Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Steve Yun posted:

Am I wrong in thinking the largest segment of customers who would benefit from a cheap streaming console are also the ones least likely to have high speed internet.

nope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Which is why it will cost an arm and a leg.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The Nvidia Shield is the most powerful console ever

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Healbot posted:

Which is why it will cost an arm and a leg.

they're going to make an actual x bone implant

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The thing Sony and MS were afraid of when the WiiU went soft is going to actually happen next time around. Bonus points if we have another 2008 like a month before launch. Xbone/PS4 level graphics just become the norm for TV screen gaming forever.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

... and as an added bonus, offering a cheap streaming console to people who can afford high speed internet might cannibalize your own sales. A person who would’ve happily bought a $400 console might get the $150 streaming box instead, robbing you of that potential $250.

I have no idea which way the market will actually go in real life but the idea of streaming boxes in the US make me scratch my head.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 7, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Itd make more sense in like, Japan, so why Microsoft is the one pushing it is a mystery. Well I get why from a “sell gamepass and cheap console to people whom a 400-500 dollar outlay is unreasonable” but from a “this market exists for real” I dont.

Steve Yun posted:

... and as an added bonus, offering a cheap streaming console to people who can afford high speed internet might cannibalize your own sales. A person who would’ve happily bought a $400 console might get the $150 streaming box instead, robbing you of that potential $250.

A year or two of gamepass+gold will make up that difference before you get into any other revenue that person may generate

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I would be absolutely stunned if streaming boxes become a thing.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

A person who would’ve happily bought a $400 console might get the $150 streaming box instead, robbing you of that potential $250.

Also remote processing isn’t a free service. In fact, it’s quite expensive and almost everyone charges hourly for it. You would pretty much immediately use $250 or whatever of processing power.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

It’s going to be two different models. One is going to not have a disc drive and come with gamepass for like 6 months.

The other will have the disc drive and won’t.

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot

Glenn Quebec posted:

I would be absolutely stunned if streaming boxes become a thing.

They won't.

Sony have sold 82 million PS4s and they aren't slowing down, it might become their best selling console yet. People want a traditional console.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Beastie posted:

It’s going to be two different models. One is going to not have a disc drive and come with gamepass for like 6 months.

The other will have the disc drive and won’t.

Disc drives are too cheap to be worth cutting, especially since removing the disc drive prevents you from being able to access disc-only games. Or buy a game on clearance from a store.

If streaming was the future of gaming, I wouldn’t be the only one with a PSNow subscription, which is an actual functional finished product that Sony has had for like 3 years now.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
A cheap Switch like console (Xbone powerful) with Gamepass could be very effective.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

A cheap Switch like console (Xbone powerful) with Gamepass could be very effective.

The main stumbling block with tablets is their lack of electrical power. The Switch runs at like 11 watts while even the basic PS4 and XB1 need like 200 watts. And like 70-80+ gigs of storage just for one game in many cases. And the Switch has pretty low battery life despite its low power consumption.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

univbee posted:

The main stumbling block with tablets is their lack of electrical power. The Switch runs at like 11 watts while even the basic PS4 and XB1 need like 200 watts. And like 70-80+ gigs of storage just for one game in many cases. And the Switch has pretty low battery life despite its low power consumption.

True, but I'm thinking 2020 more so than 2017.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

punk rebel ecks posted:

True, but I'm thinking 2020 more so than 2017.

Still seems unrealistic. Also, Microsoft aren't going to produce a portable console. Current rumors point to a streaming device as well as a regular console for 2020.

Streaming is going to be for the people that really love excessive latency.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They want a stream box because they want to kill consoles

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Lambert posted:

Still seems unrealistic.

I can see why. Though to be fair Holiday 2020 will be almost three years after the Switch which sits in-between PS3 and Xbone in power.

Real hurthling! posted:

They want a stream box because they want to kill consoles

I can see this.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

So there isn't going to be much of a step up graphically, right? No way PS5 or Xbox One: 2 will do 8k.

However, both Sony and Microsoft have seen that a decent amount of people (myself included) will throw down more money for more power, even at the tail end of the generation.

So where does that leave us?

My bet is Sony announces back compat in an effort to put them above and beyond Microsoft. Tough thing is, Microsoft has got two generations worth of a head start on them.

I think I'm going to amend my guess and say Xbox Portable (read: Switch) with GamePass, it's essentially an XB1 that streams the newer games, with access to the whole library all the way back to 2002.

Then, a few years in, they drop Xbox One X 2 that can get close to 8k.

Lambert posted:

Still seems unrealistic. Also, Microsoft aren't going to produce a portable console. Current rumors point to a streaming device as well as a regular console for 2020.

Streaming is going to be for the people that really love excessive latency.

Yeah, this.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I'd rather have less pop in and 60 FPS for every game than higher resolution. Both are what's most annoying about current console games. Also, loading times. But SSDs, while cheaper than they have been, still seem to expensive for console use.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A portable bone makes sense and could be feasiblish in 2020 so Microsoft 100% wont do that.

Lambert posted:

I'd rather have less pop in and 60 FPS for every game than higher resolution. Both are what's most annoying about current console games. Also, loading times. But SSDs, while cheaper than they have been, still seem to expensive for console use.

Same. Pop in is my least favorite thing and Id rather less effects if it just didnt happen.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Next gen is about ryzen cpus.
This gen was hosed from the start because of the choice to go jaguar. Decent cpus will give us higher framerates, more realistic simulations, etc to offset the plateau in resolution

Amd is just about to launch ryzen bearing apus in china this month at ps4 pro level gpu performance for some company trying to do their own version of steamboxes. By the time next gen comes along we will see ryzen paired with gpus much more powerful

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Beastie posted:

Tough thing is, Microsoft has got two generations worth of a head start on them.

The gently caress are you on about? Sony's been doing back compat since before Xbox even existed. They just aren't doing it this gen in a good way (only via PSNow for PS3, and some PS2 upscale resells). Sony just didn't want to commit resources to it and compromise the PS4, because committing resources and compromising for back compat hosed them HARD with the PS3. They might go back to it with the PS5, at least I sure as gently caress hope they do.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

univbee posted:

The gently caress are you on about? Sony's been doing back compat since before Xbox even existed. They just aren't doing it this gen in a good way (only via PSNow for PS3, and some PS2 upscale resells). Sony just didn't want to commit resources to it and compromise the PS4, because committing resources and compromising for back compat hosed them HARD with the PS3. They might go back to it with the PS5, at least I sure as gently caress hope they do.

https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/PS4-Backward-Compatibility

"PlayStation®4 is not backwards compatible and cannot play PS3, PS2, or PS1 disc-based games.

One way to play older games is to join PlayStation™Now, the PlayStation cloud-based gaming service."

According to Wiki, not all of the games are available through the subscription.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think the lesson Sony learned during the PS3 and PS4, and maybe Nintendo is learning this now too, is that backwards disc compatibility doesn't really sell consoles, and you make gobs more money by just offering the old games on your online store anyways

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I think the lesson Sony learned during the PS3 and PS4, and maybe Nintendo is learning this now too, is that backwards disc compatibility doesn't really sell consoles, and you make gobs more money by just offering the old games on your online store anyways

This was the lesson Sony learned with the PS3 pretty much. As much as people online talk about their expansive game collections, the vast majority of people just burn through their games and trade them in, never to play them again, they’re “done” with the game forever. That Sony worker who talked about that expo with different Gran Turismo gens and wondering why anyone would want to go back to the older consoles was unfortunately kind of right, that’s the prevailing opinion of people who play games on console.

Beastie posted:

https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/PS4-Backward-Compatibility

"PlayStation®4 is not backwards compatible and cannot play PS3, PS2, or PS1 disc-based games.

One way to play older games is to join PlayStation™Now, the PlayStation cloud-based gaming service."

According to Wiki, not all of the games are available through the subscription.

Yes, and I acknowledged this in my post, I just have no idea where this "head start" thing you allude to comes from. If you mean maintaining some form of inertia, the sales gap just keeps widening.

Steve Yun posted:

and maybe Nintendo is learning

ahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

univbee fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 7, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cue microsoft twitter assault touting billions of frags in bc cod games on their dismal selling console

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

This is why Netflix is so popular. People often experience something once MAYBE twoce and that's it. This is why Gamepass has so much potential.

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot
Back compat isn't a selling point for consoles.

See: the PS4 utterly shellacking the Xbox 1.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

It might be as the generations keep getting shorter and shorter, and the lines between what is considered “next gen” get blurrier.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

This gens games having huge digital libraries for millions of players will be a very big deal for early adopters in a way we havent seen before

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

a bitchin jetski posted:

Back compat isn't a selling point for consoles.

See: the PS4 utterly shellacking the Xbox 1.

Pretty sure there's a lot of other reasons why the Xbox Bone is doing badly

like literally everything about it and every decision about it they made since launch

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

BC could be a selling point for this generation. I can understand people not caring about old 360 PS3 games since overall those games ran POORLY and they ported 90% of the good ones anyway. But people are really invested in this generation and its 10x easier to port games.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

“Hi we’re Microsoft and we know we done goofed before but here is our new hybrid/portable console that runs the new games plus games all the way from Xbox One to the Original Xbox. And here is an even more expanded Game Pass.”

That would be a pretty rad.

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot

RBX posted:

BC could be a selling point for this generation. I can understand people not caring about old 360 PS3 games since overall those games ran POORLY and they ported 90% of the good ones anyway. But people are really invested in this generation and its 10x easier to port games.

Most people will forget about this generation about 6 months into the new one, just like what has happened in every other hardware generation.

BC is niche as gently caress and MS trying to use it as a tent-pole is further proof that they haven't a loving clue what they are doing anymore.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Beastie posted:

“Hi we’re Microsoft and we know we done goofed before but here is our new hybrid/portable console that runs the new games plus games all the way from Xbox One to the Original Xbox. And here is an even more expanded Game Pass.”

That would be a pretty rad.

it's got 500mb of DDR1 ram we found being used as a doorstop and it sends all your personal information directly to the fbi at all times

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

it's got 500mb of DDR1 ram we found being used as a doorstop and it sends all your personal information directly to the fbi at all times

Also, our flagship games are Gears, Halo and whatever the putrefied corpse of Rare puts out because it's still 2007, right?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Beastie posted:

It might be as the generations keep getting shorter and shorter, and the lines between what is considered “next gen” get blurrier.

The generations are getting longer if anything.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Univbee about to drop odyssey 2 life span facts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They’re right. I did the math and ps3 to PS4 was 9 some odd years.

It felt like PS2 was around forever but 6.5 years later the 3 shows up.

drat I guess I’m getting old