Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dragonatrix posted:

Has anyone asked him if he is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn9UgfRH0Pk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Onmi posted:

You know what really bugs me about the anime filler? Because of how Tsuyu passed, that means she now has a less-cool pass than Mineta. Mineta actively contributes to ensuring the entire class passes, while Tsuyu is literally carried to victory. There is no justice in this world

Except that they weren't scored on the first part of the exam. The government agency had already decided to focus on teams and team building, that was why the exam was structured that way. Didn't matter if someone got carried through the first part since that meant that they were part of a team strong enough as a whole to pass.

Their scoring occurs in the second part and that's where Tsuyu really shined. They don't reveal her ultimate score but considering she goes camo and knocks out a large group of villains (ch 113) as well as actively took part in the rescue of all the civilians (chapter 111 "We're not done rescuing this area but... it's not like we can pretend we didn't just see that...") I bet her final score was higher even then Midoriya's. He having lost a lot of points for stopping to say that sucks when told about the trapped grandfather as well as not checking on that kid's headwound immediately.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Tsuyu ended up with a near perfect score considering her roles in all phases of the second exam. Momo got a 94 yet she wasn't seen doing anything to slow down gang orca (she is shown carrying a HUC victim away from the fight).

Rouncer fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 6, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rouncer posted:

Except that they weren't scored on the first part of the exam. The government agency had already decided to focus on teams and team building, that was why the exam was structured that way. Didn't matter if someone got carried through the first part since that meant that they were part of a team strong enough as a whole to pass.

Their scoring occurs in the second part and that's where Tsuyu really shined. They don't reveal her ultimate score but considering she goes camo and knocks out a large group of villains (ch 113) as well as actively took part in the rescue of all the civilians (chapter 111 "We're not done rescuing this area but... it's not like we can pretend we didn't just see that...") I bet her final score was higher then Midoriya's. He having lost a lot of points for stopping to say that sucks when told about the trapped grandfather as well as not checking on that kid's headwound immediately.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Tsuyu ended up with a near perfect score considering her roles in all phases of the second exam. Momo got a 94 yet she wasn't seen doing anything to slow down gang orca (she is shown carrying a HUC victim away from the fight).

What the hell does scoring have to do with Mineta for an instant being cooler than Tsuyu is? Who the gently caress cares if she got 100 billion%. In the end, Mineta directly came to the aid of and assisted 8 other members of his class pass the first exam, and Tsuyu was literally carried through it in a bundle. Mineta was cooler than Tsuyu. If you don't have a problem with the fact Mineta was cooler than Tsuyu, that's fine. I do.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Im sorry the guy you dont like was cool.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
In the USJA arc, Mineta was cornerstone of the plan to defeat the water villains, while Tsuyu just hopped around and almost got killed.
In Sport Festival arc, Mineta and Tsuyu were part of same team that Mineta came up with.
In Final Exams, Tsuyu got captured, threw up and won on technicality, while Mineta won 1v1 against a teacher and then carried his teammate through finish line, literaly soloing the exam.

The truth is, Mineta was always cooler than Tsuyu.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 6, 2018

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Mineta is a good hero but a gross person

Insightful commentary on the duality of man

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

Mineta is a good hero but a gross person

Insightful commentary on the duality of man

The Endeavour of thirst

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Tsuyu is the Britta of UA

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Lt. Lizard posted:

In the USJA arc, Mineta was cornerstone of the plan to defeat the water villains, while Tsuyu just hopped around and almost got killed.
In Sport Festival arc, Mineta and Tsuyu were part of same team that Mineta came up with.
In Final Exams, Tsuyu got captured, threw up and won on technicality, while Mineta won 1v1 against a teacher and then carried his teammate through finish line, literaly soloing the exam.

hmm, this math all checks out

tsuyu is objectively and factually less cool than the token perv

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Agronox posted:

gently caress yeah

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Agronox posted:

You know when the show started I thought Tsuyu was smarter than me.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Agronox posted:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Agronox posted:

Context for some of us less learned in anime/manga?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

symbolic posted:

Context for some of us less learned in anime/manga?

It’s a joke. I am actually pro-Tsuyu.

Britta is from the live action show Community from some years back, who started out as kinda smart and somewhat on top of things but by season 3 was the biggest idiot on the show barring Chevy Chase.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Agronox posted:

It’s a joke. I am actually pro-Tsuyu.

Britta is from the live action show Community from some years back, who started out as kinda smart and somewhat on top of things but by season 3 was the biggest idiot on the show barring Chevy Chase.

The show, in addition, decided that the character was funnier as just a massive fuckup to the point where people would use her name as a synonym for loving up.

That sounds bad but she was really boring before so it honestly worked. I really liked that show.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah she started out as a campus activist who says all the right things and has everything all worked out and then they decided to turn her into a parody of it after like season 1

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Agronox posted:

Well alright, I'm also unlearned in T.V. shows too apparently. Thanks.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eej posted:

Yeah she started out as a campus activist who says all the right things and has everything all worked out and then they decided to turn her into a parody of it after like season 1

They also made a running gag out of other characters calling her the worst. (The opposite of Batman! The AT&T of people!)

If I remember right, she was kind of disliked early on, so they played into it by having the characters agree. It's not a guaranteed trick to make the audience like a character they hated, but it works better than most of the alternatives.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I just started watching Community last week so I'm glad I could understand that reference!

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
edit: tsuyu is worse than britta, until some girl does something of real function in the story that beats out mineta I will constantly scream that all of them just twiddle their thumbs in revealing clothes talking about how unsure of themselves they are (except mei and mina) and i guess uraraka who's already shipped to someone and wants money lmfao

drjuggalo fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 6, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Didn’t Toga utterly gently caress up Overhaul’s planning just last arc

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

drjuggalo posted:

edit: tsuyu is worse than britta, until some girl does something of real function in the story that beats out mineta I will constantly scream that all of them just twiddle their thumbs in revealing clothes talking about how unsure of themselves they are (except mei and mina) and i guess uraraka who's already shipped to someone and wants money lmfao

Mineta is honestly one the students with the strongest focus and has definitely done more than most of the characters outside of the core cast (other than Momo and Kirishima, maybe Aoyama). Implying Uraraka's a bad character because she is poor and wants money for her family is real loving dumb though.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 6, 2018

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Mineta also has objectively one of the strongest abilities in the class. His orbs can do area denial, seal movement, cushion impacts, and allow him to easily climb areas. Until we see anyone actually overcome their adhesion Mineta will always find a way to make himself useful regardless of how disgusting of a gnome he is.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
really the only girls with revealing costumes are Momo and Hagekure, and the latter is invisible

In the drawn/animated form bodysuits look less revealing than stuff that shows actual skin. In real life this is obviously not the case, but still.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I think Hagekure's inclusion is the worst Horny Inclusion in the comic tbh

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lt. Lizard posted:

This is somewhat disingenuous, given that Tsuyu saved Deku and Mineta's lives and kicked a shark villain in the face at USJ. They literally would have been fish food without her. She also pulled Tokoyami out of danger in the exams, and similarly helped Uraraka during the school trip. (And also had to be helped by them herself, but, teamwork and such is A Thing in this series.) And, as underwhelming as Horikoshi made it when the flashback revealed how it actually went down, she worked with Uraraka to beat up that one dude and came to Deku's rescue by breaking a hole in the ceiling.

Meanwhile, Mineta spent all of USJ crying and had to be talked into contributing rather than giving up and waiting for death, and while it was a legit victory would have lost during the finals immediately if Sero hadn't sacrificed himself to save him, much like how he would have died at USJ if not for Tsuyu. I think he cried there too, actually. Then at the school trip he did literally nothing except try to perv on the girls, and has not been relevant since outside of gags and being a pervert. Like when he tried to creep on the six year old.

Mineta was never, ever cool.

Edit: Him being all "we have such sights to show you" during the dorm thing was legitimately funny, to be fair, as was the joke about his arms being too short for him to play guitar during the cultural festival. His presence in the latter was still overall a net negative though, between his perviness just being an accepted thing now by the other students and him, again, perving on the six year old girl.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 6, 2018

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I also like "Tsuyu won on a technicality" when she won with an explicitly given method of winning.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

This is somewhat disingenuous, given that Tsuyu saved Deku and Mineta's lives and kicked a shark villain in the face at USJ. They literally would have been fish food without her. She also pulled Tokoyami out of danger in the exams, and similarly helped Uraraka during the school trip. (And also had to be helped by them herself, but, teamwork and such is A Thing in this series.) And, as underwhelming as Horikoshi made it when the flashback revealed how it actually went down, she worked with Uraraka to beat up that one dude and came to Deku's rescue by breaking a hole in the ceiling.

Meanwhile, Mineta spent all of USJ crying and had to be talked into contributing rather than giving up and waiting for death, and while it was a legit victory would have lost during the finals immediately if Sero hadn't sacrificed himself to save him, much like how he would have died at USJ if not for Tsuyu. I think he cried there too, actually. Then at the school trip he did literally nothing except try to perv on the girls, and has not been relevant since outside of gags and being a pervert. Like when he tried to creep on the six year old.

Mineta was never, ever cool.

Edit: Him being all "we have such sights to show you" during the dorm thing was legitimately funny, to be fair, as was the joke about his arms being too short for him to play guitar during the cultural festival. His presence in the latter was still overall a net negative though, between his perviness just being an accepted thing now by the other students and him, again, perving on the six year old girl.

SpacePig posted:

I also like "Tsuyu won on a technicality" when she won with an explicitly given method of winning.

Yeah, but she's a cop so those are all null and void.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, but she's a cop so those are all null and void.

So is Mineta. He's a cop to impress and/or molest girls. That's worse.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fabricated posted:

really the only girls with revealing costumes are Momo and Hagekure, and the latter is invisible

In the drawn/animated form bodysuits look less revealing than stuff that shows actual skin. In real life this is obviously not the case, but still.

And Momo's at least makes sense for what her power does kinda?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
They're all cops, you are reading a manga about cops the government sanctions, you are reading a story about children who idolize and want to become cops, about a hero who is so cop that people mostly stopped committing crimes. If you have an issue with the lawful good, cop protagonists, then I'm sorry but this series is not going to bend over backwards as they get officially licensed and governmental powers, a wage, and perform their jobs. Of Being Cops. The villains are all anarchists who want to take down The Man.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Roland Jones posted:

His crying in the finals was deliberate, to get Midnight to chase him rather than parking herself at the exit gate.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

desperately doing algebra to justify liking certain characters

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Stexils posted:

desperately doing algebra to justify liking certain characters

you don't have to be vague, you can call her tsuyu

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I think Hagekure's inclusion is the worst Horny Inclusion in the comic tbh

you're in the wrong part of town motherfucker

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

TheKingofSprings posted:

And Momo's at least makes sense for what her power does kinda?
Most of them make sense really. Tsuyu's is literally just a themed wetsuit. She's almost certainly going to try to work in watery areas. Momo's however fanservicey (her original design looks better IMO despite basically being a thong and overall showing more skin) works for her quirk.

Mina and Jirou's is more of a thematic thing with their actual gear being addons (Mina's special boots, Jirou's various attached amps). Uraraka's is really just kinda dumb looking but she has a lot of addons for controlling her nausea (nevermind that it's homeopathy-tier poo poo like pressure points).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Brother Entropy posted:

you don't have to be vague, you can call her tsuyu

He said character not mascot.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shadowlyger posted:

His crying in the finals was deliberate, to get Midnight to chase him rather than parking herself at the exit gate.

Rereading the chapters, his inner monologue makes it seem like his epiphany, determination, and plan come partway through the test, well after he was bawling his eyes out (between a mix of fear of Midnight and jealousy of Sero), though I suppose it can be taken either way. It's irrelevant to my overall point anyway, which is that pretty much all of Tsuyu's listed "bad points" there can apply to Mineta, and also, well, most of the heroes; everyone's had their rear end pulled out of the fire at least once. If you aren't going to hold it against Mineta that he needed Sero to sacrifice himself to pass the exam, I don't think it's fair to judge Tsuyu for nearly getting murked by Shigaraki, the main villain of the series. (Also, in an amusing coincidence that I just noticed tabbing back over to those pages again, despite that list painting Tsuyu's plan to beat Ectoplasm as a bad thing, Mineta actually wound up vomiting in that arc himself.)

My other main point is that Mineta is disgusting and even his one cool moment, beating Midnight, was lessened by him being a pervert during it, lamenting about how much he wants to touch girls and being jealous of the dude who saved his rear end for lying (unconscious) in their teacher's lap. Between stuff like that and how often he gropes and spies on the girls against their will (such as when he latched onto Momo's rear end during the sports festival) and such, there's no way his future as a professional hero doesn't involve him molesting the female criminals he captures. Also possibly his fans, if he somehow has any. But that isn't exactly a new topic.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 7, 2018

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I think the dumbest part of the newest episode of the anime was the girl who thought Class 1-A would be defeated by a having a doorway between them and one of their teammates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i mean she actually thought she alone would manage to pass because her class environment apparently sucks and is cutthroat and that the other students would leave momo behind

she was surprised that they came through the door not that they could