Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
You could consider adding the design with duplicate stitch after the fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Thanks, both options look like they will work for me. I’ll try the intarsia in the round and see how it goes.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
There's also this video about Strandtarsia, a combo of stranded and intarsia, that involves slipping stitches and knitting backward, the end result is basically the same I think but you might like looking at different techniques.

https://youtu.be/KWBGmps0bN8

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

I made a hat. Some of malabrigo's yarns are really hard to take a decent photo of when you have a crappy phone. Pattern is https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/move-on-up

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Which colourway is that? Hat looks great, good work.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

It's Mattise Blue, probably my favorite that they have.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Go me. I wondered if it was. I bought two skeins on Rios when it came out here, it and Teal Feather are two of my favourite cws anywhere.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

That's a lovely looking hat!

Lorryn
Nov 15, 2010

What the fade

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Oh, I love those colors so much. And a great texture change too, what's that pattern? :kimchi:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Lorryn posted:

What the fade

Oh that's awesome!

Nice of you to give your kitty a blanket too. :3:

Lorryn
Nov 15, 2010
Thanks! The pattern is what the fade?! by Andrea Mowry

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Finally finished my Ella in time for fall. I love Lene Holme Samsøe's patterns.
I've used Drops Nepal for this, it's going to be really warm and snuggly!

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
Gorgeous! Love that yoke.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

That’s a drat nice sweater. And a beautiful shawl, good cat and beautiful hat.

I just finished a scarf for my kid’s soccer team. I wanted it warm, did not have the patience to double knit it and so I went with k2 p2. I kinda winged it on some of the letters while on vacation drinking beers but I think it turned out ok.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Love that sweater!!

And a good scarf, if you fudged the letters I can't tell

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Does anyone have any tips for making a pair of knitted slippers non-skid? I've got two pairs of knit slippers that I want to send out as gifts, but I'm stumped as to the best way to make them safe to wear. They're already done, so I can't use the premade soles.

Any advice?

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
A piece of leather on the bottom, or sheepskin that you could sew or glue on? Otherwise people have had success with dotting puff paint on the bottom to give some grip. Personally I haven't had issues with mine and I didn't put anything on the soles, but ymmv.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Latex paint on the soles.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

It's cooling off and I went and made a hat about it:

Used Berroco Ultra Alpaca, pattern is https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pinnate-hat

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
That's a great hat! I finished my seaweed scarf, and need to grab some pictures. Started in on a baby blanket for a friend. Still figuring out what to do with this Caron One pound of yarn. Maybe a mermaid tail blanket, but I'm so ready to be done with my rainbow blanket.

Lorryn
Nov 15, 2010

The first few of what will probably be many star ornaments. These still need to be stuffed but they’re blocked
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/scintillation

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Lorryn posted:

The first few of what will probably be many star ornaments. These still need to be stuffed but they’re blocked
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/scintillation

These are so cute

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

My kids are really into a video game called Splatoon so I made them squid hats. Here's the second one I made. They came out great!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Aaaa those are great, would wear.

ButtsFromTheSky
Mar 12, 2018
-----

ButtsFromTheSky fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 24, 2022

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

ButtsFromTheSky posted:

Recently picked knitting back up after a long hiatus and here's what I've made in the last month and a half:

Alicia Plummer's Mainer sweater. I liked this knit except she included a bunch of Jesus quotes in the pattern. Yarn is Tahki Tara Tweed in Charcoal.
https://www.imgur.com/a/KQzbgfA.jpg

I had a bunch of that tweed leftover so I made my husband a beanie.
https://imgur.com/a/YFsNX7p.jpg

Lastly I'd started this blanket years ago for a wedding present but it's been languishing in UFO land for about four years. I made a resolution to finish it this year finally. I have no clue what the yarn is but the pattern is free from Lion Brand and called Autumn Lace afghan.
https://imgur.com/a/wmNldx7.jpg

Did you guys see this one?

https://m.imgur.com/r/knitting/BFDONrQ

ButtsFromTheSky
Mar 12, 2018
-----

ButtsFromTheSky fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 24, 2022

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

That dude is my hero.

I'm about to pull the trigger on level 1 of the Knitters Guild Association master course (just waiting for my sign on). Anybody done this or know someone who's done this?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
YMMV but it seems like paying a bunch of money to have tiny martinets crab and nitpick about your paperwork and bullshit hoop-jumping more than actual knitting.

Here's the official Ravelry group including discussion from/for people going through it https://www.ravelry.com/groups/the-knitting-guild-association-tkga

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

YMMV but it seems like paying a bunch of money to have tiny martinets crab and nitpick about your paperwork and bullshit hoop-jumping more than actual knitting.

Here's the official Ravelry group including discussion from/for people going through it https://www.ravelry.com/groups/the-knitting-guild-association-tkga

Thanks for the link, I always forget about the Rav forums.

The folks in the level 1 thread seem like their skill set is not necessarily English comp and/or reading, unless the material is that much of a mess.

One of my local community colleges does a lot of non-credit classes in arts and crafts and I'd love to teach knitting and/or basic dyeing. I feel like after 15 years of doing this, I'm qualified to teach up to intermediate but not necessarily advanced. If I get something out of the master class, great. If I don't, well, slapping that certificate down on people who don't know any better might make it easier to get the job :v:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It sounds like the directions are super extensive and not the clearest. Going through the Level 1 thread, people with questions include scientists, technical writers, someone with her own copy of the Chicago Manual, etc. -- they don't sound generally clueless.

I personally feel like I would do better focusing on knitting and new techniques rather than writing book reports, citing sources for swatches, buying exactly the right size of box to mail things in, only being allowed to use pastels with a super strict interpretation of pastel -- you name it -- and having to redo the whole thing if I miss a bullshit hoop.

And I mean, I was an English major and I'm now a professional copy editor. I'm not intimidated; I'm all about bibliography formatting and precision. But the degree to which they take it seems more like powertripping than anything useful.

If you're set on it, I would be curious to hear your thoughts. I obv have a strong impression, but I don't know personally anyone who's done it.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 28, 2018

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

It sounds like the directions are super extensive and not the clearest. Going through the Level 1 thread, people with questions include scientists, technical writers, someone with her own copy of the Chicago Manual, etc. -- they don't sound generally clueless.

I personally feel like I would do better focusing on knitting and new techniques rather than writing book reports, citing sources for swatches, buying exactly the right size of box to mail things in, only being allowed to use pastels with a super strict interpretation of pastel -- you name it -- and having to redo the whole thing if I miss a bullshit hoop.

And I mean, I was an English major and I'm now a professional copy editor. I'm not intimidated; I'm all about bibliography formatting and precision. But the degree to which they take it seems more like powertripping than anything useful.

If you're set on it, I would be curious to hear your thoughts. I obv have a strong impression, but I don't know personally anyone who's done it.

I genuinely appreciate your perspective. It does seem like they're doing a bit of gate keeping or trying to pretend it's like a college program which has me like :rolleyes: but if I truly got some academic knowledge from it, I'd be happy.

I can't tell if it's stupid nitpicky bullshit or if they're just particular sperglords like me, tbh. My people tend to take that poo poo to a weird, unpleasant level. Yesterday I checked out of the thread after hitting the 'which yarn to use, which needles to use, how to get gauge' freakouts because I think these are things any knitter who is attempting a master class should know. There is particularly one poster in there who I think asks stupid questions and shits it up with feelings which makes it much harder for me to sort tl;dr from material errors/omissions. Granted, I don't have the material so I can't tell for certain what's going on, and from at least a couple answered questions it does seem like the material is not perfect (10/10 would do as instructed and cite it because I'm that kind of person). I don't love that they seem to leave pastel open to interpretation, but if you asked me about that green and rose yarn in that one post, I'd say def no on the rose and maybe on the green depending on lighting (looked neon to me).

I was confused about the question from the scientist and you'd know more about this than me, so I'll ask you: the bib layout the chair posted looked like bog standard APA (idk why they're using APA but w/e). Is there a situation in APA or Chicago in which you would not cite or note inline? It occurs to me they might be making their own weird mishmash style and I'll probably ask them about it once I slog through this thing.

For now I'm definitely leaning toward doing it unless I find something that's just a glaring problem, but I'm glad you pointed this out because it gives me a better idea what to expect. Looking through the co-chair's blog, I actually know how to do most of if not all the techniques in L1, I mainly need critique on the finished product and would benefit from some structure in learning what I don't know how to do yet. I'm not really an executive functioning kind of person so I just learn techniques all scattershot and I think there are some holes. Plus, I intentionally haven't worked since 2015 so it might not hurt to be able to say 'yeah I did some study and look what I got' instead of being like 'yeah, you know, I knitted a bunch and learned a bunch of cool stuff'.

In the interests of not making GBS threads up the thread entirely and because I love this thing so far:

It's based on Spring in September because I've never knit a sweater before and needed a place to start and uses Dither for the color work. It is huge because I am huge right now and wanted a long, tunic-like sweater with a cowl, and this season seems to be all about crop tops and vee necks which boggles my mind. It's a drop shoulder sweater and the original has the front and back ribbed at the top, then sewn together which is very cute but will not keep me warm, so I'm going to do either a three needle bind off or kitchener/other grafting for the shoulder seam and pick up for the cowl along the neckline.

It's Caron One Pound because it's cheap, really soft, and knits up fast af. IDK if I can block out the tension problems in some of the stranded section, but I'll try.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 29, 2018

ButtsFromTheSky
Mar 12, 2018
-----

ButtsFromTheSky fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 24, 2022

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Good luck! I don't think I'm anywhere near that sort of awesome at knitting.

But I do love getting Simply Knitting in the mail monthly, and I think I am gonna make a sea horse cushion soon.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

ButtsFromTheSky posted:

What I've read about TKGA and the grading is that if you're already an intermediate to advanced knitter then the program gives you structure to learn things and take your knitting skills to the next level. I've considered doing it because I like having a goal to work toward and accomplish, and I think it would be neat to reexamine a lot of what I think I know about knitting. There's a podcast out there called Mastering the Knits that chronicles two women going through level 1. It's not the best podcast but it does give some insight into the process as they're doing it which I found interesting.

Thanks for the tip and the input, I might have to see if they have some transcripts somewhere (I do not do podcasts).

Aerofallosov posted:

Good luck! I don't think I'm anywhere near that sort of awesome at knitting.

But I do love getting Simply Knitting in the mail monthly, and I think I am gonna make a sea horse cushion soon.

I'd never consider myself awesome at knitting but people seem to be impressed with the crap I make, and I figure I'm at least competent after 15 years of it.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
Anyone tried out the new knitting app, Making Things? I've seen a few comments from people that made me wonder if it was really that great, and I didn't like my read-through of their ToS. But could go either way.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Good news folks, if you're in the market for unusably small amounts of yarn,

Dollarama has you covered!!

(in case you can't tell from the photo, these balls were about 2 inches tall)

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Might get a dishcloth out of it, I guess? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
They'd be fine for small amounts of colourwork I guess, if you don't mind using (presumably) cheap acrylic.