Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

race is red flagged, big shunt at the top of radillon, got a few pictures from up there from folks at the track. Nothing really on the status of the drivers other than "not dead". Word is 666 hit the barriers at the top of radillon, and then the 31 bentley collected him at full speed

how in the gently caress did anyone survive that crash in either of those cars holy fuckballs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
I'm glad to hear of the 'not dead' status, but its just another in a horrifyingly long list of horrific accidents at the same part of the track.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/07/29/sro-statement-on-meyrick-krebs-condition.html

SRO Statement posted:

Both drivers suffered fractures and, due to the high-speed nature of the accident, are currently being kept under observation in intensive care. However, neither has suffered life-threatening injuries.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Proper rain at Snetterton for BTCC :getin:

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

CactusWeasle posted:

Proper rain at Snetterton for BTCC :getin:

Holy gently caress what a finish :eyepop:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
One for the ages :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Jeeze :eyepop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2gylQGxAfc

One of the marshals got hit, although apparently not serious

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/IMSA/status/1025528098622791680

its good

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

The constant commercial breaks are still going to suck but holy balls will this be a million times better than Fox's coverage

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IMSA to split P2 into its own pro-am class

https://racer.com/2018/08/03/pruett-split-decision/

its (arguably) bad

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cygni posted:

IMSA to split P2 into its own pro-am class

https://racer.com/2018/08/03/pruett-split-decision/

its (arguably) bad

IMSA has good idea, fucks it up, but seriously, trying to hodgepodge a class together with between spec P2s and DPis which have unrestricted (but balanced) engines, and virtually unlimited funds to do other types of improvements like suspension tweaking, wasn't going work in any permanent capacity unless the P2 teams would be allowed to purchase DPis without becoming a factory team. The non-factory DPi's have not materialized, so a split was gonna happen.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 4, 2018

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I think removing suspension development from the dpis would have been better but I think this makes more sense from a ladder/gentleman driver standpoint. I like making Detroit a non points round for gtd, so the akin award winner doesn't have to choose between testing at Le Mans or having a full season in wtsc.

Generally a pretty good thing. Curious to see how the Unhinged DPis fare, and if Cadillac will go back to 6.2L

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The result will probably be P2s not turning up, the ones who did generally did for a sniff of overall victory at the big races and that will be gone, so you'll end up with just Matheson, CORE and JDC-Miller in the class.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Jdc miller are already pegged for a move to dpi, rumor is maybe it's gonna be hyundai

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
Splitting DPis and P2s was inevitable but obviously fraught with the same potential pitfalls as the WEC LMP1H-LMP1L balkanization. Pegging the DPis to the P2s made sense in a vacuum if you only regard chassis and powerplant, which was probably the kernel of the whole idea, but the prospect of free suspension development and trying to match Platinum drivers to Silver was always going to doom it in the long term.

I hope IMSA can attract more brands to DPi and open it up for more customer teams. If they can do that, I think things will be fine.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
God I cant wait to see and hear truly uncorked DPis at Daytona and Sebring next year.

Here's hoping Caddy brings back the 6.2, and Mazda goes full retard and brings us a rotary. Or at least something larger, because no way are they going to be able to crank enough reliable power out to keep up with Caddy and Acura.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

an oddly awful oud posted:

Splitting DPis and P2s was inevitable but obviously fraught with the same potential pitfalls as the WEC LMP1H-LMP1L balkanization. Pegging the DPis to the P2s made sense in a vacuum if you only regard chassis and powerplant, which was probably the kernel of the whole idea, but the prospect of free suspension development and trying to match Platinum drivers to Silver was always going to doom it in the long term.

I hope IMSA can attract more brands to DPi and open it up for more customer teams. If they can do that, I think things will be fine.

Chassis (no development because they're fundamentally the same as the P2 cars), engine (BOP'able to a number, and IMSA has proven with GTLM that their data and formulas can work), and aero (making the cars look different more for branding/identification than for actual aero performance, and in any case only allowing certain changes from the base car) were places that like you mention could be kept close.

Can't BOP for a team running out there with Indy 500 winners, two former IMSA prototype champions still in their prime, and one of the best racing organizations on the planet. If anything, the CORE Autosport team is proving the difference good drivers can make (Colin Braun needs an IndyCar ride or a factory IMSA ride).

Imagine if Ganassi took their Ford driver lineup down to GTD with any of the GT3 cars - the professionalism of the team, and the quality of the drivers, would give them a massive advantage over the pro-am mixes that are down there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Whoa, Jacques Villeneuve is racing ARX Rallycross in Canada today! :aaa:

How did that happen? I guess Travis Pastrana didn't want to race the whole season so they had to go find somebody else cool to do a one-off. I wonder if they'll keep having rotating drivers in the 3rd subaru.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmRivhXMc_4

live now if anybody cares

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Jacques Villeneuve basically will race in any series that's getting some press and then quit after a few races when he's not winning.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

njsykora posted:

Jacques Villeneuve basically will race in any series that's getting some press and then quit after a few races when he's not winning.

He's Canadian so I fully expect him to participate in this one and this one only

still cool though

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
There have been a fuckload of huge crashes in the support categories at Road America today, but Craig Lyons just did a Katherine Legge in an Aston Martin and car erupted in flames, thank gently caress he's out but seems very dazed

e: oh yeah and got hit by another car at the end which seems to have caused the fire.

e: https://twitter.com/RTShark/status/1025862936454225923

CactusWeasle fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 4, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CactusWeasle posted:

There have been a fuckload of huge crashes in the support categories at Road America today, but Craig Lyons just did a Katherine Legge in an Aston Martin and car erupted in flames, thank gently caress he's out but seems very dazed

e: oh yeah and got hit by another car at the end which seems to have caused the fire.

e: https://twitter.com/RTShark/status/1025862936454225923

Jeeze that car looked almost like he saw the crash and went straight for him. Guess he lost control too but jeeze.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Target fixation probably

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Boy I bet all the DPi manufacturers feel sheepish about all the millions they spent on car development and legendary European race teams this year when they could've just bought an Oreca P2 off the Racer classifieds and paid Colin Braun in Amazon giftcards to drive it

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

And the last think IMSA needs is P2s winning for the same reason.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Equivalency formula fails, racing world is shocked

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I hope P2 cars win every race for the remainder of the season. The split classes are a bad idea.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

iwentdoodie posted:

God I cant wait to see and hear truly uncorked DPis at Daytona and Sebring next year.

Here's hoping Caddy brings back the 6.2, and Mazda goes full retard and brings us a rotary. Or at least something larger, because no way are they going to be able to crank enough reliable power out to keep up with Caddy and Acura.

Mazda are not ever going to make a racing rotary engine for IMSA. A: they don’t sell any rotary-powered cars in the US, and the program is Mazda North America. B: even if they had a rotary it would be a mistake because they’re thirsty AF and IMSA races often come down to who does best saving fuel.

As it is, the 2.0L AER engine is not putting out as much power as it’s capable of; none of the DPi cars are.

The change for next year you should be more excited about is IMSA finally ditching Continental tires for Michelins. Every DPi/P2 driver I’ve spoken to has been champing at the bit to race these cars on proper rubber.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 6, 2018

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Hopefully they go with the P2 tire they're using in the WEC and not some dumbed down "we're not competing with anyone" tire. Lap records beware :getin:

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if Joest finds a new engine to develop themselves so they're not having to constantly blow the engine trying to yank out all the power they can out of that AER.

And Michelin could use one of their hard tires and still be faster than the Continentals. Still silly GTLM cars beat the DPs/P2s couple years back in the rain since Conti couldn't make a good rain tire.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Pole at last years IMSA round at CotA was the WTR DPi at 1:54.809, the WEC P2 pole later in the year was the Alpine at 1:54.024 (average time over both drivers) and that was before the DPis were pegged back, the fastest IMSA P2 at CotA was the PR1 Ligier at 1:56.884 and the fastest ORECA was JDC with 1:57.726, so that's nearly 3 full seconds from the tyres and drivers.

edit: later not earlier

Xisticide fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 6, 2018

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

drgitlin posted:

Mazda are not ever going to make a racing rotary engine for IMSA. A: they don’t sell any rotary-powered cars in the US, and the program is Mazda North America. B: even if they had a rotary it would be a mistake because they’re thirsty AF and IMSA races often come down to who does best saving fuel.

As it is, the 2.0L AER engine is not putting out as much power as it’s capable of; none of the DPi cars are.

Mazda needs to build a new family of 4-cylinder turbo high performance engines in-house, starting with a roadgoing one of between 2.0 and 2.5L for a hot Mazda3 variant and then derive from it a 2.0T race engine for a Mazda3 TCR car and a 2.5T for the RT24P

This will never happen

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drgitlin posted:

The change for next year you should be more excited about is IMSA finally ditching Continental tires for Michelins. Every DPi/P2 driver I’ve spoken to has been champing at the bit to race these cars on proper rubber.

Would it be any surprise if one of the P2 teams from WEC/ELMS comes over and gets a surprise podium or win at Sebring? Familiarity with those tires - or certainly ones very similar - may be a useful tool at the earliest rounds. I would also suggest Daytona too but the way that track works with tires may be a bit strange.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The big problem with going with a road derived block on the Mazda is the higher displacement engines are just stroked out to those levels, which doesn't lend itself to revving to 9k

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

JDC Miller will run 2 Cadillacs next year. Think the P2 field is going to die off pretty rapidly with the rules change.

https://racer.com/2018/08/09/jdc-miller-confirms-cadillac-dpi-program-for-2019/

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cygni posted:

JDC Miller will run 2 Cadillacs next year. Think the P2 field is going to die off pretty rapidly with the rules change.

https://racer.com/2018/08/09/jdc-miller-confirms-cadillac-dpi-program-for-2019/

Yeah if they can't compete for wins, any serious team that picked an LMP2 car is going to jump to DPi and get rid of their P2s post haste.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think the P2 field will be decently strong at the enduros, especially since a lot of ELMS/ALMS/WEC teams participate there (especially Daytona, natch), but the 100 and 160 minute races are going to be thin if non-existent.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I think we'll see a few of the current LMP3 teams buy up into P2, it's still quite a bit cheaper than DPi, especially without having to pay for custom dampers. Figure is something like 80% again the cost of a P2 for a DPi conversion from an existing P2 chassis that you own, I seem to recall Graham Goodwin saying in the Week in Sportscars.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

iospace posted:

I think the P2 field will be decently strong at the enduros, especially since a lot of ELMS/ALMS/WEC teams participate there (especially Daytona, natch), but the 100 and 160 minute races are going to be thin if non-existent.
Without the carrot of actually being able to win the race, I don't know if teams like Rebellion/Dragonspeed/DC Racing will be interested in the hassle/expense.

The only thing I can see keeping Zombie PC relevant in the long run is if they make it as spec/cheap as, well, PC was. Otherwise I can easily see all the remaining 3 teams bailing. The ones that can actually source a DPi (that the manufacturers claim are available, but haven't been) will do that. The ones that cant I can easily see selling their cars to european teams and doing something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I think we'll see a few of the current LMP3 teams buy up into P2, it's still quite a bit cheaper than DPi, especially without having to pay for custom dampers. Figure is something like 80% again the cost of a P2 for a DPi conversion from an existing P2 chassis that you own, I seem to recall Graham Goodwin saying in the Week in Sportscars.

Right, but the other important figure is cost of running the car for a season. If P2 isn’t remarkably cheaper to run a car that’s firmly now a second-class citizen, that will turn people away from the business model.