Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Motto posted:

the 21XXes were thereafter known as "the century of stupidity"

"Didn't a mad scientist build a robot out of wood a century prior? And repeated the same scheme over eleven times?"

"Yes, and if you'll notice, the robot worked and they never really beat him."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The Final Weapon probably would have been handy to have around in X5 to blow up the space colony, or something like that.

The problem with Repliforce boiled down to basically the same problem the X universe always had: to combat the threat of Reploids randomly and undetectably going crazy and rebelling or killing people, they developed large armed forces staffed exclusively by purpose-built combat Reploids. A huge number of stupid things in the X timeline all basically derive from being unable or unwilling to solve the rather obvious conflict there. "We built a stupidly destructive thing to beat the bad guys, only to have the bad guys use it against us" certainly comes out hardest in X4, but that could just as easily describe Sigma himself.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

So systems assumed secure turning out to not be secure and are being repurposed for malicious intents after an attack? Why does that sound so familiar?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I imagine the Final Weapon began construction as part of a deterrent force meant to aid in supplementing the Maverick Hunters as Repliforce was meant to, and General decided to repurpose it as it makes an excellent deterrent to eventual invasion.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Next try on that stupid garbage dick reploid at the end of MSP

Wish me luck

EDIT: If you do the Falcon giga attack, X will finish the animation

the Nightmare is unimpressed and eats the reploid

then you die because the animation makes X stand up

come the gently caress on X6

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 6, 2018

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
how do i beat da big cow HI M00X

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Star Man posted:

Charged normal attack, then special weapon shot of any kind. Repeat for too long. Once he starts doing stupid poo poo in the center of the room, just special weapon fire. Kill him before he kills you.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i just started X4 again:
* the jet ski stage can suck a big fat one. i love how in the first section there is a pit that if you glide when you see it you will land in a different pit 100%. you’re supposed to be psychic and start your glide earlier before it appears on screen.

* the 3d stairwell in mushroom’s stage aged like a jug of milk lol. it looks so bad and the bouncing spikes are the worst enemy to put there.

* bustering bosses is way more fun than i remember. the only boss i used the weakness against so far is owl because he loves wasting time. mushroom is hectic and fun.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I always thought the staircase would look good if there were more frames in the background. The illusion doesn't work since the foreground is sprites are moving smoothly and the background is lurching along in chunks.

edit: just double checked on a video and it's the foreground too. it looks like about 2 frames. awful

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

b_d posted:

I always thought the staircase would look good if there were more frames in the background. The illusion doesn't work since the foreground is sprites are moving smoothly and the background is lurching along in chunks.

edit: just double checked on a video and it's the foreground too. it looks like about 2 frames. awful

It looked cool in 1997.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

it could have been better!!!!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

What's funny is them basically reusing it at a different camera angle in X5.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Phantasium posted:

What's funny is them basically reusing it at a different camera angle in X5.

What's actually funny is that said different camera angle makes it look 10 times worse.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Next try on that stupid garbage dick reploid at the end of MSP

Wish me luck

EDIT: If you do the Falcon giga attack, X will finish the animation

the Nightmare is unimpressed and eats the reploid

then you die because the animation makes X stand up

come the gently caress on X6
Update: charged Ray Arrow does the same. Nightmare is untouched (too short range) - eats Reploid - X dies because he stood up. I'm a little out of ideas honestly. Charged Magma Blade? Meteor Rain? Those are so unreliable and I have ZERO time.

Apparently, there IS a way to just gun it, and it's absolutely the only way. Yeehaw.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Found some X3 bosses I can beat after a few attempts

what's the thing with the 'F' do? I can't highlight it in the menu. Also there is a pad with an 'X' on it in each stage that doesnt do anything yet

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

brand engager posted:

what's the thing with the 'F' do? I can't highlight it in the menu. Also there is a pad with an 'X' on it in each stage that doesnt do anything yet

The thing with the F is a ride armor. If you stand on the big pads in some stages, they'll let you summon a ride armor - but they do nothing if you don't already have one.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

brand engager posted:

unlocked the frog suit

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Ahh cool some rear end in a top hat wants to throw hula hoops and cut me with a sword now

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

brand engager posted:

Ahh cool some rear end in a top hat wants to throw hula hoops and cut me with a sword now

Ahh Bit. For him remember his sword dash will be at whatever height you are at. So when he jumps you should jump too so he flies right over you.

For his partner Byte who shows up later you need to dash jump up the walls.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

What I really want is some armor upgrades, but they're probably hidden behind those cracked walls I can't do anything to. Haven't seen anything that looks like an upgrade capsule on-screen.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

To use ride armours in X3, first you need to find the basic fist ride armour from X1 somewhere in one of the levels. It'll appear as an N in your inventory. Once you have it, those platforms will let you summon/switch/repair ride armour as many times as you want. The other three letters give you alternate forms with different weapons and special features.

The F there is the Frog form, basically useless on land as it can only get around by hopping and fires very short range torpedoes, but it's the only form that can operate underwater. When underwater it can swim kind of Mario-style and its torpedoes become long range homing weapons. There's also a Hawk form with short range flight and lovely missile weapons, and a Kangaroo form that IIRC just trades the fists for spike fists that you can charge to rev up and shoot them out on a chain. Imagine the X2 ride armour, split its abilities in half, then make both halves worse, and you get the Kangaroo and the Hawk.

E: Upgrade capsules look the same as X1 and X2. There's also special pink capsules that let you double upgrade an upgraded body part, but you can only take one of the four. Tunnel Rhino's weapon can break some walls, others can only be broken by ride armour. There's other things that don't necessarily look breakable that you can break in a couple of other ways. I think X3's the worst of the three about hiding poo poo behind stuff you'd never think to do, don't be afraid to give up and look up a guide if you're really stuck.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 6, 2018

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Star Man posted:

Wow, that's a reference I didn't even think my brain was capable of recalling, especially so many years later.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

lmao eat poo poo buddy

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Man thinking about it X3 is actually really rude about a bunch of its secrets being hidden behind "Here is an obvious (or not so obvious) lock, the key is one specific charged special weapon, good luck."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Tunnel Rhino's power will let you get lots of items.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Oh whoops that thing was a teleporter and not some kind of upgrade

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dabir posted:

Man thinking about it X3 is actually really rude about a bunch of its secrets being hidden behind "Here is an obvious (or not so obvious) lock, the key is one specific charged special weapon, good luck."

Yea it's annoying as heck!!!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
On the other hand it's a 12-14 stage action platformer that can be ripped through in one sitting, adding obtuse poo poo was actually a really cool way for them to give you a little more value for your money back in the day

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Found one at the end of the ice stage behind an annoying jump

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

KingSlime posted:

On the other hand it's a 12-14 stage action platformer that can be ripped through in one sitting, adding obtuse poo poo was actually a really cool way for them to give you a little more value for your money back in the day

X1 and X2 mostly put that poo poo behind skill tests that you wouldn't necessarily be able to do the first time but could come back to later on. X3 puts them behind buying the strategy guide.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

brand engager posted:

Found one at the end of the ice stage behind an annoying jump

Looks like even X found it annoying.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I turned on rookie mode so I could just rush through the drill guy's stage and I only ended up getting hit by him once anyways. Threw away getting the medal for beating X3 on normal for nothin :rip:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

brand engager posted:

I turned on rookie mode so I could just rush through the drill guy's stage and I only ended up getting hit by him once anyways. Threw away getting the medal for beating X3 on normal for nothin :rip:

Let that be a lesson that it was your fear holding you back.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Dabir posted:

X1 and X2 mostly put that poo poo behind skill tests that you wouldn't necessarily be able to do the first time but could come back to later on. X3 puts them behind buying the strategy guide.

"Man, what's with this grate in the tower? Alucard can't go through it and it says I need something, companies need to stop gating cool poo poo behind buying the strategy guide"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I like how every breakable wall in X3 has a visual indication like cracks - except for one, which doesn't. I know it's because you're supposed to break it a different way from every other wall, but it's still dumb. Sums up X3's approach to secrets pretty well. I'm guessing that since they made the helmet upgrade tell you where to look for unlockables, they felt they could worry a little less about discoverability.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

"Man, what's with this grate in the tower? Alucard can't go through it and it says I need something, companies need to stop gating cool poo poo behind buying the strategy guide"

The difference there is that backtracking with new abilities is encouraged in SotN. The design of most Mega Man games allows for it, but backtracking and exploring every nook and cranny of a level is hardly what the games are actually encouraging.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

The difference there is that backtracking with new abilities is encouraged in SotN. The design of most Mega Man games allows for it, but backtracking and exploring every nook and cranny of a level is hardly what the games are actually encouraging.

Yeah, it's not like you potentially needed to backtrack or explore hidden areas with specific abilities to obtain:

The helmet in X1
Chill Penguin's Heart Tank
Spark Mandrill's Heart Tank
Boomer Kuwanger's Heart Tank
Armored Armadillo's Heart Tank
Sting Chameleon's Heart Tank
Flame Mammoth's Subtank
Spark Mandrill's Subtank
The armor in X2
The legs in X2
Morph Moth's Heart Tank
Magna Centipede's Heart Tank
Magna Centipede's Subtank

Plus many more.

Seriously, Mega Man X was built on revisiting stages to find stuff you missed. X3 just has more of it than the previous games.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Wow, that's a reference I didn't even think my brain was capable of recalling, especially so many years later.

I knew someone around here had to have hung out at Mega Man *Social*.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The Bold Kobold posted:

Looks like even X found it annoying.

The first boss you have ever beaten in this game was Crush Crawfish and you've managed to find atuff without a guide.

You're apparwntly way better than you think you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Simply Simon posted:

Update: charged Ray Arrow does the same. Nightmare is untouched (too short range) - eats Reploid - X dies because he stood up. I'm a little out of ideas honestly. Charged Magma Blade? Meteor Rain? Those are so unreliable and I have ZERO time.

Apparently, there IS a way to just gun it, and it's absolutely the only way. Yeehaw.

it's like they didn't playtest this poo poo and just threw random ideas together