Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kongurous
May 22, 2010

Kurieg posted:

basically OPP should stop doing april fool's jokes.

The only one that isn't a complete embarrassment or disappointment (that I can recall, anyway) is Dudes of Legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
EDIT: Actually I did misread that. Dudes of Legend is embarrassing on purpose and I don't think it properly lands the joke for that reason, but "complete embarrassment" is a different look.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 6, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Comrade Gorbash posted:

You mean the one with the catalogue entry:

I think there's somewhat different definitions of embarrassing going on here.

Katana tucked in a g-string seems pretty dangerous

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

It manages to go so over the top that, while still a satirical send up, loops back around to being completely embarrassing to have someone catch a glimpse of over your shoulder. Also occasionally runs into the issues with making fun of something by saying it ironically.

But yeah I read "embarrassing" instead of "complete embarrassment," which I don't think it is, the way a lot of other WoD and related April Fool's stuff has been.

Also re-posting the catalog entry to avoid confusion:

quote:

Strippers? Awesome. Lesbian strippers? Double-awesome. Lesbian strippers whipping off their trenchcoats only to reveal a katana tucked delicately in a garter or g-string? That is a face full of awesome. Your face will be dripping with awesome. The sauce of awesome will give you a nasal enema.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

kongurous posted:

The only one that isn't a complete embarrassment or disappointment (that I can recall, anyway) is Dudes of Legend.

You seem to have forgotten the one they did this year (I believe?) which was the Scion Tingler.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I didn't know Guy Fieri wrote RPGs.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I see somebody subscribes to the Kung Fu Panda school of comedy theory that if you say the word 'awesome' enough then it bends the words around so that it becomes funny.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

More of the material in it works than you'd expect, but when it falls flat it REALLY falls flat.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Alan Alexander was also the one who decided that Exalted was too gay and too matriarchal, so he made a point of nailing down all unspecified NPCs as hetero and all nations as patriarchal.

Perfect guy to write V20 supplements. :rolleyes:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
VtR is still good right? The nWoD was always better anyway

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Well, it's good now. They've mostly cast off the kind of writers that came up with BvD.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Liquid Communism posted:

I didn't know Guy Fieri wrote RPGs.
https://twitter.com/fartpowder/status/956939855975591936

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Liquid Communism posted:

Matt, being a smart cookie who's at a game con right now, has set his Twitter to private and disabled much of his official web presence to avoid having to moderate all the chud outrage.

Meanwhile, the chud (who I refuse to dignify with a name) has started a gofundme to try and bring a civil case.

https://t.co/MknyfXqxzU

Lol you can read through the donor list of all the non-anonymous donors and like 40% of the ones I saw who donated to more than one Gofundme donated to at least one of Sargon of Akkad, Dankula, or that LGS that got decertified by MtG for having all the racist signage.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

The chud economic sphere.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

some loving LIAR posted:

Lol you can read through the donor list of all the non-anonymous donors and like 40% of the ones I saw who donated to more than one Gofundme donated to at least one of Sargon of Akkad, Dankula, or that LGS that got decertified by MtG for having all the racist signage.

but that lgs said they were really nice and accepting and everyone was welcome!!! TOTALLY BIASED

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

this is pretty much how the chud world goes, the loud guys grift off the nerds.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Rand Brittain posted:

Alan Alexander was also the one who decided that Exalted was too gay and too matriarchal, so he made a point of nailing down all unspecified NPCs as hetero and all nations as patriarchal.

This explains a lot about the 2e supplements that I declared unacceptable at my table for non-mechanical reasons. Like Infernals.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Joe Slowboat posted:

This explains a lot about the 2e supplements that I declared unacceptable at my table for non-mechanical reasons. Like Infernals.

gently caress that book. I can't believe to this day that it got published, even on the White Wolf Memorial Scale of Edgelord.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

NuWW seems intent on not only reaching that level again, but surpassing it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Comrade Gorbash posted:

NuWW seems intent on not only reaching that level again, but surpassing it.

True art must shock. Or something.

kongurous
May 22, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

You seem to have forgotten the one they did this year (I believe?) which was the Scion Tingler.

Anything Onyx Path has made since maybe 2015 has completely missed me!

Comrade Gorbash posted:

It manages to go so over the top that, while still a satirical send up, loops back around to being completely embarrassing to have someone catch a glimpse of over your shoulder. Also occasionally runs into the issues with making fun of something by saying it ironically.

But yeah I read "embarrassing" instead of "complete embarrassment," which I don't think it is, the way a lot of other WoD and related April Fool's stuff has been.

Also re-posting the catalog entry to avoid confusion:

It's plenty embarrassing, especially today, and I'm sure if I went back and read it, a good bit of it might fall flat for me. But by the tastes of the time, and by the standards of my sense of humor at the time, I found it amusing and a respectable entry as an April Fool's product rather than lazily cashing in on a dead meme, or whatever. But am I gonna say go find it right now and read it, you'll love it - no, I'm not prepared to stand by that statement.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

So if Abyssals was the one with the teenager turned into the birthing machine, what was in Infernals?

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Arivia posted:

So if Abyssals was the one with the teenager turned into the birthing machine, what was in Infernals?

Infernals was the one with the teenager turned into a birthing machine.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Abyssals is the one where there's a lady who keeps kidnapping children and making them into supersoldiers who are permanently stuck at age 12 every time the last one she had dies.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

IIRC it's worse than that. As in she keeps them on rooms furnished with soulsteel made from their parents, eventually lets them retire to have families, then murders them to take their kids and start the process over.

She's iterating to make the perfect child abuse monster.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Abyssals had a lot of bikini witching, a disease-inflicting organ made out of dead children, a female zombie that fired stillborn babies filled with acid at people, etc.

The usual.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
What's also obnoxious about infernals is there's some conceptually interesting mechanics and setting bits in there with how their charms work thematically around the yozis, and developing demon shintais and such. And Malfeas itself is an interesting and weird place with some potential for alien adventures and stuff. But that's all bracketed by big swaths of demonic gangbangs and teen birthing chambers and other edgelord crap.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Desiden posted:

What's also obnoxious about infernals is there's some conceptually interesting mechanics and setting bits in there with how their charms work thematically around the yozis, and developing demon shintais and such. And Malfeas itself is an interesting and weird place with some potential for alien adventures and stuff. But that's all bracketed by big swaths of demonic gangbangs and teen birthing chambers and other edgelord crap.

Compass: Malfeas is good, and actually lays out the settingn of Malfeas.
Infernals is bad. All of its fluff is bad-to-horrible.
The charms chapter of Infernals was built to function under paranoia combat, so was more functional than other charmsets until the big errata.
The artifacts were extremely uneven mechanically but conceptually cool.
The art was hellishly awful, in ways nobody could have expected.

Somehow, Infernals were the most popular splat on the old White Wolf forums, which is why they got an entire charms set for an alternate universe version of their powers in Shards of the Exalted Dream, which is generally a decent book.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Infernals got really big because it was the first of the Charmsets in 2e that was actually cool and interesting, and made everything that came before it clearly unacceptable in its wake. It also was built knowing what all the faults in 2e's mechanics were, and basically just built itself up on stilts so that if you were playing an Infernal you could ignore most of them.

Then when the errata sort-of fixed those problems, they fell apart.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Infernals is easily my favorite charmset of the edition thematically, and almost all of their actual mechanics were pretty rad, like Acts of Villainy. All of the Moran-derived demon stuff was really evocative and cool. Unfortunately, it's anchored to several chapters of Surprise Demon Sex and other distasteful nonsense.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Abyssals had a lot of bikini witching, a disease-inflicting organ made out of dead children, a female zombie that fired stillborn babies filled with acid at people, etc.

The usual.

I'm not super into Exalted because my eyes glaze over at all the words, but I do remember enjoying the West book and there the Deathlord was just... I dunno, using First Age tech to build a super navy in secret?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Infernals is easily my favorite charmset of the edition thematically, and almost all of their actual mechanics were pretty rad, like Acts of Villainy. All of the Moran-derived demon stuff was really evocative and cool. Unfortunately, it's anchored to several chapters of Surprise Demon Sex and other distasteful nonsense.

Infernals is an excellent study in mechanics-as-message, thematic design, and carrot-mechanics.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

LatwPIAT posted:

Infernals is an excellent study in mechanics-as-message, thematic design, and carrot-mechanics.

Yeah. It's a real study on how to enforce a given feel / characterization without resorting to something like the "if you break this rule you lose pips on this meter, we promise you this matters" mechanic that you usually see in White Wolf games.

Pretty much all of the splatbooks usually had some good ideas and fail points because they were frankensteined together by different freelancers of varying mechanical and writing skills. Alchemicals is the only one I can think of that didn't have any obvious points where it fell down, mainly on account of it being a late-era book by experienced developers on the line.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

moths posted:

It's pretty clearly meant to only mean in physical appearance, and have nothing to do with identity.

It's basically rolling premature aging / baby face and naturally neutral looks into one feat to make your master of disguising easier.

I agree that it could be better written, I'd have gone with "you have a boring face that makes it easy to disguise yourself."

Basically just another expression of writers not keeping it simple. Why RPG writers feel like they're writing dictionaries I'll never understand. I guess it's because it's normal in writing to get paid by the word? But yeah, this thing is exactly the same as the dozens of old RPGs that specify that Seduction is the art of coercing members of the opposite sex to do what you want them to. They didn't need to go all hetero-normative and they knew that. Even if the book was from the late 70s the author had heard of gay people, 100% of the time. Here we see the author saying "You've got a forgettable and easily disguised face" and thinking "yeah, I can get 100 words out of that."

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'll cut them some slight slack in that it's PF, and they fully expect that their target playerbase will hinge attempts to make game breaking builds that are technically legal and therefore the GM must allow them based on the definition of 'is'.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Paizo has actually been very overtly and stupidly against anyone engaging with their mechanics, and will errata their books if someone finds an interesting way to use a mechanic to specifically remove that mechanic.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The thing that really gets me is that it's three feats in one statbox. You're not just a master of disguise, you're androgynous, or you're of unusual size, or time has done fucky things with your appearance.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Yeah Infernal mechanics were great, easily the best in all 2e. Shame about the rest of the book.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The SJW enemies of Jeremy Hambly better watch out! His story got picked up... by Campus Reform, noted alt-right house organ. The Indy PD, on the other hand, could not possibly care less and have pretty much closed the case. THERE IS NO JUSTICE THERE IS JUST US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
The other cool thing about infernals was that there was very explicit design-your-charm space in them in that there's more yozis than are detailed, and even a bunch that are detailed didn't get mechanics (including the ones that IIRC explicitly contributed) and this got expanded on further with the heresy stuff which poured nitro into that and made them the Your Dudes splat. A LOT of things have become popular based on giving a thematic outline to design unique OCs in (see also Homestuck trolls, Steven Universe gems, My Hero Academia quirks...)