Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

reignofevil posted:

But who is that pale skinned fellow all in black. Sure it reminds me of that pete white fellow but on the other hand maybe the creators were intentionally making them look very similar in order to fool me.

You're right, but it wasn't in order to fool you! That's actually Rusty's mental image of Pete White, so it makes sense that you'd see some similarities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

reignofevil posted:

But who is that pale skinned fellow all in black. Sure it reminds me of that pete white fellow but on the other hand maybe the creators were intentionally making them look very similar in order to fool me.

Thanatos?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
:sigh: shoulda gone with Enrico Matassa

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mantis42 posted:

Rusty wakes up next to a bug lady the next episode. He totally hosed a Zorak.

That would make for a good thread title if we weren't in a new season right now

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Phenotype posted:

I just didn't understand why, if the prostitutes were all Blackhearts, they hadn't attacked the party by the time Brock crashes in with his knife in his hand. I guess that explains while they're having a good time, if they were all date-rape-drugged. I just figured the Spanish Fly didn't have any effect up until they all turned into monsters, since you usually can't count on Rusty's inventions to do what they're supposed to.

Think of it in terms of going too far. The drug, I mean. Well, yeah, Rusty went too far, but... OK... just talking about the drug.

At first, it works as intended: the ladies get fuzzy-headed and physically aroused. So Pete White gets a BJ, some of the others ladies are making out with some of the guests, and everything is going mellow--the mission is forgotten because they've got other things on their minds. Namely, how to scratch a sudden itch they have in a spot that they probably don't know is slightly mutated to facilitate such scratching of said itches.

Brock arrives one minute late. Things are going good. But, the drug keeps working, and the girls continue to mutate. And then, boom: brundleflies.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Also p sure there is a tweet by either Jackson or Hammer saying it was the black hearts.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I hope there's some Dermott this season but I'm skeptical.

Yeah, there's no way Dermott's (justifiably) vindictive grandmother would want to take advantage of Rusty's new found success inheritance.

Nor would it be out of the question for Dermott's mom, who has the hots for Hank, to comeback in the picture now that Hank is starting to have a (relatively) healthy relationship.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm mean, we've already said the show isn't a puzzlebox because it isn't written that way.

We know they were Blackhearts simply from the evidence and statements by the people who wrote the show.

Whether or not they were supposed to attack and we're overwhelmed by doc's Spanish fly or if Molotov was bluffing on what they were doing they're is irrelevant. The scene played out the way it did because it was a cool as gently caress musical/animation sequence that ended on a perfect coda for Brock.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'm starting to regret bringing that part up

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Hah, I'm not arguing here, that picture posted last page was pretty definitive. I didn't know there was official word on it either way, I just assumed it was a bluff because of how it played out. I've never gone back and checked the prostitutes against the Blackhearts or whatever.

drrockso20 posted:

If they aren't then it kinda leaves a massive plot hole regarding that group since they never get brought up again even though they should be kinda important

Well that's not really true. None of them even had names or gimmicks. What happened to the nameless OSI mooks who survived the battle with the Monarch? You can just assume they broke up or some of them are running mission control the next time you see Mol, or something.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 7, 2018

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

In my defense I haven't watched Operation PROM in at least 3 years, so me getting confused makes sense

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Phenotype posted:

Hah, I'm not arguing here, that picture posted last page was pretty definitive. I didn't know there was official word on it either way, I just assumed it was a bluff because of how it played out. I've never gone back and checked the prostitutes against the Blackhearts or whatever.

molotov didn't count on doc being a threat because she thought that he was just a dead weight holding brock from his true potential. there's no reason at all to think she was bluffing, her threat was directed at brock. she's playing dirty pool because she and brock are evenly matched, she knows this, so her leverage is by threatening everyone around brock that he nominally cares about. she just didn't account for doc neutralizing her elite assassin squad with creepy drugs

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Counterpoint, Molotov knows drat well if she slaughtered the Venture clan, Brock would stop at nothing to bury her. No more cat and mouse, no more second chances, just brutal death would be coming for her. That's not something she wants.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
It's a cartoon, you nerds

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Of course it was the black hearts you dumb asses

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Also Jonas Sr becoming a permanent character and being instantly killed by Pete's axe are both equally unlikely and bad ideas

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Can we move on now please

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Not until the 19th

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

Counterpoint, Molotov knows drat well if she slaughtered the Venture clan, Brock would stop at nothing to bury her. No more cat and mouse, no more second chances, just brutal death would be coming for her. That's not something she wants.

brock and molotov are shown to be equally matched, i dont think she's worried about that. she just needs to get brock to go somewhere else for a while and the best way to do that is threaten to kill the boys

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's starting to fizz, that's good!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

noooowwwww shake it

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shindragon posted:

Also p sure there is a tweet by either Jackson or Hammer saying it was the black hearts.

Don’t they say something like “sometimes you never see the bullets you miss” about that scene on the commentary?

I thought that was in reference to the killer flies being the Blackhearts.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

To move on to a new topic, anyone else get a chuckle from that Godfather 2 homage they did in the new episode?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I quite enjoyed the Jaws references too.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Thinking about stuff from episode 2 of this new season...

What was the deal with with the Blue Morpho basement switcheroo? Did 21 tilt the candle a different way and it opened to a different room? Did the real Blue Morpho come back and do something so his secret room couldn't be found anymore? Are we supposed to think that 21 was crazy and it was always a lovely basement?

In any case, why write it this way? Why is it important to the story that DMTM not see the hideout?

I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Seriously why was Pete almost naked. The only reason I can think of is HELPeR was going to feed him to Jonas?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Bobulus posted:

What was the deal with with the Blue Morpho basement switcheroo? Did 21 tilt the candle a different way and it opened to a different room? Did the real Blue Morpho come back and do something so his secret room couldn't be found anymore? Are we supposed to think that 21 was crazy and it was always a lovely basement?

In any case, why write it this way? Why is it important to the story that DMTM not see the hideout?

Not sure what the in-universe explanation will be, but the out of universe reason would presumably to get the Monarch in the clear: with the other Blue Morpho showing up, people will assume that Monarch was merely taking advantage of the Blue Morpho situation and pretending to be him to try to spook Wide Wale out of arching Venture, while DMTM writes off Gary's confession as him being crazy or something

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

SeanBeansShako posted:

Seriously why was Pete almost naked. The only reason I can think of is HELPeR was going to feed him to Jonas?

He'd been through a bunch of haunted house poo poo on his way to the lobby. That does things to a person.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Random thoughts

I really like the part in the first episode where Doc told Orpheus that they aren't friends and Orpheus completely mishears him and no one corrects him.

In the second episode I really like when DMTM tries to assure Gary after snapping at him

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

glam rock hamhock posted:

Random thoughts

I really like the part in the first episode where Doc told Orpheus that they aren't friends and Orpheus completely mishears him and no one corrects him.

In the second episode I really like when DMTM tries to assure Gary after snapping at him

Hahahahaha yeah. Gary was totally not having it though. Granted can’t blame her for being stressed out her husband’s life is on the line.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bobulus posted:

I think this tips off that the Blue Morpho they see at the end is the real one. He went back to his old hideout and grabbed all his poo poo.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

PostNouveau posted:

I think this tips off that the Blue Morpho they see at the end is the real one. He went back to his old hideout and grabbed all his poo poo.

[spoiler]What's weird is he must have gone there twice - he got the car earlier in the day, before 21 goes "I said I was taking the car".

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

PostNouveau posted:

yeah I thought that was obvious
he has the car that 21 thought Monarch had taken that morning, then at some point between 21 leaving the house and coming back with DrMrs the real BM sends the cave into 'inconspicuous' mode

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

For some reason, the thing that made me laugh the most in ep 1 was The Alchemist quoting Stevie Wonder's Living For the City as he got out of the car.

"Skyscrapers, and everything!"

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

porking a pork bun posted:

He'd been through a bunch of haunted house poo poo on his way to the lobby. That does things to a person.

But he played the Bauhaus back in the day!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

glam rock hamhock posted:

By that I mean since I've seen next week's episode, I already know what I'm gonna rename the thread.

So, it's not Red Death's "Uhhhhhh...", then?

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Spoiler for an episode that you actually haven't seen yet

Blue Morpho is Vendata and has a touching moment with Jonas Sr now that they're both cyborgs

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Question Friend posted:

Blue Morpho is Vendata and has a touching moment with Jonas Sr now that they're both cyborgs

That would also mean that the Monarch and his Father trying to kill Rusty Venture is a family tradition

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

SeanBeansShako posted:

A bunch of smoke was starting to build up, right? Maybe a fire, which Pete took off his jacket to snuff out.

Question Friend posted:

I love that idea. Blue Vendata, Cyborg Jonas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Wasn’t that a steam pipe that broke open? If you had to sit in a hot steamy room trying to work wouldn’t you strip down?