Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Instead of houses, young people have houseplants

quote:

They are cheaper, greener and easier to maintain

PEOPLE born after 1980 have been slower than previous generations to settle down. Some want to explore the world before they get married and have kids. Others simply cannot afford to buy a house. But they can afford houseplants, and many are finding that nurturing them is a more manageable form of domesticity.

Since the turn of the century, exports of plants from the Netherlands—by far the world’s biggest producer of plant life—have increased from $6bn in 2000 to $9bn in 2016. In that year Europeans spent some €36bn ($42bn) on houseplants and flowers. And in America, millennials are thought to account for fully one-third of the houseplant sales. Amazon, the world’s biggest online retailer, began selling plants last year, and direct-to-consumer start-ups like Patch and The Sill have cropped up, delivering leafy goods in pretty pots to doorsteps everywhere.

Interest in houseplants as measured by internet search data has closely tracked the surge in sales. The number of Google searches for succulents has risen tenfold since 2010, and other green plants have had similar spurts of popularity. The data are highly seasonal: interest blossoms in the spring but is relatively dormant by December.

What explains the growth in greenery? Young people are more likely than their elders to live in city flats without gardens. Although houseplants grow and require care, they are neither as demanding nor as costly as pets or children. Instagram, a viral photo-sharing platform, can be credited for causing a spike in interest in cacti and other plants: #plantsofinstagram boasts 1.6m photographs—double that of a previous millennial fad, #avocadotoast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Arzakon posted:

lol they made Lena Dunham contort herself to get a MySpace Angle effect

Na she's man spreading to make her feminist points™

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003

https://www.cultofmac.com/568093/apple-salaries-housing-market/

quote:

Some 60 percent of Apple workers, as surveyed by anonymous messaging app Blind, say home prices are too spendy even with salaries that exceed the national average by more than double.

This is fine and sustainable.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
loving "spendy"

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I prefer “spencey”

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

quote:

In 2010, the marketing director of this product stated: 'The little black guy from the historic Congo...is something that's integrally innate in the people of Spain

Translation: "It's been around since Franco's time, we're not throwing away that kind of brand recognition. I mean we took away their spears, what more do you want??"

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

"um actually that kind of imagery only has negative connotations in America which is why you shouldn't tell me, a white European, not to wear blackface."

- an argument you see all the time on these very forums

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

EvilJoven posted:

You underestimate the motivational power of pure unadulterated spite.

The US does a mock nuclear war training exercise every year or two or something, where someone pretends to be the president (because if the actual president did it it would reveal how they would act) and even in the 100% simulated, completely consequence-free training exercise nobody has ever been able to bring themselves to order the counterattack :unsmith:

I mean I'm sure someone like Trump absolutely wouldn't hesitate but still, it's kinda nice to think about...

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

ate all the Oreos posted:

The US does a mock nuclear war training exercise every year or two or something, where someone pretends to be the president (because if the actual president did it it would reveal how they would act) and even in the 100% simulated, completely consequence-free training exercise nobody has ever been able to bring themselves to order the counterattack :unsmith:

I mean I'm sure someone like Trump absolutely wouldn't hesitate but still, it's kinda nice to think about...

I honestly have a hard time believing simulated results would give any sort of accurate prediction but what do I know about war simulations

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I do not believe this.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

I do not believe this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...06ab_story.html

quote:

These drills, code-named Silver Dollar, always involved a Pentagon or White House official playing the role of the president — the National Command Authority who had unchecked power to launch nuclear weapons. Once the plane was airborne, the drills unfolded the same way. The “president” would receive a mock briefing about geopolitical tensions underway, which would quickly escalate into a thermonuclear exchange. Then would come the moment of truth: The Nightwatch crew would ask for a launch order.

That’s where the system, Walrath noticed, would stop. “No one would ever press the button — even when it was clearly a drill, even when someone had been told nothing would happen,” he recalls. “It just seemed too real. You’ve suspended disbelief. It was nasty.”

e: ok i misremembered parts

quote:

In every training exercise, the “president” would wait at least until missiles hit the United States before ordering retaliation. Often, he or she would not order a strike at all, watching as the scenario unfolded and the United States was obliterated.

They'd never retaliate before most of the US was obliterated, and they'd never retaliate at all in a lot of cases

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Thanks. Just what I needed. A reminder that babies born in the US are increasingly likely to die.

And that I want to.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I mean, $300,000 worth of houseplants would be pretty neat. Living in my own jungle would beat the gently caress out of any house and would help me forget about the shitstorm that is society.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Elman posted:

Translation: "It's been around since Franco's time, we're not throwing away that kind of brand recognition. I mean we took away their spears, what more do you want??"

Just turn it purple like Jynx

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Time_pants posted:

Thanks. Just what I needed. A reminder that babies born in the US are increasingly likely to die.

And that I want to.

No, no, maternal mortality just means the death of the mother. Baby lives are precious!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

They'd never retaliate before most of the US was obliterated, and they'd never retaliate at all in a lot of cases

It'd be nice if that were true. But honestly, after the poo poo obama did, and trump continued, I believe they're all a bunch of narsicistic psychopaths who'd do it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Time_pants posted:

That's mothers, not babies.

Obesity, diabetes, and hypertension rates are also higher in the U.S. (and it's why the numbers of mothers dying is higher).

feller
Jul 5, 2006

oh so you want the french to win do you???

He Who Smelt It
Jun 14, 2012

drat, that sure is a pack a Horro

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Howard Beale posted:

when u nut but ur cars still suckin

The mythical premature Tesla delivery.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oscar Wild posted:

The mythical premature Tesla delivery.

lol

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

this is good because america is bad

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
This thread is going to be just like the doomsday economics thread in CSPAM. I'm going to be edging for the next big economic crisis for months or maybe years as capitalism limps along

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

I'm assuming this is all pre-2016 before the hell dimension phased in. As if Donny would hesitate before hitting the button with an after thought "Where is that anyway?". Noone will know if he's referring to the foreign target or the obliterated American city.

Pretty sure the authors would whole heartedly encourage its theft.

Wasn't there a 'steal this book' published back in the dark ages of the 20th century?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure how accurate this is, because it's all stuff I've picked up from the internet. If I recall this same level of unwillingness to participate in nuclear war is one of the reasons nuclear missile subs drill the way they do. My understanding is they receive fake/test launch codes frequently and go through the sequence as if it was real, except that no missile launches at the end. Imagine going through some procedure you've done over and over as if nothing was happening and then suddenly there's the sound of missiles launching.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Outrail posted:

Wasn't there a 'steal this book' published back in the dark ages of the 20th century?

Abbie Hoffman, YIPPIE, one of the Chicago 7.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steal_This_Book

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Basically means they don't want to live far from work and have to commute less commoners. If they are making double, they can definitely find housing within an hour of work. Nuking Cupertino wouldn't be the worst thing to ever happen.

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

wilderthanmild posted:

I'm not sure how accurate this is, because it's all stuff I've picked up from the internet. If I recall this same level of unwillingness to participate in nuclear war is one of the reasons nuclear missile subs drill the way they do. My understanding is they receive fake/test launch codes frequently and go through the sequence as if it was real, except that no missile launches at the end. Imagine going through some procedure you've done over and over as if nothing was happening and then suddenly there's the sound of missiles launching.

I couldn’t do that type of job, it sounds like living hell for any sane person. It sounds like Russian roulette with much higher stakes.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Outrail posted:

I remember downloading that thing off TOTSE a million years ago.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

spacetoaster posted:

That's mothers, not babies.

Obesity, diabetes, and hypertension rates are also higher in the U.S. (and it's why the numbers of mothers dying is higher).

Oh. Thank you for clarifying which tragedy I should spend the next three months worrying about.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Just turn it purple like Jynx

I always bring that thing up when people try and say the later generations are dumb.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

is pepsi ok posted:

I remember downloading that thing off TOTSE a million years ago.

There was a book called 'Get Even: The complete book of dirty tricks' which 14 year old me though was kicking rad. Half was poo poo on the extreme end of 'pranks' and half was straight up illegal poo poo like taking down transmission lines.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Ok I know humans of late capitalism is too easy but this one's pretty good
https://mobile.twitter.com/HumansOfLate/status/1025073986437369857

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

how do you expect people to work after dark in an old building without hanging fluorescent lights to gently caress up their circadian rhythm

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Covering up art or historical pieces is not unheard of in cultural resource management. In lieu of deliberate conservation, sealing off from environments is can be a simple way to preserve things for future generations fairly well. Slap a parking lot on it, covering it with a removable face, etc. Mind, these are techniques that are only needed to be made in due to development having incredible sway because money talks, and a general lack of interest in preservation vs. personal, i.e. financial, interests. It's not ideal but it's not like they're destroying the things for no reason. I think the original facade is more appealing and it's a travesty it's being covered up but like, poo poo, all I can think is "at least it's not being destroyed arbitrarily!"

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Lol slap a parking lot on it.

Source your quotes

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

wilderthanmild posted:

Oh yeah, there's no question that the military would be able to execute the launch order, they've spent 60+ years figuring out exactly how to get around the natural human tendency to not want to murder millions of people, it's just the initial step of ordering it that seems to cause trouble.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Kazak posted:

Lol slap a parking lot on it.

Source your quotes

it worked for paradise

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Kalsco posted:

all I can think is "at least it's not being destroyed arbitrarily!"

would you call yourself a centrist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Oh yeah, there's no question that the military would be able to execute the launch order, they've spent 60+ years figuring out exactly how to get around the natural human tendency to not want to murder millions of people, it's just the initial step of ordering it that seems to cause trouble.

Just the possibility that the launch order might be given is enough deterrence.