Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Have you considered releasing termites into the drains to eat the wood pulp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Droo posted:

I think you are forgetting that people are terrible.

The other day someone told me how stupid her boyfriend was because he didn't even know where the recycling was in their apartment complex, but she doesn't use it anyway because it's like 300 feet further than the garbage and she's not going to walk that far.

That's the length of a football field, I wouldn't walk that far either

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Queen Victorian posted:

The actual solution was to skim/decant out the water from the bucket (into the laundry sink, not the tub) and then when it was mostly wet sawdust pulp remaining, dump outside into another bucket and let the leftover water evaporate or shop vac it or something. That's what we did for subsequent mop buckets. I still don't know what possessed him to dump a whole bucket full of sawdust slurry into the bathtub. He felt pretty bad about it, but tub is still hosed (granted, we only just moved into the house and need to take regular showers, so now it's actually imperative to deal with it properly.

What I would have done is dump it out on the dirt in the back yard, let it dry a while, and then shovel it straight into a trash can. Or better, a paper sack and into the yard waste bin, if the wood doesn't contain varnish or something, but I'm guessing it's the sanded down surface of a hardwood floor, so that goes in the garbage. There's really no need to put any of that down a drain indoors.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Eh, if it was clean sawdust I would have just dumped it outside, but depending on the batch it was loaded with paint and/or polyurethane. Once the sawdust was waterlogged, it was easy enough to skim out the water and not get anything in the drain.

I'm just worried that our little pipe snake won't be enough and that we'll have to call someone and spend money we really don't want to spend.

However, the situation isn't nearly as bad as the worst I heard from a friend. He lived in a ratty college house with a buddy and his buddy's girlfriend. The buddy was doing some painting repairs to help out the elderly landlady in exchange for a discount on rent. Then the idiot girlfriend goes and dumps the leftover paint down the kitchen sink when he isn't looking. Neither the guy or the girlfriend or the landlady have the money to tear out and replace the now-ruined kitchen plumbing, so my friend just moved out.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

*dumping old paint down a bathtub drain* HEy out of sight out of mind am I right???

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
search for "drum trap" and see if you have one on the tub, they have a lid that can be removed for cleaning, absolutely love to clog up and you'll never get a snake past it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bibendum posted:

search for "drum trap" and see if you have one on the tub, they have a lid that can be removed for cleaning, absolutely love to clog up and you'll never get a snake past it.

Good point. But just to be clear: they absolutely love to clog up because it's their job to do that. So you don't end up with a clog in a place that wasn't specifically made as convenient as possible to access and clean.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

So I got the access panel open but there's no drum trap. :ohdear: I hope we're not screwed. Then again there's a PVC U-bend in the drain pipe so I'm hoping the clog is just sitting there and not further down and that we can pull it out with the snake/shop vac.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
The prior owners twice removed of our house added a 2 room addition of around 1000 sq ft. They went with all recessed lighting which looks nice but leaks a ton of heat. Last winter you could feel gusts on those below zero days. The one, smaller room had 6” fixtures which I changed out for LED retrofits. The central ceiling fan also felt drafty as well. Is there any way to seal the fan fixture without creating a fire risk? We haven’t used the fan at all, so second option would be ditching it altogether.

The second larger room with cathedral ceiling is what I’m not sure of. 6 of the fixtures are on the angled ceiling. Can I just swap those out for a retrofit airtight led on an eyeball? Should I just get an angled baffle of some sort and use LED bulbs? Do I insulate any of these fixtures? Again, going for the no fire hazard angle here. The last fixture in there is another easy 6” retrofit.

Can take pics if helpful.

I occasionally lol at the mistakes obviously made, such as not heating/ACing this space for the first year and retro-adding HVAC, vents, and ducts.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

howdoesishotweb posted:

The prior owners twice removed of our house added a 2 room addition of around 1000 sq ft. They went with all recessed lighting which looks nice but leaks a ton of heat. Last winter you could feel gusts on those below zero days. The one, smaller room had 6” fixtures which I changed out for LED retrofits. The central ceiling fan also felt drafty as well. Is there any way to seal the fan fixture without creating a fire risk? We haven’t used the fan at all, so second option would be ditching it altogether.

I looked this up because literally all the advice I'd seen about re-doing attic insulation had a step where you sealed all the air gaps around ceiling penetrations with spray foam and I was thinking about doing it myself, but it turns out the foam is super flammable and should never be used on a hot surface. An LED retrofit wouldn't get nearly hot enough but another homeowner could theoretically replace it with an incandescent one for whatever reason. Ceiling fan boxes wouldn't have the same problem and you can caulk around where the fan meets the ceiling.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

howdoesishotweb posted:

The second larger room with cathedral ceiling is what I’m not sure of. 6 of the fixtures are on the angled ceiling. Can I just swap those out for a retrofit airtight led on an eyeball? Should I just get an angled baffle of some sort and use LED bulbs? Do I insulate any of these fixtures? Again, going for the no fire hazard angle here. The last fixture in there is another easy 6” retrofit.

I occasionally lol at the mistakes obviously made, such as not heating/ACing this space for the first year and retro-adding HVAC, vents, and ducts.

Replace with things rated for direct insulation contact and actually put insulation in the cavity? Blowing in a foot of cellulose will likely go a lot further than trying to caulk the fixtures.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Make sure your new lights are also air infiltration tight. Your conditioned envelope should be thermal and air tight.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

howdoesishotweb posted:

"air sealing" is the magic term you're looking for. When I had someone come do that to my attic, this is what they used on all the can lights: https://www.cancoverit.com/

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I was just invited to and joined my areas Nextdoor group and :stonklol: Everyone mostly posts about suspicious characters and crime in the area. Makes me think my area might be more dangerous than I thought when I bought my house. Is every neighborhood page like this?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Your neighbours are paranoid and probably racist too.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Consider the type of person who's Concerned enough to join Nextdoor and inform everyone else about suspicious people in the area.

Subjunctive posted:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Next door sucks rear end don’t use it

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I was able to return a lost dog to its owner thanks to Nextdoor, so to each his own I guess.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Subjunctive posted:

My overall experience in my last neighborhood was summed up by this statement. Mostly lost pets, garage sales, and if poorly moderated MLM scams your neighbors are trying to make a profit off of.

It really comes down to the people moderating it

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I mean their posts are about people breaking into cars, people checking in car windows at 3am with shirts over their heads, and a pair of armed home robbers. So not going to assume racism based on that.

I know crime happens everywhere so I'm just kind of wondering if other people have this kind of activity on their various neighborhood groups and I'm just being made more aware of it, or if I live in an actually bad area.

I did as much research as I could before buying and the crime stats I could find seemed low but who knows how much goes unreported.

E: the thieves tried the car doors but only ended up stealing the volume knob off a Jeep's radio. :wtc:

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 10, 2018

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

SpartanIvy posted:

I mean their posts are about people breaking into cars, people checking in car windows at 3am with shirts over their heads, and a pair of armed home robbers. So not going to assume racism based on that.

I know crime happens everywhere so I'm just kind of wondering if other people have this kind of activity on their various neighborhood groups and I'm just being made more aware of it, or if I live in an actually bad area.

I did as much research as I could before buying and the crime stats I could find seemed low but who knows how much goes unreported.

E: the thieves tried the car doors but only ended up stealing the volume knob off a Jeep's radio. :wtc:

Yeah, this is pretty normal. Most of the time you are just blind to this kind of thing unless you have cameras or are personally hit. Remember also that the "neighborhood" definition can be pretty wide though, normally those camera posts of people looking in/breaking into cars and such also have a general location, so if you pay attention to those you can see if they are actually happening on or near your street or if they are in another area. Like my street seems to get activity like that a couple times a year at most. But a few streets away seems to get hit a ton.

It's true you have to sometimes take what happens on there with a grain of salt if you have especially paranoid/racist/what have you people in your neighborhood. Since they'll post up videos of like, the city meter readers walking through yards or something and be like "who is this suspicious guy?"

If you want to confirm for yourself what the area looks like from a police perspective, many cities can be found on something like https://www.crimemapping.com/

You could try typing in your address there and look at any data it gives you. Default date range is normally the last week, but you can change all the filters to get a better picture of what is happening in your area.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Our nextdoor is basically garage sales, the occasional contractor suggestion thread, and brown people spotting.

The other day someone drank a 6er of coors light on my front porch sometime in the night. I know because they rudely left their empties all over my yard and back yard. They didn't mean any harm because my road bike wasn't stolen from the back yard where it was unlocked. (or I got super lucky and they were too drunk to notice.) :iiam:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

All social networking is terrible, but especially nextdoor and linkedin please never use them

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
My nextdoor has some legit posts about that stuff, the usual for sale and "recommend me a contractor for x" posts, and a whole bunch of "someone came to my door selling things and I think they are probably casing houses" or "safe sometime walking and they asked weird I think they are going to rob me" posts.

In short, your neighbors are paranoid and probably racist.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

therobit posted:

My nextdoor has some legit posts about that stuff, the usual for sale and "recommend me a contractor for x" posts, and a whole bunch of "someone came to my door selling things and I think they are probably casing houses" or "safe sometime walking and they asked weird I think they are going to rob me" posts.

In short, your neighbors are paranoid and probably racist.

This actually happened in my neighborhood last week, i.e. a dude went door to door asking people if they had seen his lost cat. That night the police caught him trying to break into one of the houses (occupied by a 95 year old woman whose hearing turned out to be much better than the guy expected).

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

My nextdoor is the same. Stuff for sale, "who do I hire to do X," and "I saw a person who doesn't look like me and you remember all those Amazon packages that got stolen, well THIS person had some CARDBOARD in their STOLEN SHOPPING CART..."

It's just Facebook but your aunt isn't posting Minions memes on it. Don't think of it as a reliable source of information.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I live in the more "affluent" (racist rich white people) of New Orleans. I had to jump ship from Next door around the time they started the confederate monument removal. But yes, "brown people spotting" is a good description of the common usage of it before that point.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

My nextdoor is just alternating posts of "I found a dog/cat" and "Anyone seen my dog/cat?" with a few people looking for contractors sprinkled in. Not even mild racism but maybe minorities just don't bother coming here.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My next door seems to be pretty ethically diverse. The worst thing I see is old people thinking any graffiti means gang activity, and 2 white women very upset that nearby panhandlers have dogs out in this heat.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SpartanIvy posted:

ethically diverse

Typo or euphemism?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Well it was a typo but it's also accurate :v:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Nextdoor is good to dunk on your paranoid neighbors who refuse to answer doorbells and question why a solicitor would wear a hat if they weren’t actually a robber casing your house

Also just follow this account http://www.twitter.com/bestofnextdoor

https://twitter.com/bestofnextdoor/status/1026309145966723072?s=21

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 11, 2018

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

I like the image that this person has in their head that animal control is the cops but for wild animals. That they're going to roll up, separate them out of earshot of each other to talk to them, and then tell one of them to come inside and pack a bag to stay somewhere else that night, and if we get another call from the neighbors we're going to arrest one or both of you

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I will say that in my neighborhood it is probably more likely that the people they are paying about are white, simply because the local transient population is mostly white. Most of the nonwhite people you see in my neighborhood area either homeowners who are gone during the day, or landscapers who are clearly engaged in a task. And we definitely get homeless pickers who come up from the home trail on garbage day to sort through your trash. I have just learned not to leave my car unlocked or throw away anything with personal information on it.

Generally I assume people doing door to door sales are there to sell me something, not rob me (by force anyway).

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 16 minutes!

SpartanIvy posted:

I was just invited to and joined my areas Nextdoor group and :stonklol: Everyone mostly posts about suspicious characters and crime in the area. Makes me think my area might be more dangerous than I thought when I bought my house. Is every neighborhood page like this?

It's pretty common for me to see stuff like this on my Nextdoor feed but it's almost entirely (somewhat) nearby neighborhoods rather than my own, so you might check and see where they're actually coming from as I think the default settings will give you updates from neighborhoods that aren't necessarily even that close to your own. Most of mine come from relatively low cost housing near the university that isn't really even that close to my house.

A quick scan of my feed looks like about 50% lost pets, 30% crap for sale, 20% "someone broke into my car."

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 16 minutes!

FCKGW posted:

Nextdoor is good to dunk on your paranoid neighbors who refuse to answer doorbells and question why a solicitor would wear a hat if they weren’t actually a robber casing your house

Also just follow this account http://www.twitter.com/bestofnextdoor

https://twitter.com/bestofnextdoor/status/1026309145966723072?s=21

Holy poo poo I hadn't heard of this, thank you.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I just replaced the vacuum breaker on the wall hydrant on the side of my house, a part that broke while I was on the porch and started leaking. Thank god I was chillin or it would have leaked for a while before I figured it out. The seal broke concentrically like a donut, I temporarily repaired it but got the replacement in the mail this weekend. Two weeks ago I was blissfully unaware they could fail. Homeownership is learning about new things that can break.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Homeownership is learning about new things that can break.

mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

what is a vacuum breaker and what is a wall hydrant

On Nextdoor one thing you *have* to do when you sign up is find and click on this loving setting:

By default it is gonna include like ten square miles around your house or something stupid like that.

And then also go into Email and turn of most of the notifications.