Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I've been in 4 battles now and every single one of them had 1 or 2 'pink' ships on my team. First T2 random battle had me hit twice by my own team (and not the pink guys). Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

The Locator posted:

Returning to botes

You probably have a gifted Giulio Cesare in your port if you were away for ages. That is now your credit farming ship, it is a T7 BB at T5 and you should end up with a 60%+ WR and farm 150-200k credits per game reliably. The thing is completely broken if you're willing to learn how to play battleships properly.

You can have good fun with decent enough players from T5-T7, lots of non-shitters play around those tiers due to the nightmare that is T8 matchmaking and the prevelance of complete spuds at T10. Won't take many games to get a couple of fun T6-T7 ships. If you just want to have fun straight away buy a Scharnhorst with some of those doubloons. I put off buying the horse until it went 50% off recently and i massively regret not getting her earlier. If you get poo poo matchmaking, it's a great cruiser. If you get good matchmaking, it shits on everything. You play it as a brawling beast and can often decide games in the first 4-5 minutes.

Some keeper ships at the lower Tiers are stuff like the US DD Clemson, German BB Bayern, IJN CA Myoko & Fututaka and BB Fuso. I also like the Pensacola at T6 but i'm an idiot who is wrong. Pro-est tip is not to grind one line only, work down a few at a time, it keeps the madness away.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
If you're in the newbie matchmaking, expect them to be a bit careless with the torps. Now if they're hitting you with guns.... uhh.....

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The other day I got my smokestacks blown off in my Murmansk because a New York was tunnel visioning on an enemy. He even ran into me and dragged me a couple of kilometers when I was sitting stationary behind an island to shoot over it.
So yes, it is very possible to accidentally get hit with guns :v:

Also holy wow my New Orleans had a horrible time today just trying to get a win. Roflstomps, lemming trains, BB's sitting at the back swimming in circles, the works.

Meanwhile in my Cleveland it mostly came down to whoever got momentum first and in my third game with it my team got the momentum and kept it. Ended up swimming around at 658 health but we won and I was third on the scoreboard.

Take that people who say tier 5-7 MM is better than 8 :colbert:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Rolling around in a T3 French cruiser the Friant (I think). Always low tier, and learning to not be in front. Last game went quite well though, managed to be positioned properly to charge around the corner at the end and broadside torps into both the enemy T4 carriers to end the game. Was sure nice of them to be right next to each other so I could sail in between them like that!

masterpine posted:

You probably have a gifted Giulio Cesare in your port if you were away for ages. That is now your credit farming ship, it is a T7 BB at T5 and you should end up with a 60%+ WR and farm 150-200k credits per game reliably. The thing is completely broken if you're willing to learn how to play battleships properly.

I actually do have one of those, thanks!

Have quite a few premiums actually. Fairly sure some of them came from the pre-order package, but others I don't recognize so I guess I just got at some point for having an account.

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to stick to my lowbie ships at least for a short time while I figure out at least a little bit what I'm doing before I inflict myself on teams with a T5 BB. Another good game like that last one and I can unlock the first French BB at T3. Doesn't look like the french have any DD's.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 7, 2018

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

El Disco posted:

It's hard to tell if it's a gimmick or if he's literally insane.

I had another match with him tonight and I'm leaning towards gimmick.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

bloom posted:

T8 MM is a loving nightmare and WG should have implemented +1/-1 MM years ago. Not only in WoWs but also in WoT and probably in the plane game as well(never played that one).

Planes has +1 mm! It's one of the few nice things about it.

The Locator posted:

Ok, so I played one battle and have an immediate question. How can I make my mini-map bigger? It's a tiny little postage stamp in the corner of my screen that I can barely see. :v:

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out in battle 2.

Congrats on being in the top 10% of players.

You may think I am joking, I am not. Welcome to botes.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 7, 2018

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

Congrats on being in the top 10% of players.

You may think I am joking, I am not. Welcome to botes.

Oh I'm sure you aren't joking, I spent way too much time playing tanks, and played a fair amount of botes in beta.

I had a pretty good run tonight, but took out the premium for a final battle and did terrible and I'm sure that will end up being a loss.

Unlocked the T3 French BB and in my first battle did mediocre, about as much damage out as I had in HP, but my team won. Just like tanks, some of these ships are pretty terrible unless you spend xp and money upgrading them, and that stock BB is pretty bad. Still, my very first BB salvo landed for a tick over 9k damage, and I hit with at least 1 round more than 50% of the time. Helps that the max range is utter poo poo. :v:

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Have no fear making GBS threads up games in a T5 BB, if you're in the GC you'll be fine. The two keys to playing it is that for one it has incredible vertical dispersion but also moderatly low calibre shells, meaning you wait to shoot the thing that gives you broadside. Secondly, It has quite weak armour so if you are the one showing broadside, you get in trouble. It forces you to play like you need to play at higher tiers so no drama in getting a headstart on playstyle. The combo of accurate guns and swift, nimble sailing make it amazing. No other lower tier BB comes close to it.

If you're looking at going down the French BB line it'll also give you some respite from how god-awful they are up until you reach the Lyon at T7 (I actually hate the Lyon too). French BB line is worth it for the Richy/Alsace/Republique as they're all great ships.

The reason you've got a few random ships and stuff is that the longer an account is inactive the more WG rains poo poo on it to get you to play again. Them giving me a GC worked on my brain so it's not a terrible strategy. I think the current reward for returning players is a one week USS Massachusetts rental, 100k FXP, tons of signals and 5mil credits.

If you are intelligent enough to know that you need to think a bit harder about playing botes then you are already a better player than 80% of the playerbase, dont fear playing higher tier botes because by just sticking at low tier you'll progress very slowly. Botes is more populated by terminal shitters than any other game, it's genuinly remarkable.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Got complemented in game for blind firing and killing a DD in my Torture Bote (my first of three kills). I feel weird.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

masterpine posted:

If you're looking at going down the French BB line it'll also give you some respite from how god-awful they are up until you reach the Lyon at T7 (I actually hate the Lyon too). French BB line is worth it for the Richy/Alsace/Republique as they're all great ships.

I found the Bretagne and Normandie to be perfectly good boats apart from their worthless AA, which is hardly a unique flaw at T5/6.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Got complemented in game for blind firing and killing a DD in my Torture Bote (my first of three kills). I feel weird.

Honestly one of the most satisfying things in the entire game is firing where you think an invisible DD should be, and getting a massive hit or kill.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again
the new targeter (old X mod) on the mini map has made this relatively easy now but still feels cool when you get pens

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Loky11 posted:

the new targeter (old X mod) on the mini map has made this relatively easy now but still feels cool when you get pens

I got two kills during a cyclone in my Yamato from welllll outside the 8km visual range thanks to the minimap marker. That poo poo ownsssssssss. I hadn't used the mod before this, but uh :stare: god drat. It makes extremely high damage games so much more common.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Last night I was driving my Missouri, and a Tashkent showed me his rear end at 8km, and I immediately dev struck him with like 4-5 full pens.

I felt bad

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

masterpine posted:

Have no fear making GBS threads up games in a T5 BB, if you're in the GC you'll be fine.

Woops... that wasn't even the ship I played, my bad. I played a T6 premium cruiser, the French "De Grasse". Haha.. don't even know what ship I sailed with!

Looks like I have a few premiums:
Yubari
Arkansas B
Sims
Gremyashchy
Murmanke
De Grasse
Giulio Cesare

Question on premiums and commanders in WoWs vs. WoT. I know I can use them to train my commanders, but do they have to be the correct type (i.e. DD, CA, BB) or just the same country?

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Locator posted:

Woops... that wasn't even the ship I played, my bad. I played a T6 premium cruiser, the French "De Grasse". Haha.. don't even know what ship I sailed with!

Looks like I have a few premiums:
Yubari
Arkansas B
Sims
Gremyashchy
Murmanke
De Grasse
Giulio Cesare

Question on premiums and commanders in WoWs vs. WoT. I know I can use them to train my commanders, but do they have to be the correct type (i.e. DD, CA, BB) or just the same country?

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

Just the same country will work, there's no hard coded class penalty, but the skills typically used on different classes usually only partially overlap, so YMMV

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Hmm. I've been using Jack Dunkirk on the UK BBs, but I noticed the Conq's special module makes the turrets super fast already, which really only leaves him with a 5% faster heal. I'm only on the Monarch atm, so there's no rush, but perhaps he'd be better off on the DDs when they come out? Neither the DDs or the LC need EM though, so it's a bit annoying to find a good use for him.

E: Also you can get the T-61 early on EU if you both sign up on this page and spend 25k doubloons in the next few days:
https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/special/t-time/

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 7, 2018

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

pokchu posted:

Last night I was driving my Missouri, and a Tashkent showed me his rear end at 8km, and I immediately dev struck him with like 4-5 full pens.

I felt bad

Never feel bad for killing dd's

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

weekly reminder that CV's are pieces of poo poo that ruin every match they're in and especially gently caress the needle-dicked pedants that play them

e: miss me with those "git gud" platitudes from the cv-apologists itt. the class is loving broken, it ruins the experience for 22 other people every time you click battle

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 7, 2018

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

weekly reminder that CV's are pieces of poo poo that ruin every match they're in and especially gently caress the needle-dicked pedants that play them

e: miss me with those "git gud" platitudes from the cv-apologists itt. the class is loving broken, it ruins the experience for 22 other people every time you click battle

People are always like "people who play good AA builds like them!" but no, I loving hate them in my Neptune and in my Cleveland because even though I murderfuck them, they ruin my island camping by bullshit spotting me through a loving mountain just at the edge of my AA range. It's absurd that they know it's broken so bad they have to do a full rework but yet in the meantime they also let people just play around with a stupidly broken class. I also mean broken as in it both sucks unless you are amazing at it, to a degree that you literally can't do anything, and is also an unstoppable monster if you're in the elite percentage of people who can effectively multitask 800 squadrons at a time via a broken laggy UI.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

it’s weird how planes is the only game without WG lovely artillery mechanic but no one plays it

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The only time CVs are good are when you're the one in a fishing division.

There is no other time where they are acceptable.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

toadee posted:

People are always like "people who play good AA builds like them!" but no, I loving hate them in my Neptune and in my Cleveland because even though I murderfuck them, they ruin my island camping by bullshit spotting me through a loving mountain just at the edge of my AA range. It's absurd that they know it's broken so bad they have to do a full rework but yet in the meantime they also let people just play around with a stupidly broken class. I also mean broken as in it both sucks unless you are amazing at it, to a degree that you literally can't do anything, and is also an unstoppable monster if you're in the elite percentage of people who can effectively multitask 800 squadrons at a time via a broken laggy UI.

Yeah, I think it's a toss up between oppressive spotting that's like radar that never goes away or the ability to delete ships with little to no risk to oneself.

In less crabby news, Republic is really growing on me.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it’s weird how planes is the only game without WG lovely artillery mechanic but no one plays it

Not really because if you want a grindy planes game and think wowp controls better than war thunder you are mentally retarded

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

DonkeyHotay posted:

Not really because if you want a grindy planes game and think wowp controls better than war thunder you are mentally retarded

tbh my refusal to buy a joystick has kept me from playing either game so i dunno anything about them

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

tbh my refusal to buy a joystick has kept me from playing either game so i dunno anything about them
I think the general consensus is that both work better with a mouse than with a joystick.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Heartcatch posted:

It's finally time for you to challenge quangdu to a duel.

:bahgawd:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Nah, instead WoWP introduced bombers, which are hilariously bullshit depending on tier. As in completely untouchable, because some can get up to an altitude that virtually every other plane in their tier range (not even exact tier) can't even get into gun range of, let alone actually reach themselves. Also WoWP has a signficant PvE component too, which makes it fairly different from the other two to begin with and causes different design decisions.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkIWmsP3c_s

(shame about the team)

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
I hadn't really played much in awhile, saw that there was a tier VII Operation to play, and I have a stock Minsk. It went pretty well, and we did 5 stars - alas, one ally died so we didn't get that medal. I got several compliments, which was nice:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 8, 2018

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

You're in a Conqueror, stop just posting the first screen and claiming it was the team's fault.

Also lol at you complaining about CVs considering how much you've played this piece of cancerous poo poo.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Lord Koth posted:

You're in a Conqueror, stop just posting the first screen and claiming it was the team's fault.

Also lol at you complaining about CVs considering how much you've played this piece of cancerous poo poo.

:salt: :allears:

e: thank you for this, it's hilarious

e2: to elaborate the team wasn't bad, we just got outplayed but again thank you for the foam at the mouth response :discourse:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 8, 2018

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
conq players shouldnt be allowed to have opinions on CVs

but i actually never have problem with conqs because I play mostly DDs, so they end up being food more often than not

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

:salt: :allears:

e: thank you for this, it's hilarious

e2: to elaborate the team wasn't bad, we just got outplayed but again thank you for the foam at the mouth response :discourse:

Literally 1-in-10 games total you've played are in Conqueror, you're not particularly great in it, and it's a ship infamous for farming incredible amounts of damage while contributing virtually nothing to actually winning the game. It's a ship(and line, for that matter) despised on the same level as CVs, and a hell of a lot more common than them at high tiers so it shits up far more games.

So yeah, I'm going to call you on both blaming the team and whining about CVs.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

:allears:

The lovely toxicity is coming from inside the thread.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Please stop fighting and let's talk about the real issues.

Removing the spotting of torpedoes from carrier-based aircraft.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Had an awful night of braindead carriers. Decided to quit and watch some Flamu stream. He's got an awful habit of checking the profiles of people who potato hard on his team in a loss. Had a Hakuryu on his team that didn't launch fighters or move the entire match and flamed in chat, checks profile, 13% ship win rate over like 500 games. Really sums up carriers in this game, you'll have a few complete morons in normal ships and still be able to salvage a win but if you get someone special like that in a CV there's nothing you can do. You can also be terrible in any other ship and never approach game ruining levels like that.

If the CV rework just ends up being an IQ test before taking a carrier into matchmaking that'll probably solve 99% of the issues with carriers.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So last night, my first night in this game, I got to T3, and had 2 losses and 6 wins. Tonight, in T3 the entire time except for 1 battle in the Italian Premium GC BB, I go 2 wins and 6 losses. In the final battle in the GC, I was a total poo poo, doing only 25k damage in the T5 Italian BB, and yet finished in 3rd place on my team, ahead of all the T6 BB's.

Yep.. just like World of Tanks, but on water!

Downside of course is that I was actually good at WoT... not so much in ships at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

:allears:

The lovely toxicity is coming from inside the thread.

yikes