Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
What’s the latest hotness in a simple story game for a one-shot? My big gaming group is taking a break from Pathfinder for a month and running one-shots. My first ideas were Paranoia, an OSR dungeon crawl, and Monsterhearts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If you want to go for cyberpunk fantasy setting then mix it up while you're there. I suggest a fantasy setting that developed into cyberpunk rather than the 'real life but suddenly elves' thing.

Agreed

Plutonis posted:

JRPG magitek settings are cool

Also agreed

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Arivia posted:

What’s the latest hotness in a simple story game for a one-shot? My big gaming group is taking a break from Pathfinder for a month and running one-shots. My first ideas were Paranoia, an OSR dungeon crawl, and Monsterhearts.

Slasher Flick

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Explicit spotlight sharing mechanics are good actually and can fit into a more story heavy game without too much work. I tend to make sure that each character gets a focus scene per session where their character has the greatest narrative stakes and allow that player to have more authority in framing the scene.

Like in a game I’m currently designing, the GM establishes a set of problems facing the community at the start of each session, then writes each down on an index card. Then each player selects one of those problems and has their character take the lead on solving it, recruiting additional characters only as necessary.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Agreed

Also agreed

I had not intended my morning cybertech with wizards pitch to go in an anime direction but I honestly have to say I kind of like old Sega RPG's more than I like Shadowrun so it is a possibility.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Serf posted:

i know that when i get together with my buddies to play blades in the dark every week it is a fierce struggle for dominance and only one person will get to win

I am really, really good at winning Blades In The Dark... by playing to my character and his proclivities. :thunk:

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

remusclaw posted:

I had not intended my morning cybertech with wizards pitch to go in an anime direction but I honestly have to say I kind of like old Sega RPG's more than I like Shadowrun so it is a possibility.

Also, if you're doing cybertech please just try doing it without hacking. I always think there should be a cyberpunk setting where if someone mentions hacking a computer, people just laugh and say "hey, there were exploits fifty years ago, but now not.."

Of course, people are still gullible.

(It solves a bunch of system issues too)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

hyphz posted:

Actually reading S&V made BitD much clearer, apart from flashback failures; and reading UHH made PbtA much clearer. But most of the time there isn’t a struggle for dominance but an established pecking order. Struggles tend to be disruptive.

What is UHH?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

hyphz posted:

Also, if you're doing cybertech please just try doing it without hacking. I always think there should be a cyberpunk setting where if someone mentions hacking a computer, people just laugh and say "hey, there were exploits fifty years ago, but now not.."

All attempts at hacking automatically turn you into this guy for the scene.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

hyphz posted:

Yeah I actually mentioned that earlier. If it is actual Cyberpunk, the internet is the internet. Nobody feels all that awed by cyberspace or even VR anymore. It is an incredibly dated part of the genre and the closest I feel like getting to it is maybe a class that can attack and cause effects through tech. I don't think there has ever been a good system for it either and I don't have confidence that mine will be the first.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

remusclaw posted:

Look up Cybernetics Guardian, I think it would make for some great inspiration for this, not to mention it's a gorgeous little OVA with an amazing soundtrack

Also one of my favorite series of blog posts might be useful inspiration as well;

>Trollworld;
>http://gameswithothers.blogspot.ca/2013/12/troll-world.html
>http://gameswithothers.blogspot.ca/2014/02/trollworld-city-encounters-d-wandering.html
>http://gameswithothers.blogspot.ca/2014/02/trollomancer.html
>http://gameswithothers.blogspot.ca/2014/02/it-is-hard-to-find-cool-pictures-of.html
>http://gameswithothers.blogspot.ca/2014/02/things-you-find-in-trollworld-magic.html
>http://gameswithothers.blogspot.ca/2014/02/randomized-fighters-for-hacked-bx.html
>http://gameswithothers.blogspot.ca/2014/02/hime-bx-character-class-mostlysort-of.html

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

remusclaw posted:

Seriously, seriously just inject that good poo poo straight into my veins

but also check out Phantasy Star 0 for the DS. It's based off of the Phantasy Star Online universe of games, but it also has a very wild west aesthetic to it as well. It's like, society right on the cusp of rediscovering old magitech poo poo but not quite full "mirrored shades & pink mohawks" cyberpunk.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

hyphz posted:

I'm pretty sure if you suggested this to a programmer they would laugh and laugh and laugh.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I sort of feel like the idea of a Matrix-like space, i.e. a physical-seeming representation of information and computer networks with its own dangers and rules of interaction, is intrinsically linked to the idea and aesthetics of cyberpunk and you shouldn't discount it based on realism, much like you shouldn't discount the idea of elves and magic in standard D&D because they didn't actually exist in medieval times. It's a genre of fiction linked to a timeframe and your system might be better off trying to emulate it rather than rewrite the book on cyberpunk.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm pretty sure if you suggested this to a programmer they would laugh and laugh and laugh.

I'm a programmer. :) Hey, we get to have science fantasies too, right?

But more seriously.. the problem is that in the real world hacking is opportunistic, so sometimes you just can't do it. Cyberpunk-style cinematic hacking, where anything can be hacked by a skilled enough hacker, just leads to a setting where anyone using computers for anything serious appears hopelessly naive. Especially corporations.

Pollyanna posted:

What is UHH?

Under Hollow Hills, the beta version of Vincent Baker's second game.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I sort of feel like the idea of a Matrix-like space, i.e. a physical-seeming representation of information and computer networks with its own dangers and rules of interaction, is intrinsically linked to the idea and aesthetics of cyberpunk and you shouldn't discount it based on realism, much like you shouldn't discount the idea of elves and magic in standard D&D because they didn't actually exist in medieval times. It's a genre of fiction linked to a timeframe and your system might be better off trying to emulate it rather than rewrite the book on cyberpunk.

A matrix doesn't require hacking, though. Heck, the hacker would probably just be using the command line anyway.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

Obviously the direction to go with it is Digimon Tamers, and Serial Experiments Lain

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Obviously the direction to go with it is Digimon Tamers, and Serial Experiments Lain

Summer Wars imo

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

Summer Wars imo

That too, as well as Cyber Sleuth, and the Mega Man Battle Network games

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

I get you on this. It might be ok if I treat it like a space available to all characters who can essentially adventure there together and basically use the same rules. But I would also say that I don't know that Neuromancer is anymore the core of what people want out of cyberpunk than Blade Runner is, and that really didn't go there. It is worth a thought though, if I could make sure everyone is not only useful, but capable there, and that it isn't a whole new game to learn.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Actually my favorite VR/AR stuff was done by Dennou Coil. Everything is AR... until you go too deep, and VR is actively dangerous and can cause brain damage if your connection gets hosed up while there. Hacking is done by finding bits of government/corporate source code and reworking it.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Guys a digimon RPG would own bones and I kinda want to build one.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

fool_of_sound posted:

Actually my favorite VR/AR stuff was done by Dennou Coil. Everything is AR... until you go too deep, and VR is actively dangerous and can cause brain damage if your connection gets hosed up while there.

That's pretty much how Shadowrun 4ae did it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

remusclaw posted:

I get you on this. It might be ok if I treat it like a space available to all characters who can essentially adventure there together and basically use the same rules. But I would also say that I don't know that Neuromancer is anymore the core of what people want out of cyberpunk than Blade Runner is, and that really didn't go there. It is worth a thought though, if I could make sure everyone is not only useful, but capable there, and that it isn't a whole new game to learn.
I hope I'm not stating the obvious, but travelling to other planes of existence is very much an established mechanic in D&D.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

hyphz posted:

Sooorta. It couldn’t really decide how to do it, and ended up turning into a mini game only one character could play, just like astral projection

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

I hope I'm not stating the obvious, but travelling to other planes of existence is very much an established mechanic in D&D.

Yeah I was very much thinking Astral plane. Just, none of the irritating rules people use to complicate the poo poo out of adventuring in other planes.

hyphz posted:

It was such a pretty book. Shame bout the game though.

I also realize I am coming at a sneak and plot genre through a combat heavy lens and I feel like I am going to have to do something to reconcile that. I want non combat stuff to be meatier than it was in 4E but I feel like the appeal of this sort of system really comes out when things go pear shape, so I will be keeping that in mind as I work.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 7, 2018

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Arivia posted:

Fiasco or Microscope.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Moriatti posted:

Guys a digimon RPG would own bones and I kinda want to build one.

A goon made a Homebrew game and recruited people last week but I didn't got picked into it rip

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Siivola posted:

Hasn't Shadowrun always been about fistfuls of d6s? Use those, not the weirdo dice.

Also, why have ability scores if their only function is to modify noncombat skills? Just have a skill list and have players put the modifiers there.

I bring this post up again because I think I will kill ability scores. I was going with Strong, Fast, and Smart, and maybe those have a place as defenses, but I don't want to use them to effect skills.

On the subject of skills, I am hitting a wall on what to do with social skills. The old Charm/Lie/Intimidate tetrarchy feels redundant but I cant help but think they are all different enough as approaches that they suit different characters and different situations and as such might be worth keeping.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 7, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Cyberpunk hacking is like magic in that it's not so much a thing you do as much as a method by which you do something else. "I pick the lock... with HACKING!"

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Splicer posted:

Cyberpunk hacking is like magic in that it's not so much a thing you do as much as a method by which you do something else. "I pick the lock... with HACKING!"

:agreed:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Splicer posted:

There's a reason I suggested taking inspiration from Digimon, that sort of thing becomes more palatable when it's being done by semi magical other dimensional creatures

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

remusclaw posted:

I bring this post up again because I think I will kill ability scores. I was going with Strong, Fast, and Smart, and maybe those have a place as defenses, but I don't want to use them to effect skills.
The main theoretical merits of ability scores is that they're intuitive packages that allow you to quickly declare your characters' strengths and weaknesses and a way to derive character aspects you haven't explicitly chosen to be good or bad at. The former is really easy to do with lego block character building (I am a <FAST> <ELF> <HACKER> who <GREW UP POOR>), the latter is trickier.

Also note I said theoretical benefits, not actual benefits.

remusclaw posted:

On the subject of skills, I am hitting a wall on what to do with social skills. The old Charm/Lie/Intimidate tetrarchy feels redundant but I cant help but think they are all different enough as approaches that they suit different characters and different situations and as such might be worth keeping.
Charm, Lie, and Intimidate are and always have been a terrible tetrarchy. Lying is something you do (or don't do) while Charming or Intimidating someone, not something you do instead of them.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I prefer my cyberpunk to have no hacking, so that I can sit in my Amazon Cube® doing nothing and engaging in no elicit behavior, only to be sentenced to a lifetime in debtor's prison when I accidentally think about stealing pens from my workplace. No crimes in my punk genre, thank you!

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Splicer posted:

Charm, Lie, and Intimidate are and always have been a terrible tetrarchy. Lying is something you do (or don't do) while Charming or Intimidating someone, not something you do instead of them.

So maybe soft social and hard social. Not wedded to those names, but as a general idea. I feel like it might be worth having at least two, where three or more (I'm looking at you right now Shadowrun) feels like too many.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

(I am a <FAST> <ELF> <HACKER> who <GREW UP POOR>)

big news, Splicer endorses Numenera

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

drrockso20 posted:

There's a reason I suggested taking inspiration from Digimon, that sort of thing becomes more palatable when it's being done by semi magical other dimensional creatures
I didn't mean it's magic as in it's bullshit, I meant as in it's an approach. It's a power source rather than a role description.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Splicer posted:

In rules terms perhaps, but in setting term it's way different. In a world with magic it's easy to think there's no escape from magic. With hacking? Just don't use a computer.

Addon: Though, if you wanted a really dark cyberpunk setting, you could always have the players as the Megasoft Malicious Software Developer Removal Team. Much easier than closing all those loopholes was making sure there's.. consequences.. if you go experimenting with things in the APIs you shouldn't. Want to try typing "root" on that login just to see? Your death is certain. Your friends' will be uncertain. And by the time you die, you will wish to...

hyphz fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 7, 2018

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

gradenko_2000 posted:

big news, Splicer endorses Numenera

To be fair, the 'insert noun here' method that the Cypher system uses is a fine method of character generation.

Shame about the details of the nouns. And the rest of the system.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

hyphz posted:

In rules terms perhaps, but in setting term it's way different. In a world with magic it's easy to think there's no escape from magic. With hacking? Just don't use a computer.

Hacking in most cyberpunk fiction can kill you, and the capabilities of a PC to break into secure systems don't need to be typical for the setting; they can be legends with nigh-mythical hacking abilities.

(This is how Case in Neuromancer is described -- he's crippled and literally unable to interface with the Matrix at the beginning of the story, but Armitage spends a fortune getting him healed and back up to speed because he's just that good, and the next-best guy won't do.)

Also the idea that people "just won't use computers" in the modern world if the systems aren't secure is laughable. A cursory glance at the news will show you that isn't true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

hyphz posted:

Are you sure you live in the modern world