Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Finally read Aquarium. It was good and the negative events in the book aren't as bad as I feared they would be. I've already read Lincoln in the Bardo so I think I'm caught up on "thread favorites".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Cloks posted:

Finally read Aquarium. It was good and the negative events in the book aren't as bad as I feared they would be. I've already read Lincoln in the Bardo so I think I'm caught up on "thread favorites".

read Gravity's Rainbow

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Bilirubin posted:

read Gravity's Rainbow

Read it in high school. I'll probably reread it around Christmas, when I have some time off.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
more people should read iris murdoch's the unicorn imo

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Cloks posted:

babyfucker, by urs allemann

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've just started reading Mason & Dixon since it's been sitting on my shelf for nearly four years.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ulvir posted:

:hai:

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
read Švejk

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Heath posted:

I've just started reading Mason & Dixon since it's been sitting on my shelf for nearly four years.

Same.

It's making me feel dumb.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Reading Krasznahorkai’s Satantango. drat, this book is really something. Estike’s death scene is probably the best dozen or so pages of prose I’ve ever read.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ulvir posted:

to a thread favorite more than one person has to have actually read it

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I found the best approach to reviewing books on goodreads:

Transgender Bathroom posted:

If you'd like to know what I thought of this book, please contact me directly and I'd be happy to discuss it with you.

All the best,

- TB

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Franchescanado posted:

Same.

It's making me feel dumb.

Just read it, Mason & Dixon's a blast. I love that he still found a way to work Star Trek jokes in there, plus Stoner George Washington.

I'd like to re-read it in light of reading The Age of Wonder to learn about Enlightenment science (as prep for a panel I did on the 200th anniversary of Frankenstein), but my next Pynchon read-through is going to be by publication date.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

After The War posted:

Just read it, Mason & Dixon's a blast. I love that he still found a way to work Star Trek jokes in there, plus Stoner George Washington.

I'd like to re-read it in light of reading The Age of Wonder to learn about Enlightenment science (as prep for a panel I did on the 200th anniversary of Frankenstein), but my next Pynchon read-through is going to be by publication date.

I mean, that's what I'm doing. It's not my first Pynchon. I haven't read a lot of 18th century literature. The exaggerated spelling, grammar, and syntax is messing with my brain, like I'm dyslexic.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Mel Mudkiper posted:

to a thread favorite more than one person has to have actually read it

I think at least 2 other than myself have read it, so there

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also you never told me what you thought of my interpretation :(

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

read literally everything by svetlana aleksijevich

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Krankenstyle posted:

also you never told me what you thought of my interpretation :(

of babyfucker? Remind me.

V. Illych L. posted:

read literally everything by svetlana aleksijevich

that's not how her name is spelled

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i bought my brother a copy of zinky boys for his birthday a few years ago and he didn’t even read it, the monster

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Tree Goat posted:

i bought my brother a copy of zinky boys for his birthday a few years ago and he didn’t even read it, the monster

thats because he asked for a copy of kinky boys you dolt

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Mel Mudkiper posted:

that's not how her name is spelled

no but her name is spelled in russian and i would feel like a right poseur if i wrote Святлана Алексіевіч

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Krankenstyle posted:

mel i read babyfucker last year and im interested in hearing what you think

my dumbass interpretation is that the windows are eyes and the whole house is basically his head and the narrator is his own id and the babies are his thoughts, or something. its hella grade school but it made sense as i was reading it

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

no but her name is spelled in russian and i would feel like a right poseur if i wrote Святлана Алексіевіч

I know, its a joke. I once derailed a thread for like two pages by telling a guy he was spelling Dostoevsky wrong

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
ive got thread favorite Dictionary of the Khazars lined up after Ulysses

other books im rotating thru right now:
Acts of Rebellion - Ward Churchill (dope)
Anti-Oedipus - Deleuze and Guattari (crap, i'd rather read Hegel than this dogshit)
A People's History of Florida - A. Wasserman (good)
History and Class Consciousness - Lukács (good)
Old Style Conjure - Casas (decent so far)

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 7, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

A People's History of Florida - A. Wasserman (good)

I've been looking for a book like this for years and haven't been able to find one. History books about Florida are mostly dogshit and it's hard to find a reliable source for good ones.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Franchescanado posted:

I've been looking for a book like this for years and haven't been able to find one. History books about Florida are mostly dogshit and it's hard to find a reliable source for good ones.

Also check out Emancipation Betrayed for more Florida history that isn't white washed

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Khazars is the best and i recently read pavics landscape painted with tea which i also thought was great and goes in a very cool direction with pavics attempt to break linearity

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Also check out Emancipation Betrayed for more Florida history that isn't white washed

This also looks great, thank you.

CestMoi posted:

Khazars is the best and i recently read pavics landscape painted with tea which i also thought was great and goes in a very cool direction with pavics attempt to break linearity

This also looks great. Thanks for the heads up.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

i've got a copy of unique item hanging around that i should read, apparently its like the endings to a whole lot of different books

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Omg give it to me

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

This also looks great, thank you.

This also looks great. Thanks for the heads up.

The solution is one of the most peculiarly satisfying things ive ever read. Its just such a perfect fit to the kind of book landscape is anf the kind of author pavic is

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Thanks to my good friends at progress publishers I'm reading a collection of stories by alexander grin, and they're pretty neat, sort of like proto magical realism with influence from adventure stories.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So I'm running the reading challenge this year and I'm doing something a little different where in addition to thread wildcards (someone in the thread just tells you what book to read) there is a challenge for getting a wildcard from another thread, hopefully to encourage posters to wander around the forum a bit more.

So anyway, since this is my favorite TBB thread, hoping someone can give me a book to read. Just gently caress my poo poo up.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

So I'm running the reading challenge this year and I'm doing something a little different where in addition to thread wildcards (someone in the thread just tells you what book to read) there is a challenge for getting a wildcard from another thread, hopefully to encourage posters to wander around the forum a bit more.

So anyway, since this is my favorite TBB thread, hoping someone can give me a book to read. Just gently caress my poo poo up.

Satantango by Laszlo Krasznahorkai. I just finished it and it blew me out of my shoes.
e: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/may/09/satantango-laszlo-krasznahorkai-review

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Satantango by Laszlo Krasznahorkai. I just finished it and it blew me out of my shoes.
e: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/may/09/satantango-laszlo-krasznahorkai-review

Excellent, will do. Thanks!

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I've only read The Melancholy of Resistance and The Last Wolf and both are amazing. I've got Seiobo There Below and The World Goes On on my nightstand.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'll throw my voice into the chorus and say that Dictionary of the Khazars is a very good book and also incredibly fun to reread since you can go all over the place with it in a different way each time.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

satantango is really frigging good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Franchescanado posted:

I mean, that's what I'm doing. It's not my first Pynchon. I haven't read a lot of 18th century literature. The exaggerated spelling, grammar, and syntax is messing with my brain, like I'm dyslexic.

I found that it began to organically disappear from my notice around a third of the way through. The launch of the survey has such a great momentum that those chapters seem to fly by, and the whole novel starts to really click.

edit: But I know what you mean about being made to feel dumb. For me, that was when I did my deep dive on GR with the help of Weisenburger. I realized this guy was playing a whole different sport.

mdemone fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 8, 2018