Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oath Complete!

I'm claiming this month's Getting back to Nature jurnal for the scenic bases for my guns:

Here's how I did them:
Step 1: Using CA++ glue, stick some small, irregular rocks to a 2" metal disc.
Step 2: Using watered down PVA glue, attach some play sand to the disc.
Step 3: Prime with gray Rustoleum spray primer.
Step 4: Paint the sand with thinned VMC Iraqi Sand:

Be a little careful here - you want the paint to be thin enough that it's easy to apply, but if it's too thin you'll actually re-activate your PVA glue and your sand will start to come off. FWIW, this is why I always prime my bases after the sand is applied, as the layer of primer helps to prevent this.

Step 5: Heavily drybrush the sand with VMC Ivory (and don't take pictures of it in direct sunlight, apparently, because it totally blows out the variation)

Step 6: Hit the sand with GW Seraphim Sepia wash. Try to get your coverage irregular to break up uniformity

You can do this by applying a thin coat all-over, then when it's mostly dry, apply a few extra blobs here and there with a big brush. FWIW, I don't thin the wash at all for this step.

Step 7: With a large brush, liberally dab on Vallejo Light Yellow Ochre dry pigment, but only in spots. Again, make your coverage irregular. Fix the pigment in place with odorless mineral spirits

Step 8: Paint the "rocks" VMS US Field Drab.
Step 9: Give the rocks an irregular (in both thickness and coverage) wash of either super-watery VMC Dark Grey or super-watery VMC Russian Uniform (depending on your tastes, I used grey for these but green produces a nice tone that denotes moss or mold on the stone)
Step 10: Give the rocks a heavy drybrush of VMC Green Ochre
Step 11: Lightly drybrush the rocks with VMC Buff
Step 12: Seal lightly with your choice of matte sealer (I used Dull-Cote)
Step 13: Attach grass tufts (I use Green Stuff World 6mm dry grass tufts here) and bushes (Woodland Scenics Light Green foliage clumps) to taste. While the tufts are self-adhesive, I find a drop of PVA glue helps. For the bushes, you'll want to use cyanoacrylate glue, as PVA will make you curse and regret your life choices.

In addition, I am claiming the Daily Double achievement (June's Guns Out for all my shirtless l'il mans and January's Every Step You Take for the work-in-progress photos. Finally, I'ma claim the Recipe for Success achievement for the how-to on my bases.

Just for fun I decided to play some games with skin tones on these guys. It's a little hard to see in the final photos, but the dude on left in the group photo is rockin' a pretty wicked farmer tan. Clearly he's new to North Africa. Here's a shot of him before the MinWax wash was applied that shows it more clearly:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Oath Complete! I even remembered to waterstamp my username in the photos this time!

And since my oath specifically called out magnetizing all their head and weapon options.

I'm not sure if you can claim manual achievements multiple times, but if you can I'm claiming A Recipe for Success with this little mini-guide I made. If not, then enjoy it anyway :)

edit:

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Third Place, 1 point: Duct Tape

An excellent example of red done well (which can be tough). The overall look is slightly dull as fits Martian camouflage, but highlighted with hints of a more fiery red, set off nicely by the bright turquoise plasma glow.

Electric Hobo posted:

Third place, 1 point: Duct Tape

A pretty standard color scheme, but well executed and nicely detailed. Everything looks 3 dimensional and the edge highlight are good.

grassy gnoll posted:

Third place, 1 point: Duct Tape

Good solid reds, nice detailing, and you really got your glowy bits to pop - they look almost fluorescent. I'd like to see this model with some weathering effects and maybe an oil wash to make it maximally Warhammy.
Thanks judges :) I'm still trying different ways of weathering models. When I get to my Kastelan Robots I'll have to dive into that, as I really like the grungy Kastelan look.

Duct Tape fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 29, 2018

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Oath complete

I'm finally getting to the end of my matt varnish - it looks fine in real life, but shiny in photos. I'm just to cheep to bin it and get more!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oath Complete

Despite really liking this sculpt I was not really feeling it when painting so I did a fairly quick and dirty job. Probably because it was transparent red plastic so I didn't notice a lot of mold lines and assembly mistakes until I started painting.

Claiming Getting Back To Nature because those monkeys are clearly wildlife. Fezzes grow wild on the vine in the swamps of Malifaux. Also claiming A Faithful Replica, here's the official art.

Electric Hobo posted:

First place, 3 points: The Moon Monster
Lovely color choices, clear and clean with an underwater feel to it. OSL looks great.

Bonus, 1 point: The Moon Monster
Like I said, the OSL looks great.

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Second Place, 2 points: The Moon Monster
Nice catch! Also very vibrant and eye-catching colors with subtle gradients, and excellent use of contrast on the edges of every armor panel and fin spine. The piece has a texture to it that leaps off the screen.

Wow, thanks! I was pretty proud of how that guy turned out.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016

TheFinalTuba posted:

I, TheFinalTuba, oath to paint 3 Keisotsu for Infinity.

Oath Complete!

A commission for a friend to come. Screw yellow. :p

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Oath dubiously complete!

Apologies for the dogshit picture of the Kataphrons. I'm away from home until Wednesday and I had to finish them in the hotel. I'll update with better pictures when I'm home but I wanted to make sure I got in before month end!

Edit: Have now updated with gallery-ready pictures. I forgot all about the challenge so no point for me, but I'm claiming Take one for the team for the Necron Immortals who are a neat squad of 5.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 2, 2018

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Oath Complete

Wizarding class of '18 being led on a field trip by their old, bald teacher and accompanied by the class familiar. Taking one for the team.

A big, burly Treeman, protector of nature (more specifically the enchanted forest at the school)

When damaged, shed pieces of treeman wood will sometimes retain a spark of sentience, and the wizards turn these into familiars to continue watching over the school. Here the guardian reminisces with the familiar crafted from his first major injury.
(Daily Double - specifically October's Cocktail Mixers for the brown-red-orange-red-brown gradient in the leaves, and December's Hey me, meet the Real Me! for the meeting with the familiar)

Tidied up the desk real nice for Spic and Span.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Oath complete!

This month's nature entry.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Alright. I'm gonna do this and paint some drat neglected minis

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Oath Complete
Low effort photography this month, as I can't be arsed to pack away my painting gear.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Oath Complete!

As per usual I have no end of weird last minute computer issues as I am trying to edit and post a simple picture so here's just the one image. Enjoy!

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Gonna go ahead and say Oath Failed, it's been too hot to paint but thankfully the heat wave is breaking where I am (sympathy for other melty goons).

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
Oath Complete!!

Enjoyed the terrain work this month… claiming Getting Back to Nature as it’s a whole pile of nature

Shown in context of how I was going to use to display

A few pics of progress along the way

Baseline

Loaded up with “Red Devil ONETIME Lightweight Spackling” and starting a dark grey undercoat (mainly poster paints)

Coated with some dark brown washes

Overbrushed and dry brushed with mid-grey, light grey, white

Black, brown, dark grey washes

more grey and light grey dry brushing

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Calling it good. Did a swampy base to go with my Adze's swampfiend nature.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Booyah- posted:

I, Booyah, oath for July:
- 1 skitarii ranger
- 1 blue horror
- The pictured genestealer cult family (2 neophyte hybrids, 1 acolyte hybrid, and 1 purestrain genestealer)

Oath complete!

Claiming Take one for the team for the kill team squad of 4 genestealer cultists and genestealer in the middle.

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 1, 2018

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Oath Complete!

For the nature challenge, each cultist is striding through violently-coloured bracken.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

:goshawk: OATH COMPLETE :goshawk:

That is totally battle damage on the Iron Ancestor, and not at all because the little fucker fell off its base on the way to the photo booth, resulting in a panicked grab which managed to chip the base and peel half his face away from the primer, no sir

Claiming getting back to nature for the hedge rows. Static grass loving gets everywhere. Also claiming take one for the team for the biker dwarfs if I haven't claimed it before already.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

OK folks July is over!

Onwards to August:

quote:

August - Netflix and Chill
Technique (Going Old School): Paint up something using a very limited colour pallete, as if it had come out of an old black and white movie or sepia photograph. Ideally the whole model will be different shades of the same colour but you could have spot colours ala Sin City.
Composition (Big Brother): Paint up a figure with surveilance equipment. This could be large sensor arrays on a vehicle, a cameraman, a wizard with crystal ball or scrying mirror, or a monster or alien with obvious oversized sensory organs.

Also I've had some thoughts regarding this season's Mr Tryhard achievement as I've realised some of the challenges may be mutually exclusive. Instead of doing all the challenges on a single model, it would change to doing all of the challenges in a single month. What are people's thoughts on this?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I, Grey Hunter, hearbye oath -
1 Scourge battleship (magnetized)
2 Scourge cruisers
3 scourge destroyers (magnetized between 2 options)
2 Scourge Frigates
3 UCM destroyers (magnetized between 3 options)
4 UCM Frigates
6 UCM Corvettes.
All by TT combat, a very small scale.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I, Kommando, being of sound mind and skilled of brush, hereby oath to paint

1 Rubicon Models Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer - 28mm
4 GHQ Mercedes G-Wagen - 6mm
3 GHQ Rheinmetall MAN HX series trucks - 6mm
and an objective marker made of Warlord bits - 28mm

This august.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Grab-bag oath for August

1 Blooded Saek, 1 Armiger Helverin, 2 Deathwatch Veterans, and 2 Imperial Knights

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
I, KingMob, Oath for August

Smoke and Mirrors team for Aristeia, 28mm, Corvus Belli

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

And since I've had the day off today, claiming Need 4 Speed on Blooded Saek:

I would also like to claim The Daily Double for June and November (he's a buff half naked dude and his axe is covered in blood). I think this is allowed but let me know if it's not.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

I, Grey Hunter, hearbye oath -
1 Scourge battleship (magnetized)
2 Scourge cruisers
3 scourge destroyers (magnetized between 2 options)
2 Scourge Frigates
3 UCM destroyers (magnetized between 3 options)
4 UCM Frigates
6 UCM Corvettes.
All by TT combat, a very small scale.

Kommando posted:

I, Kommando, being of sound mind and skilled of brush, hereby oath to paint

1 Rubicon Models Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer - 28mm
4 GHQ Mercedes G-Wagen - 6mm
3 GHQ Rheinmetall MAN HX series trucks - 6mm
and an objective marker made of Warlord bits - 28mm

This august.

Corrode posted:

Grab-bag oath for August

1 Blooded Saek, 1 Armiger Helverin, 2 Deathwatch Veterans, and 2 Imperial Knights

KingMob posted:

I, KingMob, Oath for August

Smoke and Mirrors team for Aristeia, 28mm, Corvus Belli

Approved!

Corrode posted:

I would also like to claim The Daily Double for June and November (he's a buff half naked dude and his axe is covered in blood). I think this is allowed but let me know if it's not.

This is fine, don't forget to claim them with your Completion post.

---

:siren: The spreadsheet should now be up to date up to the end of July, go check I haven't missed you. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17l0uEMpeIJ9DCqQMIOo1aX39zre1NFVUiixHS8YfgBs/edit#gid=14

I will likely be working on the gallery on Sunday.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zark the Damned posted:

Approved!

This is fine, don't forget to claim them with your Completion post.

---

:siren: The spreadsheet should now be up to date up to the end of July, go check I haven't missed you. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17l0uEMpeIJ9DCqQMIOo1aX39zre1NFVUiixHS8YfgBs/edit#gid=14

I will likely be working on the gallery on Sunday.

Thanks buddy. Also I updated my completion post to have pics with the username in so they're gallery-ready, I don't think the point is in the sheet though.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I, Duct Tape, oath to paint Belisarius Cawl and six pieces of Sector Imperialis Ruins terrain in August.

gameraMan
Dec 16, 2008

Aaaaaaagh!
I, gameraMan, oath one WizKids Beholder for August 2018.

Claiming Big Brother because, EYES!!

Also will be throwing in Spic and Span to get that out of the way…

gameraMan fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 5, 2018

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I Ugleb hereby oath for the month of August, an Adamant, Diamond, Obsidian and Amber Shaltari cruisers for Dropfleet Commander. By TTcombat in ridonculous scale.

And hopefully an oath addition later to get some frigates done, but we shall see!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I, The Moon Monster, oath 1 Isharann Soulscryer by Games Workshop for the month of August

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I, grassy gnoll, oath these three Mavericks and two Desperados by Corvus Belli, 28mm

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I, Zark the Damned, Oath the following for August 2018:

2 Reactors and 1 Pipe, GW, 28mm (Rescue Rangers as I already started basecoating them a while back)
6 Gryphhounds, GW, 28mm
1 Pegasus, GW, 28mm (the wing needs reattaching)
1 Imperial Engineer, 28mm, Gamezone
1 Banshee, 28mm, Hasslefree (not undercoated yet)

I may make an addition later depending on how this lot goes.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Duct Tape posted:

I, Duct Tape, oath to paint Belisarius Cawl and six pieces of Sector Imperialis Ruins terrain in August.

gameraMan posted:

I, gameraMan, oath one WizKids Beholder for August 2018.

Claiming Big Brother because, EYES!!

Also will be throwing in Spic and Span to get that out of the way…

Ugleb posted:

I Ugleb hereby oath for the month of August, an Adamant, Diamond, Obsidian and Amber Shaltari cruisers for Dropfleet Commander. By TTcombat in ridonculous scale.

And hopefully an oath addition later to get some frigates done, but we shall see!

The Moon Monster posted:

I, The Moon Monster, oath 1 Isharann Soulscryer by Games Workshop for the month of August

grassy gnoll posted:

I, grassy gnoll, oath these three Mavericks and two Desperados by Corvus Belli, 28mm

Zark the Damned posted:

I, Zark the Damned, Oath the following for August 2018:

2 Reactors and 1 Pipe, GW, 28mm (Rescue Rangers as I already started basecoating them a while back)
6 Gryphhounds, GW, 28mm
1 Pegasus, GW, 28mm (the wing needs reattaching)
1 Imperial Engineer, 28mm, Gamezone
1 Banshee, 28mm, Hasslefree (not undercoated yet)

I may make an addition later depending on how this lot goes.

Approved!

Edit: Gallery is up! https://imgur.com/a/JDPFPXb - go check your stuff is there and it'll get submitted for judgement this weekend!

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 6, 2018

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
For August I oath a Dracodile
Privateer Press

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
For August I, Galaspar, oath two Plagueburst Crawlers (GW 28mm)

The guy in the middle will be mounted on one of the vehicles as a tank rider - he's an ancient Palanquin rider with an inexplicable looted Eldar weapon, so this seems like as good a home for him as anywhere.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
I, Nighttheii, Oath for August: Devastator Squad, Exemplar Cinerators + UA, Severius 2, Wolf Rider
GW and PP

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I, NTRabbit, oath to paint for the month of August

14 Brokkrs, 4 Heavy Weapon Brokkrs, 6 Brokkr Engineers, 6 Brokkr Chiefs, 2 Bomb Bots, and an Urban Demolisher Weapons Platform, all Forge Fathers by Mantic (28mm)

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I, Ilor, do Oath the following for the month of August: 2x Haqqislam Kameel Remotes (28mm, Corvus Belli)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Red Shoe posted:

For August I oath a Dracodile
Privateer Press

Galaspar posted:

For August I, Galaspar, oath two Plagueburst Crawlers (GW 28mm)

The guy in the middle will be mounted on one of the vehicles as a tank rider - he's an ancient Palanquin rider with an inexplicable looted Eldar weapon, so this seems like as good a home for him as anywhere.

Nighttheii posted:

I, Nighttheii, Oath for August: Devastator Squad, Exemplar Cinerators + UA, Severius 2, Wolf Rider
GW and PP

NTRabbit posted:

I, NTRabbit, oath to paint for the month of August

14 Brokkrs, 4 Heavy Weapon Brokkrs, 6 Brokkr Engineers, 6 Brokkr Chiefs, 2 Bomb Bots, and an Urban Demolisher Weapons Platform, all Forge Fathers by Mantic (28mm)

Ilor posted:

I, Ilor, do Oath the following for the month of August: 2x Haqqislam Kameel Remotes (28mm, Corvus Belli)

Approved!

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

For August, I, LazyAngel, oath three Endrinriggers (GW, 28mm)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
:kingsley:July judgement!:kingsley:

Third place, 1 point: Bonds0097

A good looking marine boy. I like the black and the hammer's head.

Second place, 2 points: Duct Tape

Still a really nice, and well executed, color scheme.

First place, 3 points: Red Shoe

I love these monsters, the painting is very bleak in a good way and you can still easily distinguish the different pats of it.

Bonus, 1 point: Red Shoe

I like your mixed plant life on the base, and the painting on the mini fits in.