Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Vox Nihili posted:

I tried Glendronach 12 the other day and I have to say I was pretty disappointed. I expected it to be something a bit special after the reviews and general positive statements I've read, but it tasted like a pretty standard sherried Scotch. No enormous depth of flavor, no chewy mouthfeel, just OK and a bit thin.

The best Glendronachs are the cask strength batches and the shop selection bottlings (usually around 18-19 years-old.)

I don’t think any 12 year-old Scotch can truly have enormous depth of flavor or chewy/viscous mouthfeel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

I tried Glendronach 12 the other day and I have to say I was pretty disappointed. I expected it to be something a bit special after the reviews and general positive statements I've read, but it tasted like a pretty standard sherried Scotch. No enormous depth of flavor, no chewy mouthfeel, just OK and a bit thin.

Pretty sure the 18yr Allardice is what gets all the love.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

15yr Revival was the one that got very popular starting about 10 years ago. And then they couldn’t keep up and it’s not currently bottled.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Went to Portland this week for work. Got bottles of Lagavulin 8 for $65 and Weller Special Reserve for $25 and no sales tax. Good deals?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

The last one I had was the 17yo px and that was pretty good from what I recall, that was probably also bottled in the ~55% range

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Josh Lyman posted:

Went to Portland this week for work. Got bottles of Lagavulin 8 for $65 and Weller Special Reserve for $25 and no sales tax. Good deals?

Yes on the Weller.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Vox Nihili posted:

How long had the bottle been open? If it’s been sitting around awhile, especially in a bar where it temperature cycles this can affect the whisky quite badly.

I think it’s a pretty good value for money whisky, but yeah, everybody is different. If you like chewy, try the Caledonia from Edradour.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I basically got a very small inheritance from my mother's aunt and spent part of it on a bottle of Glenmorangie 18 and a lingering sense of guilt for dropping $120 on a single bottle of booze. Hope it's good!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

TobinHatesYou posted:

15yr Revival was the one that got very popular starting about 10 years ago. And then they couldn’t keep up and it’s not currently bottled.

Ahh, you're right, this was it. I was just getting into sherried scotch and chose aberlour abunadah (sp?) Over a bottle of this. I would up loving the aberlour, but being bummed I missed out on this.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Ahh, you're right, this was it. I was just getting into sherried scotch and chose aberlour abunadah (sp?) Over a bottle of this. I would up loving the aberlour, but being bummed I missed out on this.

Abunadh is p. good value for sure on the sherried end of things. Spilt milk and all.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Would there be any interest in talking about sherry itself in this thread, instead of or in addition to the wine thread? I'm a big fan and I tend to drink it more in the situations where I'd otherwise have spirits, rather than situations where I'd have wine.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm happy to have sherry chat. Always interested in learning more.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Definitely!

I've only got two sherries at the moment, a Romate NPU Amontillado and a Romate Ambrosía Moscatel.

They're obviously wildly different, the Amontillado is super dry and complex, and the Moscatel is the sweet thick nectar of the gods.

Good stuff, highly recommended.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Good god Laphroaig Quarter Cask is delicious. That is all. Thank you.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Aberlour Abunadh is like 80+ dollars now here, it used to be such a great bargain.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm sure it's old news to a lot of people but if you can pick up a current bottling of Ben nevis 10, do so. It's discontinued now and to fill the last of the bottles they tapped into some much much older material.

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide
Anyone have suggestions for a wedding present whiskey, aka here's something fancy to start off your adult life?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

My goto gift is Four Roses Single Barrel. It’s not super expensive but pretty darn good.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

very stable genius posted:

My goto gift is Four Roses Single Barrel. It’s not super expensive but pretty darn good.

These can be hit or miss, though:

Nth Doctor posted:

Speaking of single barrel variations, I had a glass of Four Roses single barrel last night. The nose had this really unpleasant acetone thing going on. Like I was about to drink nail polish remover.

Small Batch may be a better option since the blender has a hand in it.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Time Trial posted:

Anyone have suggestions for a wedding present whiskey, aka here's something fancy to start off your adult life?

Is the person a whiskey drinker? and how much are you willing to spend?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

My goto is Four Roses Single Barrel. I've been fortunate not to have any bad bottles, but there is some variation. Also helps to let it breathe in the glass for a bit, especially with a fresh bottle.

Knob creek single barrel is good too, and is usually about the same price, but it is a higher proof.

That said, unless the person is a bourbon drinker already, Four Roses Small Batch is very good and an easier introduction.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Time Trial posted:

My go-to for smooth whiskey is Glenlivet 12. Take a look at other single malt scotches.

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide
They're not experts by any means, so that single barrel sounds like a good option

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah I've never had a bad bottle of 4R single barrel. They taste it before bottling, not just pick random barrels.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
I have Four Roses Small Batch right now, honestly eh. It's better than yellow label, but for like $6 more here single barrel is so much better. YMMV.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Nth Doctor posted:

These can be hit or miss, though:

Small Batch may be a better option since the blender has a hand in it.

Single Barrel is pretty drat consistent. The acetone/nail polish whiffs on the nose is just a characteristic of Four Roses. It’s in the Small Batch too. If you can’t get past that, then look elsewhere.

Also who do you think decides which barrels of OBSV are good enough to stand alone and not go into a vatting?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

slothrop posted:

How long had the bottle been open? If it’s been sitting around awhile, especially in a bar where it temperature cycles this can affect the whisky quite badly.

I think it’s a pretty good value for money whisky, but yeah, everybody is different. If you like chewy, try the Caledonia from Edradour.

Freshly opened. Friend brought the bottle to our informal tasting night (more like get drunk and end up playing poker night, but hey). At ~$55 I probably won't get my own as long as I have Abunadh on hand (costs only ~$10 more here). It wasn't bad or anything, just underwhelming.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Time Trial posted:

I really like EH Taylor Small Batch as a gift bourbon. Should be $35-$45 if available (I can always find it here in Northern California) and it presents extremely well in its fancy tube. It's also very drinkable and tasty but it's still pretty interesting to people who like whiskey because it's Buffalo Trace's higher rye mashbill. Since it's batched it's quite consistent in delivering the standard BT bourbon experience (sweet honey, vanilla, and light oak).

Blanton's is also good for this purpose but it's arbitrarily more expensive, hard to find, and it's also single barrel, so there's more variation (though I haven't picked up much variation myself). The bottle is extremely nice, though!

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 6, 2018

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I agree with the EH Taylor Small Batch recommendation. It's a low rye mash bill though, not high.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gravitee posted:

I agree with the EH Taylor Small Batch recommendation. It's a low rye mash bill though, not high.

Oops, you're right. Rock Hill Farm and Blanton's are their main high rye bourbons (though all of BT's bourbons are relatively low rye compared to many other distillers).

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
WTF happened to Buffalo Trace? I could probably google it but I'm lazy. Last time I was there they were cranking out bourbon and had big plans to move into vodka. But I haven't seen a bottle on the shelves in 2 years.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
They sold everything to Finland I guess? It's easily available from our dear alcohol monopoly.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

wormil posted:

WTF happened to Buffalo Trace? I could probably google it but I'm lazy. Last time I was there they were cranking out bourbon and had big plans to move into vodka. But I haven't seen a bottle on the shelves in 2 years.

:same: now that you mention it

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I only got into bourbon within the last year, and I've only ever seen regular Buffalo Trace once or twice and only in small liquor stores. Total Wine never has it, and when they do it's kept behind the counter with the rest of the unobtanium. I've never seen Eagle Rare or Blanton's in a retail store, and Total Wine wanted $50+ for EH Taylor Small Batch (which was, of course, kept in a secret vault behind the counter).

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Still easily available here in the Portland, Or area.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah it must be a regional thing. I'm in the Bay Area and I see Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare all over the place (Bevmo, Total Wine, etc) and can regularly find Blanton's in the smaller liquor stores. :shrug:

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

Those are all easily obtainable in Saskatchewan and Alberta up in Canada. Our liquor distro is so screwed up that some stores still get cases of discontinued bottles, or stuff from breweries that closed 2-3 years ago.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
My friend who owns a liquor store was telling me about how Blanton's is sold out across the state and incredibly rare nowadays as I see 3 bottles on their shelf and saw a bunch at the other place I go to for their scotch selection too. I think some places maybe just suck at stocking and updating their inventory or something. Like, just because your store doesn't expect any more in stock and can't order more in doesn't mean the stuff doesn't exist.

I know this isn't exactly the issue you all are talking about, but you all reminded me of it.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Would make sense if it were just one store, but I've checked in various parts of Florida 100+ miles apart (as in popping in briefly while traveling, not like I'm on some BT mission), in mom and pops and chains like Publix, Total Wine, ABC. Seems distribution in this state is poo poo for BT products.

Restaurants have some BT products so I've tried them. They're decent but nowhere near 4RSB, so I don't get why they'd be so hard to find.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

The buffalo trace thing is baffling to me because I used to see it at like gas stations and grocery stores here and now I couldn’t tell you the last time I saw it on a shelf anywhere.