Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I like the idea that the Stone was

1) important enough that Isildur specifically put it in a boat and carried it the whole way over here with him

2) left it sitting on the side of a hill because there was nothing better to do with it

Seven stars and eight stones and one white tree.

Ed: or does being a meteorite class it as a star?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It being originally a palantir tower makes lots of sense.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

It being originally a palantir tower makes lots of sense.

Could be part of the Palantir network without being an actual Palantir. Maybe it's the palantir equivalent of a backup server.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The fact that that entire story was told in a rushed flashback, plus the halfway-thought-through nature of the Stone (Olsen discussed this, he's like, what, did Elendil and his sons pack in the night and rush to their ships to put out into the harbor to avoid the gestapo, but Isildur was all NO WAIT YOU GUYS I HAVE TO GET MY GIANT loving MARBLE ROCK) makes me think Tolkien never really got the whole Erech storyline working to his satisfaction

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

He had to get his marble rock, and a cutting from Nimloth. He was busy as Numenor was being destroyed!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

Seven stars and eight stones and one white tree.

Ed: or does being a meteorite class it as a star?

:eyepop:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Isildur probably just like, found a cool rock somwhere, moved it to its current location, and told the natives it was from Numenor to scare them

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

"It's a big rock. Can't wait to tell all my mates, they don't have a rock this big."

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

"It's a big rock. Can't wait to tell all my mates, they don't have a rock this big."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO0TUI9r-So

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I don't have anything to contribute but I've loved reading the discussion from the last few days and to hell with it, I'm gonna read LotR again.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Oh yeah, The Fall of Gondolin is to be released at the end of the month.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Complete prose version ? Where does it end ?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Probably going to be just a nice illustrated edition of the various stages of the material, like Beren & Lúthien. I’d expect the original Fall and the unfinished Tale of Tuor to make up most of it.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

skasion posted:

Probably going to be just a nice illustrated edition of the various stages of the material, like Beren & Lúthien. I’d expect the original Fall and the unfinished Tale of Tuor to make up most of it.

That would be a very short book.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I liked the historiography in Beren and Lúthien. And I also liked this passage, in which Thû, the proto-Sauron, has captured the heroes, whom he strongly suspects of not being the orcs they are disguised as, and, addressing them, challenges to blaspheme:

quote:

Whom do ye serve, Light or Mirk?
Who is the maker of mightiest work?
Who is the king of earthly kings,
the greatest giver of gold and rings?
Who is the master of the wide earth?
Who despoiled them of their mirth,
the greedy Gods! Repeat your vows,
Orcs of Bauglir! Do not bend your brows!

Death to light, to law, to love!
Cursed be moon and stars above!
May darkness everlasting old
that waits outside in surges cold
drown Manwë, Varda, and the sun!
May all in hatred be begun
and all in evil ended be,
in the moaning of the endless Sea!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

sweet geek swag posted:

That would be a very short book.

There really isn’t way more for Chris to draw from though. The Lost Tales version is the sole complete version of the story. The Annals of Beleriand version is like three pages long. The later annals don’t get to it. The Tale of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin breaks off, hilariously, right before he actually comes to Gondolin. I expect we’ll get the lay version as well since that has never been completely published, but that’s very short fragments too, nothing like as full as the Lay of Leithian. I don’t really know what else he can do besides write a bunch of fan fiction, or magically unearth some version of the story no one has ever heard of before.

Bongo Bill posted:

I liked the historiography in Beren and Lúthien. And I also liked this passage, in which Thû, the proto-Sauron, has captured the heroes, whom he strongly suspects of not being the orcs they are disguised as, and, addressing them, challenges to blaspheme:

Yeah this bit is probably my favorite part of the book. That’s a hell of an oath.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Bongo Bill posted:

That's interesting- I always felt Sauron was motivated by hatred, sure, but also cold logic and a hunger for power. Thû meanwhile hates "light and law and love"- Sauron seems to find light unhelpful, laws useful (his own at least) and love incomprehensible.
Have I been too kind to Sauron? Or was his earlier version more evil for the sake of being evil?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I believe the professional description for Thû is "edgelord"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Thu/Sauron is just repeating Melkorian propaganda there. He’s enforcing ideological conformity (as a trap, like early Christians being forced to sacrifice for the Roman emperor or w/e) and not discussing whatever personal beliefs he might have.

Specifically I think the second stanza there is the vows he is commanding the “orcs of Bauglir” to repeat. In fact the bit right after where that quote breaks off makes me sure of it.

skasion fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 9, 2018

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That's how I interpreted it: he's reciting, essentially, Melkorian scripture.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

HIJK posted:

I believe the professional description for Thû is "edgelord"

I was going to say Melkor is far more the edgelord, but then I realised I can totally see Sauron as a 4chan ironic Melkorian, so... yeah.

Post your finest Morgoth pepes ITT.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Getting bound in chains and hurled into the uttermost void to own the Valar

I actually thought Tolkien had a subtle thread there which felt very modern in light of RECENT EVENTS with how it seems as though Melkor specifically loathed and hated Varda above the other Valar and Valier.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It’s not particularly subtle, Morgoth obviously has woman problems. God neglected to make him a waifu and the only girl who will give him the time of day is a fat voidspider who only wants his jewels. In some versions it was even less subtle, but alas Tolkien wound up expunging the story where he rapes the sun.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

skasion posted:

It’s not particularly subtle, Morgoth obviously has woman problems. God neglected to make him a waifu and the only girl who will give him the time of day is a fat voidspider who only wants his jewels. In some versions it was even less subtle, but alas Tolkien wound up expunging the story where he rapes the sun.

Now that's a story I don't remember.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

sweet geek swag posted:

Now that's a story I don't remember.

It’s in Myths Transformed. As part of the reenvisioning of the creation story to be non-geocentric, Tolkien greatly increased the prominence of the sun-maiden Arien. She becomes in these writings the guardian of the Sacred Fire that Eru places at the heart of Arda (meaning in these writings the entire local cosmic neighborhood and not just the planet earth). Melkor covets the fire and makes suit of marriage to her in exchange for it. Somehow she isn’t won over by this so he straight up rapes her. As you would expect it isn’t a good idea to force yourself on the literal sun, and Melkor is burned black by the act and thereafter loathes the sun (as do his slaves) and turns his desires to darkness instead, while Arien is so angry she flees the universe entirely.

This is all probably going back to a very old concept from BOLT where Morgoth would strike a blow against the sun (in this version, as in the published Silm, a fruit of the Tree of Gold and not predating the world) by inciting argument between the sun-maiden and the moon-man Ilinsor, which would end with the sun-maiden (Urwendi in this version) falling from the sun and becoming lost in the sea-caverns beneath the world until Fionwe son of Manwe goes in quest of her at the end of the elvish age to restore her to her post and “relight the Magic Sun”.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
So why is Gandalf more powerful when he's sent back after killing the Balrog? Did the Gods say gently caress it and give him a power boost since Saruman turned traitor? Or was he always stronger than Saruman and just now realizing it?

Or is it a matter of evil diminishing its own power? There's a consistent theme throughout Lotr (and the Silmarillion too) of how doing evil poo poo diminishes the person. Saruman diminishes the power of his voice by becoming a tyrant. Sauron diminishes his own power with the ring (albeit, his power is expanded when in possession of the ring) and he also loses the ability to take fair forms after Numenor is destroyed.

So it's possible I guess to read Saruman's loss to Gandalf as Saruman losing a lot of his former power by becoming a tyrant. Indeed by the end of Lotr Saruman is so diminished that he gets owned by a bunch of a Hobbits and Gandalf isn't even worried in the slightest about helping the Hobbits stop his wickedness.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He’s not more powerful in rpg terms. He just has an updated purpose and zero interference.

I guess he’s more powerful in that he now has authority over Saruman.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think he also has clearer memories of his time before re-entering middle earth

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Some good quotes

quote:

‘Come back, Saruman!’ said Gandalf in a commanding voice. To the amazement of the others, Saruman turned again, and as if dragged against his will, he came slowly back to the iron rail, leaning on it, breathing hard. His face was lined and shrunken. His hand clutched his heavy black staff like a claw. ‘I did not give you leave to go,’ said Gandalf sternly. ‘I have not finished. You have become a fool, Saruman, and yet pitiable. You might still have turned away from folly and evil, and have been of service. But you choose to stay and gnaw the ends of your old plots. Stay then! But I warn you, you will not easily come out again. Not unless the dark hands of the East stretch out to take you. Saruman!’ he cried, and his voice grew in power and authority. ‘Behold, I am not Gandalf the Grey, whom you betrayed. I am Gandalf the White, who has returned from death. You have no colour now, and I cast you from the order and from the Council.’ He raised his hand, and spoke slowly in a clear cold voice. ‘Saruman, your staff is broken.’ There was a crack, and the staff split asunder in Saruman’s hand, and the head of it fell down at Gandalf’s feet. ‘Go!’ said Gandalf. With a cry Saruman fell back and crawled away.

Also

quote:

‘But I do not doubt that you will come there before me, if you wish.’ He rose and looked long at Gandalf. The others gazed at them in silence as they stood there facing one another. The grey figure of the Man, Aragorn son of Arathorn, was tall, and stern as stone, his hand upon the hilt of his sword; he looked as if some king out of the mists of the sea had stepped upon the shores of lesser men. Before him stooped the old figure, white, shining now as if with some light kindled within, bent, laden with years, but holding a power beyond the strength of kings. ‘Do I not say truly, Gandalf,’ said Aragorn at last, ‘that you could go whithersoever you wished quicker than I? And this I also say: you are our captain and our banner. The Dark Lord has Nine. But we have One, mightier than they: the White Rider. He has passed through the fire and the abyss, and they shall fear him. We will go where he leads.’

The bolded part probably refers to his Ring

quote:

‘Perhaps he also thought that you were Saruman,’ said Gimli. ‘But you speak of him as if he was a friend. I thought Fangorn was dangerous.’ ‘Dangerous!’ cried Gandalf. ‘And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord. And Aragorn is dangerous, and Legolas is dangerous. You are beset with dangers, Gimli son of Glóin; for you are dangerous yourself, in your own fashion. Certainly the forest of Fangorn is perilous –not least to those that are too ready with their axes; and Fangorn himself, he is perilous too; yet he is wise and kindly nonetheless. But now his long slow wrath is brimming over, and all the forest is filled with it. The coming of the hobbits and the tidings that they brought have spilled it: it will soon be running like a flood; but its tide is turned against Saruman and the axes of Isengard. A thing is about to happen which has not happened since the Elder Days: the Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong.’ ‘What will they do?’ asked Legolas in astonishment.
‘Do we go to find our friends and to see Treebeard?’ asked Aragorn. ‘No,’ said Gandalf. ‘That is not the road that you must take. I have spoken words of hope. But only of hope. Hope is not victory. War is upon us and all our friends, a war in which only the use of the Ring could give us surety of victory. It fills me with great sorrow and great fear: for much shall be destroyed and all may be lost. I am Gandalf, Gandalf the White, but Black is mightier still.’

Don’t know what to make of that. Seems on his face he’s saying he’s not as powerful as Sauron but second to him. But he says everyone is dangerous so that kind of down plays it.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 9, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ginette Reno posted:

So why is Gandalf more powerful when he's sent back after killing the Balrog? Did the Gods say gently caress it and give him a power boost since Saruman turned traitor? Or was he always stronger than Saruman and just now realizing it?

Or is it a matter of evil diminishing its own power? There's a consistent theme throughout Lotr (and the Silmarillion too) of how doing evil poo poo diminishes the person. Saruman diminishes the power of his voice by becoming a tyrant. Sauron diminishes his own power with the ring (albeit, his power is expanded when in possession of the ring) and he also loses the ability to take fair forms after Numenor is destroyed.

So it's possible I guess to read Saruman's loss to Gandalf as Saruman losing a lot of his former power by becoming a tyrant. Indeed by the end of Lotr Saruman is so diminished that he gets owned by a bunch of a Hobbits and Gandalf isn't even worried in the slightest about helping the Hobbits stop his wickedness.

My understanding, though I'm on phone now, is that Gandalf the White is "uncloaked"; he is allowed to exhibit more of his innate power because he has passed trials.

Basically all the wizards show up in midgard with an arm tied behind their backs. Then the Valar let Gandalf untie his arm.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

You might also read that Gandalf the White is immune to injury by conventional means. When the three hunters pull out on him in Fangorn, a gesture of his staff strikes Gimli’s axe from his grip, freezes Anduril (a sword which could kill Sauron!) in Aragorn’s hand, and incinerates Legolas’ arrow in midair. He says specifically afterwards, by way of dismissing their apologies, “indeed none of you have any weapon that could hurt me”. When he confronts the Witchking at the gate, too, he shows absolutely no concern for any injury a flaming sword of dark magic might do him: he doesn’t even move. I don’t think this is mere Ben Kenobi moment of sacrifice; as with his refusal to let the Balrog pass, he has every faith in his power to simply deny his enemy passage, but this time without sword or staff. Though of course the Witchking wimps out before testing this.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The problem with Gandalf is separating his angel power from the power of his Ring.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

skasion posted:

You might also read that Gandalf the White is immune to injury by conventional means. When the three hunters pull out on him in Fangorn, a gesture of his staff strikes Gimli’s axe from his grip, freezes Anduril (a sword which could kill Sauron!) in Aragorn’s hand, and incinerates Legolas’ arrow in midair. He says specifically afterwards, by way of dismissing their apologies, “indeed none of you have any weapon that could hurt me”. When he confronts the Witchking at the gate, too, he shows absolutely no concern for any injury a flaming sword of dark magic might do him: he doesn’t even move. I don’t think this is mere Ben Kenobi moment of sacrifice; as with his refusal to let the Balrog pass, he has every faith in his power to simply deny his enemy passage, but this time without sword or staff. Though of course the Witchking wimps out before testing this.

In case anyone hasn't reread this passage recently, it's probably my favorite:

quote:

In rode the Lord of the Nazgûl. A great black shape against the fires beyond he loomed up, grown to a vast menace of despair. In rode the Lord of the Nazgûl, under the archway that no enemy ever yet had passed, and all fled before his face.

All save one. There waiting, silent and still in the space before the Gate, sat Gandalf upon Shadowfax: Shadowfax who alone among the free horses of the earth endured the terror, unmoving, steadfast as a graven image in Rath Dínen.

‘You cannot enter here,’ said Gandalf, and the huge shadow halted. ‘Go back to the abyss prepared for you! Go back! Fall into the nothingness that awaits you and your Master. Go!’

The Black Rider flung back his hood, and behold! he had a kingly crown; and yet upon no head visible was it set. The red fires shone between it and the mantled shoulders vast and dark. From a mouth unseen there came a deadly laughter.

‘Old fool!’ he said. ‘Old fool! This is my hour. Do you not know Death when you see it? Die now and curse in vain!’ And with that he lifted high his sword and flames ran down the blade.

Gandalf did not move. And in that very moment, away behind in some courtyard of the City, a cock crowed. Shrill and clear he crowed, recking nothing of wizardry or war, welcoming only the morning that in the sky far above the shadows of death was coming with the dawn.

And as if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horns, horns. In dark Mindolluin’s sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the North wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

skasion posted:

You might also read that Gandalf the White is immune to injury by conventional means. When the three hunters pull out on him in Fangorn, a gesture of his staff strikes Gimli’s axe from his grip, freezes Anduril (a sword which could kill Sauron!) in Aragorn’s hand, and incinerates Legolas’ arrow in midair. He says specifically afterwards, by way of dismissing their apologies, “indeed none of you have any weapon that could hurt me”.

The book is more subdued

quote:

At that moment the old man quickened his pace and came with surprising speed to the foot of the rock-wall. Then suddenly he looked up, while they stood motionless looking down. There was no sound. They could not see his face: he was hooded, and above the hood he wore a wide-brimmed hat, so that all his features were overshadowed, except for the end of his nose and his grey beard. Yet it seemed to Aragorn that he caught the gleam of eyes keen and bright from within the shadow of the hooded brows. At last the old man broke the silence. ‘Well met indeed, my friends,’ he said in a soft voice. ‘I wish to speak to you. Will you come down, or shall I come up?’ Without waiting for an answer he began to climb. ‘Now!’ cried Gimli. ‘Stop him, Legolas!’

‘Did I not say that I wished to speak to you?’ said the old man. ‘Put away that bow, Master Elf!’ The bow and arrow fell from Legolas’ hands, and his arms hung loose at his sides. ‘And you, Master Dwarf, pray take your hand from your axe-haft, till I am up! You will not need such arguments.’ Gimli started and then stood still as stone, staring, while the old man sprang up the rough steps as nimbly as a goat. All weariness seemed to have left him. As he stepped up on to the shelf there was a gleam, too brief for certainty, a quick glint of white, as if some garment shrouded by the grey rags had been for an instant revealed. The intake of Gimli’s breath could be heard as a loud hiss in the silence.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Again that power comes from I think his authority (new) as master of the White Council. He certainly has the voice of Saruman now at least.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

euphronius posted:

The book is more subdued

It is not. skip forward a page or two.

quote:

’Saruman!’ cried Gimli, springing towards him with axe in hand. ‘Speak! Tell us where you have hidden our friends! What have you done with them? Speak, or I will make a dint in your hat that even a wizard will find it hard to deal with!’

The old man was too quick for him. He sprang to his feet and leaped to the top of a large rock. There he stood, grown suddenly tall, towering above them. His hood and his grey rags were flung away. His white garments shone. He lifted up his staff, and Gimli’s axe leaped from his grasp and fell ringing on the ground. The sword of Aragorn, stiff in his motionless hand, blazed with a sudden fire. Legolas gave a great shout and shot an arrow high into the air: it vanished in a flash of flame.

‘Mithrandir!’ he cried. ‘Mithrandir!’

‘Well met, I say to you again, Legolas!’ said the old man.

And then:

quote:

He stepped down from the rock, and picking up his grey cloak wrapped it about him: it seemed as if the sun had been shining, but now was hid in cloud again. ‘Yes, you may still call me Gandalf,’ he said, and the voice was the voice of their old friend and guide. ‘Get up, my good Gimli! No blame to you, and no harm done to me. Indeed my friends, none of you have any weapon that could hurt me. Be merry! We meet again. At the turn of the tide. The great storm is coming, but the tide has turned.’

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh my bad . Should have kept reading

He had similar power as Gandalf the grey tho. Remember the whole ghost werewolf fight where he turned into an elemental.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It does feel like sometimes Tolkien backs himself into a corner by writing about powerful demigods and monsters and then still wanting traditional army-on-army fighting to matter. It mostly works but he has to make a bunch of concessions to make it work

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So in all I’d say Gandalf the white as compared to Gandalf the Grey has more political authority but the same martial and magical power to the extent Tolkien was even worried about such things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

cheetah7071 posted:

In case anyone hasn't reread this passage recently, it's probably my favorite:

I think "immune to injury" in this circumstance is not a product of some sort of divine power, but a product of Faith, capitalized: Gandalf knows that the Witch-King cannot harm him, the same way that Aslan knows he will return from the Stone Table. The Witch King clearly believes he has the (magical) power to harm and defeat Gandalf, and he probably does -- earlier, Gandalf expresses some doubt and concern about facing him -- but that's not what wins. What wins the day for Gandalf is Faith and the intervening hand of Providence (in this case, horns of the north wildly blowing).

One of the big differences between Gandalf the Grey and Gandalf the White is that G.W. "sees more clearly"; he had to go cloaked and veiled and with his power hidden before. Now that he walks openly he can see openly, that is, with more Faith.

euphronius posted:

The problem with Gandalf is separating his angel power from the power of his Ring.

This is generally pretty clear: his Angel power is subtle and/or involves lots of white light. His Ring-derived powers generally involve explicit fire imagery (such as his ring of fire against the wolves at Caradhras). There's a certain amount of overlap (such as when he kindles the spirits of Theoden or the Gondorians etc) but generally it's not too hard.

euphronius posted:

So in all I’d say Gandalf the white as compared to Gandalf the Grey has more political authority but the same martial and magical power to the extent Tolkien was even worried about such things

I'm not sure this is a valid distinction in Tolkien's cosmology. To an extent at least, Tolkien's Catholicism here shows through; Power is Authority. Just as Aragorn has certain specific magical powers (use of the Palantir; "hands of a healer") because he is the Rightful Heir to the Throne, Gandalf has more magical power because of his elevated station.

This is also a large part of why Gandalf can defeat the Balrog; it's not just that Gandalf is a Maia and bears a Ring of Power specializing in Flame (and the Balrog is a flame Maia of Aule gone bad); it's that Gandalf is a Servant of the Secret Fire and the Dark Fire cannot avail against that. It lacks the Authority. Gandalf is not just pontificating or tossing threats at the Bridge of Khazad-Dum; he is stating Law.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 9, 2018