Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Slim Mat posted:

Markers will widen the skill gap.
Maybe between like the bottom 90% of players and the top 10% of players just because the bottom 90% wont use it/wont communicate. But the top 10% of players is still a LOT of players(and probably where most people here are?), and I definitely think the skill gap between the top 10% and top 1% will narrow because of it. It takes a lot more "skill" to say "2 players at 115 200m away 2nd level of the yellow building" and have someone be able to place that than it does to say "2 people on yellow marker" and to just have them physically look at a marker in game.

People at the higher skill levels already had the communication/map knowledge necessary to figure out where people are, having them physically marked will make figuring that out easier. But people at lower skill levels have a hell of a time figuring out where people are shooting at/from, so they gain a LOT more from being able to just look at a marker. How many times have you heard people say "Someone behind that tree over there!" "Which tree?" "The left one!!!". That happens a lot less at higher skill levels.

Personally I don't have a big issue with it. I think being able to look and have it marked on your minimap would have been great, while having a marker in the real world might kind of "casualize" the game more but I'm pretty 'eh about it.

Apogee15 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

can you block the ping because if not i will spam it always

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015

Thermopyle posted:

I've got a lot more to say about how your analogy is not relevant but I'm sure people are tired of long posts about the subject.

Nah, friend, discussion of a hot topic is good. Most this thread has moved in weeks. What's your take?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

VulgarandStupid posted:

Erangel has received some improvements.
Small clusters of houses have been added to some areas of Erangel.

Anyone who played the test server and noticed any map changes? I'd like to prepare before this hits the main servers.
I've not even been able to get into a match, probably due to ping locking.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I really only played test for the pinging and mainly on Sanhok, but I know they added some cover to the beaches. They are more ridge-like now I believe instead of big open spaces. I still wish they would up the loot spawn so a squad could get looted up at like... Farm or Ferry Pier or... just a smaller cluster of houses. :( Sanhok circles and loot are so god drat good why won't they listen!!!!

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah I wish they would up the loot spawns also. The event mode on erangel using the pgi rules was pretty nice. 1.5x AR, 1.2x smg

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Slim Mat posted:

Nah, friend, discussion of a hot topic is good. Most this thread has moved in weeks. What's your take?

I don't really remember, and I've kind of moved on from thinking about it, but I think it had something to do with the idea that the current difficulty level of vehicles is just a snapshot in time they've been more difficult in the past.

You could make the skill ceiling higher by making it so when your wheels touched an incline greater than 13.27 degrees the vehicle would explode. That wouldn't make the game better. In other words, not everything that could increase or decrease the skill ceiling can be justified by how it changes the skill ceiling.

(again, I feel the need to point out that I'm not claiming any objective reality here about what makes the game better. Some crazy people might like such a change to vehicles.)

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

They released an update to the test servers to remove the ping system.

quote:

Update 3 - 08/07/2018
Removed from UI/UX:
You can now place map markers without opening the map.
Right-clicking while pressing the Alt key places a marker on the map at the aimed spot.
Key bindings for this may be customized in the Options menu.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
It was pretty obvious that it wasn't making it to live. The whole being able to mark a crate in the air was game breaking.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
The Kar98 is overpowered imo. Only a crate weapon should be able to drop someone with a lvl 2 helmet and full health in one shot. Or make it a 7.92×57mm with its own ammo that is harder to find.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

JEEVES420 posted:

The Kar98 is overpowered imo. Only a crate weapon should be able to drop someone with a lvl 2 helmet and full health in one shot. Or make it a 7.92×57mm with its own ammo that is harder to find.

Move around more or go after crates? Kar98 headshots are certainly not a given and I blame only myself when I get knocked by one. The best update they did was put level 3 helmets in the crate and make that item the best in the game. When everyone had level 3's Kar98's and M24's were very bad.

Also the Kar98 headshot is the most satisfying kill/knock in the game :shrug:

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 7, 2018

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Hockles posted:

They released an update to the test servers to remove the ping system.

Are there screenshots of what this looked like in game? I honestly didn't see much problem with the idea of putting a marker on the world (portal 2 style) in order to facilitate callouts, so long as the crate exploit was fixed and you prevented people from binding it to Mouse1 or whatever your fire key is.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Stop standing still. Kar98 has the slowest rate of fire in the game, slow bullet velocity and a good amount of drop. The DPS is horrendous, it’s only good for headshots in level 2 helmets.

A lot of high level players ignore the Kar98 because it’s not really that good.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Thom P. Tiers posted:

It was pretty obvious that it wasn't making it to live. The whole being able to mark a crate in the air was game breaking.

Well, i mean...they couldve just removed the ability to mark crates.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Shroud said he didn’t like them, they had to go.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Thermopyle posted:

Well, i mean...they couldve just removed the ability to mark crates.

That probably would have required them to re-work the artwork of a crate and make it not a physical object somehow.

VulgarandStupid posted:

This isn't that true unless you are talking about actual esports competitions. It's a really good gun for high level players because they have the ability to hit insane headshots.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Fano posted:

Are there screenshots of what this looked like in game? I honestly didn't see much problem with the idea of putting a marker on the world (portal 2 style) in order to facilitate callouts, so long as the crate exploit was fixed and you prevented people from binding it to Mouse1 or whatever your fire key is.

Here are many screenshots.

https://clips.twitch.tv/GleamingHelpfulAyeayeKeyboardCat

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

VulgarandStupid posted:

Stop standing still. Kar98 has the slowest rate of fire in the game, slow bullet velocity and a good amount of drop. The DPS is horrendous, it’s only good for headshots in level 2 helmets.

Speaking of sniper rifles... fun fact, the iron-sights for the m24 have been broken for who knows how long:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AwBCedrftY

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

lmao this doesn't look intrusive or bad at all, they just need to make it so it can't been seen if you don't have line of sight to the object the marker is on.

It's too bad that it seems like they're going to get rid of a pretty good feature entirely just because a bunch of people are crying about "muh skill ceiling"

Fano fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 7, 2018

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Fano posted:

lmao this doesn't look intrusive or bad at all, they just need to make it so it can't been seen if you don't have line of sight to the object the marker is on.

This is exactly the sentiment that another streamer friend of mine made too

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Fano posted:

It's too bad that it seems like they're going to get rid of a pretty good feature entirely

You'll still be able to place a marker on the map by clicking a button, it's just not visible in the game world. I wonder if this fixes the crate thing?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Fano posted:

It's too bad that it seems like they're going to get rid of a pretty good feature entirely just because a bunch of people are crying about "muh skill ceiling"

It's actually horrible, here to help. This is a game that takes skill; stop removing skill from the game just because you can or because you want to make it more novice-friendly to get more people to play (ping markers aren't going to get more people to play).

The correct middle ground here is definitely to just be able to point and click on something and have it mark it only on your mini map. You shouldn't be able to mark a literal god drat tree with a colored dorito for everyone to see from any angle and through any other objects. That's horrible.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Remember to post your KD to backup your opinions

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

Its not really about standing still as its peaking out landing a headshot with say an SLR or SKS and pop the helmet at the same time they fire and land a headshot with a Kar98 and I go down.

It's really only a problem on Miramar where it tends to always end in sniper wars on the rocks.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Thom P. Tiers posted:

:smug:This is a game that takes skill :smug:

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

I actually thought the k98 post was a troll but i guess not???

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I wish I had statistics to back this up, but I feel like I get killed by a kar98 headshot 1 out of 100 kills or even less frequently.

It might be that i'm so bad I get matched with other bad players, or im super elite and avoiding the kar.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Yes, I enjoy high skill ceiling games that take time to learn and become good at. As do a LOT of people that play this game in FPP. I think that's what bluehole wants too, but maybe I'm wrong.

PUBGTEAM posted:

"Last week on our test servers, we implemented a change to the marker system, which allowed players to easily place a 3D marker without opening the map. Our intention for this change was to make marking easier while supplementing call-outs and communication during fights.

Our team had lengthy discussions regarding this system, including how it affected gunplay, and we came to the conclusion that the new system needs some more tuning before it is ready for live servers. Because of this, we have removed 3D markers from the test servers and they will not be included in PC 1.0 Update #19. We are going to make some adjustments to the marker system to minimize its effect on gunplay and will be putting a revised version back on the test servers soon for another round of testing and feedback.

The test server exists specifically for this reason, so that we can squash bugs and hear your early feedback on new features to the game, so a big thanks to everyone who posted their thoughts on this new system. We look forward to hearing what you think of our revisions once the updated version rolls around."

This is their official statement on the matter. They also said there were "necessary" changes to the bluezone to be made when they rolled that patch back, and that was 4 months ago.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

When I peak out a window, around a corner/rock/tree the only thing showing is my head so it gets shot at. I can peak, get the shot off, and back in cover 95% of the time. Of those time I don't it is only the one shot on full health/helmet that bug me and therefor stand out as being over powered.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

They should change it so you have to hold down mouse button precisely for 1 ms to shoot. Any more or less is instant suicide.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Try not getting shot in the head

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Hockles posted:

Speaking of sniper rifles... fun fact, the iron-sights for the m24 have been broken for who knows how long:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AwBCedrftY

The m24 doesn't have iron sights... Hope that. gives you some insight here

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

VulgarandStupid posted:

The m24 doesn't have iron sights... Hope that. gives you some insight here

Sorry. I misused English. I meant to say "non-scoped M24"

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Nonono it's not a clip, it's a magazine

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Thom P. Tiers posted:

It's actually horrible, here to help. This is a game that takes skill; stop removing skill from the game just because you can or because you want to make it more novice-friendly to get more people to play (ping markers aren't going to get more people to play).

The correct middle ground here is definitely to just be able to point and click on something and have it mark it only on your mini map. You shouldn't be able to mark a literal god drat tree with a colored dorito for everyone to see from any angle and through any other objects. That's horrible.

if you cant see a million ways the markers could be used by skilled players and actually widen a skill gap, then you are an uncreative idiot hth

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Fano posted:

They didn't, though. So what's your point?

Fano posted:

It's not a pretty good feature, as per your own requirement. See above. They even said they'll tweak it and possibly bring it back. Relax.

JEEVES420 posted:

Its not really about standing still as its peaking out landing a headshot with say an SLR or SKS and pop the helmet at the same time they fire and land a headshot with a Kar98 and I go down.

Dude, it's "peek". Once is fine but the same typo thrice in one page? You're on my list of bad spellers now. Better watch it.

Hockles posted:

Sorry. I misused English. I meant to say "non-scoped M24"

What did you expect? The 3d model, just like the real life m24, does not have a back sight. That should be a clue. How would anyone aim a gun with only a front sight?
You're not supposed to be able to hit poo poo with it without a scope. It has the effect of nerfing the gun a little, I suppose? I don't usually take issue with WackyJacky's fact-finding but this seems like a weird complaint.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I've rediscovered the joy of squad w/ randoms. If you don't take this game that seriously and you shouldn't, it's super fun.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

underage at the vape shop posted:

if you cant see a million ways the markers could be used by skilled players and actually widen a skill gap, then you are an uncreative idiot hth

Please point out the million ways that the ping markers create a higher skill ceiling.

Marking a crate in mid air --> You can look at the terrain around it immediately and attack/scope it with ease.
Marking a player in solos far away --> check grid --> 400m away --> zero in --> start firing
Marking a player in squads so your entire team knows exactly what tree or rock they are at without any of them saying "I can't find them."

I'm so uncreative for not wanting a colored dorito to magically appear through walls when my team spots something of interest.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 7, 2018

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

What did you expect? The 3d model, just like the real life m24, does not have a back sight. That should be a clue. How would anyone aim a gun with only a front sight?
You're not supposed to be able to hit poo poo with it without a scope. It has the effect of nerfing the gun a little, I suppose? I don't usually take issue with WackyJacky's fact-finding but this seems like a weird complaint.

I think it's pretty dumb for this gun to behave completely differently from any other gun, especially if the only reason is what gun nuts in real life know about guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
You don't have to be a gun nut to realize there isn't any sights on the gun