valved and dynamic mode opens the valves. On start up in dynamic mode you get some nice pops and snaps and it’s considerably louder at idle with a really nice burble.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 19, 2018

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Mr. Apollo posted:

I just picked up a 2018 S5 Sportback to replace my 2013 S4. It’s a really nice car. I don’t know if it’s my imagination but it actually feels smoother than the S4; like even when I have drive select set to Dynamic (I have the sport differential, adjustable shocks, etc) it feels smoother than the S4.

The 8 speed ZF transmission is really nice. It can shift fast and hard when you want but it’s a lot more pleasant in stop and go traffic or when you’re driving slowly.

The stop and go cruise control is great too. My S4 has automatic cruise control but it would deactivate below 30 mph. The S5 will take the car to a complete stop and start to drive again when the car in front of it moves. It’ll also steer itself if the lane markers are clear.

Anyway, all in all it’s a fantastic car. I didn’t think I would like it as much as I do.

edit - The exhaust is a lot louder than the S4 in dynamic mode. On the S4 dynamic model just changed the volume on the soundaktor. With B9 S4/S5 the exhaust is valved and dynamic mode opens the valves. On start up in dynamic mode you get some nice pops and snaps and it’s considerably louder at idle with a really nice burble.

Sounds sweet. Lets see some pics!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I’ll get some pics tomorrow, it’s in my garage for the night.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I'll never forgive audi for taking away the manual option >:(

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

flightless greeb posted:

I'll never forgive audi for taking away the manual option >:(
They're taking away the no charge manual option on the 2019 A4 and A5. They said globally the uptake on the manual was less than 5%.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
I'm trying to do an oil change on my girlfriends 2018 Tiguan SEL that just rolled over 5,000 miles. I'm having trouble finding solid information about some of VW's Oil Standards and where I could purchase those oils. The manual says VW Oil Spec 508 00 which is 0w-20, and the sticker under the hood confirms that. I found [url="https:////www.somethingawful.com"]this TSB[/url] which lists Casterol Edge Long Life IV as 508 compliant but I can't seem to find it locally. Does anyone know any other 508 compliant oils you could purchase from Amazon or other local retailers? The manual doesn't list a part number for the oil filter either. Is it a cartridge unit or a traditional traditional spin on? Amazon is showing cartridge filters, specifically Fram CH11784.

Never though I would be asking an oil change related question but here I am.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I buy 5 qt. jugs of Mobile 1 "European Formula" from Walmart. Cheapest oil I've found. Like $22.50/jug around here.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah if you go into a walmart or parts store or whatever the standards an oil meets will be on the label. castrol edge or mobil 1 for example should be fine. And then autozone should have mann cartridge filters for it.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Advance is running a deal right now where 5qts Mobil 1 + Mobil 1 filter is cheaper than 5qts Mobil 1. That was a pleasant surprise when I changed the oil in my wife's hoopty this morning.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Diametunim posted:

Never though I would be asking an oil change related question but here I am.

For my GTI that drinks unicorn blood (5w40) I buy it online. Local walmarts here didn't have much and the euro blend doesn't meet the spec for me. They say you can use 5w30 but I'd rather give it the right spec stuff.

Shopdap usually has VW stuff pretty well covered, but shop around since amazon might be cheaper.

https://www.shopdap.com/make-model-...052-577-m2.html

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

A couple of quick photos I took this afternoon. I was seriously considering the RS 5 Sportback but at the end of the day I couldn't bring myself to pay $100K (once you start checking the options) for it (almost a 50% premium over the S5).

Nermal.
Mar 16, 2003

Hello!
A dude just sold me 4 almost new OEM S5 Peelers (the wider 19x9 concave ones... not the flat 8.5s that come with S4s) for $350 total. With Michelin Pilots.

What an idiot.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Nermal. posted:

A dude just sold me 4 almost new OEM S5 Peelers (the wider 19x9 concave ones... not the flat 8.5s that come with S4s) for $350 total. With Michelin Pilots.

What an idiot.

They were probably stolen. Or if they weren't, you did now.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Mr. Apollo posted:

A couple of quick photos I took this afternoon. I was seriously considering the RS 5 Sportback but at the end of the day I couldn't bring myself to pay $100K (once you start checking the options) for it (almost a 50% premium over the S5).

Looks great! Still mad there's a 4 door S5 but whatever lol

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

flightless greeb posted:

Looks great! Still mad there's a 4 door S5 but whatever lol
They're learning from Mercedes and BMW with their "4 door coupes".

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
I've got a 2015 s3 that I've had for a couple years (read: still under the cpo warranty). I'm kinda interested in getting a tune and a couple parts swapped out. I saw APR has an option where they'll cover the powertrain for a couple hundred extra bucks. Is this all a dumb idea? Never messed with the ecu on my previous cars.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

A Man With A Plan posted:

I've got a 2015 s3 that I've had for a couple years (read: still under the cpo warranty). I'm kinda interested in getting a tune and a couple parts swapped out. I saw APR has an option where they'll cover the powertrain for a couple hundred extra bucks. Is this all a dumb idea? Never messed with the ecu on my previous cars.

Not answering your question, but can you write a little bit about your experience with the '15 S3? Have you enjoyed it, would you make the same decision again, etc? Did you buy a 1-year used model?

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
The APR tune with a warranty is extremely weak.

Get a JB4 and call it a day if you are worried about warranty. I have one from my R that I haven't gotten around to selling yet...

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

joe944 posted:

The APR tune with a warranty is extremely weak.

Get a JB4 and call it a day if you are worried about warranty. I have one from my R that I haven't gotten around to selling yet...

Yeah. I'm in a position where I could handle something going wrong, otherwise I wouldn't be considering it at all. I should probably just buck up and do it. Thanks for the input.

Something Offal posted:

Not answering your question, but can you write a little bit about your experience with the '15 S3? Have you enjoyed it, would you make the same decision again, etc? Did you buy a 1-year used model?

Yes, 1 year used, got it CPO with about 7k miles on it. It's been a fantastic car! A lot of fun to drive, very reliable so far. Handles great too, maybe a little light on feedback. The traction control is almost a little too good. I haven't experimented with throwing it around corners with the traction control lowered/off, but when it's it'll just calmly, politely understeer until it gets grip back. Admittedly I'm still under 30k miles so plenty of time to go wrong, but no regrets yet. My only complaints are that the standard drive mode has a very non-linear response, so the first couple inches of pedal travel barely do anything, then you hit a kick-down point and all of a sudden it's going hard. So I normally leave it in sport mode, though that has its own weird bits too. Like even under moderate to low acceleration, it'll hold onto 2nd gear up to like, 5500rpm. This is one of the things that I've read an ECU+TCU tune can address though.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

2016 Jetta 1.4 reads "Err" when moving above 30mph after oil change and jump start

Edit: phone posting sorry

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

All of a sudden my dashboard display is showing this symbol and dashes after I start moving faster than 5 mph (not the service warning). Anyone know what it’s indicating?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That symbol looks like cruise control symbols I've seen in other cars.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

Uthor posted:

That symbol looks like cruise control symbols I've seen in other cars.

Yep! I'm an idiot and really don't use cruise control so it didn't register to me that the switch had been flipped to the 'On' position on the stalk.

I was detailing my car this weekend and must have not looked when I was wiping it down.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Hey VW thread. My brother has a 2008 GTI with about 80k miles on it. He's had it since 2010 and 20k miles.

He just got the class action notice on the timing chain, but he's past the 10 year warranty extension.

How common are timing chain / tensioner failures, and is replacing just the tensioner with the updated version sufficient, or do I need to go deeper? What about the bridge, is that a "while you're in there" thing?

Edit: I just checked with him... it's an '09, not an '08, so he's still covered by the warranty extension... probably just enough room for him to sell it before he has to deal with it. :D

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

My 2016 Jettas radio will noticeably get quieter and have much worse audio output quality if I roll the front windows down. Is that fixable?