Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Patware posted:

i mean she actually thought she alone would manage to pass because her class environment apparently sucks and is cutthroat and that the other students would leave momo behind

she was surprised that they came through the door not that they could

That was a really weird sentiment too though because her class appeared to work together extremely well, like that entire plan was really well put together right up until she was alone when she thought a regular locked door would be enough to discourage three heroes in training from helping their classmate with a single enemy.

It would've been better if her class had displayed any of these characteristics prior to being knocked out, giving us a reason to believe that she'd think this. But no, they were really cooperative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Also she needed to eliminate two people in order to pass, so wouldn't she still be stuck on her own even if she did eliminate Momo?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Viridiant posted:

That was a really weird sentiment too though because her class appeared to work together extremely well, like that entire plan was really well put together right up until she was alone when she thought a regular locked door would be enough to discourage three heroes in training from helping their classmate with a single enemy.

It would've been better if her class had displayed any of these characteristics prior to being knocked out, giving us a reason to believe that she'd think this. But no, they were really cooperative.

oh it was loving dumb for sure

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Also she needed to eliminate two people in order to pass, so wouldn't she still be stuck on her own even if she did eliminate Momo?

If she was really playing it smart, she'd eliminate two of her own teammates once they were all downed and move on without fuss.

I mean, they were going to lose either way. Might as well advance the cause, right?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

filler episodes are almost always lazy and bad so it's to be expected

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Things Momo didn't think about:

You can make a battery powered space heater
Instead of making a blanket, why not a whole thermal tent for everyone to sit inside so you no longer have a clock ticking
If their plan is to rush you after x period of time of waiting in the cold, you can just wire a flashbang to the door so it goes off when they charge in or any infinite variant on this because their plan revolves around you being on the defense and your possibilities are nearly infinite thanks to your quirk

The resolution was fine but the attempt at creating tension fell flat

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Eej posted:

Things Momo didn't think about :

Instead of making a blanket, why not a whole thermal tent for everyone to sit inside so you no longer have a clock ticking
If their plan is to rush you after x period of time of waiting in the cold, you can just wire a flashbang to the door so it goes off when they charge in or any infinite variant on this because their plan revolves around you being on the defense and your possibilities are nearly infinite thanks to your quirk

It's weird because there's two forms of tension already existing. Needing to be the first 100 to pass and needing to protect your three targets. Why is team momo hiding? None of them ate a hit the entire time. They weren't down to a single marker unable to act for fear of taking a hit.

Why not go with the good old standby? Cannon the door down. They aren't forced into the room they just start there.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

yes. absolutely

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Onmi posted:

It's weird because there's two forms of tension already existing. Needing to be the first 100 to pass and needing to protect your three targets. Why is team momo hiding? None of them ate a hit the entire time. They weren't down to a single marker unable to act for fear of taking a hit.

Why not go with the good old standby? Cannon the door down. They aren't forced into the room they just start there.

Jirou got her ear and amplifier sniped, which pinned them down long enough for the doors to be welded shut, at which point they couldn't move anymore.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Eej posted:

Things Momo didn't think about :

To be fair the handwave that Horikoshi (and filler episode writers) have for these is "Momo doen't know that item", given they make a point of delineating that she needs a in-depth knowledge of the item she wants to reproduce, including the materials used and structure.

She knows a space heater, but does she know how to make a battery-powered one?

She knows how to make a flashbang, but does she know how to make a wire-activated one?

etc etc.

It's a copout but it's there.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Jirou got her ear and amplifier sniped, which pinned them down long enough for the doors to be welded shut, at which point they couldn't move anymore.

No that they were in the building not moving in the first place. This isn't an endurance exam it's a speed exam with limited slots.

If they had been driven into that room by worse nezu with their targets getting tagged and essentially forced into a place they could be locked down and couldn't risk a fight. Then we have tension.

Instead they're in the room get trapped and it's all weird and tensionless

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Conot posted:

To be fair the handwave that Horikoshi (and filler episode writers) have for these is "Momo doen't know that item", given they make a point of delineating that she needs a in-depth knowledge of the item she wants to reproduce, including the materials used and structure.

That's literally why she has the encyclopedia as part of her outfit in the first place though. She even used it in the episode to look up the amplifier she made, because she didn't know how to make that either.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

That's literally why she has the encyclopedia as part of her outfit in the first place though. She even used it in the episode to look up the amplifier she made, because she didn't know how to make that either.

I must have missed her using the encyclopedia then :rip: me

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Conot posted:

She knows a space heater, but does she know how to make a battery-powered one?

She knows how to make a flashbang, but does she know how to make a wire-activated one?

etc etc.

It's a copout but it's there.

I'll grant you that she probably didn't think of it at the time but she definitely should be able to make all of those considering she made an amp.

Also a wire activated flashbang is just literally making one of her flashbangs, then making a wire, tying the wire to the pin of the flashbang and the door knob and figuring out how to leverage the movement of the door to pull the pin (glue the flashbang to the floor, make a pulley ceiling so that the flashbang catches on it when the door is opened far enough, etc)

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

By the time the other school broke through the door they'd be heavily debilitated from the cold. Even if they can counter that just flashbanging them isn't a solid strategy, especially when they don't know the quirks they're up against. It's not like a fairly depleted Momo, Shoji, Tsuyu and an injured Jiro are top tier fighters. In that kind of situation taking them all out super-quickly with a sonic attack from a position of safety is a pretty good strategy.

Maybe they should have had her throw out some other strategies but I think the point is that she was trying to think of something viable that the other team wouldn't have anticipated and couldn't just muscle through with superior numbers and conditions.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Nephthys posted:

By the time the other school broke through the door they'd be heavily debilitated from the cold. Even if they can counter that just flashbanging them isn't a solid strategy, especially when they don't know the quirks they're up against. It's not like a fairly depleted Momo, Shoji, Tsuyu and an injured Jiro are top tier fighters. In that kind of situation taking them all out super-quickly with a sonic attack from a position of safety is a pretty good strategy.

Maybe they should have had her throw out some other strategies but I think the point is that she was trying to think of something viable that the other team wouldn't have anticipated and couldn't just muscle through with superior numbers and conditions.

That they got into that situation in the first place was stupid. Maybe after Jiro getting blasted by sounds should have sent them running since clearly the enemy knew who they were and what they'd be doing. When they started shattering the windows to BLIND THEM the room lost all tactical advantage When they stayed in one place, where the enemy knew they were there, they DIDN'T know where the enemy was, with a guy who can create eyes to peer around corners and a girl who can TURN INVISIBLE. Is the stupidest. The fact was none of them had taken a hit, and there were two exits. If they run into the guys trying to weld the door? Who the gently caress cares, the loving exercise is about defeating and tagging the enemy. Not surviving till a time limit, they SHOULD be hunting down enemies. In fact the moment the door started to be welded, seeing as we can tell that the kids can kick those doors down, Momo can create cannons and at that point, Jiro could still do sonic waves, why the gently caress wouldn't they immediately burst through guns blazing?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I don't think it was all in all that stupid but really they should've just put them up against a more combat-oriented team that constantly forced them to take action to prevent Momo from having time to think. The problem is that filler is usually ~budget~ material so you can't have too much action going on.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Onmi posted:

That they got into that situation in the first place was stupid. Maybe after Jiro getting blasted by sounds should have sent them running since clearly the enemy knew who they were and what they'd be doing. When they started shattering the windows to BLIND THEM the room lost all tactical advantage When they stayed in one place, where the enemy knew they were there, they DIDN'T know where the enemy was, with a guy who can create eyes to peer around corners and a girl who can TURN INVISIBLE. Is the stupidest. The fact was none of them had taken a hit, and there were two exits. If they run into the guys trying to weld the door? Who the gently caress cares, the loving exercise is about defeating and tagging the enemy. Not surviving till a time limit, they SHOULD be hunting down enemies. In fact the moment the door started to be welded, seeing as we can tell that the kids can kick those doors down, Momo can create cannons and at that point, Jiro could still do sonic waves, why the gently caress wouldn't they immediately burst through guns blazing?

The issue with that is that they know entire classes are working together whereas 1-A got split into small teams. The reason they're running around in the first place is to try and find the rest of their class so they can work together. They're at a pretty huge disadvantage just running into combat without a plan or any information, particularly since everyone already knows their quirks and none of them are stand-out fighters.

Plus Jiro did try to burst through guns blazing and was instantly hit by the sniper.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Nephthys posted:

The issue with that is that they know entire classes are working together whereas 1-A got split into small teams. The reason they're running around in the first place is to try and find the rest of their class so they can work together. They're at a pretty huge disadvantage just running into combat without a plan or any information, particularly since everyone already knows their quirks and none of them are stand-out fighters.

Plus Jiro did try to burst through guns blazing and was instantly hit by the sniper.

She was hit by a sniper after the windows were shattered, as I said, the moment she was blasted with the sound attack they should have left. And irrelevant, there are four of them, even if they're being hunted, that's a good thing they need to pass quickly, they do not have the luxury of time. And none of them had even taken a hit. When you compare it to Aoyama and Iida later, where they were actually in danger and Aoyama decided he needed to make a sacrifice for the good of the class, it's ridiculous. Being in the building doesn't help them. In fact compared to literally every other student, their struggle is slow, meandering, and pointless. They actually ONLY passed because the idiot squad decided to target them, and only because of Momo. When you consider that Sero, Uraraka and Deku all work in tandem, that Kirishima saving Bakugo, Bakugo saving Kaminari, and then Kaminari defeating Cancerman, and literally everything with the rest of the class, it's ridiculous.

The entire rest of the exam is a chaotic hectic mess because there are thousands of heroes aiming for only 100 slots. But in the midst of all this insanity, not only do 4 UA students manage to escape to the building, but they're slowly and methodically targeted by a group of idiots lead by a super-idiot who doesn't understand people can open doors after you've closed them.

An episode where nothing happens completely at odds with the pacing and tone of the entire rest of the exam, instead of focusing on the camaraderie of the team, it instead gets solved by Momo and then it's all about teamwork because they opened a door that was closed 2 seconds ago. Which is quadruply hosed when you remember the whole point of this exam is the OPPOSITE of heroes sitting on their thumbs waiting for someone with a quirk to solve the situation to show up, because they realize they need a lot of heroes with an emphasis on TEAMWORK.

You can say whatever you want, but it's a terrible episode, terrible even for filler, and directly reduces Momo's character by having her be indecisive again after her Rising, and reduces what little Souji, Jiro, and Tsuyu had by making them essentially her hanger-ons.

EDIT: And it's the exact opposite of what my friend talked about regarding the Kamino arc. in Kamino, the Police were utterly on the ball, the heroes incredibly competent, and it showed that they were a threat and force to be reckoned with. Then, when All For One came and utterly crushed them, he looks good, because the heroes look good. Because they didn't do anything wrong and their plan didn't have any flaws or mistakes. Here, the filler squad don't look good, because the UA kids look dumb. they look stupid and slow and they only win because Momo decided to hit the "We win" button, which doesn't make THEM look any better, because IQ girls plan had so many holes entirely focused on things going an exact way, which could have been broken at 1000 different points and had no accountability for "And they attack back."

Onmi fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Aug 7, 2018

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

They should have added a personal reason for why Tea Girl was obsessed with Momo. Don't even have to explicitly show what happened but just make it clear that no matter what happens, even if she ends up failing too, her goal is to make sure that Momo fails. Have Tea Girl act like a Bond Villain stroking their cat and monologuing about their perfect plan. Then it's another lesson about "heros" acting villainous.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Nephthys posted:

The cold is already dumb cause Momo could've made a thermal tent and they could've sat inside warming up while they figured out what to do. To be fair, they failed at writing a super genius antagonist so it's not surprising they didn't explore all the possibilities of Momo's quirk.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Eej posted:

The cold is already dumb cause Momo could've made a thermal tent and they could've sat inside warming up while they figured out what to do. To be fair, they failed at writing a super genius antagonist so it's not surprising they didn't explore all the possibilities of Momo's quirk.

Momo's weakness is that her quirk is almost too strong so she gets confused figuring out the best thing to make for any situation. If the Tea Girl had made use of that confusion by offering her too many options and then overwhelming their group that would have been amazing. Since that's what happened to Momo during the sport's festival when Tokoyami kicked her rear end.

Apply the cold, talk about how it will hinder Froppy* and the group while preparing an all out assault while Momo is confused trying to figure out how to counter the cold. Meanwhile Momo ignores the cold and counters their assault by effectively using Jiro's and Shoji's quirks.

Either it should have been a personal rivalry between Tea Girl and Momo or it should have been a strategy based around weaknesses seen at the Sports Festival. Instead it was just weak and disappointing.

*although how she knew that Froppy would be that weak to cold was never explained either.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Slingshot hand girl is up a creek without a paddle, I didn't see her in the room,so she's in for a real treat when she meets up with the group.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Rouncer posted:

*although how she knew that Froppy would be that weak to cold was never explained either.
She's a frog, OP.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Man ya'll care way too much about a filler episode

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

this isnt even the anime thread

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I guess people expect more from mha filler considering there wasn't any in previous seasons (at least not that I can remember) and the show isn't set up like one piece or dbz where they need to make a bunch of it to avoid catching up to the manga

but it's still filler and you should go in with really low expectations

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Manatee Cannon posted:

I guess people expect more from mha filler considering there wasn't any in previous seasons (at least not that I can remember) and the show isn't set up like one piece or dbz where they need to make a bunch of it to avoid catching up to the manga

but it's still filler and you should go in with really low expectations

There was the Froppy oriented episode but I don't remember many people having a problem with it. I thought it was fine.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

This filler is less to avoid catching up to the manga and more to smooth out the cour so it can end at a good point. Same with the Froppy filler last season.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I wish they had an episode or two of that in the first season, since it moved sooo slowly.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Stexils posted:

this isnt even the anime thread
Oh holy poo poo I hadn't even noticed, lol.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Holy poo poo dude. Maybe next time just link us to your blog.

You're getting real nitpicky if you're mad that the characters had the gall to take a few seconds to check if Jiro was ok and confirm the situation before running to cover when attacked by a sniper. Nothing in that sequence happens in an unnatural way, its fine. And I'm pretty sure that it isn't irrelevant that they'd get the piss kicked out of them by trying to fight an entire class by themselves. The whole reason that Bakugo-Kirashima-Kaminari conga line happened was because Bakugo was running around half-cocked and with no plan. Just saying 'they don't have the luxury of time' doesn't cut it. Its way more of a risk to fight a losing battle than to wait a bit longer.

Plus if you actually pay attention you'll see I never said I thought it was a good episode. It was mediocre and I agree with some of the stuff you said. I don't agree that it was terrible but I don't really care to argue the point. I even complained that Momo's power wasn't used in a dynamic way in the anime thread. I just thought you were all getting carried away trying to 'solve' the episode in ways worse than what the writers came up with. The situation did actually make sense in that they were outnumbered and sufficiently countered and Momo's solution was good.

Eej posted:

How would making a thermal tent big enough for 4 people be better than just blocking the vents? You've still the same issue of her running low on resources and now they'll all be huddled together, able to be taken out with a single good attack when the enemy team bursts in which they could do at any moment. Plus I'd never even heard of a thermal tent before today. I doubt a sheltered girl like Momo has either.

This is always an issue when you try and nitpick what characters 'could've done' in a story. You open yourself up to being counter-nitpicked.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nephthys posted:

Holy poo poo dude. Maybe next time just link us to your blog.

You should really not right a post just as long after saying something this dumb.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Froppy episode was so bland it kinda cooled me on her a little when it aired honestly. I know that's not a great reason but that episode just was like the most nothing filler and she really hasn't done anything in a long time.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
https://twitter.com/heronewsnetwork/status/1026951082239516672

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

filler should be cool slice of life stuff like them checking out each other's rooms, when it tries to expand on glossed over fights it's by nature going to be ultimately pointless and underwhelming because the story works without it

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

and yet the majority of the figures are either funko pops or low budget key chains. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012