Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
For what it’s worth, cucamelons are not exactly cucumbers. They are the size of big grapes, look like a miniaturized watermelon and apparently have a “lime mixed with cucumber” flavor. So please make sure you don’t necessarily do a normal pickle brine unless a hint of lime in your pickles sounds like a good thing to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Human Tornada posted:

My post was in response to someone who wants to know how to use up a bunch of free honey, not someone who came back from the farmer's market with a cute little mason jar of the stuff. Boiling a small portion of it isn't some crime against Alton Brown.
One thing I've noticed about Alton Brown is that if the recipe calls for liquor, he does not use enough liquor. Three ounces of liquor is not enough for a batch of egg nog meant to serve 6+ people.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Lawnie posted:

Boil 6 cups water with 2 T white vinegar and 1/4 cup salt. Allow to cool. Put cucumbers into jars (cut them or don’t, up to you) along with a handful of chopped dill, some chopped garlic, a bay leaf, and a dozen or so black peppercorns, then pour in brine to cover. Refrigerate for a week, they should keep for a month or so. I got this recipe from the goons with spoons wiki and it’s really, really good. Fresh pickles are a revelation compared to ones cooked during canning.

Do these turn out the same/similar to the Claussen crisp/cold packed pickles? Because I love those things.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

Do these turn out the same/similar to the Claussen crisp/cold packed pickles? Because I love those things.

Yeah, I used to love those pickles as a kid. These blow them out of the water (brine).

That said, this is a classic kosher dill type recipe. I thought “cucamelon” was a cute nickname for a cucumber, but maybe this recipe doesn’t fit for cucamelons. Never tried one

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I don't boil anything. Cup water, 1/2 cup (or more if you really like) vinegar, 2TB salt, add basil, smashed garlic, dill, peppercorns, onions; to a jar of cucumbers, carrots, zucchini, onions, or any other veg. Start eating after 3 days in the fridge.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

I don't boil anything. Cup water, 1/2 cup (or more if you really like) vinegar, 2TB salt, add basil, smashed garlic, dill, peppercorns, onions; to a jar of cucumbers, carrots, zucchini, onions, or any other veg. Start eating after 3 days in the fridge.

Wow, that’s a lot of vinegar!! Lesson learned is it’s hard to gently caress up pickling fresh veggies.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It is a lot of vinegar but my kids love it, we all do. A jar only lasts a day or two once we start on it. I reuse the brine once, then toss.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Scientastic posted:

My three year old has grown some peas and wants to eat them: there aren’t enough to just have some peas with dinner, can anyone suggest a child-friendly recipe that showcases peas, but doesn’t require a massive quantity?

Is your name John Green?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G90b_iEU7o

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Feenix posted:

For what it’s worth, cucamelons are not exactly cucumbers. They are the size of big grapes, look like a miniaturized watermelon and apparently have a “lime mixed with cucumber” flavor. So please make sure you don’t necessarily do a normal pickle brine unless a hint of lime in your pickles sounds like a good thing to you?

It didn't sound bad to me.

wormil posted:

Sounds like I need to buy dill either way.

Thanks everyone! Will report back if not dead.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I’m trying out using dill flowers from my garden over chopped dill, so I’ll report back on how that works.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Dill is only necessary if you want dill pickles, most of the time I don't use it. Basil, sage, dill, cilantro; I use some of whatever we have fresh. I read that you should cut off the flowering end of the cucumber, and leaves and seeds contribute tannins that keep the pickles crunchy. I can't swear that is true but I do it.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Anyone have any tips for savory oatmeals? Wanting to incorporate more into my diet as a I have an aversion to eggs (got very very ill when I was a kid. I can make myself eat them but I don't find them very enjoyable and would rather eat other things) and am not much of one for sweets. I'd love to make some batches and freeze them. I'm thinking cooking oats in chicken broth and spices, with sauteed onions, mushrooms and spinach. I think a corn, squash, pea or bean and tomato could be good as well, maybe with the veggies cooked in and a tomato jam or salsa type thing poured on top.

What have you tried? My partner doesn't care for cilantro (but I do, so dishes where I can leave it on the side or add to a salsa poured on top, great.) and I am not a huge horseradish fan, but we eat everything else, so all is welcome.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Anyone have any tips for savory oatmeals? Wanting to incorporate more into my diet as a I have an aversion to eggs (got very very ill when I was a kid. I can make myself eat them but I don't find them very enjoyable and would rather eat other things) and am not much of one for sweets. I'd love to make some batches and freeze them. I'm thinking cooking oats in chicken broth and spices, with sauteed onions, mushrooms and spinach. I think a corn, squash, pea or bean and tomato could be good as well, maybe with the veggies cooked in and a tomato jam or salsa type thing poured on top.

What have you tried? My partner doesn't care for cilantro (but I do, so dishes where I can leave it on the side or add to a salsa poured on top, great.) and I am not a huge horseradish fan, but we eat everything else, so all is welcome.

This is probably way less fancy than you were wanting but I will sometimes make steel cut oats with water, throw in a tbs or so of low sodium soy sauce in each bowl, and add in some freeze dried scallions.

Natural peanut butter (the kind that's just peanuts and salt) is really good too. Peanut butter without sugar has a rich taste that works well with oats. (If you ever want a sweet version of this, add in a spoon of chocolate chips to get no-bake cookie oatmeal!)

Others will have some fancier ideas but these low-effort ones hit the spot when I can't stand sugar.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Is this specifically for breakfast? Because you could either go for anything that pairs with any other savory grain/cereal/carb like farro, quinoa, couscous, rice, etc. Either find those recipes and modify or just cook those recipes if the oatmeal part isn't important as the savory part.

E: congee!

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 6, 2018

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What's a good temperature to bake a dutch oven full of tomato sauce at?

It feels like 225f doesn't get the flavor development I want. But 285 I have to stir it a few times to bring that crust in off the sides. Is there a general rule? What about time? I usually got about an hour or so.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Cook your oats in chicken broth with onion, top with all sorts of things.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Bob Morales posted:

What's a good temperature to bake a dutch oven full of tomato sauce at?

It feels like 225f doesn't get the flavor development I want. But 285 I have to stir it a few times to bring that crust in off the sides. Is there a general rule? What about time? I usually got about an hour or so.
If you're talking about a Sunday gravy type thing then I'd say like 300 for half the day is the kind of thing you're going for. I usually do it on the stovetop, but you can certainly use an oven. But yeah, you're going to get a bunch of carmelised poo poo where the liquid level is dropping due to evaporation. That's just part of the process.

At the other end of the spectrum is a quick basic red sauce. For that kind of thing I'd say don't do it in the oven, just in a fry pan or sauté big enough to hold the amount of sauce you want, and just cook it long enough for the tomatoes to break down to the consistency you want.

The punchline here being that you either want to cook your tomatoes as little as humanly possible to keep the bright flavours---and this is the kind of sauce you don't add a lot of other poo poo to, like maybe some basil and garlic or whatever (and of course a little fish sauce) but you're not going overboard---or you want to cook the everloving gently caress out of the tomatoes until they're way reduced and almost ready to burn and have lost a lot of that tomato brightness but have developed a whole bunch of richer flavours---and this is the kind of sauce you throw your pork and meatballs and braciole or whatever into and cook 'em right in the sauce.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Also is your Dutch oven enabled? Because hours of hot tomatoes doesn't play nicely with cast iron.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Annath posted:

Also is your Dutch oven enabled? Because hours of hot tomatoes doesn't play nicely with cast iron.
If it's seasoned properly it'll be fine.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

The idea of savory oatmeal or oats for anything other than breakfast is deeply distasteful to me —it just seems like new age fusion cuisine bullshit.

Now that I have huffily registered my wild and irrational opinion (anyone else with me here?), I'd help by suggesting you try to use steel-cut oats in American grits recipes. Maybe some nice cheesy oats with black pepper or a spicy shrimp and grits oats?

If you're trying to eat oats more for cardiovascular reasons, going Southern might be a bad idea, so try looking up some Italian farro or barley recipes and subbing in steel cut oats. I've also seen whole oats sold at some specialty stores, so those might work better texture wise. I think barley is just as healthy as oats, so you may want to just cook with barley too.

Lastly, it might take some fine tuning for the cooking times and amount of water you need, but I think you could swap rice for steel-cut oats in a lot of pilaf recipes.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
It's chili harvest time! I have a huge plant of thai chili and 3 habanero plants. PYF hot sauce recipes, the easier the better.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Klaus Kinski posted:

It's chili harvest time! I have a huge plant of thai chili and 3 habanero plants. PYF hot sauce recipes, the easier the better.

Chop them up, add 3.5% salt by weight, put in a jar to ferment until you can't stand to wait any longer. Then puree and enjoy.

These lids make it a lot easier.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CYM653J/

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Halloween Jack posted:

One thing I've noticed about Alton Brown is that if the recipe calls for liquor, he does not use enough liquor. Three ounces of liquor is not enough for a batch of egg nog meant to serve 6+ people.

Sandra Lee used all the Food Network's liquor, so all the other chefs have to share the last bottle.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I need to move out soon and I still have most of a jumbo bag of frozen corn. Anyone have any suggestions for using it up quickly?

e: I should clarify I don't just want 'corn recipes'. I want corn recipes that use maximum corn for minimum finished product. i need corn-dense recipes

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 7, 2018

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

wormil posted:

Chop them up, add 3.5% salt by weight, put in a jar to ferment until you can't stand to wait any longer. Then puree and enjoy.

These lids make it a lot easier.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CYM653J/

I homebrew so I'll just diy something.

Got any vinegar based ones?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I have attempted to make beef stew from two Serious Eats recipes and both have turned out completely terrible, and I have no idea why. The beef just never gets anywhere even close to tender, almost impossibly tough to eat. One recipe says to cook it at 275 for about 2.5 hours, " Liquid should remain at a slow, steady simmer throughout." I cannot get anything even remotely close to a "slow simmer" on anything less than 375F in my oven, and yes I have tested to make sure it's actually at the correct temperature and it is.

Could this be an issue with the material or size of the dutch oven? Or any other ideas? This doesn't seem like something that should be difficult or complicated.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 7, 2018

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Killingyouguy! posted:

I need to move out soon and I still have most of a jumbo bag of frozen corn. Anyone have any suggestions for using it up quickly?

e: I should clarify I don't just want 'corn recipes'. I want corn recipes that use maximum corn for minimum finished product. i need corn-dense recipes

Make this corn pudding. It's great. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/corn-pudding-238187

Alternatively, make it a sweet dessert/side by omitting the savory stuff, doubling the sugar and topping with a dollop of creme fraiche or greek yogurt or vanilla ice cream.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I have attempted to make beef stew from two Serious Eats recipes and both have turned out completely terrible, and I have no idea why. One recipe says to cook it at 275 for about 2.5 hours, " Liquid should remain at a slow, steady simmer throughout." I cannot get anything even remotely close to a "slow simmer" on anything less than 375F in my oven, and yes I have tested to make sure it's actually at the correct temperature and it is.

Could this be an issue with the material or size of the dutch oven? Or any other ideas? This doesn't seem like something that should be difficult or complicated.

I really enjoy making stews, and that recipe and article have some good advice, but I think Serious Eats overcomplicates it by asking you to finish the stew in the oven. I think Kenji's distinction between a "constant energy output system" and a "constant temperature system" is sort of nonsense. If you have a good dutch oven, I think that should be enough to keep the heat fairly even throughout the stew. I also don't agree with his claim that a stew can be overcooked. Overstirred? Yes — I've turned too many stews into shredded meat by agitating them too much once the meat was starting to get tender. But I don't know what he's talking about about drying beef out in a stew.

If you can achieve a light simmer on the stovetop with the lid cracked, that's what I'd do. Cook until the meat is tender. I think it's simpler that way and truer to the origins of the dish.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I've been making beef stew for St. Patrick's day for almost a decade, and I've never had a bad batch, nor used an oven.

I follow this recipe, although I've tweaked it for my own preferences over the years:

http://startcooking.com/guinness-stout-beef-stew

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I have attempted to make beef stew from two Serious Eats recipes and both have turned out completely terrible, and I have no idea why. The beef just never gets anywhere even close to tender, almost impossibly tough to eat. One recipe says to cook it at 275 for about 2.5 hours, " Liquid should remain at a slow, steady simmer throughout." I cannot get anything even remotely close to a "slow simmer" on anything less than 375F in my oven, and yes I have tested to make sure it's actually at the correct temperature and it is.
What did you test with? If it's telling you water starts boiling at 375F it's probably off too.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

DasNeonLicht posted:

I really enjoy making stews, and that recipe and article have some good advice, but I think Serious Eats overcomplicates it by asking you to finish the stew in the oven. I think Kenji's distinction between a "constant energy output system" and a "constant temperature system" is sort of nonsense. If you have a good dutch oven, I think that should be enough to keep the heat fairly even throughout the stew. I also don't agree with his claim that a stew can be overcooked. Overstirred? Yes — I've turned too many stews into shredded meat by agitating them too much once the meat was starting to get tender. But I don't know what he's talking about about drying beef out in a stew.

If you can achieve a light simmer on the stovetop with the lid cracked, that's what I'd do. Cook until the meat is tender. I think it's simpler that way and truer to the origins of the dish.

I will do that next time then, that does sound easier. I did continue cooking it at 375F for about 45 minutes longer, and it did eventually become pretty tender and good. But that's a pretty colossal difference from what all of those recipes call for, so I'm still pretty confused about what's causing that difference.

SubG posted:

What did you test with? If it's telling you water starts boiling at 375F it's probably off too.

Tested with a generic oven thermometer, I originally got it to test the oven for making Macarons and it seemed like it was pretty accurate at the time. Also use an IR thermometer to test my pizza pans for what that's worth. The oven definitely fluctuates +/- 25F from what you set it to though (it's electric).

Actually, I realize I should check the difference between the top and the bottom of the oven, I've always been measuring towards the top and these were cooking on the lowest rack.
E: Hrm doesn't seem to be that either, difference from top to bottom seems pretty negligible.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 8, 2018

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

A good recipe and a slow cooker or pressure cooker should be about all you need to make a goof stew.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Meat absolutely can get overcooked while submerged in liquid and I'm surprised you've never run into that problem

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

AnonSpore posted:

Meat absolutely can get overcooked while submerged in liquid and I'm surprised you've never run into that problem

I mean, I have, but not with poor stew cuts

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I got some frozen spanakopitas at the Greek grocery. They don't have instructions. What temperature should I cook them at? They appear to be uncooked, and look like they did the folding of the dough and then froze them. Should I thaw first or bake it frozen?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Klaus Kinski posted:

I homebrew so I'll just diy something.

Got any vinegar based ones?

I've tried a few vinegar based, my favorite was papaya habanero (off Google), but once I started fermenting that was it. Fermented hot sauce is 1000x better. I have a bunch of banana peppers and jalapeños that I'm going to ferment soon. Might add a little pineapple.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Doom Rooster posted:

Make this corn pudding. It's great. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/corn-pudding-238187

Alternatively, make it a sweet dessert/side by omitting the savory stuff, doubling the sugar and topping with a dollop of creme fraiche or greek yogurt or vanilla ice cream.

This looks great, thank you!

Though I will admit I got to "1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Chihuahua" and got very concerned

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

wormil posted:

I've tried a few vinegar based, my favorite was papaya habanero (off Google), but once I started fermenting that was it. Fermented hot sauce is 1000x better. I have a bunch of banana peppers and jalapeños that I'm going to ferment soon. Might add a little pineapple.

Is fermentation what gives sriracha it's distinctive flavor? I'm going to have a ton of habaneros and Scotch bonnets this year but don't really care for sriracha.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Tested with a generic oven thermometer, I originally got it to test the oven for making Macarons and it seemed like it was pretty accurate at the time. Also use an IR thermometer to test my pizza pans for what that's worth. The oven definitely fluctuates +/- 25F from what you set it to though (it's electric).

Actually, I realize I should check the difference between the top and the bottom of the oven, I've always been measuring towards the top and these were cooking on the lowest rack.
E: Hrm doesn't seem to be that either, difference from top to bottom seems pretty negligible.
Are you bringing the pot up to a simmer before putting it in the oven?

Because I'm way more willing to believe that you have multiple thermometers that are reading high than your kitchen is about fifteen miles below sea level, which is roughly where you'd have to be for the boiling point of water to be at 375 F.

Human Tornada posted:

Is fermentation what gives sriracha it's distinctive flavor? I'm going to have a ton of habaneros and Scotch bonnets this year but don't really care for sriracha.
If you specifically mean Huy Fong sriracha then the main difference between it and similar chili sauces is a shitload of sugar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Yeah, Rooster Sauce has as much or more sugar than ketchup.

Their sambal olek and chili garlic pastes are fantastic without added sugar however.