Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Therion is just a lonely boy who wants some friends but has been hurt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
So he turns down the help from the two thieves who want to help him do thieving, but then immediately afterwards asks a sister of the flame and some weird women with a snow leopard, both of whom he has just met, to help him knock over some rich punk's mansion. Because of course they would help and not report him to the guards or anything. Master thieves are renowned for telling complete strangers their life stories and plans afterall.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

PSA: for the sidequest in Everhold that requires you to beat up the client. Use H'aanit. It is definitely worth it.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

PSA: for the sidequest in Everhold that requires you to beat up the client. Use H'aanit. It is definitely worth it.

Yeah, I used olberic, and the resolution wasn't nearly as good after I saw a youtube vid showing H'aanit's ending.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Kashuno posted:

Therion is just a lonely boy who wants some friends but has been hurt

This is basically it. There's even hints regarding this way back in his Chapter 1.

Or to put it in another way, Therion is a loner because he feels forced into it; he wants to have human relationships but is too distrustful of others to open up because the one person he had given his full trust to in the past betrayed and left him for dead. His story is as much about him allowing himself to open up to other people and being able to trust in others again, as it is about being able to live how he wants.

I'd say the real loner in Therion's story would be Darius.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna be completely honest, I don't know why everyone loves Therion so much because he's only ever a jerk. I enjoyed his cliché backstory but that doesn't excuse how he acts imo :(

I was hoping for some fun and dumb skits but almost every skit involving Therion is just [other character] being nice and cool and Therion being a jerk in response.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Folt The Bolt posted:

This is basically it. There's even hints regarding this way back in his Chapter 1.

Or to put it in another way, Therion is a loner because he feels forced into it; he wants to have human relationships but is too distrustful of others to open up because the one person he had given his full trust to in the past betrayed and left him for dead. His story is as much about him allowing himself to open up to other people and being able to trust in others again, as it is about being able to live how he wants.

I'd say the real loner in Therion's story would be Darius.

Plus he gets married to a pretty noble lady at the end.

I'm projecting again aren't I?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Natural 20 posted:

(Ch4 Therion) Eh, it seemed pretty one-sided to me.

Though (Post-C4 Side Quest) I had a good laugh at the story of the Princess and the Thief.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Licarn posted:

So he turns down the help from the two thieves who want to help him do thieving, but then immediately afterwards asks a sister of the flame and some weird women with a snow leopard, both of whom he has just met, to help him knock over some rich punk's mansion. Because of course they would help and not report him to the guards or anything. Master thieves are renowned for telling complete strangers their life stories and plans afterall.

Tressa is a young girl 'looking for adventure' who has no problem murdering people
Olberic is a noble warrior out to protect the weak who helps Primrose on a personal revenge quest
Alfyn is trying to become a better doctor by joining up with a lady who prays to heal people
Primrose is a woman who is consumed by a need to get vengeace, but instead will help a guy dig into some ruins.

if you really start to pick things apart like this, you realize that almost no one has reason to travel together. Other than Alfyn and Therion with their amazing bromance.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Really the only characters who have a reason to travel together are Ophilia and H'aanit.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Olberic is generally a pretty friendly and supportive person through all his interlude conversations. Despite the limited party chat, I feel like he sort of solves the resolution of his quest by helping his fellow travelers.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Kashuno posted:

Tressa is a young girl 'looking for adventure' who has no problem murdering people

:capitalism:

quote:

Olberic is a noble warrior out to protect the weak who helps Primrose on a personal revenge quest

She wants revenge for a noble that was murdered. Olberic can relate.

quote:

Alfyn is trying to become a better doctor by joining up with a lady who prays to heal people

Prayers can objectively heal people in this universe, but can't cure illness which is what Alfyn wants to do.

quote:

Primrose is a woman who is consumed by a need to get vengeace, but instead will help a guy dig into some ruins.

Girl's allowed to have a hobby :shrug:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Prayers can literally heal death in this world

but only death by combat

Your Computer posted:

Really the only characters who have a reason to travel together are Ophilia and H'aanit.

Cyrus and Tressa kinda work. Cyrus is always interested to learn more stuff, and Tressa comes across rare trinkets and poo poo on the regular. Tressa wants adventure and Cyrus is definitely one to get himself into adventures.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kashuno posted:

Prayers can literally heal death in this world

but only death by combat

But so can drugs.

If anything this game proves drugs are better than God.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

But so can drugs.

The drugs in this game are pretty good

But praying to the secret star god is pretty good too

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Bringing someone back to life is fairly basic stuff that you can do any time, but only by channelling all your strength can you invoke the direct will of an actual god to let someone do a thing, and then do the same thing again. That is true divine power.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Therion travels with the other seven octopaths because they are all super, super hot, and none of the rando NPCs who offered to be his friend were nearly as attractive.

The real treasure is the people you were shipped with along the way.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Olberic's Chapter 2 gauntlet was a really cool divergent take on things. Hope there are other chapters that play around later on with the formula.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The best part of Olberic's chapter 2 is using scrutinize or inquire to get all the cool fight information/cards on the other people.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Harlock posted:

The best part of Olberic's chapter 2 is using scrutinize or inquire to get all the cool fight information/cards on the other people.

oh gently caress yeah those were great. the guys who wrote all the Inquire info had a lot of fun with those, especially Cecily.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I can tell by looking at you, weak to knives, axes, and light.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

And fire, well, I've never known a man not to be weak to flame.

Also my offhand comment about this game: all the ancillary NPCs are so thirsty for the main characters who brush em all off.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Evil Fluffy posted:

Weapon economy isn't too bad though. Aside from maybe the battle bow on H'aanit (depending on if she'll be using the hunter divine skill and the dmg cap passive) and the staff on a caster (because a giant club is more melee dmg), plus the axe on whomever (since for phys dmg there's a better option), you can generally put the highest atk weapons you have on a Warmaster Olberic and not hurt other party members' damage enough to be a concern.

Octopath has only 4 chapters (per character) and lacks the kind of second half that Bravely Default has, which in and of itself makes Octopath better. :colbert:

I kinda wonder if the next game will remove the stun skill from enemies and just give players a similar guard break system, that can change your weaknesses based on your equipment. I hope not though because that'd add some complexity that I'd rather live without.

Starseer can hit 3 elements (and deal solid damage), while also providing party regen (meh) and an 'all the buffs' defensive buff that is single target but can be made partywide with a divine skill, plus BP boost is real good and with the aforementioned divine skill from dancer it means you could give a partywide BP gain boost which is huge. Especially if someone else buffed the Starseer, allowing them to provide 8-9 turns of +2BP to the party, on top of 8-9 turns of all the defensive buffs. Being able to shut down an enemy's ability to buff itself can have occasional bouts of usefulness too.

RoboCicero posted:

Dancer Divine rockets the value of all the buffs into the stratosphere and you can bootstrap it by casting BP Boost on yourself the first turn. Aside from general utility, Shooting Stars is a good all-around damage skill when you're farming. Moon Reflection seems kind of bad at first, but it combos with the Runelord Runes really well.

I finally sat down and used it doing Prim's 3 and 4 last night and definitely understand the appeal a lot more. BP Boost alone is great for feeding the Runelord Tressa Engine, I'll have to play around with the divine buffs too.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Mega64 posted:

But so can drugs.

There's a God who oversees drugs though?

Natural 20 posted:

Oh yes.

Mega64 posted:

(Ch4 Therion) Eh, it seemed pretty one-sided to me.

Though (Post-C4 Side Quest) I had a good laugh at the story of the Princess and the Thief.

But this owns. Cordelia is certainly thirsty for that Therion apple.

Anyway, the relationships between the main characters and anyone else is all intentionally left open-ended so you can interpret their actions in whatever way you desire.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kashuno posted:

if you really start to pick things apart like this, you realize that almost no one has reason to travel together. Other than Alfyn and Therion with their amazing bromance.

Olberic helping Primrose isn't that far-fetched and he's not someone who hates killing let alone someone who is against the idea of revenge. Considering Primrose's targets and their activities his desire to protect the weak lines up with her goals pretty well and his helping her is one of the easiest pairings to justify if not the easiest.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Yeah, I could see Olberic joining up with most of the cast, he's a knight who wants to help people, and most of the others have some sort of admirable mission that he would support. Tressa and Alfyn too, they're just out to have adventures and find treasure or heal people -- they'd have no problem tagging along with a cleric who's going around visiting towns or a hunter looking for her master. Even Primrose's story isn't that hard to get on board with, because it's basically the same as Olberic's except in tone. "My noble house was murdered, I'm looking for the perpetrators." I'd think Tressa and Alfyn would be happy to join them and give themselves a chance to do some good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The biggest discrepancy is Therion IMO. I can't see him proactively making the decision to join up with anyone else, nor could I see him accepting help from anyone else during his own intro scenario.

With everyone else you can at least squint your eyes and make it make at least a little sense. It's easy to see people like Tressa, Cyrus, Alfyn, and Ophelia helping out in almost all of the scenarios except Therion's and Primrose's, and even then some of them would come to Primrose's aid chasing down an evildoer (especially someone like Olberic).

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Alfyn is totally cool with Therion and everything he does. Therion is also down to drink with his doctor

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Therion's plot doesn't necessarily make sense if you didn't pick him first, but what we learn about him combined with the idea that he meets this crew a long the way after getting the bangle put on him doesn't make it seem so impossible.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Therion works great if you start with him. He just goes along and people kind of join him and he just "whatevers" and keeps going.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Alfyn is a lowkey boozehound and it rules

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I kinda want a story where Alfyn enters a town as a beer festival is going on.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Primrose is patient and the trail isn't about to go cold, so she can help out her new friends while walking all the way to the other side of the realm.

The thing about Therion is that in regard to his loner schtick he's obviously full of poo poo.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

^burtle posted:

Therion's plot doesn't necessarily make sense if you didn't pick him first, but what we learn about him combined with the idea that he meets this crew a long the way after getting the bangle put on him doesn't make it seem so impossible.

The bangle literally gets put on him at the end of the dungeon that he goes through with the rest of the party.

Therion's story makes infinite more sense if you start with him.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Not as weird as when your character gets put in jail and then poof you are a group of 6 people in the cell.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Bombadilillo posted:

Not as weird as when your character gets put in jail and then proof you are a group of 6 people in the cell.

That's definitely true. I've run into that twice recently and it really breaks my suspension of disbelief.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bombadilillo posted:

Not as weird as when your character gets put in jail and then poof you are a group of 6 people in the cell.

Ophilia Ch4 Loved that Ophilia got absolutely clowned on by a couple of random vils before going out to murder a dude

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Some Numbers posted:

The bangle literally gets put on him at the end of the dungeon that he goes through with the rest of the party.

Therion's story makes infinite more sense if you start with him.

I'm not on the payroll man, I just mop the floors here.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

Ophilia Ch4 Loved that Ophilia got absolutely clowned on by a couple of random vils before going out to murder a dude

Cool callback in Ophelia's chapter 4.When Mattias dies, he disintegrates into a cloud of darkness/dust. Just like how Lucia and Yvon died in their monstrous forms. In the Gate of Finis, Mattias's diary reveals he obtained eternal life 100 years ago through a book Lyblac let him use.

Mattias is a bloodcrystal user, although he displays no monstrous traits like Yvon and Lucia, so I assume he focused on simple longevity instead of Immortality+power that requires higher-grade blood crystals.

The cutscene viewer in the journal is pretty great.
Wish travel/party banters were included though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

"oh yeah the archmagus boss is really easy if you have reflect" the thread says as I try to fight it and get blown the gently caress up

(though tbf my main is at 49 and the rest of my party is 38 so i totally deserved it)

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 7, 2018