Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I actually sent TTcombat an email a while back asking about the lack of availability in the US, and this was their reply:

"Kingsley Distribution is our sister company that deals with orders for retailers. We're currently working to try to get the previous distributors in the states to keep up with their orders. At the moment we're just waiting for them to get their orders in! The best thing for DZC and DFC fans to do to get that to happen is to go to your local store and keep pestering them to stock the games! We're pretty much ready to go whenever, we just need stores to get involved! :)"

This was in January.

I'm still trying to hope the situation will improve, but I'm not very optimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I wonder if they have tried marketing this to the stores lately.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Just had a random thought that may be terrible. What if there was a 'blockade' ship class in Dropfleet? Something, probably a smaller hull, that could inhibit your opponents ability to reach clusters? It sits over a cluster, so in low orbit where other ships can target it, and then proceeds to get in your opponents way forcing them to kill it if they want to contest a cluster.

Fluff wise I'm thinking it plays on the 'defensive halo' described in Dropzone as the reason why factions don't kill your entire army with missiles launched from off the table. Supposedly each faction has drone swarms/point defence missiles/counter measures to knock any long ranged attacks out before they arrive, so maybe they build whole ships around doing that to the max.

Maybe it is a ship that destroys dropships/bulk landers launched at the cluster, like a whole bunch of defense batteries or even a flat 'nope, you can't land here until you kill me' effect.
Maybe it is a ship that prevents orbital bombardment on a cluster it is defending.
For the Shaltari, maybe it has a secondary ability that prevents voidgates from operating in proximity to it allowing for one Shaltari player to disrupt a hostile gate chain. Fluff wise that would seem to fit as we know Shaltari Tribes fight each other all the drat time.

I dunno, there's probably other effects along these lines I haven't thought of yet. What I do think could be cool though is if the effects apply to both sides. You can't land here, and neither can I! Oh crap I just turned off my own voidgate as well as yours....

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I know the TTCombat guys answered all my emails fairly quickly. As long as we get our :10bux: when the big ships drop I'm fine. Otherwise I'll have to send them another email... the refunds should have been given by now from the last estimate I heard from them.

Ugleb posted:

Just had a random thought that may be terrible. What if there was a 'blockade' ship class in Dropfleet? Something, probably a smaller hull, that could inhibit your opponents ability to reach clusters? It sits over a cluster, so in low orbit where other ships can target it, and then proceeds to get in your opponents way forcing them to kill it if they want to contest a cluster.

I know the voidgate works as a deterrent from bulk landers, so something like a super voidgate could be interesting. Make them weak enough for corvettes to hunt and it would add an interesting twist.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Also, I will be running some games of Dropfleet at Gameholecon in November (Madison, Wi): https://www.gameholecon.com/events#...OutEvents=false

Note that the space will be super limited... I think I can only get 2 games running during the event time. But there is plenty of open gaming, so visit during the event and we can get some games in while I'm free.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

TTCombat are now looking for DzC beta feedback.

quote:

Hey Commanders! It’s time to start collecting all your feedback from the current Beta rules. To submit your feedback simply email us at DropzoneV2Beta@gmail.com and following these instructions:

-Submissions will be collected until September 4th.

-Please provide constructive feedback. This includes both what the issue is and a suggested fix.

-Please try and keep your feedback clear and to the point. Long drawn out explanations can sometimes cloud what the intention of your feedback or question is.

-Try and include all of your feedback in one email, but if you need to add to your submission we would appreciate you using the same initial email thread if possible.

-There’s no need to point out grammatical errors at this point as we’ll be reviewing all of that before posting the updated rules and units.

-We’ll be taking feedback for both rules, currently posted units, and any suggested changes you think is missing.

-Keep all feedback you’re submitting related to the Dropzone Beta rules and units.

Please keep in mind that all previously unposted units are currently being worked on and will be posted soon, so no need to point that out. We will try to acknowledge every submission and reply if any clarification is needed but if you haven’t received a reply that doesn’t mean we’re ignoring you so don’t worry that your feedback isn’t appreciated. Thank you all for your contribution as we work together to create the best 2nd edition possible.

Thanks,
TTCombat Staff

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Ugleb posted:

We are supposedly getting defence monitors in Battle for Earth. They will presumably have some way to interdict a cluster.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Ugleb posted:

TTCombat are now looking for DzC beta feedback.
I was starting to wonder if this was ever going to happen. Time to dig out my old feedback notes since last i asked the previous feedback got lost in the great reshuffling.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

BIG NEWS DAY PEOPLE!!!

..I'm actually getting close to fielding my Shaltari fleet from the kickstarter! :D

Also, Dreadnoughts are up on pre-order and they has rules I haven't seen yet.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Apparently map credits are now rolling out, but need to be spent by October 5th. So don't hang about!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Dreadnought rules look cool for the most part; I'm kind of annoyed at how many different attack types the London has, means I can't just grab all 40-ish dice and roll them at once.

Also gonna pester TTCombat to see if I can get my outstanding Talon Points converted into store credit with the map credit.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I'm glad they are finally rolling it out, seems weird to put a deadline on using it though.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Full Cloak on the Nosferatu?! Holy catfish! They're both pretty light on firepower though (Scald keeps them suitably painful), but I'm having flashbacks to Akuma Supremacy.

The UCM Dicenaught is as expected, and I like the way their supercarrier keeps the heavy guns. The PHR whale-dread looks pretty cool but I'm not sure I see the point of the !planetcracking one.

Shaltari having lighter DNs with voidgates is a nice touch, too. All in all the dreads look pretty good.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Pash posted:

I'm glad they are finally rolling it out, seems weird to put a deadline on using it though.

I suspect they are keen to wrap up the kickstarter liability and move forwards knowing its all done. Also, they are putting a considerable amount of cash into this credit. Every backer is owed at least £5 for the radar map before you even get to the actual add ons. 5,000 backers claiming at £5 a pop is £25,000! They probably don't like the thought of not knowing when people are going to decide to buy thousands of pounds of stock on credit.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The D's are cool as gently caress! Fair play.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

You folks got your credits yet? TTCombat's facebook page says they have all been sent out but I have not seen anything in either of my email addresses associated with pledges I made... They said their might be a delay in them showing up for some reason but to check with them if you have not seen anything by Wednesday.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Pash posted:

You folks got your credits yet? TTCombat's facebook page says they have all been sent out but I have not seen anything in either of my email addresses associated with pledges I made... They said their might be a delay in them showing up for some reason but to check with them if you have not seen anything by Wednesday.

I haven't seen anything yet. Checked junk mail too.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I didn't get mine either, so I contacted TTcombat using Facebook messenger, they picked it up first thing this morning and sent me my credit, which I have spent.

Give them your email and kickstarter user name, they seem to be sorting out issues very quickly if you go direct.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

I messaged them this morning with the emails I pledged under and got my credit in legit under like 2 minutes.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I'm not sure they have humans operating that helpdesk from the response times people seem to be getting! I think they are running some AI server farm but only during office hours to cut power costs and give the illusion that they have caring humans on the other end.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Apparently Talons got their refund rolled into their talon points and I totally forgot about that. Now I'll have to wait for however long that takes.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

wdarkk posted:

Apparently Talons got their refund rolled into their talon points and I totally forgot about that. Now I'll have to wait for however long that takes.

I'm happy if they're still honouring that, i had kinda given up on it after hearing nothing for so long.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Oh cool, it sounded like they had really shafted Talons by deleting all of their data. Glad to hear you guys are still getting your reward. I imagine it will go out quite soon now, there were far less Talons than backers to handle.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I really hope the new supplement and new edition injects life back into the game. I'm about to unpack my UCM and PHR fleets after a house move and I realised none of them has seen a table in anger.

I've never gotten a game of Dropfleet since the launch and there's this infuriating aura of "haha it'll be crushed when Games Workshop releases Battlefleet Gothic 2" in my local FLGS. The aura of toxicity around the Kickstarter seemed to put a lot of people off right when the game was ramping up :(

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Bfg kinda sucks and a new Bfg will also suck. Dropfleet really needs some basic rule revisits not to suck as well though

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Have GW even confirmed a new BFG yet? I remember them hinting about maybe possibly going back to it at some point along with every other old title in their back catalogue.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

How's Guild Ball doing? Bloodbowl seems way more beloved than BFG.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I’d actually be able to buy BFG in the US, which would be a pretty big selling point for it to me regardless of how crap the rules are.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

There seems to be a large disconnect between TTcombat insisting they do not have a US supply problem, and potential customers not being able to buy stuff.

Something ain't right in the middle somewhere. Either it's not as simple as TTcombat think, or US retailers/distributors aren't motivated enough to get the stock in.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

wdarkk posted:

How's Guild Ball doing? Bloodbowl seems way more beloved than BFG.

Guild Ball and Bloodbowl are a heck of a lot more different than BFG and Dropfleet. Both as in game rules and who it appeals to.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

I'm sitting on so much BFG stuff I really need to eBay it before BFG2 rumors start. :effort:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ugleb posted:

There seems to be a large disconnect between TTcombat insisting they do not have a US supply problem, and potential customers not being able to buy stuff.

Something ain't right in the middle somewhere. Either it's not as simple as TTcombat think, or US retailers/distributors aren't motivated enough to get the stock in.
This is also the case in the UK. You can go weeks waiting for a restock of an item but ordering direct gets you it within 5 days.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

It looks like you can't use more than one credit code per order. A buddy of mine and I were hoping to combine our credits/orders to save on shipping to the US. Anyone know if TTCombat can resolve this manually or are we stuck paying two shipping costs?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Haven't a clue, I'd message them on Facebook.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm finally buying the Shaltari and Plague starters off a guy here. Anything I should know? Or can I just get kitbashing?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm finally buying the Shaltari and Plague starters off a guy here. Anything I should know? Or can I just get kitbashing?

Magnetising is harder than it looks but can be done. The Scourge cruisers are surprisingly friction-fit - I haven't even glued most of mine, since the difference between a light and standard cruiser is the shape of the wing sections. Oh, and the Scourge wings are sharp. Watch out for them as you cut them off the sprues.

If you mean in terms of fleet builds, all the starter fleets are solid and the game is fairly low on trap options. Expect Scourge cruisers to die quickly (their light cruisers die if you sneeze on them). The Shaltari are the irritating git faction so play them accordingly and lean into their gimmicks.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Started putting my fleets together. I noticed that in my box, there were 10 craft but only 8 widgets (one widget wheel). The Voidgates rest on the stems well enough without the widgets, so I guess it's not a big deal, but is that intentional?

Also, I'm assuming that I didn't need the stickers to align with anything on the base (the colored one, not the numbers)....

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
You don't have to align the stickers with anything specific but it helps to have them always in the same alignment. For example I put mine so that spikes are always on starboard and altitude is always portside instead of trying to figure it out every time I have to set a state.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah I recommend aligning your stickers in a way that makes sense to you. Then clone it, it just makes gameplay easier than playing "hunt for the low orbit" or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Also, I don't use the pegs for tracking hull points because they are a pain (I just use dice), but it is worth painting up a couple pegs in different colors and use those as squad indicators. That way is you have 2 squads with 2 gargoyles each you can add a red peg to two of them, a blue peg to two of them, and track them easily.